Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Yamato Is A Beast Again With Sniper Mode--Maybe Even Unfair To Be Honest

14 comments in this topic

[SOBA6]
Members
261 posts

I been busy grinding out new ships and farming my steel and stuff in Gold League but I stopped tonight to pull out the old Yamato for a bit of fun in Randoms. It was early morning and not much else going on so I specc'd it out with Dead Eye and Super Heavy AP cause I planned on being so far back that I wasn't gonna get set on fire lol. I took the extra 10% torpedo protection which actually helped me late in the game when I ate a few torps but they just tickled me with my 65% damage reduction. 

Farming the damage was pretty easy and managed to get 5 citadels from across the map. 224k damage done is not necessarily amazing but this is from me an average player at best. In more capable hands with better aim I'm sure you could of done 300+ easily. I did miss quite a few shots but the ones that landed were very good. Such a lazy way to play and as long as you stay behind your team your pretty safe from the CV as well. The CV has to fly his/her planes through your team first to get back to you. Otherwise he has to skirt the map and go way around so just keep that in mind while sniping. If your team starts moving east/west, just make sure you adjust your position to keep them far in front of you. Also I found that the mod from the Aslains modpack that shows the shooting range of your enemy ships was very useful. It let me know which ships could reach my position and which ones could not. For example when I would see the Vermont with the 24km range I would watch him for when he shot at me and I would simply slow down or move sideways to avoid most of his shells. Other ships who had a range of say 19km I would just ignore as they had no chance of hitting me. 

Towards the end of the game I did have to move into brawling range as my team was pretty much done for. At that point I had so many aiming at me, I just tried to pick a good target and get a few more points of damage done before I died. Overall, it's a GREAT way to farm credits and xp if your into that. I got 725,000 credits and I was only running 2 flags.(20% credits and 50% Commander xp)
If I'd of maxed out on free xp and credit flags I could of farmed easily 1.5 million credits and 3-4 times as much FXP per game. 

Lot of controversy over the Dead Eye skill and I'm not about to enter the argument but take the old Yamato who already had decent dispersion and add in skills that make it even better and you have a killing machine. Top it off with an extra 5% AP damage and you don't wanna be hit by it. Throw in the 10% extra torpedo protection and you could eat a whole wall of torps and shake it off without losing momentum. The only bad thing is that you are not a tank build so HE spam will tear you up fast but for the first half of the game you should be staying out of reach of most cruiser and DD guns. If you plan on getting in close then this build won't do you any justice. You have to be committed to staying back and get used to your team cursing you and calling you every name in the book. They will blame you for their loss cause your at full health sitting in the back as they die one by one and they will threaten to report you for playing poorly lol. 

Now get out there and have fun! Average player out...

Yamato.jpg

Yamato1.jpg

yamato2.jpg

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
195 posts
4,447 battles

Yeah...with Deadeye Yammy is unfair and overpowered...and a really relaxed/fun way to farm out credits. I really liked her a lot before the rework...now it feels like the hand of god. Extremely few ships have benefitted as much from deadeye...and...It is a really passive way to play, but you still end up with massive damage and wins far more often than not...When I'm tired and lazy, and still want to play to win...Yammy and Fuso are always pure pleasure..

Members
3,111 posts
12,478 battles

Frankly, I found both Yamato and Musashi quite capable before skill reset, and new skills did not change all that much.  I played around with deadeye and super heavy skills, but found those rather situational at best.  The only ship where I actually use deadeye is Thunderer, because Yamato and Musashi are still capable mid to close range BBs in the end game, while Thunderer always prefers to stay at range.

[TSF]
Members
372 posts
13,999 battles

I dusted off my Yammy to try her with the skills rework, specifically Deadeye.

Went from ~ 80% overpen without deadeye, to ~90% overpen with Deadeye.

Back on the shelf she goes.  

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
195 posts
4,447 battles

Deadeye might not always be up...but its always worth taking...just look at the difference in the dispersion when it is or isn't...I just shake my head when people say they cant tell the difference with deadeye or dazzle up...what!? really!?

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,404 posts
10,628 battles

Funny story: Slava and T8-T10 soviet BBs performed with a built-in super-deadeye for a year + prior to this change. Now all other BBs have something similar yet less potent which works under highly specific circumstances not just 'cross into X range of target'. Where was the outrage then?

Yamato with 10% additional dispersion reduction STILL has monstrous vertical dispersion. You still see more than half the shells routinely splash short and long and you still see overpen gallore (deadeye does not change that). You still have a roll the dice chance to bow pen a ship at medium to close range given Yamato's accuracy table flushes itself down the toilet the closer the range gets. 

In the video above my post you can see in minute 4:00 how he fires on a 16km away, slowly backing up kurfurst that is almost perfectly broadside, aims at the the center of ship slightly above waterline... and out of the 9 yamato shells fired only 4 hit with 2 pens and 2 overpens...the remaining 5 fell short and long (flew OVER the superstructure..at that range where yamato shells dont have such a high arc!). The shells DID all fall in a nicely packed horizontal area though but vertical? half were thrown off. Dead-eye does not improve Yamato accuracy because its vertical is garbage to begin with. 

Vermont and Thunderer are the only non-soviet ship that shows noticeable improvement ... because they were to begin with, much better at accuracy at long range and Vermont's 12 barrels boost up its hit rate (plus USN isn't hate-coded with massive vertical dispersion). 

Now go put up a film of SLAVA with dead-eye. Or funnier yet, Kremlin with dead-eye. Slava becomes pixel accurate at max range with it and Kremlin becomes quite a 20km sniper with it given its horizontal almost matches Yamato's at 20km and its vertical is very narrow at all ranges. These are the ships dead-eye was designed to improve, not any other. You will soon see a nerf to thunderer and vermont to prevent any challenge to soviet fantasy navy supremacy. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,633 posts
25,666 battles
3 hours ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Deadeye Musashi is great Too. 

I'm sure the Tier VII Battleships love that LOL

[BEA5T]
Members
542 posts
17,071 battles

For stuff and giggles I ventured out a few times into COOP with both Capt skills enabled to sit in the rear firing away and found out rather quickly Dead eye will not work in COOP.   I say this unlike randoms the Bots aggressively head towards which ever zone they are in front of which means your window of opportunity is extremely narrow.    Now the the super heavy AP does wonders but you will pay a heavy price.  The bots are already notorious for their ability to start fires from way beyond yonder ( I now suspect they must have that Capt skill) so add that 30% penalty and I tell you will be agonizing why are they picking on you.     So basics of survivabilty is a required skill to have enabled  if you use enable Super heavy AP.  ( for those in COOP). 

Now the times I did quite well... but I know a couple of times ... there were not too many breathing players left around  ( red Bots winning or had way more left alive) when I had to switch from snipe mode\ in the back of the pack  to oh stuffings I better get busy and play for real.

Edited by Noworriesderpy1

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,404 posts
10,628 battles

super heavy ap only shows dividends if you landing citadels consistently and have a means of waiving the penalty. Only one ship line at tier 10 has that ability. Guess which.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,633 posts
25,666 battles
5 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

super heavy ap only shows dividends if you landing citadels consistently and have a means of waiving the penalty. Only one ship line at tier 10 has that ability. Guess which.

Republique?

Weekly Stats NA Server, 1-30-2021, Tech Tree Tier X BB Damage Averages

Yamato 89,131

GK 69,105

Republique 91,477

Conqueror 106,927 (Fire Damage)

Kremlin 78,210

Montana 75,645

Vermont 86,448

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,404 posts
10,628 battles
39 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Republique?

Weekly Stats NA Server, 1-30-2021, Tech Tree Tier X BB Damage Averages

Yamato 89,131

GK 69,105

Republique 91,477

Conqueror 106,927 (Fire Damage)

Kremlin 78,210

Montana 75,645

Vermont 86,448

oh brilliant, total numbers obviously provide the answer to the stated question. You should apply to work at WG!

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,633 posts
25,666 battles
34 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

oh brilliant, total numbers obviously provide the answer to the stated question. You should apply to work at WG!

Numbers are great especially if it totally refutes what one was insinuating.

Sign in to follow this