Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Fantasque gun rails

6 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
6,087 posts
18,682 battles

Looking at the Fantasque model (she is a great looking ship) I noticed the rails around the main guns were wider than required. Finally zoomed in and saw they were actually concave (gutter like) and there was a suspicious port hole right where they met the superstructure.  Just wondering if those rails were used to hold ready shells? Push them out of that port hole and slide them along the rail to meet up with gun loading crew. I can't see any ready ammo racks like some other DDs have.

[PVE]
Members
10,882 posts
18,772 battles

It seems it would have something to do with that, it's the same on Le Terrible.

shot-21_01.29_21_26.16-0929.thumb.jpg.437982134121440a7a2295774bc3941f.jpgshot-21_01.29_21_26.44-0761.thumb.jpg.b60da8c7e6283cb171081180ca0313e9.jpgshot-21_01.29_21_32.58-0637.thumb.jpg.c0d538f7e9afcfeb05f20326f1bc09ae.jpg

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,625 posts
4,898 battles

While these are concave in shape, they actually don't go all the way to the superstructure as modelled.

France 138.6 mm/50 (5.46") Model 1929 and Model 1934 - NavWeaps

While it is possible they might be used as loading trays in some way, given the shells weigh 88 to 90 lbs. each, I'm not so certain that's the case.  These railings or whatever also look kind of flimsy in photographs of them.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,087 posts
18,682 battles
2 hours ago, Murotsu said:

While it is possible they might be used as loading trays in some way, given the shells weigh 88 to 90 lbs. e

Is that shell and casing?

I also note the WG doesn't take into account the tendency for the later guns to jam due to poor workmanship on the loaders.

2 hours ago, Murotsu said:

While these are concave in shape, they actually don't go all the way to the superstructure as modelled.

I see  that in the photo where the ship was in port. Still there has to be a reason for being concave. Was WG wrong or could there have been extra rail that was put in place when the ship was at battle stations but removed in port for traffic flow?

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,625 posts
4,898 battles
7 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Is that shell and casing?

I also note the WG doesn't take into account the tendency for the later guns to jam due to poor workmanship on the loaders.

I see  that in the photo where the ship was in port. Still there has to be a reason for being concave. Was WG wrong or could there have been extra rail that was put in place when the ship was at battle stations but removed in port for traffic flow?

The casing (with powder) is brass and it weighs 28 lbs. and is loaded separately.  The jamming problem began to be sorted out around early 1940 but not completely.  Hard to say.  Later, these railings had the lower portion plated in solid on some of the class.  I could speculate that possibly there was some sort of soft armor like the Japanese using kapok splinter protection that was hung from them in combat, but there is no photographic evidence of that.  From the look of them, they definitely are not used for shell racks.  If you look closely, there are reinforcing straps inside them at intervals.  I'd think those would get in the way of moving a shell.

If you look at the photos closely again, there is no scuttle or port and the description of the loading system indicates that loading was accomplished manually directly from the shell and cartridge hoists to the gun.

Sign in to follow this