You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

where do we go from here

26 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles

I doubt if David Essex was singing about WoWs but this is the question I have for WG.

Ships engaging in large battles ended with WW2. There were better & more effective ways to conduct war.

I have seen a few asking about guided missiles but adding those would change the game.

Once submarines are part of the game, what next?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,647 posts
21,624 battles

I hear you but I'm not really here!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[NONE]
Members
3,758 posts
19 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I doubt if David Essex was singing about WoWs but this is the question I have for WG.

Ships engaging in large battles ended with WW2. There were better & more effective ways to conduct war.

I have seen a few asking about guided missiles but adding those would change the game.

I don't care. This isn't a simulator, it's a shooty-botes arcade. Nothing in history, technology, or current tactical doctrine has any bearing on it, except for very loosely-connected creative inspiration. They could put in sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads and it wouldn't be much more unrealistic than it is now.

Edited by Balon_Greyjoy
  • Cool 4
  • Haha 1

Members
658 posts
5,327 battles
3 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

new russian cruiser line

• Haha 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,840 posts
9,859 battles
9 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

new russian cruiser line

Can't be, that would have a citadel above water...:Smile_trollface:

Beta Testers
3,285 posts
26,944 battles
47 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Atomic subs after reg Subs ????

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles

I don't care. This isn't a simulator, it's a shooty-botes arcade.              except for very loosely-connected creative inspiration

If you don't care, why did you reply?

I did not even come close to hinting this game was anywhere close to a simulator. Why did you feel the need to include this comment?

The question is is WG planning to turn this into a game for pre to early teens rather than the present player base?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[KWF]
Members
5,541 posts
6,848 battles

I would like at least in some special mode to have access to some of the smaller ships like corvettes and DEs. Subs could fit in there too as well. 

That said, I think there was a closed test a few years back on guided missiles with pretty broken results. If memory serves Neustrashimy was to be the basis for a RU DD line using said munitions. Of course nothing of the sort happened.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,218 posts
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

You left out China and a few other Navies able to put many into the water. The Iranians did a massed move of almost 1000 speed boats. If all of them attacked a 16 ship USN Carrier Task Force today most of them will probably be destroyed but the Carrier will be mission killed at a minimum. It would be very dumb to sail carrier and her group into the gulf itself now. Those days have passed. (In desert storm we had 4 complete carrier groups inside the Gulf. With about three times total air strength of Iran)

China will have no problems launching 1 to 2 thousand missiles at a 16 ship USN Carrier group. The USN only has a few hundred SAM's on hand a few dozen to maybe a hundred point defense which will eventually be overwhelmed and most if not all the group will be sunk or nearly so within two hours at best. With China in a position to launch another 1 to two thousand missiles at any other group detected. If by some miracle the first CVN Groups survived, they will have to fall back for reload and there is 23 hours left to go in day. And maybe 700 miles to go before they get out of range.

I have played computer games related to modern naval war. Takes a long time to man battle stations missile as 400 inbound Soviet Bomber launched missiles are inbound. Mostly waiting for them to get into range and put the Ticonderoga Aegis into automatic for one cruiser and man the second cruiser to deal with the leaker vampires while the rest of the group is on networked automatic. Its all over in a hour or less and this was with 1980's technology (*Networking as we use it today did not exist then)

On the other hand we have about 10 to 14 B1 Bones specifically capable of using  dozens of JSSM and LRASM for Maritime Antiship role anywhere in the world at any time (Thats dozens each plane. You probably can put up a few hundred against a Kirov Battle Group who Himself (Russian ships are He) can carry after current refit hundreds of carrier killing missiles herself. Never mind the rest of His group and the current Russian Bastion Doctrine which holds carrier groups off Iceland at 15 minutes flight time from Murmansk by Missiles that fly so fast that they cannot be intercepted by even the Block 5's and 6's Sams. We are working on new airdefenses to deal with the truly modern threats evolving and deploying now.

Lets not overlook we need about 10 minutes give or take to go into full General Quarters and maximum water integrity etc.

Back to the chinese. They have no problem using 200 fishing boats rubbing hulls as one giant living group. They act together to sink any individual "Enemy" coast gaurd or other fishing boats who insist that the waters they are on is illegal for the chinese to come and fish. Well... they get sunk and the chinese empty the waters of fish leaving nothing for the host nation that claims it's fishing waters. The only solution to that is a shooting war to sink the chinese fishing boats wholesale and that will usually in time lay the aggressor nation waste because they will need the USA via the UN to step in and interdict the inbound chinese with the fishery war now.

We cannot build ships like the Chinese can right now. We will need a minimum of three years to build ship yards and certain modular designs to put a warship into the water every 60 days or less. But that assumes we can defend the shipyard and supply chain via railroad, trucking etc in the lower 48. They can certainly wreck us here. And eventually sink enough of our Navy and trash the rest so that all need shop work. While they currently outbuild us in warships. However what is unknown is our submarine forces and our US Marine Forces whom are scrapping artillery and tanks etc all together and doing 1000 mile anti ship missles from all over the pacific etc. Who knows. Do we want to fight China? Probably not. But if we must then it will have to hurt the chinese food system first. Then her minerals and POL. (Fuel stocks and oils, Lubes etc) What we can do to them they can certainly do to us. The problems are compounded when China can put 2 million infantry boots in a day on the ground while we need 6 months to basic train maybe 500,000 while fighting 20 millions coast to coast in full blown riots.

More than likely the light Tridents (Hundreds if not thousands of little nuclear bombs that target like 4 city blocks each) taking out the Chinese critical systems including her nuclear forces early will resolve the war in our favor. If we sit and do nothing for say 30 years, china will be able to turn us into chinese speaking indebited productive factories to support her homeland.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
4,974 posts
21,918 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

The Cold War first and then, the information era after (up to the last use of BB's.)

Low tech missiles would work in this game.  So would guided torps.

But, If were in charge, I'd go the other way

I'd create a WW1 mode; a Washington Treaty Mode; an Early WW2 mode; and, a Late WW2 mode with Korea added (say, to 1956...)  In each, these modes would have Campaigns added once a year for those specific era.   And, scenarios added, one for each era:  i.e. as an example, the Early WW 2 would have the North Atlantic scenario with BOT Subs.......

Gosh, the potential is endless............if you have any concept of Innovation and Blue Ocean strategies.......

• Cool 2

[_BDA_]
Members
483 posts
7,453 battles
14 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

The Cold War first and then, the information era after (up to the last use of BB's.)

Low tech missiles would work in this game.  So would guided torps.

But, If were in charge, I'd go the other way

I'd create a WW1 mode; a Washington Treaty Mode; an Early WW2 mode; and, a Late WW2 mode with Korea added (say, to 1956...)  In each, these modes would have Campaigns added once a year for those specific era.   And, scenarios added, one for each era:  i.e. as an example, the Early WW 2 would have the North Atlantic scenario with BOT Subs.......

Gosh, the potential is endless............if you have any concept of Innovation and Blue Ocean strategies.......

Back it up even further into the pre-dreadnaught era.  The Spanish-American war (1898), the Russo-Japanese War (1904-05), the Italo-Turkish War and First Balkan War (1911-13), and the world tour of the Great White Fleet (1907-09).  Then roll into the modes you listed.

• Cool 3

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,642 posts
25,727 battles
3 hours ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

I don't care. This isn't a simulator, it's a shooty-botes arcade. Nothing in history, technology, or current tactical doctrine has any bearing on it, except for very loosely-connected creative inspiration. They could put in sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads and it wouldn't be much more unrealistic than it is now.

They already did that with last season halloween mode.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,612 posts
27,681 battles
1 hour ago, michael_zahnle said:

Back it up even further into the pre-dreadnaught era.  The Spanish-American war (1898), the Russo-Japanese War (1904-05), the Italo-Turkish War and First Balkan War (1911-13), and the world tour of the Great White Fleet (1907-09).  Then roll into the modes you listed.

I would be down for this. +1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,218 posts
3 hours ago, pepe_trueno said:

new russian cruiser line

The new BabyEagle plane in english (Roughly translated)

I heard a rumor with a picture of it from a old Officer at our bar one day back in the 80's It scared me so bad when the officer detailed that they were trying to put fast missiles on it. It would be what they need to sink 6 carriers before they can get to general quarters really fast. Oh the stories he spun. I wonder if its the same type of yarns I spin for the newbie truckers from trucking school. Scare them a little bit.

I have followed this plane for many years and grew to love and respect it for what it is. Can you imagine a big ferry with modern engines loading say 20 cars or 5 big rigs and flying them 300 miles in one hour down the coast? Faster than Amtrack AUTO train and way faster than commerical airports etc.

Or more scary yet a modern flying Kirov post refit after 2024. She will carry some really awesomely dangerous weapons then. We are also evolving as well.

I don't hate Russia because they are a western people who row a thousand years ago and here they are. Relatively free more or less. And in some cases I will not mind celebrating a respected achievement from Russia if it is awesome enough. I hope they feel the same with us. I suppose it goes back to the cold war days when a song said, lets hope they love their children too. A reference to MAD (Mutual assured destruction) in those bad horrible days. We were alive back then. Today it's half dead out here....

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,503 battles
4 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I would look to World of Tanks for a general development path template.

[WORX]
Members
12,418 posts
19,686 battles

They're a couple of projects on hold..

• User controlled AA
  • User controlled Secondaries
  • Changing the in-game tutorial
  • Hybrid cruisers like TONE (its coming)
  • Subs

Right now, Projects are up to a year behind the development timeline. While others maybe sent to the scrap yard all together...

[SALVO]
Members
2,944 posts
6,975 battles
5 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Well I want to say they won’t go to guided missiles but I’m not 100% sure on that anymore. Right now the focus towards an increase of active clan members and cement friendships  with other clans to create a more stable and close knit community.  So that our clan has the chance to weather any fallout in players leaving better. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 1

[OMGIF]
Members
19 posts
3,519 battles

Mine layers ! like stationary torpedoes', once a allied ship lays them you can see , but the enemy has to detect them like torps  . It can work like smoke "mine laying started " then "mine laying set " strings can be longer or shorter or different detection ranges and war head power .

(joking of course, could you see that fiasco ?) 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,529 posts
5,206 battles

My money is on missiles.  :cap_tea:

6 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Indeed

I wish they dare and find ways to monetize new modes.

[PVE]
Members
4,974 posts
21,918 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

My money is on missiles.  :cap_tea:

Indeed

I wish they dare and find ways to monetize new modes.

Ah, they lack what we have............creativity I think.  They lack the will to "get out of the box..."   And, Innovation doesn't sail in Red or Brown Oceans;.........which, seems to be the only Oceans they know how to sail in..... Gosh, I really do not understand where this corporation is coming from nor, what is motivating them in this obtuse direction since Update 8.0???? 

Edited by Asym_KS

Members
658 posts
5,327 battles
16 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Can't be, that would have a citadel above water...:Smile_trollface:

dont worry, it will be compensated with a citadel so thin even HE will overpen, inmunity to torpedos and 297 Kn max speed

• Haha 1

Members
284 posts
10,070 battles
22 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I think WOW should split historical eras....pre 1950 and post 1950. The game we play now would be called something like "WOW- Classic", the new game would be "WOW-Modern Era"

This post 1950 game would feature 10 Tiers also, from the first beginnings of anti ship and aircraft missiles, modern radar, faster ships, faster game play, etc.

This product would, I think, appeal to a different audience than the existing game.

All the basic programming is already done, would just need to add new weapon and ship characteristics.

[R-U-D]
Members
46 posts
6,497 battles

I say add an Italian DD line (they had 12 different classes up to the start of WWII).  Also, if it is about money, I'd rather them charge me $25/month, give me a better MM system plus premium.  That would be preferable to the constant barrage of premium ships that I don't buy.

Edited by ohioan55