You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Angry YouTuber Review of the New Destroyer Skills

170 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
256 posts
10,386 battles

I posted this in another thread. The main point of why I do not like this rework is that for lower level DD captains (which I have a lot of) you now need a 12 pointer for in my opinion a payable DD. Where as before this could be accomplished with a 10 pointer.  Who knows I am probably way off base here and should just stick to playing cruisers. Yep I am one of those guys that need PT. Thanks so much for taking the time to get these valuable reviews out to us. 

+1,000,0000. Sorry I don't have one of those awesome gifs of the green up arrows :Smile_smile:

5.jpg.6a2a7d1bd727ee109a9f1fd37005341d.jpg

Edited by JBR40
  • Thanks 1

[BUOY]
Members
1,197 posts
16,066 battles

Good analysis as always. 'Fearless Brawler' should be renamed 'The Double Rudder Heal Kabarovsk Skill' since even French DD's will want some sneakabilty.

[O7]
Supertester
387 posts
13,155 battles

Remember it's more important to understand the purpose of the skill than it's overall rating. Some ships don't take overpowered skills and others take garbage skills as it suits their playstyle more. 

For example most DDs in Clan Battles will take Dazzling as it significantly mitigates the burst damage when focus fired under radar. Anshan and Leningrad captains may also take Grease the Gears as it helps offset their turret traverse.

Also, Liquidator just multiplies torp flood chance by 1.3x. Practically speaking, it ends up being a ~10-20% increased chance to flood through the TDS. Better taken on any non-IJN DDs going torp build. 

Also, I'd consider Consumables Expert a garbage skill. It's rare to use any of those skills constantly off of cd, defeating the point of reducing the reload time for these niche skills anyways. 

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,352 posts
10,403 battles

First, I agree with your comments, for whatever that is worth.....

Secondly, in selecting skills I laughed as to the concept of "diverse builds" and that the first four selections are so obviously that these consume 10 out of a a maximum of 21 points and also was thinking that I know LWM will be specifically commenting on this. Obviously every DD Captain out there will be taking the ones you noted, limiting us to nibble around the edges with a few remaining selections. I also take (I think on all) the Argus Eye and Adrenaline Rush (I remember when it was also referred to as "Rage" by one person) leaving only, at most, the selection of a total of 6 points. That is NOT leading to "diverse builds".

Thanks, as always, for your insights....

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
4 minutes ago, DJC_499 said:

and that the first four selections are so obviously that these consume 10 out of a a maximum of 21

You were taking them as mandatory in the 19 point world too, believe it or not - the only debate was whether you took PM and relied on your wits or PT and accepted an increased risk of stuff breaking.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,352 posts
10,403 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You were taking them as mandatory in the 19 point world too, believe it or not - the only debate was whether you took PM and relied on your wits or PT and accepted an increased risk of stuff breaking.

Exactly!!! And how is this fact contributing to "new, exciting, and diverse builds" that were continually emphasized during this rollout?

[KWF]
Members
5,623 posts
6,924 battles

So wait, cookie cutter builds are still pretty much the norm? Shocked I say, shocked!! :fish_boom:

Would just like to add that Fearless Brawler is a pretty decent skill as long as you don't mind playing selfishly in open water gunboats. I can also imagine ships like Smaland may be even better at murdering the DD opposition. 

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,244 posts
12,113 battles

Thank you LWM great work as usual looking forward to your BB skill review +1 .

Edited by clammboy

[-ARM-]
Members
60 posts
6,311 battles

Is there a concise article regarding game designed torpedo flooding chances?  Might be helpful for decisions about the Liquidator skill.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
1 hour ago, DJC_499 said:

Exactly!!! And how is this fact contributing to "new, exciting, and diverse builds" that were continually emphasized during this rollout?

We've never had situational skills before.

We've also never before had a system whereby we could train on premium ships of a different and potentially incompatible type without losing optimization. 

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
264 posts
4,276 battles

Thank you for your hard work, Miss Mouse! A voice of reason as always and greatly appreciated. 

[WOLFG]
Members
32,044 posts
9,926 battles

To be fair, I don't think you'd ever get a skill system where your first four skills would be variable, simply because those will be the most universally important.

Where the diversity begins, is after that.

Having said that, I don't think the DD skills offer any more diversity than previous. Had they simply added the new skills to the existing ones, and then balanced the lot, it would have been an improvement.

[ARC]
Members
1,066 posts
11,415 battles

Destroyers were never using cookie-cutter builds. Sure, you used the same 10-point skills, but after that the variety of builds were rather good. And the rework hasn't changed that, you can still choose how to build your DESTROYER. I decided to capitalize it to show that I know cruiser and battleships probably have a cookie-cutter build already and the "diverse builds" promoted by WG is iffy to say the least, but it is true in the Destroyers section.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,044 posts
9,926 battles
3 hours ago, JBR40 said:

I posted this in another thread. The main point of why I do not like this rework is that for lower level DD captains (which I have a lot of) you now need a 12 pointer for in my opinion a payable DD. Where as before this could be accomplished with a 10 pointer. 

IMO, they should address this.

One way would be to, instead of requiring the first four skills to be taken in order of ascending cost, keep it so that in the first 10 points, you need one skill from each tier, but don't enforce an order.

This would allow, for example, a 6-point captain (in any ship type) to have CE and PT.

• Cool 1

[NAVAL]
[NAVAL]
Members
238 posts
13,727 battles

i have been watching CC's on twich, and no one has anything good to say about the new skills... it echoes the forum. Gameplay is terrible since the update, no one likes it. All we got out of community time with happa is "the devs will look at it and see if any tweaks need made" i was really disappointed there was no statement, no intent going forward, just your standard "they'll check the spreadsheet" pretty much. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,864 posts
12,947 battles

Thank you for sharing this, @LittleWhiteMouse.

Personally, I'm not happy with the skills rebork.

I'm one of "those guys" who put Last Stand on everything, including most of my CV's (because being 'dead-in-the-water' is not acceptable).  Can't do that anymore.

The capabilities have become more expensive to achieve (in skill points), or impossible to obtain (for a given ship type).  This restricts the "diversity of builds", despite there being more points theoretically available.

Priority Target?  I'm one of "those guys" who *knows* that every ship that can see me is targeting me.  I don't need to waste skill points on confirmation.  
And a study of torpedo attack methods and evasion techniques helps avoid being hit by torpedoes.  It doesn't eliminate being hit, just improves one's odds of dodging when maintaining situational awareness.
This is useful if one is crazy enough to chase DD's with a Battleship. 
For example, find them while they hide in a smokescreen by sailing up close and proximity detecting them.  Yeah, I do stuff like that all too often, for better or for worse.

Am I putting down Miss Mouse's work?  Heck no.  Her work is valued by all players worth their salt.

The details regarding the variable flood chances are most welcome information.

Again, thank you, @LittleWhiteMouse.  Your existence is a boon to the universe.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,864 posts
12,947 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

IMO, they should address this.

One way would be to, instead of requiring the first four skills to be taken in order of ascending cost, keep it so that in the first 10 points, you need one skill from each tier, but don't enforce an order.

This would allow, for example, a 6-point captain (in any ship type) to have CE and PT.

To piggy-back off of what you wrote.

I figure the cost of the skills should be listed, but the Captain can take any skill they can afford, without having to unlock a tier of skills by taking a lower tier of skills first.

Have 6 skill points?
Take Concealment Expert (4 points) and Last Stand (2 points) for a total of 6 points.
Take other skills as one can afford them, later.  
This way a low-point Commander can still play without hindering their survival too much.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

As noted elsewhere, Grease The Gears needs to be a percentage reduction of traverse time, not a percentage increase of traverse rate. 

That way, the ships with the turrets that take the longest to traverse, the ships that need the most help, would get the most help. 

• Cool 4

[Y0L0W]
Members
333 posts
8,878 battles
1 hour ago, lightspeed2131 said:

Is there a concise article regarding game designed torpedo flooding chances?  Might be helpful for decisions about the Liquidator skill.

Skip to 3:10 to learn about the actual calculation.

Edited by SirPent13
  • Thanks 2

[EQRN]
Members
2,201 posts
19,595 battles

Disagree with the BFT replacement being gudskill, it needs to be 10% or a two point cost.  I was going to avoid AR in my builds that had BFT, but the nerf to BFT makes AR at 3 points much easier to swallow.

Members
3,111 posts
12,478 battles

Looking forward to other ship classes.  After some fiddling around with new skills I simply select recommended skills and call it a day, having 21 skill commanders on all the favorite ships by now.  I had enough 19 pointers to upgrade 7 commanders of different nations to 21 points, so I have one for US, U.K., Japan, Germany, Russia, Italy, and France.  It helps that most of the ships I play, aside from T10, are premiums, so in effect I can play seven T10s with full skill set with pretty much every premium for those seven nations.  Different premiums of same class do call for different skill sets sometimes, so these sort of break downs are very useful to find middle ground, until specialized commanders can be skilled up.

Edited by Ramsalot

[GRETA]
Members
468 posts
16,709 battles

LWM, Well done again. 

You are posting this very early or very late.   Either way I know how it is when you have something keeping you awake so you may as well "do something."

Take care.