You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Khafni

What's a Gross?

31 comments in this topic

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,206 posts
22,715 battles

Dear WG,

Just the other day I picked up Mysore and I realized that I now have a gross of premium ships in my port - 144, a dozen dozens. Whoopie!

Today I got up and started my daily routine playing a round of warships. It ended at one round. I just don't feel the same level of enthusiasm for it that I've had the past 5 and a half years!

I got to thinking about my gross of premiums and realized gross has more applicability to WoWs than I thought.

The skills rework was grossly unfair. Your rationale doesn't hold water, WG. This was a slap in the face to the many captains, like me, who busted hump to get those 19-pointers and make our play more rewarding. It's like you looked at all of us and said, "Go to gulag, you are having too much fun!" I'm not sure I am interested in setting that goal again.

You've demonstrated a gross habit of trying to fit square pegs in round holes. The CV rework is one example. Sure, you accomplished one goal of getting more peeps to play CV's (and I am one of them). All the balancing you are still doing should make you wonder when is enough, enough?

Now you are trying the same with subs. Another gross error in the making, IMHO. Subs are strategic weapons (square pegs) that you want to put in tactical combat (round holes). To get them there you are gonna have to gimmick them up to make them even relevant. I understand this is an arcade game but, c'mon, when do the gimmicks end?

Today, at least, I'm not looking forward to 2021...

Khafni

Edited by Khafni
  • Cool 13
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 2

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
21 minutes ago, Khafni said:

... I just don't feel the same level of enthusiasm for it that I've had the past 5 and a half years! ... 

Nailed it ...

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFX]
Members
75 posts
15,922 battles

Talking about gross, after 5 years with my mother in law, it doesn't feel the same, we tried gimmicks, nothing.

Maybe I should try her sister, what do you, think? move on?

• Funny 5
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,972 posts
9,887 battles
1 minute ago, 99_Luftdoubloons said:

Talking about gross, after 5 years with my mother in law, it doesn't feel the same, we tried gimmicks, nothing.

Well, if your mother-in-law is gross, you should move on, before her daughter gets to that age.... :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 3
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,972 posts
9,887 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

I just don't feel the same level of enthusiasm for it that I've had the past 5 and a half years!

To be fair though, are you usually as enthusiastic about a game on Day 1825 as you are on Day 1?

I know I'm not, even if I still like playing the game.

[TSF]
Members
367 posts
13,953 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

I just don't feel the same level of enthusiasm for it that I've had the past 5 and a half years!

^

[PHD]
Members
1,797 posts
7,231 battles
28 minutes ago, 99_Luftdoubloons said:

Be sure to use an alternate account. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
1,797 posts
7,231 battles
27 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

To be fair though, are you usually as enthusiastic about a game on Day 1825 as you are on Day 1?

I usually get more enthusiastic as I learn to play the game more than day one.

This latest rework forces me the relearn weather I want to or not. Unlike some other reworks you cannot avoid it. 

[VOP]
Members
939 posts

Rework aside, several clan mates and I feel the game seems off with this latest patch. The shell/pen/flight mechanics seem off. The ships feel like they are sailing through sludge and are more unresponsive and handle like dying beached whales. Good performance seems even more dependent on RNG than before. So, it is GROSSS, lol. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,287 posts
26,944 battles

One thing I do notice .  I'm playing a lot less and spending a lot less then I use to. Way too many blow-out battles and just not fun like it to to be , that's my opinion worth about 0ne cent...................

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
381 posts
3,236 battles
1 hour ago, Airjellyfish said:

Good performance seems even more dependent on RNG than before. So, it is GROSSS, lol. 

Of course.  RNG is WG's ultimate method of balance.  Haven't figured that out yet.?  That was World of Tanks 101.  Nothing different here in World of Warships.

[VOP]
Members
939 posts
1 hour ago, Duma said:

Of course.  RNG is WG's ultimate method of balance.  Haven't figured that out yet.?  That was World of Tanks 101.  Nothing different here in World of Warships.

Yes, I figured it Mr. Snarky, just stating it seems worse now. 

Also, never played World of Tanks, looks like I never will.

Edited by Airjellyfish
  • Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,206 posts
22,715 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Honestly, my enthusiasm only started to fade when WG reversed their stance on subs. Even the CV rework didn't really dampen my enjoyment. This game has been my sole time waster all these years.

I now am beginning to look at "life after WoWs"...

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,638 posts
5,231 battles

Lol. I don't share your perspective but I liked how your post is written and laid out. +1

• Thanks 1

[VOP]
Members
595 posts
10,237 battles

I feel your pain OP.  Why would I want to play my older ships which got nerfed hard by this rework? It's just painful now to use those ships that had no issues before. And that now are garbage because of WG's want to "diversify to give us more skills". 

Well they didn't do as they described. When anything that is supposed to be fun becomes a chore, it is time to take a break and step away. 

Spec your captains to zip so all you must do is re-sepc them when you come back.  

Fair Seas. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
3 hours ago, Khafni said:

This was a slap in the face to the many captains, like me, who busted hump to get those 19-pointers and make our play more rewarding.

I had some of my most rewarding play on the way to 19 points, when my commanders were less capable and I had to lean more on my wits to do well.

I was regrinding the Gaede this morning to be ready for when the German destroyers split; I had just your basic 10 point captain and depending on which battle I was in, there was radar, carriers, double radar and double carriers. I still got stuff done, my teams that didn't completely blow rabid goat actually managed to win, and I felt as though my sacrifices (I got sunk a lot) were worthwhile. I ACTUALLY HAD FUN. And I intend to have even more of it moving forward.

So perhaps you'll understand now why I don't feel like sitting in sackcloth and ashes with a whole bunch of you. You of all people, Khafni, have the most to gain from this rework; you have an almost-all-premium fleet and MASSIVE flexibility. And anyone in your shoes who is also a co-op main has even less to lose. 

F*** the rework, f*** the carriers, f*** the radar, and f*** the 1.2 million point gap. You all can go on wallowing in your self-pity and your gross exaggerations all you want; I'm going to shrug the whole lot off and keep playing.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 5

[PVE]
Members
7,578 posts
23,591 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I had some of my most rewarding play on the way to 19 points, when my commanders were less capable and I had to lean more on my wits to do well.

I was regrinding the Gaede this morning to be ready for when the German destroyers split; I had just your basic 10 point captain and depending on which battle I was in, there was radar, carriers, double radar and double carriers. I still got stuff done, my teams that didn't completely blow rabid goat actually managed to win, and I felt as though my sacrifices (I got sunk a lot) were worthwhile. I ACTUALLY HAD FUN. And I intend to have even more of it moving forward.

So perhaps you'll understand now why I don't feel like sitting in sackcloth and ashes with a whole bunch of you. You of all people, Khafni, have the most to gain from this rework; you have an almost-all-premium fleet and MASSIVE flexibility. And anyone in your shoes who is also a co-op main has even less to lose. 

F*** the rework, f*** the carriers, f*** the radar, and f*** the 1.2 million point gap. You all can go on wallowing in your self-pity and your gross exaggerations all you want; I'm going to shrug the whole lot off and keep playing.

I suck because I suck...the rabid goats have NOTHING to do with it...LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,559 posts
4,771 battles
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

F*** the rework, f*** the carriers, f*** the radar, and f*** the 1.2 million point gap.

Isn't is a bit early to be drinking?  Yeah. okay.  It's Saturday.  But still.

Context?  What's "context"?

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,206 posts
22,715 battles
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Wow, Ensign! Can I not complain without you throwing expletives my way? Why so harsh??

I have a number of 21 point captains already all BECAUSE of my flexibility. I've had fun grinding them before to 19 points, no doubt! This rework was unnecessary. WG couldn't abide success so they moved the goalposts. It's depressing.

You just go on your merry way, sir, having fun, absorbing the grind. Can you not see why I have only a premium fleet? I abhor the grind and now WG has laid it back on me. That's the gross injustice and now you spew your gross diatribe about how nothing bothers you!

I will take my 20 21-pointers and most likely make 21 pointers of my remaining 14 19-point captains. But it will be a grind I do not relish.

If I want to cry in my wheaties that is my right. I don't need you pissing in them...

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,638 posts
5,231 battles
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

LOL, more than 4K matches in and NONE of my captains is nowhere near 19 pts. Heck, I think I have about only 2 or 3 guys with +14 points (as in barely 2 4pt skills, meaning only 3 of my guys have something else besides CE).

ALL of my most rewarding play has been with sub 19 points commanders. I do get your point.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
8 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Wow, Ensign! Can I not complain without you throwing expletives my way? Why so harsh??

If you read that paragraph clearly you'll see where I'm directing them, and it's not at you.

8 minutes ago, Khafni said:

WG couldn't abide success so they moved the goalposts.

You are bordering on the paranoid here.

10 minutes ago, Khafni said:

I abhor the grind and now WG has laid it back on me.

No, YOU have laid it back on you. YOU are the one fixated on the number 21, convincing yourself that anything less is unsatisfactory. 

14 minutes ago, Khafni said:

I will take my 20 21-pointers

You have 20 times the number of 21-pointers I do. I'd like to have a second and maybe a third, so that if I feel inclined to go on an ECXP rampage there's always one in port to take out. The work it takes to get a 15 pointer to 19 is not much less than that required to get a 19 pointer to 21, and I did that five times last year. 

20 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I suck because I suck...the rabid goats have NOTHING to do with it...LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

A suspiciously specific denial. Very suspicious. :cap_yes:

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,206 posts
22,715 battles
23 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you read that paragraph clearly you'll see where I'm directing them, and it's not at you.

You are bordering on the paranoid here.

No, YOU have laid it back on you. YOU are the one fixated on the number 21, convincing yourself that anything less is unsatisfactory. 

You have 20 times the number of 21-pointers I do. I'd like to have a second and maybe a third, so that if I feel inclined to go on an ECXP rampage there's always one in port to take out. The work it takes to get a 15 pointer to 19 is not much less than that required to get a 19 pointer to 21, and I did that five times last year. 

A suspiciously specific denial. Very suspicious. :cap_yes:

When you use the word "you" just what does that mean? You did not say "some players" or "others", you said you.

So, I'm paranoid. It's paranoia resulting from frustration.

When someone has reached the top of a 19 step ladder and the ladder owner adds two more steps it is on them. I had nothing to do with removing myself from the top rung. My end state was at the top. What's unsatisfactory is that WG is trying to fix something that isn't broken.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
6,958 posts
16,813 battles
5 hours ago, Khafni said:

Just the other day I picked up Mysore and I realized that I now have a gross of premium ships in my port - 144, a dozen dozens.

Try Hard.  Wallet Warrior.

I only have 124, because I have morals, dammit!  :Smile_trollface:

[TAZ]
Members
860 posts
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

What's unsatisfactory is that WG is trying to fix something that isn't broken.

WG is NOT trying to fix anything because they have NO interest in fixing anything; the skills rework is as blatant a cash grab as you can get

Edited by Nutaz
  • Thanks 1