You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Drifter_X

Best all around CV and DD line?

21 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
508 posts
11,733 battles

Howdy, I was wondering what the best lines are for CV and DD? I dont really play them anymore and dont honestly care about them but should have at least ONE line for each that I play, if not for knowledge of the game. I already suspect the american lines but thought I would ask the experts here.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,817 posts
7,512 battles

CV.. Easily  USN --- to Midway for all around utility.     DDs.. that's a much more complicated question.. I'll leave that the DD mains to answer.  DDs in game have so many different ways they can be played   

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
5,793 posts
7,007 battles

For DDs the USN line is indeed solid, among the strongest overall. This doesn't mean other lines don't pick up at various different tiers.

IJN gunboat DDs from tier VIII upwards are very strong. The alternate RU DD line is amazing when you hit Udaloi and Grozovoi. Z-46 is a gem in an otherwise average line.

That said, I think I would go for RN DDs. Excellent stealth in most cases, best smoke in the game, defensive utility thanks to Hydro, good firestarting guns but also decent torpedoes. In addition Daring and Jutland, though Daring especially, allow a pretty unique playstyle by using the excellent AP their 113mm guns have. The only downside is the lack of Engine Boost but you can work around that by careful positioning. Also provided you did the RN DD arc a few years back you should have a freebie permanent camouflage for Lightning.

Edited by warheart1992

[WOLF3]
Members
508 posts
11,733 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

For DDs the USN line is indeed solid, among the strongest overall. This doesn't mean other lines don't pick up at various different tiers.

IJN gunboat DDs from tier VIII upwards are very strong. The alternate RU DD line is amazing when you hit Udaloi and Grozovoi. 

That said, I think I would go for RN DDs. Excellent stealth in most cases, best smoke in the game defensive utility thanks to Hydro, good firestarting guns but also decent torpedoes. In addition Daring and Jutland, though Daring especially, allow a pretty unique playstyle by using the excellent AP their 113mm guns have.

Are there any issues with gun penetration? Thought i heard ifhe is needed?

[KWF]
Members
5,793 posts
7,007 battles
1 minute ago, Drifter_X said:

Are there any issues with gun penetration? Thought i heard ifhe is needed?

Used to be, but under the new HE penetration rules Daring and Jutland can penetrate up to 19mm armor, which is the most common plating among DDs and sufficient for CLs and superstructures of any class. So you pretty much save another 4 points there with good fire chance too. But again, the real star of the tier IX-X is the AP. Think mini Minotaur with improved autobounce angles and fuses. Incredibly devastating against anything showing broadside, especially DDs.

[HAIFU]
Members
12 posts
10,399 battles

I made a post about overall DD line for new players so ill just copy paste here:

Personally I still stick to the idea that the US DDs are the best introduction to the DD world. Its the only line without some kind of "gimmick", and offers a "hybrid" gameplay at T8/T9, meaning that you can choose whether you want to go towards more torpedo focused lines or gun focused lines depending on how you feel about the american boats. Benson/Fletcher/Gearing are perfect for this. 

The "gimmicks" I mentioned are as followed if you're wondering about my reasoning:

IJN torpboat: Have to be really good at positioning/kiting to be able to survive against other DDs, and get torp hits due to low range, slow reload.

IJN gunboat: Torps have super long reload so rely on guns. 

RN: Have to know how to use fast-recharge smoke and hydro to get in gun damage, slow ships overall, have to learn how to juke with fast accel, unreliable torps.

KMS: Crappy smokes + hella hydro, really low HE DPM, but super fast reloading torps.

French: MBRB trigger discipline, no smoke, ambush torps, resembles CA gameplay more than DD gameplay since gunboating

VMF gunboat: Long range HE spam resembles more CA gameplay more than DD gameplay

VMF torpedoboat: Why but also ognevoi has really bad DPM on everything, udaloi just kinda doesn't belong in the tree

EU: No smoke, super slow, okay guns, low dpm on everything until you get to oster/halland

PA: DW Torps, fast recharging smokes, T8-T10 have nerfed gun dpm compared to their american counterparts

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,728 posts
21,814 battles

USN CVs, no question.

I'd also say USN DDs for all-arounding, but truth be told, DDs break pretty hard into specialty sub-classes. Even the USN line has a bit of an identity crisis in the middle (T5-T7 are smoke gunboats, while T8+ are torp ninjas). If the goal is to learn how certain archetypes function, I'd suggest playing two DD lines: one torp-focused and one open water gunboat.

• Cool 2

[PISD]
Members
1,844 posts
6,103 battles
49 minutes ago, Refudgerator said:

EU: No smoke, super slow, okay guns, low dpm on everything until you get to oster/halland

forget to talk about the supersonic torps with low damage and the AA of the later tier.

[HAIFU]
Members
12 posts
10,399 battles
6 minutes ago, Karstodes said:

forget to talk about the supersonic torps with low damage and the AA of the later tier.

Yea you're right. The fast torps are useful for catching DDs and you need to learn how to use them opportunistically to actually get damage with low alpha. I wouldn't say the good AA is a gimmick, more of just you dont get completely screwed by CV 

[ARGSY]
Members
23,385 posts
17,319 battles
1 hour ago, Refudgerator said:

Yea you're right. The fast torps are useful for catching DDs and you need to learn how to use them opportunistically to actually get damage with low alpha. I wouldn't say the good AA is a gimmick, more of just you dont get completely screwed by CV 

From the CV player's perspective, I'd rather stay away from a Halland unless I've got no choice but to attack it or it's weak and I can justify sacrificing planes to finish it off.

• Boring 1

Members
2,389 posts
52 battles

Agree with the above that US CVs are the best CV line currently. IJN isn't too far behind either but also generally require more skill to play.

[--O--]
Members
994 posts

It to me is not about the "line" but the play-style of the Captains/Player. Only you can make that call

As to DD's though

Breaking it down this way, T-9 T-10

Do you like Gun or Torp play?

If you like Gun build Its Daring at T-10 Tech tree.
T-9 Jutland with honorable mention to Chung.
Premium T-9 Friesland hands down winner.

If you like Torp Build its Halland at T-10 Tech tree.

Yugumo at T-9 build for ghost build she is deadly and with torp reload a serious threat.

Premium T-9 Neutrzombie by a long way and possibly one of the best all around GOOD DD's in the game. I say good as she excels at nothing but is good at everything with very few drawback and she does pack that super-heal when you do get in trouble.

All DD's have weakness and strengths and it really comes down to the player. The biggest thing is this: if you play DD and do not have one eye glued to the mini-map at all times you will not last long.

Now some might argue those choices, but game in game out those ships are nightmares in a good captains hands and annoying as hell in a decent ones hands, even bad players can be a mild nuisance in them.

As for Lines Gun Line USN is hard to beat for all around good gun balance start to finish. Torp line IJN is King of torps and stealth. But unless you want 20 port princess's hanging around find the ships you like most (not are best at) but actually enjoy playing most and keep only them, especially now with the capt rework and the grind for 21pt captains being as bad as the grind to T-10 ships.

[KIA-C]
Members
3,680 posts
16,230 battles

For CV, everything has been said already.

For DD, I think the UK DD line is the best all around. Concealment isnt too bad, the gun power is good enough to defend yourself/kill other DD, the torps aren't anything special but you can use them as a way to either attack someone or defend yourself. They have short smoke and a lot of them so you can afford to lose a smoke or 2 and you have heal.

[SOBA6]
Members
281 posts

Well if you play Ranked, Halland seems to be the most popular DD on the planet. Blazing fast long range torps, decent concealment and decent guns. I literally saw one if not more in just about every game lol. Oh and the most feared CV which isn't a line but the FDR. Soon as anyone saw the FDR they started complaining and grumbling. Even seen other CV players gripe about the FDR but I don't play one so I'm not an expert, this is just what I see in more competitive play.

[REKTD]
Members
533 posts
10,788 battles

You really have to decide what kind of DD play you prefer: gunboat style or stealth torpedo style. From there we can fine tune the best line. If you are not sure, work the IJN and US lines to tier 3 or 4. 

• IJN have some of the best stealth, which once learned will help you in every class of ship. They also have devastating torpedoes with great range.
  • US DDs are cap contesting gunboats that can usually shred other DDs in gun battles. They have good torps, but you will be detected well before you can use them until T7.

All the other lines are more nuanced and you will likely be better served starting with the above to see what you like. Honorable mention to the German line, which has tough DDs, and pretty much hybrid of the US/IJN lines.

Personally, the US and then IJN lines were the last ones I started, and having played German / Soviet / British / US before IJN, my DD WR/PR would have really appreciated learning the stealth mechanic first.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,028 posts
14,013 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Argus said:

Well if you play Ranked, Halland seems to be the most popular DD on the planet. Blazing fast long range torps, decent concealment and decent guns. I literally saw one if not more in just about every game lol. Oh and the most feared CV which isn't a line but the FDR. Soon as anyone saw the FDR they started complaining and grumbling. Even seen other CV players gripe about the FDR but I don't play one so I'm not an expert, this is just what I see in more competitive play.

I'm a CV player and I can confirm that even CV players hate the FDR. Its planes have the health to tank multiple fighter squads plus the carriers own AA to strike the carrier itself.

Patrol fighters aren't much use against them, either, again due to their high health per plane and how many planes are in the squad.

[ARGSY]
Members
680 posts
10,868 battles

Just reground two lines for research points. American line was the line that I learned to play on and Fletcher was my go to boat. However, the line has just been too power creaped and it was not fun to grind them over. Gearing is just not very good anymore and the great Fletcher just average. Then I reground the British DD line. It is still a very good line and I pretty much enjoyed playing every ship in the line. Jervis, Lightning, Justland and Daring are still the best all around dds in the game. Love the French and love the EU line but the Brits are still the best. 

[WOLF3]
Members
508 posts
11,733 battles

Thanks everyone for your input. I will go down the british and american lines I think then. The brit dds look like the most interesting.

Edited by Drifter_X

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
684 posts
8,030 battles

The best CV lines go like this:

Bogue - Independence - Essex

Zuiho - Hiryu - Taiho

Should definitely invest in them.

[WOLF3]
Members
508 posts
11,733 battles
On 2/1/2021 at 9:43 AM, warheart1992 said:

Used to be, but under the new HE penetration rules Daring and Jutland can penetrate up to 19mm armor, which is the most common plating among DDs and sufficient for CLs and superstructures of any class. So you pretty much save another 4 points there with good fire chance too. But again, the real star of the tier IX-X is the AP. Think mini Minotaur with improved autobounce angles and fuses. Incredibly devastating against anything showing broadside, especially DDs.

You had me at mini-minotaur lol. With the new meta I might warm back up to dds.

[V1-PI]
Beta Testers
9 posts
3,946 battles

Shimakaze has come into its own with the new rework of captain skills... cruisers don't push as hard as they used to, and we are just seeing fewer radar cruisers in general. get the 12K torps, spec for torp skills, and flank around the edges of the map and melt the big dumb BBs at will. so much fun.