Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_PS6817KZGfrj

10 thoughts after 800 battles

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
17 posts

10 things I wish I knew earlier, or at the very beginning of my WoWs gaming career (thoughts after 800+ battles).

1) Join a casual clan early. It really helps to earn more XP and save a lot of credits. Which becomes essential later.

2) After a first few battles, when you get access to Armory, start opening daily containers choosing More Resources option. Don't get camo or credits, at least until you're on T8.

3) Once you have the first sense of the game - get T5 ship ASAP and play it daily. If you don't like T3-T4 - use Free XP to skip these ships. You don't learn a whole lot about the game by playing lower tiers. But At T5 you can play daily missions, which reward you with extra Free XP and Commander XP - and that quickly pays back FXP spent to skip a couple of boring lower-tier ships. One T5 ship would be enough for starters, you can grind other lines to T5 "naturally", by playing the game.

4) Another reason to step into T5 gameplay earlier is to start developing good habits. Playing at lower tiers dominated by bots is a totally different experience, and if you stay there long enough you acquire habits that would be severly punished at T5 and higher tiers a lot. So get a sense of real game early. Besides, if you can handle yourself at T5 - then grinding remaining lower tier lines will be much easier and you score more credits and XP.

5) As early as possible, e.g. at T2 - start fulfilling Campaign missions (Five Epochs of the Navy, Science of Victory). This rewards you with lots of goodies, which are quite easy to get initially. Save the flags (unless they're required for a mission). You'll need them more on higher levels, than on lower.

6) Play every ship class (DD, CA/CL, CV, BB) and every nation of these 5: JP, US, UK, GE and RU. Other nations are optional, and although they're fun to play (e.g. I really like IT cruisers), they're not essential to the game.

First of the "Big 4" navies - have full lines of each class of ships. RU is similar to FR and has no CVs, but it has more cruisers and destroyers. And because WG is a Russian company, there's a huge bias to RU ships, and in the game they're quite powerful (although not without flaws). They're played a lot for their power, so knowing them helps both for playing them and playing against them. Other lines may be fun, but they're neither essential for campaigns, nor for clan battles. Good for general game diversity, and there's nothing wrong playing them, but you can do it any time later. At the beginning - focus on Big 4 + RU.

7) T6 enables you to play in Operations: game mode with humans against swarms of bots. Lots of fun, don't underestimate this game mode as it's great to earn credits. Best ships - BBs and CAs, as you really need stamina in that game mode.

8) While on T5-T7, check your Profile and find gaming statistics. Check your win rate for each ship. KEEP the ships you really like and that you're good at with their captains. They can earn you more credits, that you'll need later. E.g. if I have above average win rate on T6 ship "A" and T7 ship "B", I would keep them, fully upgraded, and keep their captains with all relevant skills. And just buy next tech tree ship when the time comes to level up.

9) Game economy allows you to earn enough credits to sustain ships up to T8 without premium account. At T8 with Standard account most of the earnings go towards paying for post-battle maintenance and you make almost no profit, can even lose a little credits sometimes. So unlike all previous tiers T8 can only pay for itself, but not for T9-T10. Which kinda suggests you paying real money to buy Premium account. If you have $$$ - skip to 9). Otherwise, if you'd rather play for free and let "whales" pay for the game, read on. At T8 ships can meet up to T10 in battles, and the gameplay becomes very stale: ships tend to camp behind islands and spam HE, when CV or DD is spotting. Life of a DD in a game with CV becomes hell. BBs can snipe everyone almost across the map. All mistakes are quickly punished. So it's a cutthroat world dominated by more experienced players. You maybe up to the task, or not. But DON'T expect that FUN to play levels up with each tier. There are plenty of good players and good ships at T6-T7-T8s, and you can have a good time there without spending any amount of real money.

10) Premium ships are not always better than tech tree ships. Some premiums are fantastic, but many simply offer unique gameplay, that is not available on tech tree ships. Check reviews on Youtube and on forum before buying. And save coal for buying some premiums for free. Here you can get many T9-T10s for coal and some for FXP (although that takes more time). These free premiums can totally sustain themselves in the game and earn more credits than comparable tech tree ships of the same tier. So up to and including T8 - go for tech tree, and T9-10 - consider premiums. Also nothing wrong buying some T6-T7 premiums if you like them, as they're great credit earners and fun to play.

 

This is of cause is not a complete list of XP, and it's not intended to be. Only a point to the right direction I wish I had earlier, when I was just starting my WOWS "career".

GLHF!

 

Update: Great source of info: https://wows-numbers.com/

Edited by anonym_PS6817KZGfrj
adding link
  • Cool 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,068
[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
2 minutes ago, The_Longest_Torpedo said:

Another reason to step into T5 gameplay earlier is to start developing good habits. Playing at lower tiers dominated by bots

Bots appear ar tier 5... Just depends at what time of day the population is too low, will get filled by bots.


Other then that... Its an eye opener for us with 19k+ games in, your POV... Its completely different from when I first started...

Then again I may have a different goal then you... In the end, I hope you still enjoy the game even with its flaws at high tiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,370
[PVE]
Members
10,914 posts
18,892 battles
38 minutes ago, The_Longest_Torpedo said:

T9-T10s for coal and some for FXP (although that takes more time).

Free XP is much quicker than coal to accumulate. You can also use it to get Research Bureau ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,642
[RLGN]
Members
15,645 posts
27,371 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Then again I may have a different goal then you... In the end, I hope you still enjoy the game even with its flaws at high tiers.

That I didn’t really enjoy high tiers is why I have so much credits and fxp now. I played so many mid tier games, a loss or poor game in tiers 8-10 is effectively meaningless.

Now that the mission-based UU acquisition is gone, I doubt I’ll spend much time playing high tiers any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
193
[Y0L0W]
Members
374 posts
9,101 battles
1 hour ago, The_Longest_Torpedo said:

First of the "Big 4" navies - have full lines of each class of ships. RU is similar to FR and has no CVs, but it has more cruisers and destroyers. And because WG is a Russian company, there's a huge bias to RU ships, and in the game they're quite powerful (although not without flaws). They're played a lot for their power, so knowing them helps both for playing them and playing against them. Other lines may be fun, but they're neither essential for campaigns, nor for clan battles. Good for general game diversity, and there's nothing wrong playing them, but you can do it any time later. At the beginning - focus on Big 4 + RU.

I agree with everything except for this. There is not nearly as much Russian Bias as people will lead you to believe. 

BB's - Decent throughout the line, with Sinop being the only one that is arguably too strong for its tier. Kremlin used to be waaayyyy overtuned, but now it's in a pretty good place. 
CL's - Good firepower and ballistics, but insanely squishy. Nevsky is the only one that I would say is a bit overtuned. 
CA's - Tallinn/Riga both have good AP, but are nothing special. Petro is not as OP as people say, but it is a bit too tanky for a cruiser with such a low citadel
DD's - None of the RU DD's are overpowered by any means, in fact, many people will say that is underpowered. Though i personally believe that Grozo is one of the best gunboat DD's in the game, just due to its sheer versatility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
753
[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,513 posts

I rarely play low tiers anymore. Its either the Wyoming or the Peter the Great BB. And one Japanese 29 knot T4 BB. The rest is t5 on up. I fly ram flags so that if there is going to be contact its not going to result in my death and can still be useful in battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,415
[O_O]
Members
6,969 posts
16,974 battles
43 minutes ago, The_Longest_Torpedo said:

10 things I wish I knew earlier, or at the very beginning of my WoWs gaming career (thoughts after 800+ battles).

Well, I know you are a newbie and all, but I still just have to say this about your summary...

...

...freakin' spot on!  You have grasped a lot of the basics very quickly, and your summary was excellently written.  Kudos, and a +1 from me.

One thing to add...premium time greatly eases the XP and credit grinds.  Even better if you can buy it during the Christmas sale for 1/2 off for a year.  Not only does it buff your XP (not base XP) and silver earnings, but it also gives you the ability to activate 3 campaign tasks at a time rather than 2.  That can also be a pretty big deal for speeding up your campaign completions.

A couple of other points I learned along the way that I will add:

  • When advancing from one tech tree ship to the next, move your experienced captain up and retrain him for that new ship (*more on that on a subsequent point!).  If you want to keep that lower tier tech tree ship, put a new(er) commander in it.
  • Spending Free XP on hull upgrades for stock ships makes sense.  I probably would NOT spend Free XP to upgrade torpedoes, range, etc.  Free XP is actually pretty valuable...be careful where you spend it.
  • I remember when I was free to play (non-premium account), coming up through tiers 5-6, and thinking I was flush with silver at almost $100M.  I was not.  Tier 8+ ships are VERY expensive and will deplete your silver hoard quickly, leaving you with ships you have researched but cannot afford to buy.
  • Use premium ships to re-train commanders, and to buff your silver supplies.  If you have a commander undergoing re-training, and you don't have or don't want to spend the Elite Commander XP to finish the retraining, move him to a premium ship of the same nation.  All XP earned will count towards retraining for the new tech tree ship, and you can return him to his home tech tree ship without penalty.  You do have to begin re-training on the new tech tree ship before moving to premium ships in order for that XP to count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,862
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,825 posts
4,285 battles

Overall good advice. The one thing I disagree with is looking at your stats. Don't worry about stats, especially when you're new. You'll know when you messed up (mostly because you'll be dead). That's all you need to know. If you want to take a look now and then sure, but don't base your grind off it. That will just lead to frustration. Just work to improve the things you know need improvement and your WR will take care of itself. If you put any effort into learning the game and improving you're already ahead of most players and your WR will show it. Trying to improve your stats as a new player is going to be frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
17 posts
38 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Well, I know you are a newbie and all, but I still just have to say this about your summary...

...

...freakin' spot on!  You have grasped a lot of the basics very quickly, and your summary was excellently written.  Kudos, and a +1 from me.

One thing to add...premium time greatly eases the XP and credit grinds.  Even better if you can buy it during the Christmas sale for 1/2 off for a year.  Not only does it buff your XP (not base XP) and silver earnings, but it also gives you the ability to activate 3 campaign tasks at a time rather than 2.  That can also be a pretty big deal for speeding up your campaign completions.

A couple of other points I learned along the way that I will add:

  • When advancing from one tech tree ship to the next, move your experienced captain up and retrain him for that new ship (*more on that on a subsequent point!).  If you want to keep that lower tier tech tree ship, put a new(er) commander in it.
  • Spending Free XP on hull upgrades for stock ships makes sense.  I probably would NOT spend Free XP to upgrade torpedoes, range, etc.  Free XP is actually pretty valuable...be careful where you spend it.
  • I remember when I was free to play (non-premium account), coming up through tiers 5-6, and thinking I was flush with silver at almost $100M.  I was not.  Tier 8+ ships are VERY expensive and will deplete your silver hoard quickly, leaving you with ships you have researched but cannot afford to buy.
  • Use premium ships to re-train commanders, and to buff your silver supplies.  If you have a commander undergoing re-training, and you don't have or don't want to spend the Elite Commander XP to finish the retraining, move him to a premium ship of the same nation.  All XP earned will count towards retraining for the new tech tree ship, and you can return him to his home tech tree ship without penalty.  You do have to begin re-training on the new tech tree ship before moving to premium ships in order for that XP to count.

Thank you, mate!

Totally agree with your point regarding Free XP. Upgrading hulls and spending it on retraining captains when you move them ship to ship is a good idea. Captain XP is also useful, but if you're short of Capt XP that can be supplemented by FXP.

I also figured that WG is quite nice to sprinkle Premium time occasionally in random containers, some campaigns, Dockyard, and with new versions/game events. So even without investing any real money players can use premium time, and maximize its utility by play with credit/xp-boosting flags during premium time. That really boosts you up vs grinding on Standard account time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,032
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,760 posts
4,771 battles
17 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Bots appear ar tier 5... Just depends at what time of day the population is too low, will get filled by bots.

That happens at low tiers too, now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,331
[SALVO]
Members
6,954 posts
5,510 battles

Hey welcome!

Excellent observations, I bet you'll do great in the game. 

Keep having fun, cheers!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,062
[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,753 posts
6,003 battles

@The_Longest_Torpedo Good post.  I'd add that for new players who want to get better there are content creators who publish youtube videos that often contain good tips.  Even The Mighty Jingles, for all his errors, gives good advice to newbies in his WoWS videos.  Flamu has a bunch of good videos, though he can be overly salty.  Quality Potato has some good videos.  iChasegaming has some explicitly targeted training videos.  World of Warships official channel also has some informative "How it works" videos.  On Twitch I've found Mr_Gibbins to be a salt free source of good tips for new players.

@Navalpride33 So far as I've seen Tier V only sees bots when top tier.  If Tier V is mid tier or bottom tier there are no bots.

Edited by Helstrem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,068
[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

So far as I've seen Tier V only sees bots when top tier.  If Tier V is mid tier or bottom tier there are no bots.

The point was... Bots appear/exist in the tier...

The conditions as to why... Its a moot point :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,062
[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,753 posts
6,003 battles
6 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

The point was... Bots appear/exist in the tier...

The conditions as to why... Its a moot point :P

It is still a difference since Tier V is usually not top tier so bots can only appear is 20-40% of a Tier V's matches whereas, at this point, bots appear in close to 100% of Tier I, II, III and IV matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,068
[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
2 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

It is still a difference since Tier V is usually not top tier so bots can only appear is 20-40% of a Tier V's matches whereas, at this point, bots appear in close to 100% of Tier I, II, III and IV matches.

Its a moot point... We know bots exist... That was the original context, they exist in tier 5.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×