Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Player_7629970598

Minnesota Secondary Build

6 comments in this topic

Members
109 posts
7,960 battles

Hello, I decided to experiment with Minnesota and a secondary build.  Before everyone dismisses me with an eye roll about efficiency or usefulness, I would respond with fun.  I am trying to find out if the Minnesota can be a fun ship to play with a secondary build and maybe score a few tips to improve on this idea. My build is for modules : MAM1, DCSM1, SBM1, DCSM2, CSM1, and MBM3.  I am using an 18 pt Halsey captain.  His skills are: PM, Pyro, Grease gears, Long Range Secondary shells, AR,  Improved Secondary Aiming, and Close quarters combat.  So far it has been an interesting experiment.  I have not really noticed the absence of Dead Eye. Maybe I am a poor shot.  The biggest difference is not having the tanking skills and catching fire more often.   My secondary range is 10.5 KM with flag and a 5.1 second reload.  If I am shooting at a BB or CA my secondary guns hit, shooting at a DD is not as effective.  I have found a secondary build helpful when ships are chasing me down.  Lately, I snipe for awhile then later in the game close in to use secondary weapons on  weakened enemies.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,750 posts
4,272 battles

I'm just curious how on earth you get in secondary range with MN? Because you're not catching up to anything, and I'd imagine you just get burned to the waterline as you slowly try to advance into range.

• Cool 1

Members
109 posts
7,960 battles

Try running away from ships when a flank collapses.  Today a Georgia caught me and I got some fire and good damage before he was killed  by teammates .They get in range quickly.  Also advancing on caps late in game ships come to you.  I still hang 12-18 Km to shoot early in game then close in late.

[LOIN]
Supertester
851 posts

Not sure why you want to turn Minnesota into a secondary build. These following problems arise in this idea. 

1. Top speed is 23 knots, with Sierra Mike it's 24. It's way too slow. You get that close to use secondaries, you're guaranteed to die.

2. It's armor is squishy and not suited for the build. 

3. Has fewer secondary guns than Georgia and Ohio. 

4. Slower rate of fire, for its secondary guns and lack range. 

Really there's much better builds for Minnesota than a secondary build. Actually I'd argue say there's much more fun and better tier 9s to use than Minnesota. Minnesota is made for long range engagements, and for support (though the support is questionable). I will keep saying this she's a liability to the team than being an asset. You have really keep a cruiser behind the lines and close to Minnesota to protect it from CVs otherwise it's doomed more of a liability.

Members
109 posts
7,960 battles

I did not state it was a good idea.  LOL   I guess I wish if WG was going to keep the slow speed it could be a floating fortress.  I really want to find a reason to like these chonky ships.  I have the Vermont and am running a standard deadeye build with an 18 pt captain. I put my Secondary captain on my Georgia.

Sign in to follow this