You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Kansas - not a rant

28 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
456 posts

Finally got grinding the Kansas to earn enough xp to get the Minnesota.  Being mainly a Coop player it was quite a let down.  Too slow to get anywhere quick enough or enough DPM to make much of a difference or even get enough XP to get the 180k xp needed.  So, I finally bit the bullet & started playing it in Randoms...night & day.  Still too slow but even with a 40 second reload, it seems to work.  Staying at longer ranges, your number of guns helps dispersion and picking the right shell type you can get plenty of fires & citadels, & you are still tanky enough to last (at least at longer ranges) long enough to put up some decent numbers.  I thought I was going to dock this until the next snowflake event, but it might just be a keeper.  It's not exciting gameplay, but definitely not as bad as I first thought it was!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[BNRJ]
Members
148 posts
6,420 battles

I don’t mind my Kansas. It’s slow, but it’s tough to argue with all those guns. And it doesn’t need to close to secondary range unlike my Bismarck to start doing damage. I think the rebork may have actually helped Kansas. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,361 posts
10,479 battles
6 minutes ago, John370 said:

I don’t mind my Kansas. It’s slow, but it’s tough to argue with all those guns. And it doesn’t need to close to secondary range unlike my Bismarck to start doing damage. I think the rebork may have actually helped Kansas. 

Agreed and perhaps the other two higher tiered sister ships as well....

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,728 posts
21,814 battles
28 minutes ago, John370 said:

I think the rebork may have actually helped Kansas.

Anything that helps accuracy helps Kansas. To be fair, it helped all the battleships.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,138 posts
23,079 battles

I played this line excusively in Coop.

I found the Kansas to be on the lower side of meh.  I did play her before the slight upgrade in Sigma however.  Way too much scatter and too slow for me (I have trouble with BBs going slower than 27 knots).  However, with the number of guns and her range, she does ok when you can aim well.

Actually, I found the Minnesota to be slightly worse than the Kansas.  I know others disagree with me.  She has the same speed and same guns as the Kansas.  At a tier higher, she just seemed to perform worse.

When I got to the Vermont, I found her to be a really nice surprise.  Her guns are AWESOME.  I have had Coop matches over 200k in her and one over 260k.  She is just as slow, but she has more guns, higher caliber, and a much better sigma.  When her guns hit, the reds really feel it.

Edit:  I sold the Kansas, Minnesota is a port queen (I keep all T9s, and the Vermont sees regular action in my BB rotation.

Edited by kyesac

[ARGSY]
Members
23,385 posts
17,319 battles
2 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

I thought I was going to dock this until the next snowflake event, but it might just be a keeper.  It's not exciting gameplay, but definitely not as bad as I first thought it was!

Kansas has been the beneficiary of TWO sigma buffs, IIRC (the first to 1.6, the second to 1.7), so I'm not surprised you suddenly took a shine to her. I think this is the sort of BB that Deadeye was designed around. When one day I eventually get her captain to 14 points, he'll probably take that skill. 

Every now and then I have a 100K-plus damage battle in her in co-op, then once again comes the drought. She was not an easy ship to play in co-op, and she was helped a lot by being ground in pre-release throughout the Key Battles patch, where I could put 10,000 damage on her and grab an easy extra 500 ship XP every day. 

I eventually finished her grind in randoms with lots of flags. I recently took her out in co-op for ships and giggles and got a team that mostly fell apart and a chance to excel. 100K damage, and the gunnery feels so much better now. Can't remember if I had Deadeye on the captain.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,491 posts
22,872 battles

So just when we though the slowest BB line was going to be irrelevant,  enter Dead Eye and the new Mets....

Now their perfect.

• Haha 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,858 posts
25,782 battles
2 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Anything that helps accuracy helps Kansas. To be fair, it helped all the battleships.

North Carolina, Georgia, Montana, YAMATOOOO, Musashi, Jean Bart, Scharnhorst, GK, Republique, Conkeke, Thunderer, and the rest of the BB gang.

Even better are Tier IX-X USN BBs.

Step 1:  Implement Stealth Build.

Step 2:  Equip APRM2 upgrade in Slot 6 for 11% dispersion buff instead of the typical 7% of Slot 3 ASM that other ships get (USN BBs don't access ASM1).

Step 3:  Use Dead Eye trait.

With Dead Eye in effect, Tier IX-X USN BBs are looking at 21% dispersion buff.  Couple that with the generally good Sigma High Tier USN BBs have, they're in a decent spot.

Profit.

On a side note Yamato / ARP Yamato with ASM1 + Legendary + Dead Eye can do something similar.

ASM1 is a 7% dispersion buff.  Yamato / ARP Yamato Legendary provides 7%.  That's 14% together.  If Dead Eye is going on, that's 24% dispersion buff for a 2.1 Sigma Battleship.

11 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

So just when we though the slowest BB line was going to be irrelevant,  enter Dead Eye and the new Mets....

Now their perfect.

Are they?  Because all the other BBs, including the prior USN BBs can do the same thing.  These newer USN BBs are still going to be straddled with the harsh, slow speed and slow reload.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,758 posts
3 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

Finally got grinding the Kansas to earn enough xp to get the Minnesota.  Being mainly a Coop player it was quite a let down.  Too slow to get anywhere quick enough or enough DPM to make much of a difference or even get enough XP to get the 180k xp needed.  So, I finally bit the bullet & started playing it in Randoms...night & day.  Still too slow but even with a 40 second reload, it seems to work.  Staying at longer ranges, your number of guns helps dispersion and picking the right shell type you can get plenty of fires & citadels, & you are still tanky enough to last (at least at longer ranges) long enough to put up some decent numbers.  I thought I was going to dock this until the next snowflake event, but it might just be a keeper.  It's not exciting gameplay, but definitely not as bad as I first thought it was!

I like coop but how did you XP through any ship in coop?

[WOLFG]
Members
11,796 posts
10,943 battles
6 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I like coop but how did you XP through any ship in coop?

Much like Geology.  Time and pressure.

And a big :etc_swear: poster.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[WOLF3]
Members
508 posts
11,733 battles

Also noteworthy is that the ships of its type all have VERY tight turning radius. I often use this to loiter once when I am around islands, and can change stances very easily. Like Notser, I run a rudder and turret traverse setup on mine for very responsive tight changes. Its the one unique thing going besides 3 extra barrels and too many carbs.

Edited by Drifter_X

[GLF]
Members
1,150 posts
18,146 battles

I didnt mind kansas at all, and I absolutely loved Minn.  40 sec reload never bothered me, because I was always the type that waited the extra 10-20 seconds for a better shot anyway, rather than taking the first available.   All of the new line hit really hard in my hands and were kinda forgiving unlike NC and Iowa, which never clicked for me very well at all.   The new line I felt right at home in, but I also love Colorado so much that I have Halsey on it so maybe thats why?

I tried two games in Vermont, but otherwise haven't played the new line since the rework, because the captains aren't at 21.  

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,491 posts
22,872 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

North Carolina, Georgia, Montana, YAMATOOOO, Musashi, Jean Bart, Scharnhorst, GK, Republique, Conkeke, Thunderer, and the rest of the BB gang.

Even better are Tier IX-X USN BBs.

Step 1:  Implement Stealth Build.

Step 2:  Equip APRM2 upgrade in Slot 6 for 11% dispersion buff instead of the typical 7% of Slot 3 ASM that other ships get (USN BBs don't access ASM1).

Step 3:  Use Dead Eye trait.

With Dead Eye in effect, Tier IX-X USN BBs are looking at 21% dispersion buff.  Couple that with the generally good Sigma High Tier USN BBs have, they're in a decent spot.

Profit.

On a side note Yamato / ARP Yamato with ASM1 + Legendary + Dead Eye can do something similar.

ASM1 is a 7% dispersion buff.  Yamato / ARP Yamato Legendary provides 7%.  That's 14% together.  If Dead Eye is going on, that's 24% dispersion buff for a 2.1 Sigma Battleship.

Are they?  Because all the other BBs, including the prior USN BBs can do the same thing.  These newer USN BBs are still going to be straddled with the harsh, slow speed and slow reload.

With devastating accurate guns

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,858 posts
25,782 battles
30 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

With devastating accurate guns

Not really.

The shells on NC, Iowa are better than Kansas and MinneSLOWta's, and they also shoot faster.

Vermont is the only one out of these new USN BBs that I'd say has "devastating accurate guns."  Do not let Vermont's power represent what these new USN BBs do.  She has gimmicks to her that Kansas falls way short of, and not even IX Minnesota has.  Vermont has 12, 457mm guns with significant Overmatching power, and their penetration capability lines up with her similarly armed peers in Tier X.

It's exactly like a bunch of these recent Line Splits or even new Lines... Where the last ship in the tiers is the only one that fully encapsulates the strengths of what the ships are supposed to be, and everything else prior in the Line falls a lot short.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,796 posts
10,943 battles
8 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

I would say another thing about the Kansas (in coop) that isn't bad is that by the time you get involved is that a lot of stuff is spotted, and the reds have already decided who they want to focus on.  This allows the first shot (at least) to get all your guns on target.   Make the first shot count.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,860 posts
14,878 battles
5 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

...the new Mets....

The Mets have been the same old Mets ever since the Bill Buckner moment in 1986.

[P2W]
Beta Testers
72 posts
13,336 battles

Has anyone addressed why WG gave the Kansas 16"/45 mk 5 guns from the Colorado instead of the 16"/50 Mark 2 guns they were built with?  And why do they list them as having 16"/45 Mk 7 guns.  That is a contradiction as the 16" Mark 7 guns are 50 cal, so something is wrong no matter what fantasy paper universe WG is living in.  And of course, neither the 16" Mark 6 or 7 would be fitted on a South Dakota BB. I guess this same question/argument pertains to the Vermont.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,860 posts
14,878 battles
6 hours ago, OldGrognard said:

Has anyone addressed why WG gave the Kansas 16"/45 mk 5 guns from the Colorado instead of the 16"/50 Mark 2 guns they were built with? 

Because they were never, you know, uhhhh, “built?”

[WOLF3]
Members
508 posts
11,733 battles

I like the standard battleships. Sit back, relax, take some potshots and try to blend in to my cluster of team mates. While you don't go fast your turning circle is pretty legit. You can loiter in a position anywhere you want. Shoot guns, change stance, shoot guns, etc.....

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,758 posts
On 2/1/2021 at 12:32 PM, S7CentNickel said:

MN is great.  Vermont has almost 30km range and you can hit things at that range.

You dont even have to move.

How is your random matches go?

Members
5,653 posts
10,989 battles

Of that arm of the line up - Kansas is the best for me.  I had GREAT teams that even if I don't do great we win it seems.  I HATE the Vermont/Minn - could not get anything going on with them.  Kansas is slow but it does pack a punch when need be.

[HKC]
Members
756 posts
On 2/1/2021 at 9:32 AM, S7CentNickel said:

Its one of those ships that reds disregard for more 'dangerous' targets. Then you nuke them.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,590 posts
18,537 battles

Just went back to finish grinding through the Kansas, and it's not all that bad. Not only do the enemy ships ignore you, but my team mates don't seem to expect much either. I mostly play randoms and ranked, no I wouldn't take the special K into a ranked match, and am at best an average player. But even with my low skill level when I pull out a kill or do something even remotely noteworthy, I end up with compliments following the match. Granted, almost every match has me low tier so I'm always on fire or dodging shells, but still this ship isn't terrible. It's fat and slow, but it can hit hard, when it hits, and the AA seems to be quite good. 

79435-Putin-NOT-BAD-meme-fjm1 | csvytuvw51 | Flickr

[BOTES]
Members
2,263 posts
8,892 battles

Kansas is weak because the shells are slow and it has no pen. As evidence by Minnesota and Vermont, being able to hit and pen what you shoot at makes these ships serviceable as more than glorified HE spammers.

It also doesn't help that the ship is painfully inaccurate, even with Deadeye, and has the worst mobility and DPM of the trio while having nearly identical MM.

Edited by awildseaking