Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Burnsy

People that have Plymouth

26 comments in this topic

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,622 posts

What are your thoughts on it?

I was going to snag Somers before it disappears into the nothing.  I do loves me some torp DDs, Shima and  Benham are loads of fun and often my goto DDs. A long range US Shima is more than welcome.

I keep finding myself drawn to the Plymouth though.  All those guns and a big tool box of important consumables, all wrapped up in one cruiser.

Those that own it, do you regret it?  Love it?  Why? 

[WAIFU]
Members
852 posts
11,408 battles

i mean if you want to bring the enemy team an easy damage piñata sure. Id go for mysore or fiji if you want actual fun with uk light cruisers without having to deal with the t10 meta and powercreep.

[A-D-F]
8,622 posts
4 minutes ago, Suzutsuki_Kai said:

i mean if you want to bring the enemy team an easy damage piñata sure. Id go for mysore or fiji if you want actual fun with uk light cruisers without having to deal with the t10 meta and powercreep.

I play T10 all the time.  Let's take "it is a T10" out of the cons column please.  For that matter, I can't buy a not T10 with my steel.  WG doesn't offer other tiers for the currency.

[DIEBL]
Members
658 posts
8,652 battles

I really like mine but I like RN light cruisers and was never a fan of Minotaur.  You can see the stats and extrapolate the info so I usually just stick to telling people that every game in it is very stressful.  If a gambit works out, you’ll be a main reason for a win, if it doesn’t work then you’ll just be sunk.  If you play safe, your results will be mediocre.

I wish I could be playing it more but have been focusing on figuring out captain skills for clanboats.

Unsure if I’ll be taking it into T10 clanbattles... probably will if CVs won’t be allowed but will have to consider if CVs are in the mix.

Edited by PhosphorusForFun
Phonetyping

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
193 posts
4,417 battles

I don't know...but that looks like a massive amount of fun to me...and I want one...

[SOBA6]
Members
255 posts

Isn't it basically a worse version of the Minotaur? The Mino seems to have faster guns and it can have radar or smoke as well as both having torpedos. Is there any advantage to Plymouth over the Mino that I got for free?

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
193 posts
4,417 battles
9 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

Isn't it basically a worse version of the Minotaur? The Mino seems to have faster guns and it can have radar or smoke as well as both having torpedos. Is there any advantage to Plymouth over the Mino that I got for free?

Radar and smoke at the same time

[DIEBL]
Members
658 posts
8,652 battles
14 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

Radar and Smoke and Hydro in separate slots.  Plymouth also has better armor layout and ballistics but half the torpedo load.

To be fair, mino has better heal and 10km radar vs 9 and higher overall DPM assuming you shoot alot and hit your shots.

Edited by PhosphorusForFun

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,278 posts

Minotaur suffers from three problems.

1- It cannot stop. You have to almost stop first then pop smoke if you want to stay in it.

2- It can hold Smoke OR radar. Never both. Most people select smoke. The few that use radar on the Mino reveal themselves at like really bad timing for the enemy team.

3- It is squishy and summarily deleted on sight. Fortunately thats not hard to do.

The Plymouth does have both radar and smoke. The guns don't fire too fast and the hull is not expected to be any less squishy.

The long range Shima does not work well in games against humans. They can identify the 20km torps inbound on sight like 5 minutes ago. Evading is so easy. The best you can hope for in Shima is with 12km torps. Gearing offers better torps at 16.Km if you can speed them up a bit. Shima has 8km torps at like 80 knots which might be speedable to 90 or beyond depending on how you fit the destroyer. And those tops reload really fast. So if you feel like a knife fight in that go for it. However there are other destroyers able to put more torps in the water with horrifying speed and will blow the pathetic shima out of the water. Benham would be one...

Somers is not going away forever. Customer service told me specifically that one will probably come back at some point in due time in the future. However the Somers itself is not too terribly influential in battle, however more and more people buy it because it's going away and battles with two or three somers in addition to one or two other DD's in Random are becoming more common. I would love to have the somers myself but don't expect too much out of it. I plan to get the Plymouth myself for my own reasons along with two other ships in due time with steel.

I treat the somers as a gearing with a third set of torp tubes and reloads way faster than a Shima can making her a better ship in combat. However the Shima can be equipped with a module that makes reloading her big torps about 25% faster which will make all the difference in the game. Currently it's a two minute reload on the 12km torps. If we can knock that to a minute and half or faster then we will do well indeed.

Edited by xHeavy

[SOBA6]
Members
255 posts
3 minutes ago, PhosphorusForFun said:

Radar and Smoke and Hydro in separate slots.  Plymouth also has better armor layout and ballistics but half the torpedo load.

But is it worth it when you compare damage per minute capability of the 2 ships? The Plymouth can pump out 445,000 damage per minute vs the Mino's 672,000. That gives the Mino a whopping 227,000 more "potential" damage per minute. The Mino can get its concealment down to less than Plymouth plus the Mino has a greater AA range with 6.9 vs the Plymouths 5.8
The Mino also gets the Super Heal vs the Plymouth Standard Heal and the Mino gets twice as many torpedos which are no joke in themselves as they are 16k damage and 10km range. 

You might think I'm anti Plymouth but I'm really not. I just want someone to convince me to blow all that Steel on a ship that seems to me to have inferior stats to the Mino I ground out for free. Steel is not the easiest resource to grind out and as such, I'd like to spend it very carefully. This is just my personal opinion as someone else may not want to grind the Mino and buy the Plymouth because they love cruisers. 

[A-D-F]
8,622 posts
12 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

But is it worth it when you compare damage per minute capability of the 2 ships? The Plymouth can pump out 445,000 damage per minute vs the Mino's 672,000. That gives the Mino a whopping 227,000 more "potential" damage per minute. The Mino can get its concealment down to less than Plymouth plus the Mino has a greater AA range with 6.9 vs the Plymouths 5.8
The Mino also gets the Super Heal vs the Plymouth Standard Heal and the Mino gets twice as many torpedos which are no joke in themselves as they are 16k damage and 10km range. 

You might think I'm anti Plymouth but I'm really not. I just want someone to convince me to blow all that Steel on a ship that seems to me to have inferior stats to the Mino I ground out for free. Steel is not the easiest resource to grind out and as such, I'd like to spend it very carefully. This is just my personal opinion as someone else may not want to grind the Mino and buy the Plymouth because they love cruisers. 

From my research, the mino does have more DPM (if you can land all if them).  The Plymouth counters it's slower rate of fire with a higher alpha strike.  Which is an advantage, if you really need something to be dead....right now and not 5 seconds from now.  That may or may not be something you personally see as a big advantage.

The AA is weaker than mino and the mino has stronger torps.  The plymouth though has radar, smoke, hydro and heal, all at the same time.  It doesn't have to give up radar to get smoke.  In my personal view, that is a massive advantage over having to choose one or the other.  You don't have to be safe but also blind and you don't need to count on someone else spotting for you.

There are also some health and armor differences.  UK cruisers though, so again, the differences might be a big deal for some and not for others.

Again, I am not sold on the thing either (hence the questions) but this is my understanding of what it offers.  I don't think it is at all a "worse" version of the mino, I think it is a completely different ship.

[DIEBL]
Members
658 posts
8,652 battles
6 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

Oh i vastly prefer Plymouth to Mino and won’t touch my Mino anymor, but CVs worry me.

I personally do not care about DPM at all unless I’m in a battleship where I fire on cooldown. 
I’m afraid I can’t try to convince in good conscience, though, considering how long I agonized over buying it myself.

It’s basically an Edinburgh that is constantly double uptiered and gets a radar and 4 extra guns to compensate.  I’m cool with that.

[PVE]
Members
13,206 posts
27,708 battles
3 hours ago, Almedius said:

I don't know...but that looks like a massive amount of fun to me...and I want one...

Oh damn. I shouldn't have watched that. A T10 Fiji/Edinburgh with 16 guns. :fish_haloween:

I am only 1K Steel from FDR and I had to watch that. :Smile_facepalm:

Now I am torn. FDR or Plymouth??? :fish_nerv:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[A-D-F]
8,622 posts
27 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Oh damn. I shouldn't have watched that. A T10 Fiji with 16 guns. :fish_haloween:

I am only 1K Steel from FDR and I had to watch that. :Smile_facepalm:

Now I am torn. FDR or Plymouth??? :fish_nerv:

I already have FDR but welcome to my world.

FDR is good though.  Was worth every grind.

Now, you get Plymouth, and tell me. :Smile_teethhappy:

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,278 posts
2 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

Minos rounds come down from Orbit. You are laying the guns for range, then bearing and then for shell falling almost straight down.

Every little shell that hits say a BB makes a annoying noise, bounce clean off and only makes the BB more motivated to delete you. Takes about 300 to 400 rounds to properly destroy a full BB like the Musashi or Vermont etc (Krems in particular. You can shower them all day..., it did not come out right in written english but there is that.)

Im hoping that the Plymouth is much flatter. Or at least like a Leander or similar at certain ranges.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,278 posts

I plan on the FDR, just to spite all those carrier spreaders who bombed me into oblivion for 3 years.

And a Plymouth, a Somers... and maybe a Slinky. (Japanese BB, with the spiritually COOL guns... when they speak you know a enemy got eliminated possibly)

[A-D-F]
8,622 posts
2 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

I plan on the FDR, just to spite all those carrier spreaders who bombed me into oblivion for 3 years.

And a Plymouth, a Somers... and maybe a Slinky. (Japanese BB, with the spiritually COOL guns... when they speak you know a enemy got eliminated possibly)

If you want Somers, you better move.  It get's pulled patch after next for an indefinite period.  Might mean it becomes a coal ship in 2 years.  Might end up only in the Santa boxes with MO and Belfast.  Odds are good that it will reappear in the armory for coal some time down the road, but we don't actually know.

• Cool 1

[MHG]
Members
372 posts
21,162 battles

The Plymouth is more suited to smaller teams like Ranked play. In randoms I prefer the Minotaur by far. The DPM advantage on the Mino when both ships are firing full broadside is +33%. But the catch here is that the angles on the Plymouth guns are much worse than the Mino. So unless you are almost broadside, preferably already in smoke, you lose another 50% of your DPM.

Unlike what was stated above, both can get their detection down to 9.1km and are identical in this regard. Radar on a mino works as a meme because it is a 10km radar. With a 9km radar and slower reload you are lesser of a threat to a DD if he has support. More often than not you are moving forward towards the DD, get spotted and hit radar. You can fire with only half your guns unless you turn quite a bit. Even during the duration you start to stop and set up a smoke big guns can do mean things. It has a slightly improved armor compared to Mino, but don't kid yourself, anything that hurts the Mino can hurt the Ply.

In ranked you can have better luck as smaller teams means lesser to worry about positioning yourself to every battleship on the map. In games with 4 DDs on each side (very common atm in Gold) it can shine if you play careful early. But in randoms I'd take Mino every single day.

[MHG]
Members
372 posts
21,162 battles
6 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

Minos rounds come down from Orbit. You are laying the guns for range, then bearing and then for shell falling almost straight down.

Every little shell that hits say a BB makes a annoying noise, bounce clean off and only makes the BB more motivated to delete you. Takes about 300 to 400 rounds to properly destroy a full BB like the Musashi or Vermont etc (Krems in particular. You can shower them all day..., it did not come out right in written english but there is that.)

Im hoping that the Plymouth is much flatter. Or at least like a Leander or similar at certain ranges.

No the shell arcs are the same sadly, whats worse is that the Ply also gets decreased range- 15.3 vs 15.8.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
8,622 posts

Thank you everyone for your insight.  It does sound like it might be a bit too situational for my intended every day use. :Smile_sceptic:

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,921 posts
15,622 battles

If you can pull off smoke+radar simultaneously it can be worth it. 

These days though at T10 games with 0-1 DD per team are not uncommon. I've had plenty of games where I've never used the radar at all for a lack of targets. 

Otherwise it's simply worse Minotaur. Major disadvantages include the lack of DPM, but also much slower turret traverse and absolutely awful firing angles, basically 45' to get all 4 turrets on target. You have no super heal, still the thin 19mm plating. AA is frankly awful. I can't say I find her at all comfortable. 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,278 posts

I appreciate the honesty and clarity. Its hard for me to accept that the Plymouth might be the worst next to a Minotaur which has done some awesome things in battle. However...The main attraction to me is being in smoke, that means being with my forward DD's (They are not "my" dd's but rather, teammates who are benefiting from cruiser cover in a forward edge of battle area) And that means lots of smoke. I have cried a few times wishing on a star for a little bit of radar from SOMEONE just for a few seconds long enough to delete the two Red DD's hiding like bugs under the rug setting up a torp shot on me. (Which I will find out about soon enough too late to do anything but get blown up)

Having my own radar instead of begging in game chat is a nice opportunity. If the enemy DD's were any good at all and used to dealing with Petros and the like a Plymouth might not be too difficult to kill. However the Plymouths I have seen show up in random end up being a regional king pin in local seas near a base where the reds might be trying to get a breakthrough to sink the carrier one island over and to the rear. (Why the carrier has not yet fled bottomward at 50 knots I don't know...)

I do a great deal of time in the Leander. Its not much of a ship but has gotten me the victory a number of times. If the Plymouth is anything like the Leander but with perhaps HE and Radar etc then I can maybe consider creating a oppertunity to sink someone properly.

The patch 10.0 throws the entire cruiser mindset into doubt now. If at all possible I am now crappier in a cruiser than I was a few days ago before patching update to 10.0.... I need to solve that p[roblem first. If it's solvable.

[A-D-F]
8,622 posts
6 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

I appreciate the honesty and clarity. Its hard for me to accept that the Plymouth might be the worst next to a Minotaur which has done some awesome things in battle. However...The main attraction to me is being in smoke, that means being with my forward DD's (They are not "my" dd's but rather, teammates who are benefiting from cruiser cover in a forward edge of battle area) And that means lots of smoke. I have cried a few times wishing on a star for a little bit of radar from SOMEONE just for a few seconds long enough to delete the two Red DD's hiding like bugs under the rug setting up a torp shot on me. (Which I will find out about soon enough too late to do anything but get blown up)

Having my own radar instead of begging in game chat is a nice opportunity. If the enemy DD's were any good at all and used to dealing with Petros and the like a Plymouth might not be too difficult to kill. However the Plymouths I have seen show up in random end up being a regional king pin in local seas near a base where the reds might be trying to get a breakthrough to sink the carrier one island over and to the rear. (Why the carrier has not yet fled bottomward at 50 knots I don't know...)

I do a great deal of time in the Leander. Its not much of a ship but has gotten me the victory a number of times. If the Plymouth is anything like the Leander but with perhaps HE and Radar etc then I can maybe consider creating a oppertunity to sink someone properly.

The patch 10.0 throws the entire cruiser mindset into doubt now. If at all possible I am now crappier in a cruiser than I was a few days ago before patching update to 10.0.... I need to solve that p[roblem first. If it's solvable.

It is a UK cruiser.  It does not have HE.  That doesn't change anything for me, I knew that already.

I was really leaning toward it but......I think I am going to take the advice given and stay away.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,278 posts
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

It is a UK cruiser.  It does not have HE.  That doesn't change anything for me, I knew that already.

I was really leaning toward it but......I think I am going to take the advice given and stay away.

I might be staying away myself. Its a awful lot of steel and we are getting close to a time to pick up a good ship. I don't think the plymouth will be it.

Sign in to follow this