You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
QueenGaladriel

Armory Ship Purchases: Need Advice

33 comments in this topic

[BURN1]
Members
8 posts
14,547 battles

I am to the point that I am progressively unlocking my tech tree T8s, and also have a Pommern and Alaska at T9, and a Thunderer at T10. (And I am on track to unlock the Hizen). The only thing I am spending real money on is just enough doubloons to purchase shipbuilding phases. Currently, between Coal and Steel, I have just enough to purchase a Georgia, which I may not ever have the opportunity to get again. That said, it would also set me back in terms of filling out the T10s with a CA, CV, and BB.

Short dish, should I pass on the Georgia and save my Steel for an FDR, Plymouth, Somers, or Stalingrad?

[WOLFG]
Members
11,816 posts
10,979 battles

If you want a steel ship, don't convert steel to coal.

Beyond that, are you looking to have a high tier ship in each nation, or want to focus on certain nations or ship types?

Georgia is good though.

[--K--]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,803 posts
5,983 battles

I mean I would wait on Georgia if I had a Thunderer already. New BB's are also coming out soon and I always try to have a little something something left over for things like that.

My 2 cents.

[REKTD]
Members
533 posts
10,828 battles

I did get Georgia, haven’t quite figured it out yet. Seems like a good ship, but maybe like a jumbo Alaska? Not sure about it yet.

As for Steel: I got Bourgogne. I almost wished I held out for Shikishima or got Somers. Bourgogne is fun in Ranked, but at the end of the day it is Alsace with reload boost. I could have had 510mm guns (Shikishima) or an American Shimakaze (Somers). 

I hope this odd take helps you in your decision process.

[WOLF9]
Members
116 posts
14,296 battles

Given you’re considering using steel for a coal ship, definately wait until the last day to make a purchase.  You can still earn quite a bit of coal before Georgia goes out.

I have Georgia and I really don’t play it much.  I have much more fun in my Massachusetts B.  I am a cruiser main though, so I realize I don’t get as much out of the Georgia as other players do.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,806 posts
4,771 battles

Advice?  Ooo.  Gots lots of that.  Let me read the OP.

Hmm. Not really enough information.  "Waiting on Georgia" isn't an option past the 16th.  How much Steel would you have to convert?  Do you play Steel-earning modes enough to be able to build it up again?  Your favorite nation seems to be USN.  Do you have a realistic shot at Somers (six weeks and counting)?  Do you play DD? 

For a T10 CA, >> Salem <<.  I can't recommend the Witch strongly enough.

[KWF]
Members
5,819 posts
7,019 battles

Your T9 lineup seems filled up with Alaska, Pommern and Hizen soon. 

Would rather hold onto the resources for now;  even though Georgia is a fine ship.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,849 posts
4,285 battles

Hmm, usually I would advise not to spend Steel for Coal. However with GA being removed this would be exception.

First, wait and try and get as much coal as possible before GA is removed. If at that point you don't have enough, then I (personally) would use steel to finish it. Yes Steel is harder to get, but GA is going to be impossible to get soon (well, unless you spend thousands on the WG Annual Christmas Lootbox Lottery). And with the exception of Somers (also being removed soonish) all those Steel ships are probably going to be around for a while.

It depends how much you want GA. If you like the idea of a fast secondary specc'd brawler then yes. Though keep in mind I'm biased, GA is my favorite ship. If you're mostly a DD player or something, then maybe not worth it. If you want GA just because, then no. If you want it because it looks like a lot of fun to play, then my advice is go for it,

In summary, definitely wait until the last day to decide. Then if think you'll like it, get it. If you're not so into GA playstyle, I'd give it a pass and wait for another Steel or Coal ship.

[WPORT]
Members
8,185 posts
13,206 battles

45 minutes ago, QueenGaladriel said:

I am to the point that I am progressively unlocking my tech tree T8s, and also have a Pommern and Alaska at T9, and a Thunderer at T10. (And I am on track to unlock the Hizen). The only thing I am spending real money on is just enough doubloons to purchase shipbuilding phases. Currently, between Coal and Steel, I have just enough to purchase a Georgia, which I may not ever have the opportunity to get again. That said, it would also set me back in terms of filling out the T10s with a CA, CV, and BB.

Short dish, should I pass on the Georgia and save my Steel for an FDR, Plymouth, Somers, or Stalingrad?

I have the Georgia.
I enjoy sailing her.  No regrets.
I really liked that she felt comfortable, even with a 3-skill-point Commander (prior to the skills rebork).  Preventive Maintenance & Last Stand and click the battle button.
Nowadays, she's still a gud 'bote.
Nice contrast with Thunderer (yep, have her, too).  Both good.  Just different play-styles.

Get the 40 knot Battleship, Georgia before she's gone.

My steel is being saved for Shikishima.  My coal is currently being saved with an eye towards Yoshino.

I'm curious about the Franklin D. Roosevelt, but not in position to welcome her to my Port in the near future.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,827 battles

I'd probably grab Georgia if I were you (seeing as it's leaving later this month), but if you want to save up and buy Salem, Marceau, etc that's fine too. (moskva and yoshino might be a bit difficult seeing as yoshino has poor armor and moskva suffers whenever MvR is around)

[WOLFC]
Members
2,591 posts
11,113 battles

Just thought I should note that while many run Georgia as a secondary-specced brawler, she is also quite effective as a fast flanking battleship, with speed boost and 6 457mm guns with supercruiser dispersion (you can also mount the USN slot 6 dispersion module).

In fact, with the changes to secondary skills and Deadeye being a thing, I expect this build to perform better than pre-10.0.

Anyways, I would recommend Georgia if you can get the coal before the end of the patch or don’t have to spend too much steel.

Edited by Nevermore135

[SALVO]
Members
7,077 posts
5,542 battles

IMO Georgia is quite unique, very different to other ships in its tier. That alone makes her worth the purchase, also considering she will become unavailable. The other ships can wait, that's my advice.

[SGSS]
Members
5,788 posts
50 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Advice?  Ooo.  Gots lots of that.  Let me read the OP.

Hmm. Not really enough information.  "Waiting on Georgia" isn't an option past the 16th.  How much Steel would you have to convert?  Do you play Steel-earning modes enough to be able to build it up again?  Your favorite nation seems to be USN.  Do you have a realistic shot at Somers (six weeks and counting)?  Do you play DD? 

The Salem does actually have a Witch on the funnel.

Sadly there has never been a ghost sighting on the ship from any of the tour guides I talked to.

[-ARM-]
Members
60 posts
6,311 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

What features of her do you find that lead to a rather strong recommendation?

[ARGSY]
Members
23,433 posts
17,387 battles
2 hours ago, QueenGaladriel said:

Currently, between Coal and Steel, I have just enough to purchase a Georgia

How much of the purchase price do you need to cover with steel?

I have to admit, with the ship disappearing in just a couple of weeks, this is one of those situations in which the golden rule "Don't convert steel to coal" starts to look a little bit tarnished. So yeah, spam "More resources" containers until the very end as you are intending to do, then balance your desire for a steel ship in the future against how quickly you reaccumulate it in your usual gameplay. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,806 posts
4,771 battles
29 minutes ago, lightspeed2131 said:

What features of her do you find that lead to a rather strong recommendation?

Des Moines -> consensus best CA in the game, not least because of her astounding firepower.  Add a British super-heal and subtract a little radar range and AA -> Salem.

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,378 posts
17,047 battles

Get the Georgia; dont be like me, back then when 1st yr of WoWs ... WG was selling Gremyashy .... and i am thinking to myself i can get her any time, she then moved by WG into crate ... and i am thinking i can still get here even in crate ... RNGodness, you know, try your luck.

Time past, 5 yrs now looking back, i did not have her. Every yr spent heaps on xmas crates .. NOPE, nah nah.

I should have purchased her back then. Biggest regret ever.

So for my own opinion, if there is a ship available now, and WG said they taking her away and can be available only from crate, GRAB her NOW while you still have a solid chance.

[-N-]
Beta Testers
191 posts
5,193 battles

dont buy anything now since the rework will make some ships OP and others weak.

I was about to buy shikishima but decided to wait for the commander rework and boy am i glad i waited... shikishimas secondary's went to crapwith this rework.

WG will introduce more OP ships this year.

Why?

because noone is spending money on their game, so they have to make OP ships to incentivize people to spend money.

i say by September or maybe even sooner, summer, they will introduce a couple of OP ships that you wish you had saved up resources for.

also, half of Georgia's fun was her secondary's. which got nerfed with captain rework.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,893 posts
25,782 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_JollyRoger said:

I mean I would wait on Georgia if I had a Thunderer already. New BB's are also coming out soon and I always try to have a little something something left over for things like that.

My 2 cents.

Italian Battleship Line is around the corner and there's already a Tier IX Premium BB for them, a 406mm 3x3 armed SAP Battleship named Marco Polo.  I haven't seen anything mention what resource or real money cost that Premium is going to be.

[FML]
Members
4,159 posts
16,067 battles
3 hours ago, QueenGaladriel said:

No, do not pass on the Georgia - get it before it’s gone, even if you have to expend some steel to get there. This is a rare exception to the ‘never convert steel into coal’ rule. Get it done. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,806 posts
4,771 battles
4 hours ago, QueenGaladriel said:

There is another option.  Georgia can be had for cash in the Premium Shop or for Doubloons, maybe with coupon, in the Armory.  Save your resources for when you have no such option, a la Thunderer.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,561 posts

Yes there is a coupon for buying a ship for 25% off in doubleloons. That will go to the Georgia. It should work out to anything around 50 dollars retail minus the original sale price of 77 dollars.

That somers is gone. After later this month it is removed. However it is said that it may come back at some point. So its not particularly wanted.

That leaves the big japanese BB and a couple of other ships. The rest of it do not have anything that makes them special. I am more focused on the Ohio at the moment via the RB points etc.

The update 10.0 did alot of damage to the game itself. I am less inclined to be as active. I did a few games today, but thats about all until tomorrow and so on.

[WOLF9]
Members
458 posts
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

There is another option.  Georgia can be had for cash in the Premium Shop or for Doubloons, maybe with coupon, in the Armory.  Save your resources for when you have no such option, a la Thunderer.

Cash for the Georgia. Save your coal & steel!  Georgia does have an rather unique play style. Least of all running down DD’s. 

• Cool 1

[-ARM-]
Members
60 posts
6,311 battles
19 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Des Moines -> consensus best CA in the game, not least because of her astounding firepower.  Add a British super-heal and subtract a little radar range and AA -> Salem.

Some really good points.  For sake of interesting discussion, if this comparison is taken to what casually might be the ultimate end point, what's your thoughts about Salem v DM equipped with the "Unique Upgrade" or for that matter a Hindenburg (similar in many ways) also "Unique Upgrade" equipped.

I'd not, rather sorry to say, paid as much attention to Salem as I should have.  You've certainly brought this to serious future planning but I am curious how you see it v noted competition.