You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xXxBaba_YagaxXx

Best Prem European Destroyer?

Friesland or Orkan?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Best idiot proof Premium Destroyer from the European line?

• Friesland
    • Orkan
    • None

24 comments in this topic

[TCCN]
Members
79 posts
9,142 battles

You're missing the Smaland, Blyzcawica and bacon so your poll is invalid

Edited by triley70
correct grammar
  • Cool 2

[ILAN]
Members
39 posts
6,629 battles
Just now, triley70 said:

You're missing the Smaland, Blyzcawica and bacon so you're poll is invalid

Yes I know, but I can't acquire that, not enough free XP :Smile_sad:

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,829 posts
7,548 battles

Smaland...

[ARGSY]
Members
23,462 posts
17,427 battles

Neither Friesland nor Orkan is idiot-proof. The first comes with the downside of absolutely no torpedoes at all, and the second with no smoke and only half as many tubes as the ship she's derived from (Lightning). Worse, the Orkan torps are Swedish, so you lack one-shot kill potential against BB, CV and many large cruisers. 

Neither is to be contemplated without a lot of research and watching people play her on YouTube. At least the Friesland can be had without spending money. 

I would not recommend the Orkan unless I was VERY comfortable in Swedish destroyers already, and I don't have her because I don't need her (managed to accumulate enough FXP for Smaland before she disappeared). 

Having Smaland makes me want a ship which does what she does from smoke, but before I spend a million FXP on Friesland I want to be sure I don't have to hold it back for something else first (specifically, Vampire II).

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,823 posts
2,663 battles

I have both, and enjoy both.  That being said, Friesland is the stronger ship for randoms.  Orkan works best in a division, preferably with something that has a high rof and smoke.

[SYN]
Members
1,420 posts
10,997 battles

I got Orkan in a Christmas crate and she is a good boat if you are able to get the red dd's in an advantageous position. 

If you don't know whether that is your playstyle, try out the radar Hsienyang.  I play them almost the same, but I think that the Hsienyang is a little stronger.  If you enjoy the playstyle, though, the Orkan  is a good boat to get to reap premium benefits. 

I have had the most success in ranked play. I have not tried the Orkan as much in random play. I am not sure how she would be with 11 ships behind the red DD. Most of my random game play in Hsienyang has been smoke build. 

[ARGSY]
Members
23,462 posts
17,427 battles
23 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

If you don't know whether that is your playstyle, try out the radar Hsienyang. 

The many-headed problem with taking the Radar Hsienyang as proxy for the Orkan is that

a) Hsienyang can't torp other DDs in their smoke (so she can't fire torps to cut off a line of retreat, which the Orkan could do). 

b) When she CAN torp in smoke, she has twice the launchers with many times the alpha strike (and can do things the Orkan can't). 

c) Her gun armament is nowhere near representative of Orkan's. 

I know where you're coming from - I thought at first to play Hsienyang in this way as well, making a mental note that IRL I would actually have Lightning's guns (and I know what they are like, having already played her through) - but the torpedo thing was where it fell down for me.

The only other DD which is in any way similar is the Black, if you chose to eschew the smokescreen, except that even there, the torps are way too dissimilar and there are many destroyers which can actually outrun them. Plus the Black isn't exactly the easiest ship to get hold of, since WG hasn't seen fit to return her to availability yet. To paraphrase Matthew, Ch 24, v.36 But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven... :Smile_veryhappy: Rather ironic for a ship whose pennant number is 666... 

[INTEL]
Members
3,464 posts
19,190 battles

Orkan has very poor AA and most T8 and T10 Cvs can wreck her.  Otherwise, for no-CV games, she's good.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,816 posts

I am not a gun boat DD guy.  That said, when I do need to shoot things with a DD for a mission, shoot down planes, or start fires with a DD.  Friesland is ma jam.  It's a fun ship.

[KMS]
[KMS]
3,747 posts
12,636 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Neither Friesland nor Orkan is idiot-proof. The first comes with the downside of absolutely no torpedoes at all, and the second with no smoke and only half as many tubes as the ship she's derived from (Lightning). Worse, the Orkan torps are Swedish, so you lack one-shot kill potential against BB, CV and many large cruisers. 

Neither is to be contemplated without a lot of research and watching people play her on YouTube. At least the Friesland can be had without spending money. 

I would not recommend the Orkan unless I was VERY comfortable in Swedish destroyers already, and I don't have her because I don't need her (managed to accumulate enough FXP for Smaland before she disappeared). 

Having Smaland makes me want a ship which does what she does from smoke, but before I spend a million FXP on Friesland I want to be sure I don't have to hold it back for something else first (specifically, Vampire II).

The four torps on the Orkan can do enough dmg if you hit with torpedoes.  Might not be 1 strike kills but I took down a full Bismark to 1/4 with all the torps.  The best feature is the 7.5 radar.   But Smalland is the best one.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,462 posts
17,427 battles
Just now, Nachoo31 said:

The four torps on the Orkan can do enough dmg if you hit with torpedoes.

Whose torps are they? I know I found the Oland a lot better after I got the fully upgraded torps, because of the significant increase in per-torp raw damage.

[KMS]
[KMS]
3,747 posts
12,636 battles
6 minutes ago, ThisIsClassic said:

Orkan has very poor AA and most T8 and T10 Cvs can wreck her.  Otherwise, for no-CV games, she's good.

Did you play an Orkan?  CVs are no problem.  Crap I freaking ranked out on my second account, Tier 8 only with Orkan and the other Euro tier 8 dd.  Think was a sprint though.. oh well.

[SYN]
Members
1,420 posts
10,997 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The many-headed problem

Despite the differences, they are similar, and can be played the same.  I think the Hsienyang is the stronger boat for a lot of reasons, but I play them very much the same. 

I have not had to use torps to fight red DDs in the Orkan. In fact, when I saw how effective it was in ranked play, I tried the Hsienyang and I found it even more effective.   Its torps are deadly and it is durable.   

If considering to purchase the Orkan,  there is only one other Tier 8 DD that I have used that gives a similar experience. Black is so much different since it has a smoke, that I didn't even see it as comparable. 

Soon as I get up some credits, I have the Chung Mu researched and hope to see how she works. 

[KMS]
[KMS]
3,747 posts
12,636 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Whose torps are they? I know I found the Oland a lot better after I got the fully upgraded torps, because of the significant increase in per-torp raw damage.

Oh can't forget. Orkan does get a secondary like the Kiev.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,893 battles

They Both have their ups and downs. Friesland has insane DPM, smoke, hydro, and DFAA, but no torps. Orkan has radar and decent guns, but only 1x4 torps that are the swedish squeaky toys that won't devstrike anything but DDs. 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,823 posts
2,663 battles
17 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

Did you play an Orkan?  CVs are no problem.  Crap I freaking ranked out on my second account, Tier 8 only with Orkan and the other Euro tier 8 dd.  Think was a sprint though.. oh well.

CVs are very much a problem for Orkan if they decide to focus her.  You have no way to defend yourself from planes, and you cant disengage from the spotting with smoke.  The CV doesnt even need to attack you, all it has to do is keep you spotted, which isnt an issue since Orkan's AA is crap.  You are entirely forced to rely on teammates to protect you from planes, which prevents you from contesting early caps.  Late game, all you can really do is hope the CV either doesnt look for you or is really bad.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,464 posts
19,190 battles
18 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

I like Orkan as a gunboat and I've played it  a fair bit.  I've not played it in Ranked so my experience has solely been in Randoms.   One battle that sealed the deal for me was me getting deleted by a CV in the first ~3 mins of a Random battle while I cowered next to a friendly Massachusetts.

Oland has better AA but I tend to choose other ships as my preferred DD at T8.

Orkan:

image.png.21183f0b59dff373fb42a4e1c72a4922.png

Oland:

image.png.bfe5188a21f9630f4bde138b3e31d598.png

[KIVA]
Members
162 posts
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Orkan has identical torps to Oland's upgraded set, and the same reload timer; the only difference is the launcher and tube count.

[AAA]
Members
210 posts
20,059 battles

Randoms 

Orkan - Average

Friesland - Above average

Competitive 

Orkan - Beast  

Friesland - Average ( at best) 

All the Friesland can do is spam HE. Once the red ship determines it’s a Friesland in the smoke, they just have to charge and it is dead. I have killed many Frieslands in this manner. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,955 posts
15,815 battles

Given until this thread came up I'd entirely forgotten Orkan existed, I'd have to say Friesland.

[ARRSE]
Members
214 posts
1,407 battles

Friesland is quite handy for a variety of mission grinds in co-op (main battery hits", "fires started", "caps defended", "ships spotted", etc).

[DVYJC]
Members
3,897 posts
9,845 battles
3 hours ago, Nachoo31 said:

Oh can't forget. Orkan does get a secondary like the Kiev.

Remember when Orkan first came out, and part of WG's sales pitch was that you could 'surprise other players by getting Close-Quarters Combat achievements!' with her? 

Pepperidge Farms remembers! 

:cap_haloween: