Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Michael_Gary_Scott

Norwegian Naval Strike Missile Test (2013)

8 comments in this topic

Members
68 posts
9,188 battles

I think this is a Naval Strike Missile (NSM) being fired from a Norwegian Skjold Class Corvette (from what the comments say) in a 2013 test. The descriptor says it is a "Joint Strike Missile" (JSM), but I think that is the term for the soon-to-be-developed air-launched version of it. I wonder how it compares or contrasts to the long-serving Harpoon Missile. Quite a spectacular explosion.

Edited by Tankerus
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
7,102 posts
5,569 battles

Does it count as damage saturation for superstructure?

Members
68 posts
9,188 battles

According to this site (https://gcaptain.com/moment-of-impact-norway-navy-test-fires-long-range-missile/), the KNM Trondheim (Royal Norwegian Navy Oslo Class Frigate F302, 1,450 tons, Served from 1966-2006) was the ship that was shot.

Edited by Tankerus

Members
68 posts
9,188 battles

Here is a video that shows both a Harpoon and an NSM hitting the same target.

The decommissioned U.S.S. Ogden (LPD-5) is first hit by a Harpoon Missile launched from South Korean Submarine SS-068 Yi Sun-Sin and then hit by a Naval Strike Missile launched from the Royal Norwegian Navy Frigate F310 HNoMS Fridtjof Nansen at RIMPAC 2014. 

Edited by Tankerus

Beta Testers
11,187 posts
On 2/3/2021 at 5:05 AM, Tankerus said:

I think this is a Naval Strike Missile (NSM) being fired from a Norwegian Skjold Class Corvette (from what the comments say) in a 2013 test. The descriptor says it is a "Joint Strike Missile" (JSM), but I think that is the term for the soon-to-be-developed air-launched version of it. I wonder how it compares or contrasts to the long-serving Harpoon Missile. Quite a spectacular explosion.

To start with, this missile only has 125kg of explosive.  The Harpoon has 225kg.   Guess who has a bigger punch.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this