You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mrgisa

Secondaries Questions

11 comments in this topic

[SWORD]
Members
6 posts
6,035 battles

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I hope it is in the right spot.  Apologies if it is not.

I have some questions about secondaries which I cannot for the life of me seem to find the answers to.  I suppose they are theoretical/situational.  Hear me out.

Scenario 1: I am approaching an enemy ship who just crosses into my range of my secondaries.  Do I need to select that ship for them to work?  Is there a benefit to selecting that ship?

Scenario 2: I approach two enemies who cross into my range of secondaries, one on each side.  Will each side fire at each ship automatically?  Is there a benefit to selecting a ship?  If I select a ship, will my secondaries all focus on him, even if they can't hit?  Would it be better NOT to select a ship?  Could I select both ships?

Scenario 3 (yes, this one shouldn't happen often): suppose I come across 3 ships in secondary range.  2 to the left, 1 to the right.  If I do nothing, will they go off automatically?  Would my secondaries simply go for the closer ship?  If that ship were to move back, would they automatically just go for the closer ship?  I can see that here, selecting one of the two ships has it's strength.

These sound silly and I know that secondaries have been nerfed but it'd be good to know in case one (or two) actually get in range.

Mr. Gisa

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
14,005 posts
4 minutes ago, mrgisa said:

1. It will open up automatically. Selecting a ship just means they prioritize that ship if they have the angle to hit it. If you have the manual secondaries skill selecting one target will grant improved dispersion against that one target.

2. Each side will fire on ships in range.

3.. They will engage ships automatically if they have the angle to hit them. In certain cases only a few secondaries have the angle to hit a particular ship so the others will shoot a different target.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Thanks 3

[SWORD]
Members
6 posts
6,035 battles

Thank you RipNun2!  You rock!  That's one less thing to semi-worry about.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,274 posts
9,988 battles
2 minutes ago, mrgisa said:

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I hope it is in the right spot.  Apologies if it is not.

I have some questions about secondaries which I cannot for the life of me seem to find the answers to.  I suppose they are theoretical/situational.  Hear me out.

Scenario 1: I am approaching an enemy ship who just crosses into my range of my secondaries.  Do I need to select that ship for them to work?  Is there a benefit to selecting that ship?

No, but if you have 2 targets on one side, selecting one will focus fire on it. If you have the 3-point secondary skill, (can't remember the name) then selecting the target will work as above, but provide a 35% reduction to dispersion.

Scenario 2: I approach two enemies who cross into my range of secondaries, one on each side.  Will each side fire at each ship automatically? 

Yes.

Is there a benefit to selecting a ship? 

Only if you have the captain skill.

If I select a ship, will my secondaries all focus on him, even if they can't hit?

No, only the secondaries that can hit him will focus on him.

Would it be better NOT to select a ship?  Could I select both ships?

Only if there are 2 ships on the same side, and you want to fire at both of them simultaneously.

You can only select one ship.

Scenario 3 (yes, this one shouldn't happen often): suppose I come across 3 ships in secondary range.  2 to the left, 1 to the right.  If I do nothing, will they go off automatically?  Would my secondaries simply go for the closer ship?  If that ship were to move back, would they automatically just go for the closer ship?  I can see that here, selecting one of the two ships has it's strength.

If you do nothing, all 3 ships will be fired upon, the left side guns will split and engage both targets. (dunno how it decides the split)

If you select the ship on the right, nothing changes. If you select a ship on the left, the other will be ignored, and the ship on the right will be fired at as well.

And anytime you select a ship, if you have the captain skill, you'll get the dispersion bonus against that ship only.

• Thanks 1

[SWORD]
Members
6 posts
6,035 battles

I appreciate the clarification.  Unfortunately, I don't have many high point commanders yet and I have higher priorities (wait for it...I'm looking at you dead-eye) but it is something I was wondering about.

Last q: to confirm - I can't even select a ship without the improved secondary battery aiming skill (mfcsa I think it was, pre-update 10.0), correct?  I seem to be able to select ships in game without this skill (not sure why that would even be possible) but just want to confirm.

Mr. Gisa

[FORM]
Members
2,204 posts
13,208 battles

Last q: to confirm - I can't even select a ship without the improved secondary battery aiming skill (mfcsa I think it was, pre-update 10.0), correct?  I seem to be able to select ships in game without this skill (not sure why that would even be possible) but just want to confirm.

You can select a ship to focus your secondaries at any time, but w/o manual secondary skill it won't be more accurate. Ctrl + click the ship itself not the player name, it's a bit tricky but once you get it, you get it.

Also keep in mind that secondaries tend to point out more to the sides of the ship, so the gun arcs aren't as forward pointing as your main guns. They won't track to aim until they're able to fire so sometimes they can't fire b/c of angles, or don't track quickly enough.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[SWORD]
Members
6 posts
6,035 battles

Thank you for clarifying, TheArc.  I did run MFCSA sp? on my Georgia before, so I know a little bit about them but with the changes, just wanted to make sure.  That would make sense then that I could click and it's good to know that I can specify a target for them for...target practice? lol

I also appreciate the extra info as that explains why it seems there is a bit of lag once a ship enters secondary range.  I would click on it shortly after the ship entered range and was like 'fire darnit fire!' it and then it would seem to work shortly after when really, the turrets were just tracking in to fire.

Thank you all for your explanations.  With so much to figure out with the new skills, it's one less thing off my plate.

Mr. Gisa

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,487 posts
22,867 battles

Wow I thought this was cut and dry....

THEN I LERNT S'MTING....

not selecting does have a benifit, and they can hit more than 1 ship on a side....

Just goes to show you an old hat can learn new things.

@mrgisa thanks for the post. 

• Cool 1

[SWORD]
Members
6 posts
6,035 battles

You're welcome.  Glad it helped others learn.

And knowing's half the battle!

image.png.be86fb7b7a6c3822e949f0ab95b69250.png

[WOLFG]
Members
32,274 posts
9,988 battles
2 hours ago, mrgisa said:

Thank you for clarifying, TheArc.  I did run MFCSA sp? on my Georgia before, so I know a little bit about them but with the changes, just wanted to make sure.  That would make sense then that I could click and it's good to know that I can specify a target for them for...target practice? lol

If you have more than one ship on one side of your ship, you want to focus on one.

[SWORD]
Members
6 posts
6,035 battles

I agree.  If one had a permafire, I'd want to focus on the other and if neither had it, I'd focus on one as well to try get some fires going.  Hopefully, secondaries will get a slight boost or improvement with the next version.