You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
IfYouSeeKhaos

Don't mind the CV rework...but "Priority Sectoring" is the stupidest mechanic in a video game EVER!!!.

93 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
7,905 posts
23,881 battles

Why does my unselected sector gunners need to become incapable of doing their jobs?

What's the point of spending commander skills to buff 1 side of the ship more only to nerf the other side even more?

At least tell me why the nerf isn't included in the descriptions of the skills (in red...like all other nerfs) so you know exactly how much "stupider" your unselected gunners actually become?

Edit: The main problem is other than some bombs (which ideally the CV wants to drop from a bow/stern attack pattern...ideally making you want to turn your ship broadside to their approach...which makes the priority selection ideal) most plane ordinance is ideally dropped from a broadside approach...making you want to turn your ship bow/stern to the approaching aircraft.

When you select a priority sector bow/stern to the approaching planes it's very easy for the fast moving planes to dodge to the other side for their attack making your AA on that side of the ship not only gets ZERO% of any buffs but also gets nerfed from it's base numbers...

That's 65% of your continuous damage for DDs/BBs/& CVs & only 50% of your continuous damage for cruisers...flak apparently isn't affected by this supposedly but I'm not 100% sure if the angles out from your ship that flak bursts gets affected by it or not.

Unfortunately the "solution" to this is to keep your ship broadside to the planes to lessen their ability to dodge your priority selection making it easier for them to get a better attack run in...all while losing speed while maneuvering to do so making it even easier for them to set up their next attack.

@_WaveRider_. @Athena_ ...sorry Athena_...meant @Lady_Athena @Taylor3006 ...tagged you for the clarifying edit you missed.

• Cool 7

[USCC2]
Members
6,475 posts

I always thought you only had so many people on board ship and the priority sector merely enabled you to marshal the people you have to the most pressing area of attack. So in effect the people haven't got 'stupider' (love the word lol), it's just they are not there anymore, they have moved to the other side of the ship.

The skill has allowed you to concentrate your forces on one side - not make one side amazing for so many seconds. I may be wrong, but I thought this was what the skill did. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,106 posts
3,002 battles
On 2/2/2021 at 2:31 AM, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Why does my unselected sector gunners need to become incapable of doing their jobs?

What's the point of spending commander skills to buff 1 side of the ship more only to nerf the other side even more?

At least tell me why the nerf isn't included in the descriptions of the skills (in red...like all other nerfs) so you know exactly how much "stupider" your unselected gunners actually become?

This is WGing.. INtelligence, and thought process are not in their arsenal of capable situations.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,666 posts
25,153 battles

I have to admit, the fiddling with AA is just a stupid mechanic. They redid carriers so they wouldn't have to multitask yet they tossed in this silly thing. I liked the old way far better. You just clicked on the incoming aircraft and the computer did the rest. Now you have to not only shoot guns while maneuvering your ship to avoid incoming fire, avoid running into other ship/rocks, and map borders, but you get to add screwing around with AA too. It is stupid and should be optional. They need to add in the old way and let the computer screw around with it. Priority Sectors are one of the stupidest changes to the game in my memory. 

• Cool 10
  • Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
7,905 posts
23,881 battles
33 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I always thought you only had so many people on board ship and the priority sector merely enabled you to marshal the people you have to the most pressing area of attack. So in effect the people haven't got 'stupider' (love the word lol), it's just they are not there anymore, they have moved to the other side of the ship.

The skill has allowed you to concentrate your forces on one side - not make one side amazing for so many seconds. I may be wrong, but I thought this was what the skill did. :Smile_honoring:

Nope... there's enough crew on board to man all AA guns w/a full crew...there wasn't a limited number that needed to be swapped around as needed...at least assuming all ships start a battle not already war torn.

There was a set amount of people to man the AA guns...shooters/loaders/etc...& there wasn't any extra room for others to help out.

The guns could only fit the right amount of shells & needed to be fired & reloaded w/ the same amount of shells each time. Any extra hands would just be in the way. They had exactly how many crew were needed for each gun at each gun & each gun had a full crew assigned.

Sure...losses occured in battle but as I said...at the start of a battle I would think it is assumed that all crew are present.

They could easily adjust the parameters where buffing a side just buffs it w/out diminishing the base of the other side.

There's no logical explanation (not even in the realm of game mechanics) for the way it is set up...especially where the more 1 side gets buffed (due to "skills" being applied) the more the other side gets nerfed (not very "skillful).

It's along the analogy of, "the captain thinks those guys are better so we're demoralized".

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
6,475 posts
41 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Nope... there's enough crew on board to man all AA guns w/a full crew...there wasn't a limited number that needed to be swapped around as needed...at least assuming all ships start a battle not already war torn.

There was a set amount of people to man the AA guns...shooters/loaders/etc...& there wasn't any extra room for others to help out.

The guns could only fit the right amount of shells & needed to be fired & reloaded w/ the same amount of shells each time. Any extra hands would just be in the way. They had exactly how many crew were needed for each gun at each gun & each gun had a full crew assigned.

Sure...losses occured in battle but as I said...at the start of a battle I would think it is assumed that all crew are present.

They could easily adjust the parameters where buffing a side just buffs it w/out diminishing the base of the other side.

There's no logical explanation (not even in the realm of game mechanics) for the way it is set up...especially where the more 1 side gets buffed (due to "skills" being applied) the more the other side gets nerfed (not very "skillful).

It's along the analogy of, "the captain thinks those guys are better so we're demoralized".

So more 'Increased Vigour' would describe the skill better than Priority Sector? :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,905 posts
23,881 battles
38 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

So more 'Increased Vigour' would describe the skill better than Priority Sector? :Smile_Default:

Yep...for the selected side anyway...unfortunately it comes at the expense of "Decreased Vigor" for the unselected side.

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,475 posts
9 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Yep...for the selected side anyway...unfortunately it comes at the expense of "Decreased Vigor" for the unselected side.

Understandable - being second best is demoralising!

Now stop being mean and show love to both sides of the ship equally! :Smile_trollface:

[PISD]
Members
1,846 posts
6,128 battles
2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Main battery wouldn’t fire when AA crew was at their position neither, outside of sone light cruisers or nation enjoying to kill their own crew like Japan.

Edited by Karstodes

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,545 posts
22,341 battles
3 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I have to admit, the fiddling with AA is just a stupid mechanic. They redid carriers so they wouldn't have to multitask yet they tossed in this silly thing. I liked the old way far better. You just clicked on the incoming aircraft and the computer did the rest. Now you have to not only shoot guns while maneuvering your ship to avoid incoming fire, avoid running into other ship/rocks, and map borders, but you get to add screwing around with AA too. It is stupid and should be optional. They need to add in the old way and let the computer screw around with it. Priority Sectors are one of the stupidest changes to the game in my memory. 

and the sector selection is awful. You have to "look" in the direction of the attack. if it's only port or starboard, why don't you have 2 keys, one for port the other for starboard???

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
13,436 posts
28,193 battles
3 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

IRL every gun on a ship had it's own crew

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
13,436 posts
28,193 battles
3 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Changing the old AA system (and I am referring to everything about it from the click to select the planes to how the upgrade modules and Capt skills let you improve your AA) is like what they did with the change recently to the Capt system. They took something that actually worked, and worked well, that NO ONE complained about and "fixed it".

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Thanks 3

[WOLFC]
Members
2,585 posts
11,084 battles

The priority sector system was a response from WG to criticism from both sides that there was no “skill-based” component to AA-plane interactions. The implementation of these mechanics added some element of player interaction, whereas before it was a 100% automated, RNG-driven system. How effective the system has been in achieving that goal is up for debate, however.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,334 posts
10,021 battles
4 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

To be fair, some portion of the total amount of AA mounts can be fired to either side of the ship, and the guns don't traverse lightning fast.

My take on the logic behind it is that when PT is engaged, such guns will be pre-sited to the selected side. They can't traverse quickly enough to follow the planes as they cross the ship.

The only issue with that I can see, is that the bonus/penalty is standardised, being too large for some ships, and too small for others.

Take these examples. Atlanta has 2 5" turrets that fire to one side only, and 6 that can go either way. If we assume that normal values represent half the guns facing each way, Atlanta should get a 75% bonus/penalty, because one side goes from 4 turrets to 7, and the other goes from 4 turrets to 1. Gneisenau, OTOH, should get a smaller bonus/penalty, as out of 11 128mm turrets, only 1 can face either side. (only mentioning DP guns for simplicity, but the same holds true for medium AA too)

Edited by Skpstr
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,334 posts
10,021 battles
1 hour ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

and the sector selection is awful. You have to "look" in the direction of the attack. if it's only port or starboard, why don't you have 2 keys, one for port the other for starboard???

I wouldn't mind it so much, if you could do it in free look.

• Thanks 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,545 posts
22,341 battles
29 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

agreed, but you can't

• Boring 1

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,729 posts
26,203 battles
5 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

1 hour ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

I'm sorry but what? 

The old system you had to hold control and move your mouse to the aircraft to left click them. If they were approaching from somewhere outside of your view, you had to hold the right mouse button, control, and left click.

Now you have to look in the general direction and press a button (I use spacebar). There are less steps involved. You dont even fully need to see the aircraft, just be a mm from the centerline of your ship, using free look, and push a button.

There was a lot more fiddling before and there was a reason. When you could have up to 9 sqaudrons above your head, targeting one in particular was useful. Now it's one sqaudron, with the except of two CV games of course.

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,729 posts
26,203 battles
2 minutes ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

agreed, but you can't

You can...

32 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

You can....

Members
629 posts
12,602 battles

It’s a mechanic in a video game, it does what it purports to do and is fairly easy to interact with while allowing the player to focus on other mechanics closer to the core of surface ship play.

How good does it have to be?

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,545 posts
22,341 battles
1 minute ago, Skuggsja said:

You can...

You can....

How so? May be I'm not aware how?

Members
2,421 posts
52 battles

Sector would be a lot more useful if you could permanently assign it rather than having it ramp up then go on cd which makes it ineffective against fast planes.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,783 posts

It's not really a new or novel concept and TONS of video games use the idea in different forms.  In space games for example, ships usually have shields and it's a common mechanic to make the player manage shield faces.  Getting shot in the front, press some key to reinforce the front shield, at the expense of the other 3 faces running at less than 100% power.  Running away?  Reinforce the rear face but all the others get weaker.

The game dev of course could say, you know what?  The ship now magically has enough power to run all faces at 200% at all times, but....then it wouldn't be a game mechanic.

Having to give up performance elsewhere to gain something specific, is a really old game concept that is in use in.....many games.