You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xalmgrey

Is Gold Rank worth getting into?

25 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
Members
2,472 posts
5,678 battles

I'm in the qualification round for gold from silver, however, I have a couple of issues with what I've read about gold lately. To top it off I find the mix of IX and X to be more fun than just straight X. 

If I hang back from trying to rank out will it dump me back into the silver league?

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,098 posts
11,592 battles

The sprint season ends Sunday and I believe when the next season starts everyone goes back to bronze.

• Cool 1

[ROXY]
Members
381 posts
1,379 battles
40 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

I'm in the qualification round for gold from silver, however, I have a couple of issues with what I've read about gold lately. To top it off I find the mix of IX and X to be more fun than just straight X. 

If I hang back from trying to rank out will it dump me back into the silver league?

There's nothing golden about the league other than the doubloons and gold camo.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,602 posts
4,771 battles
42 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

I've heard from a couple of very good players that they'd rather have stayed in Silver.  Don't complete quals and you'll still be in Silver for the next round.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,324 posts

No.

The nosebleed is high in Gold. Always a bunch of cooks in the kitchen telling you how to fix your own meal. Particularly if you don't conform.

I am in Gold but cleaned up all availible awards with 15 wins or whatever. In a couple of days that season is finished. Back to bronze we go. And this time I'll make sure to stay in Bronze. Its just not worth the hassle.

What about ranking out in Gold? Forget it. I bounce between 10 and rank 7 in Gold and back to 10 again. back and forth. So victories have no meaning when 10 defeats erases the last 4 and puts you back to square one.

One more thought. It actually gets boring fighting the same old ships in Gold. Might as well go to Bronze or silver where you can fight a range of ships from players who have not yet learned to stick with just a few good ships.

Edited by xHeavy

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,745 posts
14,877 battles

For most players probably not with so few irrevocable ranks.

[PQUOD]
Members
2,472 posts
5,678 battles
27 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

No.

The nosebleed is high in Gold. Always a bunch of cooks in the kitchen telling you how to fix your own meal. Particularly if you don't conform.

I am in Gold but cleaned up all availible awards with 15 wins or whatever. In a couple of days that season is finished. Back to bronze we go. And this time I'll make sure to stay in Bronze. Its just not worth the hassle.

What about ranking out in Gold? Forget it. I bounce between 10 and rank 7 in Gold and back to 10 again. back and forth. So victories have no meaning when 10 defeats erases the last 4 and puts you back to square one.

One more thought. It actually gets boring fighting the same old ships in Gold. Might as well go to Bronze or silver where you can fight a range of ships from players who have not yet learned to stick with just a few good ships.

Yeah, the qualifying round is all TX and I'm bored of it already. I liked playing my T9 ships as well.

And yeah the salt in this qualify is harsh. For Silver, everyone seemed to have fun.

45 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I've heard from a couple of very good players that they'd rather have stayed in Silver.  Don't complete quals and you'll still be in Silver for the next round.

Yeah, what I've read sums up the same too. 

Thanks for the info guys.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,828 posts
9,516 battles

I know WG will be a grinch and ruin this for me, but the way this test season of Ranked worked was ideal for me.

1) Reaching Silver Rank 1 gets you 500 steel, 300 doubloons, 3,000 coal, 3x bronze camos, and 3x silver camos.

2) 18 wins in Gold only gets you 400 steel, 400 doubloons, 3x bronze camos, 3x silver camos, and 8x gold camos. 

3) To get more steel from Gold than from Silver, you actually have to rank out in Gold, which I would not be able to do with any consistency from week to week and which is simply not worth the aggravation.

4) If I already had all the steel ships and coal ships, then going for 18 wins in Gold would be the best option, because the gold camos are really excellent, and you get an extra 100 doubloons vs. Silver.

5) But, if you don't have all the steel and coal ships, then ranking out in Silver is both less aggravation and gives you more 100 more steel and 3,000 more coal than going to Gold and hitting 18 wins, since 200 steel and 5,000 coal of the Gold rewards are locked behind Rank 1.

6) Some people have said this is more gameplay for less rewards than the old Ranked system. This is true in the sense that you get less rewards in a month of Ranked play now (assuming each 'season' ends up being a month long like the test one was) than you would have in a season of Ranked play under the old system; however, it sounds as though seasons of Ranked now will be back-to-back, so you are also getting two 'seasons' of the new Ranked system for every one season under the old system. As someone who is ranking out in Silver every week, in two months of play under this system I could get 4,000 steel and 2,400 doubloons. Under the old system I would have had to rank out to get rewards that good, and I only managed to rank out once under the old system, whereas I rank out of Silver every week under the new system by Friday. 

7) Critics say that this is still a lot more work for less rewards, but that's not quite true, because the Ranked play that I am doing now replaces what would have been Random Battles before, so effectively I am playing the same amount or less for more rewards.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,719 posts
5,286 battles

No way this was season's last sprint? 

Boomer, I'm missing it already... No statement about next one?

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
14 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

No way this was season's last sprint? 

Boomer, I'm missing it already... No statement about next one?

'Fraid so ... this was the 6th and final sprint of the first season ... ends Feb 1.  Haven't seen or heard anything about the next season yet.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/updates-to-ranked-battles/

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

By the way, if anyone's interested in what were the maximum rewards you could have gotten this past season ... I figured that out back in mid December

FIrst, you have to determine all the combinations of Bronze, Silver and Gold Sprints that could have been played ... there are 16 different "Scenarios"

From 6 Bronze all the way to 1 Bronze, 1 Silver and 4 Gold:

2sprintcount.jpg.3db2e2516776940dbbef07b5af78dcdf.jpg

Then take the Maximum Doubs, Steel, Coal, etc that could be won in each Sprint type ... including Ranking Out in that particular Sprint

1rankrewards.thumb.jpg.6d396933fc5aa171ed3df0d1126f2216.jpg

Then it's just a simple matter of multiplying the total rewards for each Sprint Type by the number of Sprints of that type in each of the Scenarios

4maxrewards.jpg.ceae1a9cfddc4c689bac26de8b20d58a.jpg

=================================================================================

Of course, this is just a mathematical answer ... not a practical one.  You really have to consider how likely it is that you'll complete AND rank out  in every Sprint for whatever Scenario is chosen.  @RainbowFartingUnicorn's post above probably provides more insight into that ...

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 3

[PVE]
Members
7,644 posts
23,655 battles
3 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

Yeah, the qualifying round is all TX and I'm bored of it already. I liked playing my T9 ships as well.

And yeah the salt in this qualify is harsh. For Silver, everyone seemed to have fun.

Yeah, what I've read sums up the same too. 

Thanks for the info guys.

Think you missed the main point (at this time anyway)...the season is over...

Even if you played the T10 only qualifying games to qualify for gold...you (like everybody else) will be starting Monday morning in bronze...

They should have all of the qualifying stages closed presently so people don't waste their time grinding through them only to end up in bronze Monday morning...

Guessing there's gonna be quite a few salty threads come then :cap_popcorn::Smile_popcorn:

[STAR]
Members
569 posts
21,326 battles

Ignoring the quality of gameplay in Silver and Gold leagues and taking in consideration only the rewards... Gold isnt worth it.

12 wins on Silver gives more rewards than 12 wins on Gold. Also, Gold league does give more doubloons and camos, but less steel for more grind and has less irrevocable ranks. The grind/rewards ratio for gold is considerable worse and the chances that it will lead for a game burnout is considerably higher even for the ones that love the game A LOT, since the player must do it over and over again every week to collect the rewards with a deadline of 7 days in mind.

• Cool 1

[DVYJC]
Members
3,828 posts
9,516 battles
49 minutes ago, Cpt_JM_Nascimento said:

Ignoring the quality of gameplay in Silver and Gold leagues and taking in consideration only the rewards... Gold isnt worth it.

12 wins on Silver gives more rewards than 12 wins on Gold. Also, Gold league does give more doubloons and camos, but less steel for more grind and has less irrevocable ranks. The grind/rewards ratio for gold is considerable worse and the chances that it will lead for a game burnout is considerably higher even for the ones that love the game A LOT, since the player must do it over and over again every week to collect the rewards with a deadline of 7 days in mind.

I'm concerned that this will change and that now that the test season will be over, silver rewards will get nerfed to force people into the gold grind to get meaningful rewards. 

WG wouldn't increase gold rewards to tempt people to do gold instead, they'll just nerf silver to force the same thing.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
2,472 posts
5,678 battles
6 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I'm concerned that this will change and that now that the test season will be over, silver rewards will get nerfed to force people into the gold grind to get meaningful rewards. 

WG wouldn't increase gold rewards to tempt people to do gold instead, they'll just nerf silver to force the same thing.

I am wondering worried about this as well now that players are rethinking their ranking strategy and whether gold is worth hitting.

Edited by xalmgrey

[W-P-E]
[W-P-E]
Members
350 posts
24,754 battles
5 hours ago, DocWalker said:

By the way, if anyone's interested in what were the maximum rewards you could have gotten this past season ... I figured that out back in mid December

FIrst, you have to determine all the combinations of Bronze, Silver and Gold Sprints that could have been played ... there are 16 different "Scenarios"

There are lot more scenarios since rank 1 is not guaranteed, but these 3 can be common:

1. 6 bronze 8 wins = 1800 steel

2. 1 bronze rank1, 5 silver 11 wins = 2400 steel, 700 dubs, 1000 coal

3. 1 bronze rank1, 1 silver rank1, 4 gold 18 wins = 2500 steel, 2100 dubs, 4000 coal

Edited by o4x4
  • Cool 1

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
762 posts
19 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

MM is drunk or there are shenanigans going on.  Go to 8.1 back to 10 go to 8.1 back to 10 go to 8.1 back to 10.....and on and on and on.   Get good is the cry!  I have really no impact to the match and we win, I do considerably well in a match we loose, over and over and over, save a star oh doesn't matter rank 10....and on and on.   I have had some really fun games but since I cant seem to advance I'm done, tired of beating my head against a wall.   BB's having a convention on the A and J line.  DD's yoloing, If you win with a team you should have the option to play with that team for the next match.   

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,324 posts

Its not the MM or drunk etc...

Im at rank 7 in Gold we had 3 victories in a row.

Just as easily can see 7 defeats in a short time tonight right back to rank 10 in gold.

The problem is that stars given in ranked gold is not irrevocable. So you bounce back and bounce forth and back and forth and back and forth.

EFF THAT. Stay in silver or Bronze. Its a better more rewarding experience. As far as the 18 victories for the rewards in steel and doubleloons... been there done that days ago. Like on tuesday or something. The rest of this week in gold (My second) is back and forth and back and forth. Same old frothy [edited].

[KUK-M]
Members
24 posts
25,555 battles

The problem is not rewards.  It's quite boring after 2 or 3 weeks.  It's quite repetitive.  Not many maps and there are only 7 ships so not much to do.  I finished gold qualification with 52 wr but now only 44-45 wr because lost interest and only wants win rewards and not interested in rank out.  It should be permanent ranking system and making some leagues with current random battles will be better.  And also in 7 vs 7, CV is too powerful.  Just give permanent ranking points according to ship tier, rank in battle, and leagues.  And give awards according to the rank.  Also if a player is afk for more than 3 mins or disconnected then replace with a bot. 

[WAIFU]
Members
853 posts
11,426 battles

i miss old rank. it felt actually worth getting a jolly rodger and a ton of steel at least. But i guess game economy over player enjoyment.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,324 posts
4 hours ago, Suzutsuki_Kai said:

i miss old rank. it felt actually worth getting a jolly rodger and a ton of steel at least. But i guess game economy over player enjoyment.

I have a frayed red jolly roger with the white bones etc.

I got that ranking out on the first short 3x3 sprint featuring the virgin Pommern just fresh from purchasing. Next thing I did was rank out all the way through.

The next 3x3 I took the Pommern out and settled in to crit everyone and delete DD's

Nope.

I was the one first deleted running into torps. I was already dead on detection and they fired to where I will be at..

IF that didnt do it it was all three firing HE or AP at my Pom until she just blew up or burned down with 10 miles to go to get into center bases. I learned some things were changed that month and put the dear Pom away. She would be my Diane from Jack and Diane music from long ago. But now she is just a target ship to be farmed fast to zero.

• Haha 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,781 posts
14,741 battles

Well, guys like me who top out from in the rank 7-9 range actually got more steel with the  ew ranked system. Yeah,the worth of pushing to the top is considerably diminished.

And yes, my time in ranked replaced my time in randoms.

That having been said, I’m tired of the new ranked. It took up 2/3 of my WoWs time, and all of my line grinds and line resets suffered. The other third of my time was taken up with Hizen, Strasbourg, and the Ships and Fates grinds. And tgen there has been the captain re-bone.

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles

Stay out of gold if you value your sanity. It is not worth it, it is not fun, the rewards are garbage compared to the effort, the absolute trash managed to fail their way up to that league. It is simply an awful experience. 

[-N-]
Beta Testers
191 posts
5,187 battles
On 1/30/2021 at 7:54 AM, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

1) Reaching Silver Rank 1 gets you 500 steel, 300 doubloons, 3,000 coal, 3x bronze camos, and 3x silver camos.

2) 18 wins in Gold only gets you 400 steel, 400 doubloons, 3x bronze camos, 3x silver camos, and 8x gold camos. 

wait... so you can reach rank 1 silver and get those rewards ? wont reaching rank 1 put you in gold next round of rank battles?

[DVYJC]
Members
3,828 posts
9,516 battles
1 hour ago, reza577 said:

wait... so you can reach rank 1 silver and get those rewards ? wont reaching rank 1 put you in gold next round of rank battles?

No, after you reach Rank 1 you have to win enough battles to pass the qualifiers for Gold , which is I think another five net wins. Rank 1 is irrevocable though, so it's just play Ranked after that until you have a net +5 wins.