You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

How to descale Power creep?... Nerf ship builds

13 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
6,535 posts
5,215 battles

In order to keep the game fresh, new stuff/gimmicks/mechanics get induced into games. This usually leads to Power creep, which is a somewhat inevitable phenomenon in most time enduring games. One way of dealing with Power creep is what we are currently seeing with the captain skills, builds are less effective than before.

The "devaluation" in performance is a way to set back the clock of power creeping and IMO it isn't inherently a bad thing to happen. Is a soft nerf to ship performance across the board, and the new skill tree design obviously sets the frame to further ways to tweak/adjust ship performance. In short, consider the skill rework also under the light of stalling Power creep.

Before you start with "X skill is OP/Garbage", my answer to you is: We are doing live testing, keep calm and play along.

Before you start with "look at CVs, they have solved nothing in 2 years", my answer to you is: Issues are different, tracing a direct comparison is unfair. CV root problem is conceptual, Skills just need balance.

Before you start with ":etc_swear:you, you :etc_swear: go to :etc_swear:and :etc_swear:yourself", my answer to you is: it's Ok dude, I've been there and they sent me back.

So this in short is my take on the issue "before vs now performance"

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,543 posts
10,689 battles

People are saying that you don't get more for two more points (and 1.2 million ECXP).

I think that is WG's point.  They don't want us to get more (for more).

[KWF]
Members
5,544 posts
6,848 battles

Balance and powercreep isn't the point as it is obviously subject to change. 

It's the new infrastructure and monetization that's the true issue.

[SALVO]
Members
6,535 posts
5,215 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

It's the new infrastructure and monetization that's the true issue.

While this is undeniably true, monetization schemes have as much power as you allow them to have.

I can't blame them for trying to "convince me" to spend money in the game, I just say "no, thank you" and keep playing my way. What's important here is that falling for monetization is always optional, not a requirement to play the game.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
6,535 posts
5,215 battles
18 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

People are saying that you don't get more for two more points (and 1.2 million ECXP).

Precisely :cap_like: 

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles

I see your point, but I just don't see WG doing it. Older ships, especially KMS ones, were powercrept by Thunderers and Conquerors. 

WG solution: nerf powercrept ships and buff Thunderers and Conquerors.

And it doesn't matter that we are live testing using our own accounts and even paying to do so in so cases. The mere fact that WG has even done that without stopping for one second to think of what the hell they were doing and dismissing any criticism and feedback shows that they have no idea of what they are doing, also meaning they are incapable of fixing things.

[WORX]
Members
12,420 posts
19,697 battles

IMO, we have to look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we want to tolerate WG's power creep products.

16 hours ago, OrangXiauH said:

一个人给了我们一把大口径和长射程的枪和剑。这把枪可以穿透任何装甲,射击时找不到。他说:我会用每把用这些武器杀死的船给你10美元,但是如果你死了,你将不会得到更多的钱。因此,我们学会了互相狙击,但随后他说,这是因为您喜欢狙击,所以您不拿剑。不是说剑不容易使用。如果要更改现状,则必须取下那把枪,而不是添加更多剑

One person gave us a large-caliber and long-range gun and sword. This gun can penetrate any armor and cannot be found when shooting. He said: I will give you 10 dollars for each boat killed with these weapons, but if you die, you will not get more money. Therefore, we learned to snipe each other, but then he said, this is because you like to snipe, so you don't take swords. Not that swords are not easy to use. If you want to change the status quo, you must remove the gun instead of adding more swords

If this is the correct translation then, I agree with the logic behind it.. 

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles
23 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Two things here.

First, WG advertised that we were getting more. Even in the streams they come with the excuse that they saw people asking for more skill points.

Secondly, we are not even stuck in the same place, let alone getting more. We are getting less and we have to grind an insane new wall of grind for that, and again contrary to what had been advertised.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,535 posts
5,215 battles
1 minute ago, WarStore said:

I see your point, but I just don't see WG doing it. Older ships, especially KMS ones, were powercrept by Thunderers and Conquerors. 

WG solution: nerf powercrept ships and buff Thunderers and Conquerors.

And I can perfectly see them in some months nerfing the sniper related skills and buffing the brawling skill to shake the meta again... and 2 patches later buff cruiser survivability  while nerfing HE spam... some patches later reverting everything again to sniper meta. The skills are a perfect tool to shape and steer the meta in whatever way they intend, it just happens that the flavor of this season is Snipers, but I doubt that flavor will remain on sale for an extended period of time.

7 minutes ago, WarStore said:

And it doesn't matter that we are live testing using our own accounts and even paying to do so in so cases. The mere fact that WG has even done that without stopping for one second to think of what the hell they were doing and dismissing any criticism and feedback shows that they have no idea of what they are doing, also meaning they are incapable of fixing things.

IMO live testing is cheaper and faster, or at least that's why they think. After all this is a game and nothing transcendental is at risk, no lives will be lost if the test goes wrong. I have no problem with doing live testing, but I understand that's just my own personal opinion.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,543 posts
10,689 battles
5 minutes ago, WarStore said:

Two things here.

First, WG advertised that we were getting more. Even in the streams they come with the excuse that they saw people asking for more skill points.

Secondly, we are not even stuck in the same place, let alone getting more. We are getting less and we have to grind an insane new wall of grind for that, and again contrary to what had been advertised.

They said more choices (not good, just more) not more power (sans DE, they haven't really added more power).  And yes at best we get back to where we were (for an admitted insane wall of grind), but I don't know that they advertised we would get back to where we were.

It is completely weasely (if that isn't a word, it should be), but increasing the cost for at best no increase in power seems to be the one of WG's goals.  Not stated goals.

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles
5 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

They said more choices (not good, just more) not more power (sans DE, they haven't really added more power).  And yes at best we get back to where we were (for an admitted insane wall of grind), but I don't know that they advertised we would get back to where we were.

It is completely weasely (if that isn't a word, it should be), but increasing the cost for at best no increase in power seems to be the one of WG's goals.  Not stated goals.

Which was also complete and utter failure.

By the way, WG actually used the word "effective". They said our current 19pts captains wouldn't be less effective, also meaning the two extra points would make them more effective. But we got the exact opposite, as WG lied to our faces.

We got less powerful and with even fewer choices. I don't know about WG, but that clearly isn't my definition of more. 

And judging by the comments of some of the staff, they don't even realize the full extent of the changes. Crysantos tried really hard to sugar coat deadeye yesterday, and he only proved he doesn't understand the skill.

Edited by WarStore

[SALVO]
Members
6,535 posts
5,215 battles
17 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

IMO, we have to look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we want to tolerate WG's power creep products.

One person gave us a large-caliber and long-range gun and sword. This gun can penetrate any armor and cannot be found when shooting. He said: I will give you 10 dollars for each boat killed with these weapons, but if you die, you will not get more money. Therefore, we learned to snipe each other, but then he said, this is because you like to snipe, so you don't take swords. Not that swords are not easy to use. If you want to change the status quo, you must remove the gun instead of adding more swords

If this is the correct translation then, I agree with the logic behind it.. 

IF you want to change... IMO, the changes happening are exactly the ones intended.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,702 posts
14,866 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Oh, you do get more but I don't think that not having those two more points is a deal breaker except maybe for the most extreme min/max players. For everyone else they provide another skill or two depending on choice that while nice are not necessary to do well.