Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ajax_the_Great1

Range Gearing = Best Gearing

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,126 posts
6,772 battles

Can't believe I never tried this build until tonight. 

It open up your game. Let's you be a much better speed tanker. Let's you start those important fires on ships that dam control your torpedoes. The arcs are easy enough to hit sluggish T10's. Combined with full torpedo skills it's a powerful build.

Try it out. Respecs are free  right now. Change it if you don't like it.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,264 posts

I use the 16.5 km torps and apply the speed boosts to them (Without penalties if possible) Throw in silent stealth speed boost and so on I prosecute Moskvas, Petros and Stalins all day long with their 12km radar. Sometimes I'll bait them with a shot, they light off a radar and I wait behind a island all radared up until it burns out on them for a one minute cool down. (So I can dash in close and nuke the critter....)

If you don't have a fast clock on your keyboard (Or ideally several clocks to keep track of your enemy cooldowns on radar etc... you might find yourself a little bit late and a dollar short.)

Don't forget to use RDF with 8 km Shima Torps to set up 90 knot to 100 knot walls of torps against very dangerous enemies you know are very close (Smaland etc) and the RDF will get you pretty fair shot at them. IF you can live long enough to execute the shoot and get out of the criminal scene without getting busted.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,913 posts
18,081 battles

I’m not good at DD gun boating. I had already turned my Gearing into a torpedo build with the UU applied. Now that the range penalty has been waived with the commander skill changes I like it better. I wish the Gearing had a little better handling. However not opposed to giving a range Gearing a try. Knowing my luck, end up getting zapped by rail gun Russian boats. (Back to my poor gun boat DD abilities) :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFG]
Members
31,969 posts
9,887 battles
6 hours ago, Ajax_the_Great1 said:

Can't believe I never tried this build until tonight. 

It open up your game. Let's you be a much better speed tanker. Let's you start those important fires on ships that dam control your torpedoes. The arcs are easy enough to hit sluggish T10's. Combined with full torpedo skills it's a powerful build.

Try it out. Respecs are free  right now. Change it if you don't like it.

What did you put in Slot 6?

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,264 posts

Slot 5 has that RB points paid for Legendary Concealment among other things. It gets it down to like 5.5ish. Not that it matters. Toss on some extra armor.

Slot 6 is going to proably get that little more in the Ultimate Upgrade from Coal etc. I am however salivating on the future Shima Torp Reload Boost modification. The Shima has been nerfed for years and is a IJN DD. I hope to field a different DD that can fight. And realize the sentence is a oxymoron.

Members
2,034 posts
12,523 battles

Isn't the shell flight time longer than the average human life expectancy at those ranges? You must be running into some die hard campers to hitting enough to start fires.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,654 posts
10,616 battles
8 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

Isn't the shell flight time longer than the average human life expectancy at those ranges? You must be running into some die hard campers to hitting enough to start fires.

With Dead-eye BBs out in force, why yes, yes there is.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,969 posts
9,887 battles
5 hours ago, Ajax_the_Great1 said:

Torpedo Tubes Mod 2. Get's the reload below 100 secs.

Ah ok, so not MBM2. Your range is around 13km?

Members
1,126 posts
6,772 battles
14 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Ah ok, so not MBM2. Your range is around 13km?

13.3km. It's still very easy to hit cruisers and bbs at that range. Sometimes dds too.

I do like the faster guns. It's why I played USN dd's so much back in the day. Now however they aren't the best at dpm, and long range radar is everywhere. There are times when it's better to have faster firing guns but I'm finding that it's more beneficial most of the time to have faster reloading torpedoes.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,969 posts
9,887 battles
7 hours ago, Ajax_the_Great1 said:

13.3km. It's still very easy to hit cruisers and bbs at that range. Sometimes dds too.

I do like the faster guns. It's why I played USN dd's so much back in the day. Now however they aren't the best at dpm, and long range radar is everywhere. There are times when it's better to have faster firing guns but I'm finding that it's more beneficial most of the time to have faster reloading torpedoes.

I tried it at first with 15.5km range, that was a little much, and my torps loaded too slow lol.

Members
1,126 posts
6,772 battles
15 hours ago, Skpstr said:

I tried it at first with 15.5km range, that was a little much, and my torps loaded too slow lol.

Ah, sorry about that. I guess I forgot to clarify what I meant in my op. 15.5km range is too much lol. You could honestly take the captain skill or the equipment slot but I wouldn't take both.

Sign in to follow this