You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SuperComm4

The most “noob” ship or class?

31 comments in this topic

[REKTD]
Members
533 posts
10,834 battles

What is the most “noob” ship or class in your opinion? Elaborate on common mistakes seen.

[SALVO]
Members
7,100 posts
5,556 battles
1 minute ago, SuperComm4 said:

What is the most “noob” ship or class in your opinion? Elaborate on common mistakes seen.

IMO, the noob Omaha rushing to cap and getting nuked by T7 BBs

• Cool 4

[REKTD]
Members
533 posts
10,834 battles

For me: it is the DD class.

I feel like rookies new to the game flock to these boats, charge into battle and get sunk. They then rinse and repeat their way to several thousand matches before realizing things like:

• Using stealth is wiser than charging into caps guns blazing.
  • You don’t have to fire torpedoes when allies are in between you and the target. 
  • Sitting in smoke...is actually a torpedo magnet?
  • It is actually possible for a DD to survive more than 3 minutes into a battle!

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
11,843 posts
10,985 battles

I think at the lowest tiers, BBs.  Starting out, people think they are the most powerful thing in the universe.  Not realizing their guns are questionable, secondary guns are poor, and DDs can get away with stuff that will get them killed later on.

Mid tier, cruisers as mentioned above.  Battleships that missed at low tier start not missing.

High tier - All.

Members
7,122 posts
22,130 battles

Nurnberg, Leander, Omaha...... Farragut 

Almost any tier 6 ship. they come out of the gates in a lather and run into tier 8's while having no clue what awaits them and having bad behavior reinforced by tier4-5 play.

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,811 posts
8 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

IMO, the noob Omaha rushing to cap and getting nuked by T7 BBs

Omaha is a great ship.  Rushing is something it does not do well.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,030 posts
14,077 battles

BBs tend to have the perception of attracting lower skill/new players in my experience. The appeal of having big guns, thick armor and a lot of health, etc. Part of the draw is probably also that a lot of the most iconic ships from the eras covered by WoWS are battleships and aircraft carriers and CVs have a bit higher of a skill floor than BBs do IMO. Not as high as it was pre-rework, mind, but you get my point.

I'm of the opinion that the hardest ship type to play well in the game are cruisers because you don't have the firepower, health and armor of a BB or the stealth and agility of a DD.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,906 posts
25,782 battles
27 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

All of them.

Over the years I've seen players do stupid things with ships.

I've watched the last DD left in the game, our DD, that could have run away and win the game, instead, sought out the last few enemy ships.  Our DD had only 2k HP left and the moron initiated a gunfight with a CLEVELAND that was backed up by 2 more ships.

I've watched Cruisers play too aggressively, i.e. get into caps at the start of the game and get insta-gibbed by all the enemy ships.

I remember watching our Akatsuki charge through a cap where we knew an enemy DD, a BELFAST, and a Colorado were waiting for him.  He didn't last long and so went our DD screen.  We lost the flank immediately after that.

I lost count how many times stupid BB players think they should just win the game because they queued up with a Battleship.  They play like they're immune, only to be schooled by the enemy team, "Not today."

I had seen too many times IJN Cruiser players commit the sin of trying to desperately launch torpedoes while being spotted by the enemy team.

Played High Tier a lot.  Saw a bunch of new Tier X BB owners that never played IX-X BBs before.  They behave differently than Tier VIII and lower Battleships.  "I got Yamato!  I am teh inbincible!"  And get promptly smashed to bits.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,476 posts
13,117 battles
5 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

Most "Noob" unfriendly is DD's. Number 1 problem that noobs have is screaming ahead of all support into a cap, leaving themselves no escape route, and then being killed. Of course it's everyone else's fault. 2nd biggest act of stupidity that they can commit is popping smoke in front of their own team, and then parking in it, expecting others to spot for them. They have just cut the line of sight of their own teammates, who can now see nothing, and are expecting those same teammates to spot for them. At least the CV that the DD reported at the start of the match can spot for them, except we probably won't because we've got a good idea who reported us.

Next most "Noob" unfriendly is probably "Slow" battleships, The proper way of using them is to pick somewhere on the map that you know you're gonna be needed and get there. They're too slow to react to anything, so you need to be pro-active. The "Noobs" try and react with them, which means they spend most of the match doing nothing, and when they finally get some action, it's after their team has been slaughtered and they're outnumbered 8 to 1.

CV's are probably the middle ground, "Noobs" will mismanage their reserves and be reduced to spotters later in the match, maybe before their anchorage is overrun. Hopefully the CV will gain some useful intelligence before it's deplaned. The abuse the CV drivers endure from their own teammates is also a good filter, the "Noobs" are the ones dishing it out, probably without even understanding what's actually happening.

Cruisers are probably as player friendly as CV's "Noobs" will learn fast, or quit playing from being exploded showing broadside to battleships, or anything else that looks at them funny. Cruisers are also usually not fast enough to get themselves into trouble faster than they can think, you get to see the DD racing into the cap first with no support and the cruisers can decide to go the other way.

Most "Noob" friendly is fast battleships, they're fast enough to be reactionary, unlike slow battleships. They still slow enough that a "Noob" can see where the cruisers are going and follow along. They've also got thick enough belts that only other battleships are going to really punish them for showing broadside. As battleships, they also usually have the gun range to find something to shoot at.

• Thanks 1

[46856]
Members
1,932 posts

T3 St Louis charging in pew  pewing all over the place.

The there is the Derpsky which is either a hard fail or hard win with no room in between. The cries of horror in chat when an opponent faces 10 torps to the hull make up for its 5% win rate for noobs.

Edited by Chain_shot

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
222 posts
1,728 battles
1 hour ago, SuperComm4 said:

any non-KM and non-UK CVs...WOWS on easy mode. 

• Haha 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Which ever ship someone has an irrational "OMG OP" hate for, will be tagged as "noob friendly:.

In truth, none of them are significantly more "noob friendly".

[WOLFC]
Members
2,354 posts
2 hours ago, SuperComm4 said:

French DD's  - YOLO to the cap

[PUMA]
Members
166 posts
10,199 battles
2 hours ago, SuperComm4 said:

I think it is more like who plays the ship, I have seen users who joined 2009 or sometime, played < 100 random and got T10 or T9 gold ships and contributes to team lose in random.

[GWG]
Members
7,403 posts
14,192 battles

What I would recommend for a beginner is the Ishizuchi.

It's low tier, got real good HP, and will survive the longest into a battle of any struggling operator at the controls.
--- Provided they learn quickly to run FAR away from any encounters with a Derski.

Edited by AVR_Project

[ARGSY]
Members
688 posts
10,917 battles
9 hours ago, Pura__Vida said:

Nurnberg, Leander, Omaha...... Farragut 

Almost any tier 6 ship. they come out of the gates in a lather and run into tier 8's while having no clue what awaits them and having bad behavior reinforced by tier4-5 play.

Funny, since the IFHE rework my Nurnberg win rate has been steadily climbing the the 60% level. I don't think many folks appreciate how much stronger German six inch guns are over other CLs. However, you are totally correct. In the hand of a newish player Nurnberg is a death ride to hell..

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,700 posts
10,145 battles
7 hours ago, WarStore said:

Define noob class?

class that takes the least skill to be successful with

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,030 posts
14,077 battles
21 minutes ago, handybilly said:

Funny, since the IFHE rework my Nurnberg win rate has been steadily climbing the the 60% level. I don't think many folks appreciate how much stronger German six inch guns are over other CLs. However, you are totally correct. In the hand of a newish player Nurnberg is a death ride to hell..

German CLs don't need IFHE anyways thanks to the 1/4 pen they get with HE shells.

Members
859 posts
9 hours ago, SuperComm4 said:

Nothing more noob friendly than sitting in the back, attacking anyone you want, without having to worry about anything.

CV is noob overdrive.

• Boring 1

[46856]
Members
1,932 posts
23 minutes ago, vak_ said:

class that takes the least skill to be successful with

Mikasa

Members
1,022 posts
3,050 battles
14 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Omaha is a great ship.  Rushing is something it does not do well.

Had 4 in a game on the weekend, I said at the start 'bet $5 all the Omaha's are dead by the 5m mark' they didn't disappoint. 

It's a good ship but hardly anyone seems to know how to use it properly.

• Cool 1

[REKTD]
Members
533 posts
10,834 battles
15 hours ago, WarStore said:

Define noob class?

In this context, it is the ship or class of ships that a new player is “most attracted to” when starting out. 
So we see a lot of errors and bad game play. 

For me it is DDs.