Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Furia__

Can we talk about the DD cheese in clan brawls?

19 comments in this topic

[MX]
Members
38 posts

Seems like most clans are running a 4 to 5 DD main composition? with an emphasis on premium destroyers. 

Everyone else see this? I personally don't find this enjoyable and stopped playing clan brawls this running season. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,619 posts

Did you want to not try their best to win?

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,295 posts
8,554 battles

Tier 8 competitive has always been very DD centric, and Arms Race just makes it even more so.

[VFW]
Members
1,483 posts
31,030 battles

Having good a cruiser player(s) easily counters this...but the problem is having a "good" cruiser player.

vr, 

[--K--]
Supertester
1,445 posts
13,891 battles
55 minutes ago, TexJapan said:

Having good a cruiser player(s) easily counters this...but the problem is having a "good" cruiser player.

vr, 

Gg earlier, forgot to say hi. 

Our lineups have mainly being 3 dds, 2 cruisers and 2 BBs. 

[OO7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
232 posts
9,856 battles

I've been running with a group on 2 BBs, 1 cruiser, and 4 DDs.  first day we didn't run a cruiser for most of the time.  Random assorted hodgepodge of boats people are comfortable in, nothing minmaxed at all.  couple gunboats, couple utility DD's.  The gunboats out-trade the radar cruisers so badly in 1 on 1s cause the cruisers don't have heals, hence why its always DD centric when not limited.  

It doesn't really matter how good a cruiser player is, your best balti player will always lose to a same tier player in a fantasque or Terrible or Kiev, even Aki.  I say this as a modestly good cruiser CB player myself.  

[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,106 posts
3,002 battles

I been saying for a long time... DD"s are the most overpowered, forgiving, and blatantly overloaded ship classes in the game, while being the most laughably easy to abuse, and make gains in...

The fact Clans run primarily DD's for years now.. is quite obvious why... Nobody would run CV's if CV's didn't give cheat level awareness and fast spotting. CV's are garbage for everything else, but become broken because of that 1 thing. Simply being an afk spotter. 

Everything else is there for situational crap to cover minor holes. You need at least 1 BB to coutner the enemy cruisers, as cruisers are the only real problem DD's have (and even then not really if you simply outnumber the cruiser), but to minimize damage and losses, let the BB B slap the cruiser once, and its gg. BB's job done.. Now the cruisers can continue yoloing, and auto winning against everything simply because it exists.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 3

[VOLT]
Beta Testers
90 posts
16,903 battles
2 hours ago, Lady_Athena said:

I been saying for a long time... DD"s are the most overpowered, forgiving, and blatantly overloaded ship classes in the game, while being the most laughably easy to abuse, and make gains in...

The fact Clans run primarily DD's for years now.. is quite obvious why... Nobody would run CV's if CV's didn't give cheat level awareness and fast spotting. CV's are garbage for everything else, but become broken because of that 1 thing. Simply being an afk spotter. 

Everything else is there for situational crap to cover minor holes. You need at least 1 BB to coutner the enemy cruisers, as cruisers are the only real problem DD's have (and even then not really if you simply outnumber the cruiser), but to minimize damage and losses, let the BB B slap the cruiser once, and its gg. BB's job done.. Now the cruisers can continue yoloing, and auto winning against everything simply because it exists. 

I am sorry, I do not agree with this.  But somehow this should explain why DD's with all their spotting and capping bases still on average get one half the damage of cruisers and on average one third the damage of battleships and always have. Basically they are just about unplayable at this time with over 20 islands on every map so you can not get your torps off without hitting an island, the radar that conveniently goes though mountains and for the most part has a longer range than your torps, the aircraft, the hydro, making yourself spotted as if you radar yourself if you shoot your own guns, not to mention 12km secondaries on BB's. Your right, everyone should play DD's. It is so fun and engaging. Nothing to it.

When I talk about DD's it is at T10 for the most part not down with the seal clubbers.

At T10 everyone gets pounded by CV's, they are no joke.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[O7]
Supertester
386 posts
13,133 battles
2 hours ago, Lady_Athena said:

Cruisers have dominated for the majority of CB seasons including the 3 most recent seasons. DDs only "dominated" 3 seasons out of 11 seasons. 2 of them were Kleber spam and 1 was at T8. The Kleber spam seasons shouldn't even count as the vast majority of teams ran traditional 1 DD/ 2 DD comps. 

In all other CB seasons, cruisers were easily the most used ship type with teams running 1/2 DDs for spotting. 

T8 comp sees more DDs because cruisers are relatively weak due to lack of heal or firepower. Le Terrible and Kiev can easily beat other T8 cruisers in a fight. Why bring a cruiser then when a DD does everything you can do but better?

Also, CVs are also OP when dealing damage to ships. They are broken in competitive because they are extremely effective at both killing and spotting ships. 

• Cool 4

[VFW]
Members
1,483 posts
31,030 battles
6 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Gg earlier, forgot to say hi. 

Our lineups have mainly being 3 dds, 2 cruisers and 2 BBs. 

Gandalf,

Your CB team did great.  Was kept spotted due to you and your DDs flanking to keep spotting going, very nice and well played.  One of our DDs overextend too early and was crushed, after that you guys pushed us back.

vr, 

• Cool 1

[ROXY]
Members
380 posts
1,256 battles
13 hours ago, Furia__ said:

Seems like most clans are running a 4 to 5 DD main composition? with an emphasis on premium destroyers. 

Everyone else see this? I personally don't find this enjoyable and stopped playing clan brawls this running season. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.f8f638caf36f8d9c1ce3801ee67a7f94.PNG

What we run is Massachusetts, Alabama, Kidd, three Le Fantasque, and a Le Terrible. (or lineups similar)

If you look at most tier VIII cruisers they do not have the speed, concealment, or even DPM of same tier DDs (And even does not have a citadel). The French DDs take somewhat of a role of a cruiser, but act at the same time as a cruiser. They sport the same (if not close) DPM of their cruiser counterparts. At the same time having access to speed boost and low profile. Making them more durable under fire. Sure CA have better armor, but 20mm-30mm of armor doesn't cut it whereas if you negate most or all damage with speed.

The four French DDs work in "packs" where they rush "caps" (arms race kind) catching the enemy DDs off guard and quickly eliminating them before they have time to react or gain support. Thus letting their flank collapse. The Kidd's role is to provide "tanking" at the same time, when given the right moment, will smoke a large area and let the French DDs come through and HE spam their targets while their targets have 0 vision of the enemy team. At range combat, most CA will have a difficult time hitting the French DDs because of the swiftness and on top of that most tier VIII CA guns are low velocity.

Since there's no CVs present, and arms race - this strategy is more effective than running two BBs, 4 CA, and 1 regular DD.

At tier X you might see a little bit more CA's, but you need to form a plan and select the right ships to carry out the plan.

Edited by ___Sakura
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

[MX]
Members
38 posts

I agree that most t8 cruisers do not have the DPM to counter this. Not to mention that light cruisers will get murdered by one BB that takes you out of position. This fact is compounded by the french DD speed, when one gets into trouble he just bolts out of range.

The comp similar to what Yikes posts above is what is killing it. People are just foregoing cruisers.

As much as I don't like CV's in CW they do counter this type of play and comp...

Edited by Furia__
  • Cool 1

[HAIFU]
Members
12 posts
9,996 battles

I've found Le terrible super enjoyable in this clan brawl, primarily because of what other players here have said about cruisers. The traditional counters to french DDs - high dpm and shell velocity cruisers as well as CVs really aren't effective or just aren't present at all at T8. Cruisers have no heal and get super hard punished by battleships at tier, and none of the destroyers really stand a chance against my reload booster. So basically I get to be this rampaging gun platform zooming around at 55 knots shooting and torping all the time - which is the ideal french gameplay. Really the only thing that stops me is being severely outnumbered and outspotted at the same time. 

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,797 posts
2,658 battles
6 hours ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

Cruisers have dominated for the majority of CB seasons including the 3 most recent seasons. DDs only "dominated" 3 seasons out of 11 seasons. 2 of them were Kleber spam and 1 was at T8. The Kleber spam seasons shouldn't even count as the vast majority of teams ran traditional 1 DD/ 2 DD comps. 

In all other CB seasons, cruisers were easily the most used ship type with teams running 1/2 DDs for spotting. 

T8 comp sees more DDs because cruisers are relatively weak due to lack of heal or firepower. Le Terrible and Kiev can easily beat other T8 cruisers in a fight. Why bring a cruiser then when a DD does everything you can do but better?

Also, CVs are also OP when dealing damage to ships. They are broken in competitive because they are extremely effective at both killing and spotting ships. 

You're wasting your time.  Lady Athena is a strong proponent of "Alternative facts".

[HEROS]
Members
2,072 posts
18,754 battles

I drive a HSF Harekaze... At this point I think I well have more matches in that ship as I climb toward a 20,000 life time fights than any other ship in my port view.  I may have just picked up a bit of this and that along the way over the past 6 years of which I have had this ship for 3 years.  I find myself decidedly unsympathetic. Your not a victim of DD's, your a victim of fashion.   And DD's are strong this season because they have a lot of utility.  My several year old premium DD faces a great deal of competition out there in the form of much newer premium cruisers, battleships and destroyers.  Even the tech tree ships well handled are no joke and I'm out there in the DD with the smallest HP pool of the tier and the only thing I have really going for me is it's very stealthy and has excellent guns and can choose to dispense with smoke to be able to put even more torpedo's in the water.  I have to use every clever trick I have ever learned to help my team win.  And lets be clear, winning is a team effort.   You get to many cowboys on your team your not going to do well and that is that.   It really doesn't matter what ships they are in.  And for every match with maximum number of DD's you'll have matches with only one.  Deal with it will you, the rest of us do.  Ranked or Clan.. it's the same in either.

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

[WOLFG]
Members
11,589 posts
10,709 battles

When the cat is away, the mice will play, especially down tier where as has been noted, cruisers aren't as good in comparison to DDs.

Sign in to follow this