Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Target_1

Little Swedish Destroyers

12 comments in this topic

Members
71 posts
6,890 battles

So, I like the little Swedish destroyers and play them quite a bit.  I play them in a way that I think makes sense but seems to aggravate some of my team-mates.

The little Swedish DDs don't have smoke, aren't that fast, don't have the best concealment, and their guns aren't likely to win too many duels... but, they DO have great AA and fairly long range zippy fast torpedos.

I have taken this to mean that the best way to play them is "ideally" don't push like contesting caps and such... and try to never get spotted.  Use the long range speedy torps to kill or scare away the enemies in the area you want and then move in once they are gone.

I have found that getting in duels with almost any ship with these fragile little fellows usually ends in death... so it's best to play more of a cat and mouse game.

Am I smart? or just doing it wrong.

[--O--]
Members
994 posts

They are what the shima use to be until its torps got nerfed.... This time wegee built a shima with torps prenerfed for damage but actually game them good reload speed.

So play the ship as an old shima, spotting and torping. Try to play so you never get detected but inflict a death of a thousand noodles on the other team.

Run RPF at all times and most importantly know where the Russian Cruisers are and stay out of the 12k radar range.

Gun fights, RPF has helped me win more than one battle with another dd, i know where they are and have guns and torps on the way or ready.

[SIMP]
Members
1,629 posts

I think most people who get mad at you for playing these DDs as you do have never played them, otherwise they would know these ships are very restricted to what they can and cannot do.

The major downfall they have is lack of smoke. While French DDs can make up for this major shortcoming with speed and guns, along with good torpedoes (see next sentence), the Swedish DDs don't have any of this, on top of that...

THEIR TORPEDOES ARE TERRIBLE. They hit like wet noodles. The ONLY advantage they have is reload time, and even that is not spectacular. 

So yes, is seems obvious to those playing Swedish DDs, that they should be long range stealth torp spammers. It's just not so obvious to those who have never played them as to why the these DD drivers play it so differently from all other DDs.

[WKY09]
Members
31 posts
53 minutes ago, Target_1 said:

So, I like the little Swedish destroyers and play them quite a bit.  I play them in a way that I think makes sense but seems to aggravate some of my team-mates.

The little Swedish DDs don't have smoke, aren't that fast, don't have the best concealment, and their guns aren't likely to win too many duels... but, they DO have great AA and fairly long range zippy fast torpedos.

I have taken this to mean that the best way to play them is "ideally" don't push like contesting caps and such... and try to never get spotted.  Use the long range speedy torps to kill or scare away the enemies in the area you want and then move in once they are gone.

I have found that getting in duels with almost any ship with these fragile little fellows usually ends in death... so it's best to play more of a cat and mouse game.

Overall assessment:  The line isn't very good from about t3/t4 up to t8.  t8 is so so, but t9 isn't bad.  t10 is pretty good.  The grind to t8 wasn't much fun but certainly isn't the worst in the game by far.  t9 is the first in the line, however, that gives you any kind of inkling what Halland is like though.  Halland is worth the grind.

Guns.  No you won't win too many gun fights with other gun boats, but the guns are pretty good.  Not the best, but pretty good.  I love the ballistics on them and their damage is not bad.  They're not your primary function so look at them as being the cherry on top.  If you find yourself in a position to pepper a CA or BB they're great fun.  You'll smack around other torp boats too.  Try not to get into outright gun fights with other gun boats.

Torps.  They don't individually pack much of a punch, but you can land a lot of them, and reload is excellent.  Halland, is if anything, a great reactionary force on the field.  Can easily close gaps when other boats with slower torpedos are unable to do so.   Torping is your primary function and Halland does it very well.

AA.  is excellent but don't expect to remain unscathed in all circumstances.

Edited by Phearal

[WOLFC]
Members
2,302 posts
54 minutes ago, Target_1 said:

Ur doing it fine.  People who insist DD's always cap don't understand the class that well.    Oh, and don't discount those torps - land a few on a BB and they hurt.

[KWF]
Members
5,584 posts
6,884 battles

You got a Repair Party, it's not bad to get some use out of it. 

So yeah, you can cap, take a bit of damage, heal and maybe try again later, or engage isolated DDs with low HP.

The guns are no slouch, and to be honest torping from the back all the time gets boring and reduces you chances of more hits close up.

Edited by warheart1992

[SALVO]
Members
26,051 posts
28,775 battles
16 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

I think most people who get mad at you for playing these DDs as you do have never played them, otherwise they would know these ships are very restricted to what they can and cannot do.

The major downfall they have is lack of smoke. While French DDs can make up for this major shortcoming with speed and guns, along with good torpedoes (see next sentence), the Swedish DDs don't have any of this, on top of that...

THEIR TORPEDOES ARE TERRIBLE. They hit like wet noodles. The ONLY advantage they have is reload time, and even that is not spectacular. 

So yes, is seems obvious to those playing Swedish DDs, that they should be long range stealth torp spammers. It's just not so obvious to those who have never played them as to why the these DD drivers play it so differently from all other DDs.

Their torpedo damage is weak.  However, you can get lots of hits with them due to their great speed.  And you have a pretty solid chance of starting sticky floods.  If you see that a target on which you've started a flood put it out, tell your team mates that that target used his DCP and try to get them to spam some HE at said target.  You can also spam some HE yourself, if you're in a relatively safe position to do so.  Or maybe send out another wave of torps.  

It's also worth noting that while Swedish torps don't hit hard enough to dev strike BBs, they do hit hard enough to dev strike regular cruisers and DDs.  

I'm not that bothered by their lack of smoke.  I think that too many people can't deal with smokeless DDs and are either unwilling or incapable of adapting to smokeless DD game play.  

[USCG]
Members
737 posts
22,533 battles

Not sure how far up the line you are but T8 - T10 are strong gun boats. I just re-ground this line and had a great time doing so!  Torps are super fast and long range. They don’t hit hard but they keep folks on their toes. The repair comes in very handy. 

I found it best to sit back a bit and let things develop some before you go charging into the action. Your torps are great for catching enemy DDs trying to cap. Fire from max range into ares where you think they might be. Rewards will be received...

Good luck!

Members
744 posts
72 battles
50 minutes ago, Target_1 said:

You are not totally wrong. At start use you AA to protect the flank and use torps to hold of enemy push, if their DD is insane and want to push you just let him, you have DPM and Heals. Later on you can play more and more agressive, This is the most common mistake of all DD players, they feel the need to contest cap directly when enemy CV, enemy DD, enemy Radars are in full effect. better let them have the cap the first 3 min and risk their DDs life and then u return after a min and cap it without risk.

Heres a couple of games in Östergötland.

Your short gun range is your saving grace. Never ever build for longer gun range, that will get you killed. You live for close up short brawls and when they smoke up because you are killing them, you go undetected.

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts

Ignore the haters and armchair Admirals you see in this game.

I;ve been reported for not helping teammates with a smoke screen in my Halland.

99% of the people screaming for DDs to cap etc are the BBs in the back that think you need to speedboost into the cap in the first 2 minutes. Then they have tantrums if you die trying it.

Play your ship as it is designed and ignore the rest.

I have seen people have disturbingly intense tantrums if you don't obey them in this game.

Mostly from rear campers and dead ships.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,913 posts
18,081 battles

They are flanking DD’s. Load radio location and spray caps with torpedos. Stay undetected.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,264 posts

I run the Shima. She has her limitations in the game which are increased limits or nerfs since the beginning with this one. I do not run 20km torps. Noobs make this mistake. You can see them coming a mile away. Hoping maybe to get a AFK'er or something in his square sitting still that deep into the territory. A workaround is similar to a gearing 16km torps and the 12.'s They load faster. I am working on getting a RB module that cuts down the reloading even more. Depending on results I might start using 8km torps and get into knife fighting distance so that these really fast torps get to the enemy before said enemy can do anything.

I also own the Smaland and have some respect for these little DD's Torps are not much, more of a annoyance than anything. I think scardey-cat players mentally assign any inbound torps with a 60 Mt warhead that will eliminate half their team as it closes the distance out of fear.

Radar ships are first paid attention to. As long you know where they are at all time, their current radar cool down status and so forth you can make opportunities. In some situations I don't give a fig for all the radars in the world detecting me. Whats about to happen with all the torps outbound is essentially murder the enemy is already dead, just need to resolve the strikes, damage and so on.

I generally don't use DD's without smoke, however there are possibilities. The situation gets increasingly stressful when fighting humans in the game on red team. All the old DD stuff is out the window so you have to come up with something else. For me that something else is related to getting inside so and so's head and understanding whats possible to him or her and get it confirmed by the behavior of his ship as he tries to close the distance with you. Changing course to stay with you via RDF etc. You can lure those in like a lollipop to a baby. They think they are hunting you dur her her but nope it's you setting up the ideal killing ground.

That really messes with them sometimes. However what messes me up is someone who thinks like I do in battle and there is no telling what will happen. Both teams are pretty much on their own at that point. Thats the last thought with DD's the battle situation flowing through the mind in thoughts and decisions can generate a tunnel vision on a enemy or three and you can have a three ring Barnum Circus parade past the main deck and you will never notice. (Figure of speech)

The one problem that will never change is that when you take off to deal with Eltoro and his DD or two your team will rack up reports against you all day for everything that you did not do what was expected. There is a problem with that. You play your game your way. This game is not with 10 bosses telling you must go here at this speed and put smoke there to there and so forth. It dont work that way. If you are lucky, the battle is over and done before those in the far back busily typing away seeking to get you banned dont have the time to finish the process.

Edited by xHeavy

Sign in to follow this