Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Yesman1337

Flak Hitting in Attack Run Bug?

7 comments in this topic

[EQV]
Members
144 posts
1,408 battles

This has become increasingly frequent as of late but my aircraft keep getting deleted from the sky by it after I have started an attack run or have started a dive. You can not really maneuver to dodge it and it used to be you were immune to flak when midst attack run. Now however this does not seem to be the case. I keep getting hit by flak in the middle of lining up torpedo runs etc and there is nothing I can do about it. I can't maneuver and the little I can do screws up the attack run. You lose and entire squadron to this as flak basically deletes whatever it hits. Sometimes the flak does not even seem to hit anything and I still lose what's left of the squadron.

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
979 battles

The CV haters will cover your post with 'You deserve it [edited] CV player!"

Just hope for the best.

I haven't tried my Langley in a few days. Huh.

• Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,843 posts
4,285 battles

Flak can definitely hit you in the attack run. You have to walk the line between moving enough to dodge and little enough to not screw up your drop. Also flak only is spawned by the long range (and maybe medium range?) AA guns, so once you get inside a certain radius there shouldn't be any flak from the ship you're attacking. However, if you start your run too early you will eat flak. The best idea is to dodge inside of the flak radius and then start the run. Also if you are in AA range of other ships than their flak will come in during the attack. Try not to attack a ship in flak range of another ship, because that will definitely mess you up.

Also while some flak is spawned ahead of you the initial burst can be spawned right on top of you, which essentially deletes planes with little warning.

You are absolutely susceptible to flak in the attack run though, and I think you always have been (could be wrong, a lot changed fast with the rework). The counterplay for flak is the same as for DDs: Just DodgeTM.

7 minutes ago, Lose_dudes said:

I haven't tried my Langley in a few days. Huh.

You're not going to have a problem in Langly because most ships at T4 don't generate enough flak to even matter.

Members
1,186 posts
1,698 battles
34 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

and it used to be you were immune to flak when midst attack run.

That was both unrealistic and impossible, unless the gunners had really bad aim.

35 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

Sometimes the flak does not even seem to hit anything and I still lose what's left of the squadron.

Now THAT'S a bug, a visual one, but I've seen that even before Update 0.10.0. It could also be due to parallax, a situation where images have different alignments depending on which angle you view it from. Parallax is a brain error, not a computer error.

[EQV]
Members
144 posts
1,408 battles
15 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Flak can definitely hit you in the attack run. You have to walk the line between moving enough to dodge and little enough to not screw up your drop. Also flak only is spawned by the long range (and maybe medium range?) AA guns, so once you get inside a certain radius there shouldn't be any flak from the ship you're attacking. However, if you start your run too early you will eat flak. The best idea is to dodge inside of the flak radius and then start the run. Also if you are in AA range of other ships than their flak will come in during the attack. Try not to attack a ship in flak range of another ship, because that will definitely mess you up.

Also while some flak is spawned ahead of you the initial burst can be spawned right on top of you, which essentially deletes planes with little warning.

You are absolutely susceptible to flak in the attack run though, and I think you always have been (could be wrong, a lot changed fast with the rework). The counterplay for flak is the same as for DDs: Just DodgeTM.

You're not going to have a problem in Langly because most ships at T4 don't generate enough flak to even matter.

There are other ships around usually firing flak. It's not from the ship I am attacking. There is no physical way to dodge as you do not have enough control over you aircraft when starting or in the middle of an attack run. This never used to happen before. I used to just fly through clouds of flak when in midst of a run. (Yes I know it is ridiculous but some ships AA is too strong to get if they group up so I figured this was a way of allowing you get at least one run off) Only recently has flak seemed to damaging me mid run.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,843 posts
4,285 battles
20 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

There are other ships around usually firing flak. It's not from the ship I am attacking. There is no physical way to dodge as you do not have enough control over you aircraft when starting or in the middle of an attack run. This never used to happen before. I used to just fly through clouds of flak when in midst of a run. (Yes I know it is ridiculous but some ships AA is too strong to get if they group up so I figured this was a way of allowing you get at least one run off) Only recently has flak seemed to damaging me mid run.

Flying through flak clouds is how you lose entire squads instantly and deplane yourself. I notice you mostly have T4 and T6 CVs, has this recent flak damage coincided with you starting to play T8 CVs? Because you can fly through flak at T4, and kind of get away with it at T6, but T8+ flak deletes planes instantly. That's the whole idea, it does huge damage but you can dodge it. If you're used to just flying through it and ignoring what ships are nearby this is pretty much the result I'd expect. You have to pick targets that are isolated, choose your attack direction to avoid AA bubbles, duck and dodge through the flak inside of its range and then start your run. Grouped up ships are pretty much a no go for CVs.

I'm guessing you're experiencing somewhat effective AA at higher tiers now. You can no longer just bulldoze strait through, you will lose all the planes that way. Start working on dodging and picking targets carefully. CVs might be OP and broken but only for relatively skilled players.

[EQV]
Members
144 posts
1,408 battles
On 2/1/2021 at 11:50 AM, AJTP89 said:

Flying through flak clouds is how you lose entire squads instantly and deplane yourself. I notice you mostly have T4 and T6 CVs, has this recent flak damage coincided with you starting to play T8 CVs? Because you can fly through flak at T4, and kind of get away with it at T6, but T8+ flak deletes planes instantly. That's the whole idea, it does huge damage but you can dodge it. If you're used to just flying through it and ignoring what ships are nearby this is pretty much the result I'd expect. You have to pick targets that are isolated, choose your attack direction to avoid AA bubbles, duck and dodge through the flak inside of its range and then start your run. Grouped up ships are pretty much a no go for CVs.

I'm guessing you're experiencing somewhat effective AA at higher tiers now. You can no longer just bulldoze strait through, you will lose all the planes that way. Start working on dodging and picking targets carefully. CVs might be OP and broken but only for relatively skilled players.

No it has nothing to do with higher tier CV's as it has happened on other tiers as well. This flak is un dodge able as it spawns as you starting an attack run or in midst of one and it deletes your aircraft. You get used to high tier AA at tier 6. I never flew through it Im not a fool it still does massive damage at lower tiers. This flak spawns and does damage when you physically can not maneuver to dodge it and hence just wrecks squadrons. I know how to play CV's relatively well.

Sign in to follow this