Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MoeLykit

Re-unite a Veteran with his Ship.

11 comments in this topic

[5IN]
Members
335 posts
25,311 battles

This is Mr. Needles, he Served on the USS Yorktown, I noticed his Hat and told him about being there for the Anchors Away Event, I shared a few pictures, he said the planes were wrong. He asked to have the pictures because he Hadn't seen it since he Decommisioned her.

Can we get a campaign going to Fund a Trip for him and his Wife to tour the Ship? maybe if you go back for another Event?

IMG_20210201_104823829.jpg

IMG_20190713_091828386.jpg

• Cool 6

[CO-OP]
Members
2,848 posts
28,463 battles

I don't know if WG would sponsor this for an individual, but if you start a Go-Fund me or similar fundraiser I would be happy to contribute.

• Cool 1

[HKC]
Members
757 posts

Its a nice thought.  That said the danger from traveling and mingling at a heritage site with strangers is real during Covid.  If anything gets going it would be wise to set it up for a year or two from now.

• Meh 1

[_I_]
Members
341 posts
30 minutes ago, Viva_Palestine said:

Its a nice thought.  That said the danger from traveling and mingling at a heritage site with strangers is real during Covid.  If anything gets going it would be wise to set it up for a year or two from now.

Covid is a thing, but so is time. Covid can be mitigated, time can't. It would be quite sad for this older gentleman to pop his clogs before the trip came to fruition.

I'd happily part with a few quid to help.

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,783 posts
40 minutes ago, Viva_Palestine said:

The fella in the picture with the hat, doesn't look too concerned about it.

• Meh 1

Members
312 posts
10,424 battles

I would be happy to donate.  

WOW did a fundraiser to help save the USS Batfish. 

This would have a more human touch.

OP, did you ask him what his specialty was onboard?

[HKC]
Members
757 posts
1 hour ago, Hookie_Bell said:

Covid is a thing, but so is time. Covid can be mitigated, time can't. It would be quite sad for this older gentleman to pop his clogs before the trip came to fruition.

I'd happily part with a few quid to help.

I understand that sentiment.  That said 1.  He isn't that old. He looks to be maybe 65, and hail.  Waiting a year, or until he has the vaccine is not a long time.   2. Would it be worth a couple days of nostalgia if he got covid and very sick with lasting secondary repercussions, or died.  He is right smack in the most at-risk group.    Its not to diminish the kind thought, but covid is a real and undiminished threat.

• Meh 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,783 posts
23 minutes ago, Viva_Palestine said:

I understand that sentiment.  That said 1.  He isn't that old. He looks to be maybe 65, and hail.  Waiting a year, or until he has the vaccine is not a long time.   2. Would it be worth a couple days of nostalgia if he got covid and very sick with lasting secondary repercussions, or died.  He is right smack in the most at-risk group.    Its not to diminish the kind thought, but covid is a real and undiminished threat.

I think that it is not the intention of this thread to discuss your personal opinion on covid.

How about let the thread get back on track.

• Cool 1

[HKC]
Members
757 posts
26 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I think that it is not the intention of this thread to discuss your personal opinion on covid.

How about let the thread get back on track.

Its not my personal opinion about covid.  Its a sad reality.  You see: I actually care about veterans enough to take the time to mention it. Far more than, say, the purity of a message thread.

Edited by Viva_Palestine
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[5IN]
Members
335 posts
25,311 battles

I had forseen this when I thought of it, 1. he was wearing a mask and only snatched it off for a second for the Picture, I agree travel etc is not an option this second, I was thinking maybe when Wargaming re-opens the Anchors Away events(if ever) he would be an awesome addition to the team there to talk about that ship.  I would start a GoFundMe but I've never done it before and I don't want to be accused of trying to milk this for anything, So I thought it best to put it in Wargaming or another individual with experience making something like this happen, I will happily pay for at least one night for a hotel for him and his Wife.

• Cool 1

[HKC]
Members
757 posts
1 hour ago, MoeLykit said:

I had forseen this when I thought of it, 1. he was wearing a mask and only snatched it off for a second for the Picture, I agree travel etc is not an option this second, I was thinking maybe when Wargaming re-opens the Anchors Away events(if ever) he would be an awesome addition to the team there to talk about that ship.  I would start a GoFundMe but I've never done it before and I don't want to be accused of trying to milk this for anything, So I thought it best to put it in Wargaming or another individual with experience making something like this happen, I will happily pay for at least one night for a hotel for him and his Wife.

Very good of you. 

Sign in to follow this