iBrowEcc0

should just play more games like us

17 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
206 posts
7,273 battles

"Wisconsin pharmacist who destroyed more than 500 vaccine doses believes Earth is flat, FBI says"

don't mean to have it bold but anything beyond copy and paste is hard work.

• Haha 1

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,815 battles

Waaait a sec, WHAT?

is this a troll thread?

Edited by AdmiralFox08

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
979 battles
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,843 posts
4,285 battles

When I first saw this story I thought the guy had destroyed the vaccines by negligence, leaving them out or something. Nope, it was deliberate. I don't care what you're opinion on the vaccine is, but that's, uh, maybe indicative of some issues. Now looks like he's definitely got some problems. My main question is how on earth someone who clearly has some problems with modern science was able or even wanted to become a pharmacist!!? This is something I'd expect from some nutjob who had a job moving the vaccine in a warehouse or something, not the guy who's apparently giving out medications...

• Cool 2

[WOLF6]
Members
206 posts
7,273 battles

what I meant was that, people now a days got alot of free time.  spend it playing games, or other hobbies instead of going down rabbit holes like this guy.

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
206 posts
7,273 battles
33 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

When I first saw this story I thought the guy had destroyed the vaccines by negligence, leaving them out or something. Nope, it was deliberate. I don't care what you're opinion on the vaccine is, but that's, uh, maybe indicative of some issues. Now looks like he's definitely got some problems. My main question is how on earth someone who clearly has some problems with modern science was able or even wanted to become a pharmacist!!? This is something I'd expect from some nutjob who had a job moving the vaccine in a warehouse or something, not the guy who's apparently giving out medications...

I think its the way how our mind works.

On the surface it might not seem like it but I think its similar how people are afraid of something lurking in the dark.  

being smart doesn't preclude you from these tendencies 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,885 posts
25,782 battles

"and in fact ancient authors acknowledged how far away things were when it came to this country of silk far, far to the east.  Apparently one christian writer actually quotes some Indian philosophers who state that if a rope were stretched from Rome to China directly, it would pass through the center of the Earth."

shot-21-01-31-01-25-31-0112.jpg

It's disappointing to know that with modern education and the internet making information easily available, within reach of one's own fingertips, that people believe in idiotic things.

• Cool 1

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
979 battles
49 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

"and in fact ancient authors acknowledged how far away things were when it came to this country of silk far, far to the east.  Apparently one christian writer actually quotes some Indian philosophers who state that if a rope were stretched from Rome to China directly, it would pass through the center of the Earth."

It's disappointing to know that with modern education and the internet making information easily available, within reach of one's own fingertips, that people believe in idiotic things.

Yes, ancient Rome and China met, it's recorded on Chinese textbooks and all that. Italy, idk.

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,056 posts
13,833 battles

I read the comment as a 'Flat Earth' WoWs' map, where campers can fall of the edge of the map, and fall into 'Here, there be Dragons', (a fairly common notation on old maps, where OTH was a frightening unknown).  

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
On 2/1/2021 at 4:09 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Carl makes it too complicated for today's educational schooling. These days in your face basic logic isn't there.

I always wondered if the world were flat, how do you explain a ship disappearing over the horizon? If the earth were flat, the ship would get smaller but in proportion. You would not see the tallest part of the ship last. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,932 posts
14,885 battles
On 2/1/2021 at 3:09 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

On 2/1/2021 at 3:59 PM, Lose_dudes said:

Yes, ancient Rome and China met, it's recorded on Chinese textbooks and all that. Italy, idk.

It is a given as the Silk Road was operating even in ancient times but direct contact probably didn't happen as the caravans probably handed off somewhere in the middle. It is surprising that the Romans with how well they kept records that they have no mention of the people far to the east.

5 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Carl makes it too complicated for today's educational schooling. These days in your face basic logic isn't there.

I always wondered if the world were flat, how do you explain a ship disappearing over the horizon? If the earth were flat, the ship would get smaller but in proportion. You would not see the tallest part of the ship last. 

There you go using logic. You should know better than that with how the world is these days.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,500 posts

Many "flat earthers" are indeed either mentally ill or have been raised and/or indoctrinated by idiots. A few, however, are Socratic gadflies who enjoy testing people's beliefs. Ask most people what the shape of the Earth is and they will say "round" without hesitation. However, being round doesn't preclude the Earth from also being flat as a disk is round. Very few will use the correct terminology when describing the shape of the Earth, which is an oblate spheroid. Even fewer will be able to explain how they would perform an experiment to verify that the Earth is spheroidal, other than just saying "fly into space and look," which they really can't do.

Based on the fact that ships at sea appeared to drop below the horizon, the ancient Greek philosophers performed experiments using the length of shadows cast at the solstice in far removed areas and the angles of sightings to the stars and not only came up with the realization that the Earth was spherical but also calculated its circumference reasonably well. Columbus well knew that the Earth was spherical or he would never have tried to reach the East Indies by sailing west from Europe.

To show how much of what we've been taught and thus think we know is wrong, just ask most people who first circumnavigated the globe. If they remember anything about the history they were taught in grade school they will probably say "Magellan." However, this is incorrect. Although Magellan had visited the Malay Archipelago previously by traveling there from the East, he didn't quite reach the same spot from the West as he died fighting in the Philippines. Juan El Cano eventually captained the single remaining ship of the expedition back to Spain and thus was, with the few remaining men of the expedition, a member of the first crew to circumnavigate the globe in one trip.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts

@Snargfargle I had never heard that about Juan El Cano! A person I once knew who was recognized for work "they did" internationally, which was not completely accurate but nonetheless they were credited with the work, said this when I asked about it.

"Well in this case I was the victor. Remember, history is written by the victor, history is written by those who won." 

Perhaps in the case of Juan, those surviving felt crediting the big M credit was the better thing to do, eh? For any number of reasons? 

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
8,141 posts
13,187 battles

:cap_book::cap_wander:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,885 posts
25,782 battles
12 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

There you go using logic. You should know better than that with how the world is these days.

12 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Carl Sagan would be very sad if he saw the state of things today.

Anyways, the USA folks!

School had changed compared to when I was a kid.  Less time in them, at least at the high school level.  When I was in the Marines I had been on Recruiting Duty in California for a while.  I didn't have kids of my own so I was surprised to see those I knew from the high schools I was responsible for out in town at noon and school was out.  I thought it to be that one Minimum Day or whatever, which was a rare thing when I was in HS.  But it was a frequent thing.  Schools didn't have the money so some weird system was made where a sh*tload of time the kids weren't at school at all.  This was in late 2000s and getting into 2010.  This cannot have good effects for America down the line.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1