You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Horsie_ships

What T8 Premium Should I Get?

Help me pick!  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which Ship?

• Atago
    • Bayard
    • Cossack
    • Kidd
    • Loyang
    • Mainz
    • Massachusetts
    • Orkan

17 comments in this topic

[WHS]
Members
37 posts
5,896 battles

I've finally hoarded enough doubloons. Since T8 premiums aren't for coal/steel in the armory and my supercontainer luck is garbage, I have none. I'm looking to get one ship, for something that I wouldn't mind frequently bringing into battles, and something that is relatively unique and not too similar to something in a tech tree line. I enjoy cruisers and destroyers the most, and I'm not really interested in getting a CV.

Strong candidates:

Mainz - I did enjoy Nurnberg, and apparently I'm the #2 on Nurnberg on NA

Cossack - I did enjoy the RN DD line, including Lightning

Massachusetts - I personally find BBs (not all) boring, but I do enjoy Georgia (not totally similar, but somewhat close), and yes, I know it's leaving the armory. I guess try and slightly bias yourself away from this option, since Massa is extremely popular and will probably get the most votes anyways, but if you really think this is the best for me go ahead and recommend it.

Other potential candidates:

Atago, Bayard, Kidd, Orkan, Loyang

Let me know your reason!

Edited by Horsie_ships

[SHRKE]
Members
69 posts
1,632 battles

I'd say Massachusetts since it's about to be removed.  I have it, Alaska, Georgia, Belfast, Enterprise, Fujin and Konig Albert I don't have to worry about them if I want them.  None where bought for being strong ships. Fujin and Konig Albert when I was new to the game and got some low tier premiums, Belfast when it came out because an Irish thing and Enterprise was my favorite CV as a kid and said if they ever made it I'd buy it.  At times I think how a few times I thought of getting Kutuzov but never did.  Now if I want it I have to gamble with loot boxes, which I'm not in the mood to do.  

Edited by Saydzhi

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,621 posts

Of those, Mass.  It's popular for a reason.

If you don't want the answer to be Mass because BBs are not your thing, that's cool, but you need to remove it as an option.

[WHS]
Members
37 posts
5,896 battles
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Of those, Mass.  It's popular for a reason.

If you don't want the answer to be Mass because BBs are not your thing, that's cool, but you need to remove it as an option.

It's not so much that I don't want the answer to be mass, but more like I want to see what people think about the other ships as well. Thanks for the input though!

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,330 posts
16,917 battles

Mainz should be your go to ship

1- You advancing on the German cruiser line, you already enjoy the previous tier .... Mainz will be the same, but you will be facing t10

2- Not much different in play style

3- Training vessel for your Captain

4- Very nice reward when you get a win against higher tier

regards,

[VIKNG]
Beta Testers
405 posts
9,832 battles

Massa, since it's going to be removed, but since you liked the Nuremberg, I could see you also liking the Mainz. She is imo the best  available tier8 premium cruiser.

Hope this helps. :cap_cool:

[KIVA]
Members
154 posts

Cossack, Kidd, Orkan- these DDs have more than a few things in common. They're all primarily gunboats, but with different handling, vision control, and utilities. All three have only a single rack of torps.

Kidd is pretty fast, reasonably agile, and has very comfy gun handling with good arcs, fast turrets, and larger guns (127mm vs 120mm). She has great smoke and heals, but no detection consumables, and fairly decent AA. Punchiest and mostest (5 tubes vs 4), but slowest-loading and least flexible torps. Makes a great battle-buddy if you have a friend who can take advantage of the smoke or AA.

Orkan lacks smoke and is slower than the other two, but gets radar she can use from stealth, a full battery of 360-degree turrets, and heal. Forgettable AA. Torps load quicker but they hit like nerf darts. Great for chasing enemy DDs out of caps and being a general nuisance, but can't really throw down with larger ships the way Cossack can.

Cossack has the best alpha with the most guns, the shortest detection range, and those sweet single-fire RN torps. She can bully DDs and rain fire on larger ships... but on the other hand, she has no heal, her hydro is really only good for self-defense, and her AA is about as effective as a sternly worded letter mailed post-mortem to the wrong address.

If you already enjoy RN DDs, get Cossack; it's a no-brainer. Otherwise, it's down to what utilities you prefer to carry on your Batman belt.

Edited by Wrath_Of_Deadguy

[WKY04]
Members
3,860 posts
24,493 battles

None of these ships is a bad choice. If you just want an overpowered ship, get Massachusetts. It appears to have been detuned from OP to very strong. 

Mainz is quite strong as a DPM spammer; its also a touch more durable than most CLs since its on a sort-of Hipper hull. Bayard is likewise a DPM dispenser.

Atago has been an interesting and pretty solid premium since the game went live, although now its AA is quite deficient. As it was gradually powercrept, it gained a heal a couple of years ago. The heal only partly mitigates that it has a city block - sized citadel. 

The above post covers my other choices, Cossack and Kidd. 

Edited by Pugilistic

[DVYJC]
Members
3,809 posts
9,445 battles

I think all those ships except Orkan are solid picks. I love all the Tier VIII premium DDs you listed, but surprisingly Loyang is probably my favorite. Not a great torpedo boat or a great gunboat, but oh so satisfying when you pull off some great hijinks with the manly man 6.7 km torpedoes. I had a Tier X game on Friday where I was clearing Naval Battles for my clan - snuck up on one flank from the unattended mid and made three devstrikes in as many minutes - killed a Des Moines who was backing up around an island focusing on bow-tanking that flank, reloaded my tubes, came around the island and blapped a Vladivostok from 3 km away and half health, then volleyed my second rack at a Bismarck and Hsienyang trying to sail around each other and got the Hsienyang before Bismarck finished me.

Really like that ship.

That being said, as a destroyer main, Massachusetts is still absurdly fun and is such a good ship that the overall answer to your question is still Massachusetts.

[WOLF3]
Members
29,581 posts
25,666 battles

Georgia is nothing at all like Massachusetts, and the nerf to Secondaries IMO, hurt Massachusetts a lot.  Mass' claim to fame are her secondaries.  Outside that the main battery isn't all that good.  You're better off with NC, Alabama in terms of USN BB main batteries in this tier.  IMO, Mass is overrated today and her reputation is still due to how she was before the Skill Rebork, before the nerf to Secondaries, and most of all, BEFORE the arrival of Dead Eye Battleships.

Georgia?  She's way more rounded than Massachusetts and if forced to live and die by her guns alone, she's fine in that regard.  Strong, albeit few guns.  Accurate and fast firing.  Georgia is flexible for either secondary or main battery builds, thanks to her Slot 6 upgrade access and gimmicks.  Options that Mass will not have.

I'd say Mainz is up your alley, OP.   The German 150mm guns are the best CL guns in the game and Mainz has 12 of them with a range of 17.52km.  She's more robust than the mid tier German CLs you played but do understand you aren't as agile, either.  Her gun range is respectable.  You're already progressing up the German Cruiser Line.  Fun thing with German CAs and CLs is they want the same skills.  Mainz can be an effective trainer for your German Cruiser Captain(s) and not skip a beat for any of such ships you own.

Bayard has more traditional CL guns, no HE Pen gimmicks like Mainz does.  She traditionally has done well in Dmg Averages.  Where Mainz is better armored but isn't as agile, Bayard is the reverse, she's fast, agile, but she has a big citadel and her protection is suspect.  Bayard's range 16.44km, so not as long ranged as Mainz.  But she is a lot sneakier.  She has Engine Boost and MBRB consumable access.  Understand that as a CL with normal guns, she tends to be pretty hungry on captain points.

Atago in this day and age of the game and the Skill Rebork, alongside Dead Eye BBs... That 15.7km gun range is mighty short these days.  She's still super sneaky and has Repair Party, something even Mainz lacks.  But that mediocre 15.7km gun range with today's threats in PVP looks mighty damn risky for a High Tier Cruiser.  She's a solid Cruiser but man... That gun range is not good in today's game.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[--K--]
Supertester
1,447 posts
13,891 battles

I voted before reading all the posts. I'd recommend Mass anyway because I don't think you'll be seeing it come back aside from gambling. 

Runners up Cossack and Mainz because they are incredibly strong and don't require any capt changes. 

[WHS]
Members
37 posts
5,896 battles

Thanks for the responses, everyone. At this point it looks like it's between Massachusetts and Mainz, one possibility could be to get Massa first since it's leaving, then save up more doubloons and get Mainz later.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,781 posts
15 hours ago, Horsie_ships said:

Let me know your reason!

timing is bad.,..  we all will say Mass as it is leaving...

Members
36 posts
6,302 battles
15 hours ago, Horsie_ships said:

I basically agree with RainbowFartingUnicorn.

The Loyang is an extremely fun jack-of-all-trades DD.  It is in fact my favorite boat overall.

But get the Massachusetts.

[WOSDS]
[WOSDS]
Members
119 posts
15,212 battles

I have Cossack, love it but it is a two edged sword. No CV = fun and engaging challenge and can very much contribute to victory. With CV a target pinata once spotted if the CV wants you dead you are dead!

Atago was my go to cruiser before the dead eye. Having a CV in the game was a nuisance and like anything if they want you dead you are dead. In saying this staying near ships with good AA (if there is such a thing) and using your good concealment to support attacks or better yet, fall back fighting (kiting) can be a genuinely enjoyable experience. Since dead eye, Atago just disintegrates far to often to say it is still enjoyable, rather it is a little more nerve racking.

Personal I would say don't waste your hard earned on this game as the developers have proven they do not honor what they sell. Wide ranging changes have made purchases a lucky dip, take the Massachusetts as an example. Bought for its powerful secondaries when surprise surprise bait and switch!

Since you already have the doubloons good luck on your choice.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,781 posts
53 minutes ago, Targeted said:

I have Cossack, love it but it is a two edged sword. No CV = fun and engaging challenge and can very much contribute to victory. With CV a target pinata once spotted if the CV wants you dead you are dead!

Atago was my go to cruiser before the dead eye. Having a CV in the game was a nuisance and like anything if they want you dead you are dead. In saying this staying near ships with good AA (if there is such a thing) and using your good concealment to support attacks or better yet, fall back fighting (kiting) can be a genuinely enjoyable experience. Since dead eye, Atago just disintegrates far to often to say it is still enjoyable, rather it is a little more nerve racking.

Personal I would say don't waste your hard earned on this game as the developers have proven they do not honor what they sell. Wide ranging changes have made purchases a lucky dip, take the Massachusetts as an example. Bought for its powerful secondaries when surprise surprise bait and switch!

Since you already have the doubloons good luck on your choice.

I bought the mass a couple weeks before the rework, and its still fun, but I don't have 19+ pt captains to run on it anyways.