You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shannon_Lindsey

The most fun I have had since the CV rework!

13 comments in this topic

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,162 posts
11,308 battles

I used to be a CV main before the CV rework, but the new CVs really didn't move me, and I have been playing more of the other ship types, and performing better in them. Tonight, I found my old niche with the new CVs thanks to the new skills in the skill rework, and I am sharing it! Strafing lives!!!!!

BTW, if anyone can teach me how to embed, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 4

[SGSS]
Members
5,788 posts
1 hour ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

I used to be a CV main before the CV rework, but the new CVs really didn't move me, and I have been playing more of the other ship types, and performing better in them. Tonight, I found my old niche with the new CVs thanks to the new skills in the skill rework, and I am sharing it!

I like the new much better than the old style.  Glad you got your way back

The interceptor thing was cool.  I have to watch the rest of it tomorrow to see what happened.

What is your build?

I really love faster torp arming.  Sipan lives sight stabilizer.  

Edited by jags_domain

[PVE]
Members
7,914 posts
23,881 battles
5 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

I used to be a CV main before the CV rework, but the new CVs really didn't move me, and I have been playing more of the other ship types, and performing better in them. Tonight, I found my old niche with the new CVs thanks to the new skills in the skill rework, and I am sharing it! Strafing lives!!!!!

I've been getting tired of CVs lately but would love to have you on my team...you actually concentrate dropping fighters over farming damage...well team played.

Members
2,432 posts
52 battles

Fighter builds are fairly easy to avoid if you're not completely braindead.

And frankly you almost threw the match by spamming fighters.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,561 posts

It really does not matter if a CV player was not able to attack and land anything to damage the enemy team enough to matter.

Fighters if anything is very good for your team if you have and use them.

You will find in my CV states post rework that I average less than 10,000 damage given to the Red Team in a CV. Most of the strike planes are essentially shot down even attacking lone destroyers. So if anything I can do ten times that Damage in anything other than CV.

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles

Tried to make this build work again yesterday, but if the enemy CV isn't a complete idiot who just flied straight, fighters can be easily avoided even if they latch.

It is a waste of several skill points. You are better off providing spotting for the team.

Edited by WarStore
  • Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,788 posts
3 hours ago, xHeavy said:

It really does not matter if a CV player was not able to attack and land anything to damage the enemy team enough to matter.

Fighters if anything is very good for your team if you have and use them.

You will find in my CV states post rework that I average less than 10,000 damage given to the Red Team in a CV. Most of the strike planes are essentially shot down even attacking lone destroyers. So if anything I can do ten times that Damage in anything other than CV.

How is your XP with little damage?  What is your average damage.

How often does enemy just go to the other side of the map?

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,826 posts
7,537 battles

I've messed around with the fighter builds.. Meh, basically just felt like I was hurting my team chasing enemy planes around instead of damaging crap.  I haven't come against anyone that has used it effectively against me.  Had some try.   Kind of funny watching them chase you around with their planes..  basically just save some boost. bait them and either attach them to decoy drop, F key out,  or boost through them before they can attach.  However.. I could maybe see that build being very useful competitively against an opponent running an FDR?     I figure someone will get clever and figure out how to use them well.  

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,745 posts
21,845 battles

Glad you had fun it with it, but:

1. The other guy didn't seem to know where his F key was. He could have evac'ed more than 3/4 of the times you manage to surprise fighter him (the other 1/4 he committed to a strike even though he knew the fighters were there).
  2. Interceptor activated only a few times, and it didn't save the ships you tried to protect (e.g. Shima at 10:45 video time)
  3. By the time you actually had an impact on the enemy CV's reserves, the game was pretty much over. He was still launching 6+ plane strikes 14-15 minutes into the game.
  4. By flying around trying to defend ships that died anyway, you left over 100k damage on the table, which IMO would have been far more impactful on the game outcome.

IMO you get the best mileage out of fighter skills if you can set up "jousts" where you and the enemy CV hard contest the same region of the map. Play as if you're striking, but fly over the friendly ships that are going to be the next CV targets, and drop the fighters there on your way to do actual striking. An either/or (like at the beginning where you're relaunching squadrons to drop more fighter coverage instead of spotting and striking their DDs) is going to result in low impact.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,432 posts
17,387 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Glad you had fun it with it, but:

It's going to take a combination of people like Shannon derping around with it and people like you picking the deficiencies apart to work out how to use them most effectively. The interceptor line seems optimized for the Enterprise, whose CAP groups are unusually large to start with and which can either completely destroy or severely deplete any other air group in the game if they latch.

I only got into playing carriers after the days of air superiority builds for US CV were dead and gone, but I followed that argument as much as any n00b who wasn't then playing CV could, and I suspect it wouldn't be out of place for those who were invested in them to drag up some old links for a game of compare-and-contrast.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,745 posts
21,845 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

picking the deficiencies apart to work out how to use them most effectively

I ragefinished the last Ranked week with Midway. Currently I'm of the opinion that only the 4-point fighter talent is worth anything, and does not need the 1, 2, or 3-pointers to make it work.

But for competitive modes like CB, I doubt I'd even take that, as it cuts the fighter duration by 25%, and for teamplay, you want that spotting.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,432 posts
17,387 battles
20 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I ragefinished the last Ranked week with Midway. Currently I'm of the opinion that only the 4-point fighter talent is worth anything, and does not need the 1, 2, or 3-pointers to make it work.

But for competitive modes like CB, I doubt I'd even take that, as it cuts the fighter duration by 25%, and for teamplay, you want that spotting.

Keep on talking, and I mean that positively, unironically and without sarcasm.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,745 posts
21,845 battles
25 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Keep on talking, and I mean that positively, unironically and without sarcasm.

It's pretty straightforwardly that. Insta-aggroing fighters can sort of do their job, whereas regular ones practically don't. The "penalty" to call-in time on fighters is actually just there to offset the decreased aggro delay.

Enhanced Reactions also doesn't give away your intentions like the big square fighter icon does, so that's a plus. People will only know if they see the longer fly-in animation or get caught by it. Related hint: The fly-in animation for fighters now has them travel from the edge to the center of their circle, so you know how long you have until they become active.

And as long as you don't take interceptor, your fighters will continue to function as spotters, albeit for 45 seconds instead of 60. So IMO if you're going to take any fighter talents at all right now, take Enhanced Reactions and AVOID Interceptor.

That said, skilled CV players don't send in more planes than they need anyway, and they'll drop fighters to neutralize yours basically everywhere that isn't inside a friendly AA zone, so I'd only recommend it in Ranked and Randoms for now. While that might sound like a reason to take Interceptor, IMO it's a trap. All you're doing is forcing them to bomb some other target for one pass, and you're giving up the ability to drop spotters, which is questionable even in Randoms. Plus you're starting to lose out on some serious captain points elsewhere with that much investment.

Edited by Edgecase