You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Scottie_Lockhart

Destroyer Detectability

13 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts

Why is it that when I play a DD and I'm in smoke with secondaries off and I'm not firing everyone hits me straight on even BB's and they ate outside my detectability range?  This had happened numerous times. I'm not a great player so just wondering. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,488 posts
22,872 battles

Are you detected by hydro or radar?

Is a ship within assured detection range?

Did you just stop in your smoke and your last known position on mini map is also your current position?

Once a ship in smoke is hit, it's very easy to shoot that same spot .

• Cool 2

[CK5]
Members
1,524 posts
16,305 battles

Stopping completely in smoke in a DD is a bad idea.  You need to at least move around a little bit forward and reverse to prevent red ships from making good guesses in blind shots.  Also, the duration of your smoke does not mean you can stay in smoke for the same amount of time.  Be prepared to leave early before the red team figures out your location.   

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
19,046 posts
7,143 battles
31 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Are you detected by hydro or radar?

Is a ship within assured detection range?

Did you just stop in your smoke and your last known position on mini map is also your current position?

Once a ship in smoke is hit, it's very easy to shoot that same spot .

My guess is that they were blind firing him.

7 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Stopping completely in smoke in a DD is a bad idea.  You need to at least move around a little bit forward and reverse to prevent red ships from making good guesses in blind shots.  Also, the duration of your smoke does not mean you can stay in smoke for the same amount of time.  Be prepared to leave early before the red team figures out your location.   

Very correct, sir.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,824 posts
4,285 battles

First, double check you aren't spotted. There could be someone in closer or you could be radared or hydroed. Also secondaries (not that you have any on most DDs) don't increase smoke detection. Also some of it could be residual fire from when you were last spotted, they shot before you went dark and the shells hit you a few seconds later.

Finally, people are getting good at smoke firing. Smoke meta used to be really big. WG has moved the game away from that, but also people in response have REALLY started shooting smokescreens. When there used to be 3 smokescreens aside, you learned to shoot back. Now almost everyone will unload into smoke with guns if there's nothing else to shoot at. Do it enough and you get decent at blind fire. Even easier now with the minimap marker, if you don't move all I have to do is put my gun sight on where you were last seen and shoot, chances are I'll hit you.

Rule number one of smokescreens is they are ordnance magnets, anyone with a spare torp or shell is going to unload it in your direction. So never sit still. It's very tempting to just sit in smoke and start spamming away. But especially in rapid fire ships that makes you pretty easy to hit by aiming at the source of the shells. Always be moving around a little, this makes it much harder to hit you. It also keeps you moving for when (not if, when) the torps appear. And always have an escape plan. The biggest thing I had to learn was how to escape the smoke when it expired. It's very easy to pop smoke and then sit safe and sound. But in a minute or so that smoke is going to disappear, and if you don't have a good escape route ready you're going to be far to close in open water to a whole lot of enemy ships you just spent the last two minutes pissing off.

So make sure you're not detected, don't sit still in smokescreens, and always have an escape route ready.

Also, if you want to post a replay where this happens we can take a look and see what's going on.

• Cool 2

[KWF]
Members
5,771 posts
7,007 battles

x.PNG.8bac96606fb2141a0d3e3d0a26747ad3.P

See that small circle on the minimap? People can overlap it over your last location and spam until they start getting hits. Then they can move their fire depending on the hits they get on you that still register as explosions instead of splashes. Especially with some quick firing DDs like Friesland and Kitakaze it can be pretty devastating.  This is the more reasonable explanation.

There is another possibility, though I'm not sure if it's possible anymore. Some illegal mod packs used to have a "shot origin" option, basically displaying the exact location from which the shot came from. Still, I would like to hope it's pretty unlikely for this mod to be that widespread or to even be undetected anymore.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,680 posts
17,763 battles

Hey captain, i post a lot of dd videos and have found recording them and reviewing helps me understand circumstances a lot better....go review any games you have in question, there is usually reasons why things played out the way they did....good luck...reviewing your videos will help you see things 3rd person and you'll get better close to right away....

• Thanks 1

[--O--]
Members
994 posts
3 hours ago, Scottie_Lockhart said:

Why is it that when I play a DD and I'm in smoke with secondaries off and I'm not firing everyone hits me straight on even BB's and they ate outside my detectability range?  This had happened numerous times. I'm not a great player so just wondering. 

• 1. You sat in smoke, (((Smoke is a magnet for torps))) dont sit in smoke...
  • 2. Firing from smoke ((( Simple to hit you back, not as accurate as if you are detected but still very simple to do))) Numerous videos on it. Also using spotter planes for BB's and or using (M)- key to adjust aim on your firing guns.
  • 3. Secondaries had you targeted and continued to fire untill you were undetected, however just because you are undetected they had already fired and their is a delay in them reaching you.
  • 4. Hydro (self exploratory)
  • 5. Radar (self exploratory)
  • 6. Proximity spotting (another ship is close enough to spot you even with and island in the way (yes stupid but its wargaming logic)
  • 7. Only 1 DD to my knowledge has secondaries so that is a moot point, You do want it off because of AA detection from planes but if you are smoked flip it on, you might get a plane but turn it off when not unless under plane attack.
  • 8 RPF (yes a good player can use even this tool to shoot at you, once he/she hits you then it becomes simple to estimate your lateral vehement.)
  • 9 Friendly fire from enemy team hit you and a ship saw it and continued to fire (See number 8)

DDing aint easy or for the faint of heart but lots of fun.

[PPNA3]
Members
6 posts
2,689 battles

Don't forget..You can't go too fast in smoke. Most DD's I played, you have to be doing 1/4 speed or less not to be spotted in smoke. If you go faster, you outrun your smoke and players can see you.

also when you get spotted, the number 1 rule is to kill the dd. So if someone spots you and tells their team. Everyone and their dog will be shooting at you!

I have seen players spam smoke in hopes they get the dd by chance!

• Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,288 posts
9,988 battles
4 hours ago, Scottie_Lockhart said:

Probably what's happening is you're continuing in a more or less straight line, as you slow down to not outrun your smoke.

What the enemy is seeing, is you blinking in and out, and slowing down at a predictable rate. They know when and where you're going to stop.

You never want to sit still in smoke, unless you're sure you won't get torpedo. Even then, you want to at least move away a little before stopping.

Also, if you're dropping smoke to GTFO, try and put as many enemies behind you as quick as possible, (so you stay disappeard) and zig zag a bit.

• Thanks 1

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
22 hours ago, Scottie_Lockhart said:

There's a laundry list of possibilities... Since I am guessing you're new, the older players are taking adv of your youth and inexperience for their "fun."

If you have a replay of the crime in question... We have a plethora of forum players, willing and able to give you insight as to what happened...

With Just with the description above... More then 5 possibilities come to mind... Since we dont know what tier nor what ship... I can't properly asses what went wrong... 

In other words the autopsy is inconclusive because the events described lacked critical details..

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Thanks 1

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
298 posts
5,078 battles

Remember, once you fire your main battery your detection goes up. There is a period of time before the detection goes down again.  Just saying if you fired prior to using smoke, you detection is still higher for a moment.

If you are moving as smoke is deploying, be sure not to be moving too fast as you may be exposing yourself before the smoke puff deploys.  Depending on the ship and smoke type.

If you see a single puff of smoke, what ever used it is dead center of it.  If the smoke is moving, just imagine the center of the newest puff and bam, theres your target.  You have a decent chance of blind firing larger ships, but DD can be tricky.

Something must be factor.  I hope your figure it out. 

• Thanks 1