You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Qilang

Buffalo

46 comments in this topic

[HAI]
Members
200 posts

I think it is the worst T9 cruiser. 

No armor, sluggish, rudder shift time is a joke. Feel like a BB w/o armor.

It just sucks.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
310 posts
7,286 battles

It's an excellent cruiser; problem is, you can't play it the way you play the ships that come before and after it and expect the best outcome.

It excels in open water; if you play it bow-in, island humping you're often going to be unable to bring those rear two turrets to bear, and that additional firepower is what makes the Buffalo amazing!

It also works in open water because the citadel is harder to hit than the Baltimore and Des Moines when kiting -- take a look at the difference between them in the armor viewer when you get a chance.

Don't be fooled by the fact that it has radar -- it's not a boat that does well pushing caps early on. You do not want to be the focus of enemy attention in the early game.

Try it out with range mod as an open water kiting cruiser, and make sure you switch to AP anytime the situation calls for it as 12 guns with American AP can be disgustingly powerful!

• Cool 2

[BOTO]
Members
1,459 posts
17,426 battles
40 minutes ago, Qilang said:

It just sucks.

I humbly submit you don't know how to play USN cruisers.

No armor?  Compare her armor to Ibuki, Neptune, Drake, St. Louis, etc.  She actually has better armor and a better armor scheme than pretty much any of the tech tree Tier 9 cruisers.

Rudder shift?  Pretty typical for a CA, nothing bad or good about it.

She's actually a good cruiser, you just have to know how to play her.

Members
7,021 posts
21,815 battles
16 minutes ago, HTSMetal said:

It's an excellent cruiser; problem is, you can't play it the way you play the ships that come before and after it and expect the best outcome.

It excels in open water; if you play it bow-in, island humping you're often going to be unable to bring those rear two turrets to bear, and that additional firepower is what makes the Buffalo amazing!

It also works in open water because the citadel is harder to hit than the Baltimore and Des Moines when kiting -- take a look at the difference between them in the armor viewer when you get a chance.

Don't be fooled by the fact that it has radar -- it's not a boat that does well pushing caps early on. You do not want to be the focus of enemy attention in the early game.

Try it out with range mod as an open water kiting cruiser, and make sure you switch to AP anytime the situation calls for it as 12 guns with American AP can be disgustingly powerful!

It is not an excellent cruiser.

[PT]
Members
1,018 posts
3,036 battles

Mine was cursed, around 30% win rate and appalling luck. Never see than many in game these days as most people dislike it.

Good guns and AA, bow on armour is effective but one hit from a tier 10 BB ruins your day.

[WOLF2]
Members
310 posts
7,286 battles
3 minutes ago, Pura__Vida said:

If you don't believe so, you aren't playing it correctly.

Members
7,021 posts
21,815 battles
7 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

No armor?  Compare her armor to Ibuki, Neptune, Drake, St. Louis, etc.  She actually has better armor and a better armor scheme than pretty much any of the tech tree Tier 9 cruisers.

No.

[WOLFC]
Members
252 posts
10,316 battles
1 hour ago, Qilang said:

Nope, Seattle is.

• Cool 2

[HAI]
Members
200 posts
20 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Mine was cursed, around 30% win rate and appalling luck. Never see than many in game these days as most people dislike it.

Good guns and AA, bow on armour is effective but one hit from a tier 10 BB ruins your day.

only from T10 BB? a random shell from T7 can do 10k+ dmg on it, with ease.

[HAI]
Members
200 posts
36 minutes ago, HTSMetal said:

open water? lol, I don't think so.

yes, it's a little better after adding range mod. Still, I am not a fan at all. Balti is way better, handles like a cruiser.

[HAI]
Members
200 posts
30 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

to be fair  all cruisers don't have armor when facing t9+ BB. 

I like Balti, even New Orleans. But Buffalo? lol, what a joke it is.

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,523 posts
1 hour ago, Qilang said:

It just sucks.

T9 have to be played very carfully.

Buffalo is great open water.

[SGSS]
Members
5,523 posts
45 minutes ago, HTSMetal said:

From Pency on I stick with AP.  They get surprise when you send 10 guns of American AP. 

Members
7,021 posts
21,815 battles
19 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

Excellent argument against her.  Nice job.

lols my ranked game started and i had to run. kek.

The Buffalo is terrible, because you and any other player can make it work doesn't mean it's good. It means you are a good player. 

The ship is terrible by every measurable statistic in the game. Don't confuse your skill with ship quality. Now, compare your cruisers at tier nine to your Buffalo, and tell me where it stacks up?

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,514 posts
4,771 battles
43 minutes ago, Pura__Vida said:

It is an excellent cruiser.  I have to admit that coming from Baltimore and Salem, I hated Buffalo at first. Then I figured out how to use her.  Don't do cap support, except at range.  Strike spotted cruisers and DDs.  Survive into late game.  Then, "Hello distracted BB? Bye-bye."

[PPNA2]
Members
521 posts
6,997 battles
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

It is an excellent cruiser.  I have to admit that coming from Baltimore and Salem, I hated Buffalo at first. Then I figured out how to use her.  Don't do cap support, except at range.  Strike spotted cruisers and DDs.  Survive into late game.  Then, "Hello distracted BB? Bye-bye."

Ducky how did you pick capt skills? Can not figure out whats best for cruisers. I like Buffalo.

Edited by TwoLate51

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,295 posts
8,554 battles

The Buffalo has (IMO) the best guns of any Tier 9 cruiser, including the large cruisers.  The only thing holding it back is the limited range and sluggish handling.  It's not a great ship, but it's also not a bad ship.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,514 posts
4,771 battles
1 minute ago, TwoLate51 said:

Ducky how did you pick capt skills? Can not figure out whats best for cruisers. I like Buffalo.

Sorry, I haven't yet.  Too busy with the wiki.  Actually, the recommended skills, with the possible exceptions of DE and PT, don't look bad.

Members
7,021 posts
21,815 battles
15 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I don't care what you do with it. it's terrible.

Don't even try to tell me how to play it. the reason it's stats are so bad is because it's so bad.

[BOTO]
Members
1,459 posts
17,426 battles
28 minutes ago, Pura__Vida said:

lols my ranked game started and i had to run. kek.

The Buffalo is terrible, because you and any other player can make it work doesn't mean it's good. It means you are a good player. 

The ship is terrible by every measurable statistic in the game. Don't confuse your skill with ship quality. Now, compare your cruisers at tier nine to your Buffalo, and tell me where it stacks up?

Your own argument works against you.  Don't confuse an inability to play a ship with it not being a good ship.

Good armor, good guns, good consumables.  She has her strengths and weaknesses just like any other tech tree cruiser at that tier but there's nothing about her that makes her a bad ship overall in comparison to her peers.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,514 posts
4,771 battles
Just now, Pura__Vida said:

I don't care what you do with it. it's terrible.

Don't even try to tell me how to play it. the reason it's stats are so bad is because it's so bad.

Can't be you.  It's gotta be the boat.  I get it.

• Cool 2

[BOTO]
Members
1,459 posts
17,426 battles
4 minutes ago, yashma said:

The Buffalo has (IMO) the best guns of any Tier 9 cruiser, including the large cruisers.  The only thing holding it back is the limited range and sluggish handling.  It's not a great ship, but it's also not a bad ship.

As good a synopsis of Buffalo as any.