You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kaigun_Toronaga

Nerf Smol??

33 comments in this topic

[PROA]
Members
104 posts
17,135 battles
Before the update, Smolensk had a range of 19km, today 16km.
It loses to T9 and T10 cruisers. Thank you WG.

• Haha 3
  • Boring 6
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,021 posts
9,919 battles
2 minutes ago, Kaigun_Toronaga said:

It loses to T9 and T10 cruisers.

Then the nerf was needed, because any ship should be able to lose to ships it as against.

I thank WG as well.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 2

[PROA]
Members
104 posts
17,135 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Then the nerf was needed, because any ship should be able to lose to ships it as against.

I thank WG as well.

Typical comment of who does not have this ship huahuhuahua
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,021 posts
9,919 battles
1 minute ago, Kaigun_Toronaga said:

Typical comment of who does not have this ship huahuhuahua

So you think Smolensk should be invincible to T9 and T10 cruisers?

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

Members
747 posts
72 battles
12 minutes ago, Kaigun_Toronaga said:

Post nerf Smol

shot-21_01.27_22_07.29-0094.thumb.jpg.16bdd32b75c0fb6f599e4ba25c37d2d3.jpg

shot-21_01.27_22_07.33-0493.thumb.jpg.1815b39ddf24f591b391e897d9949bb0.jpg

shot-21_01.24_21_48.15-0617.thumb.jpg.a0da720dfd2d82a45c91d4186e143e1c.jpg

shot-21_01.24_21_48.19-0893.thumb.jpg.47beac074a72b8bffd5c31835d2616bb.jpg

shot-21_01.24_20_45.43-0474.thumb.jpg.e8fee7a7e3372d6bf1f3e848cca0c10c.jpg

shot-21_01.24_20_45.48-0465.thumb.jpg.f11ca4f71288016bbb10d46261521ffd.jpg

Considering Smol does mostly chip damage over long time it seems more like all Dead Eye T10 Bbs has been nerfed since they cant outdamage a nerfed Smol. And these are me playing 16 km Smol for the first time, so this is my "adjustment period".

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,275 posts

Smol is a troll . It either takes no damage or gets deleted instantly. As far as fire power...flame throwers a come to mind . Haven't had a bad game in mine . You have to use it wisely . Or you will get punished.

• Cool 1

Members
629 posts
12,602 battles

Being able to more easily adjust the balance of whole classes is, I’m sure, the main point of the commander skill rework. The old skill system had, essentially, zero tools to make a type more or less powerful without making all types of ships that used a skill more or less powerful.

The player base (largely BB players it seeems) cries out for less HE spam and now it’s easier for that to occur without having to adjust the individual properties of every single ship to accomplish the same end (like what happened with ifhe rework).

If ships like Smolensk (and Austin and Colbert, et al) end up especially unusable then they will probably receive individual buffs to bring them back to the parity that WG wants for them. I don’t really see that happening since they can still play in their style without dominating matches the way they used to, but if they need adjusting further I don’t doubt they will get it.

But I would never expect a particular ship to be dominant forever.

Edited by Spirit_of_76

Members
802 posts
12,909 battles
26 minutes ago, Kaigun_Toronaga said:

Good

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,973 posts
12,778 battles

I’m pretty sure you’re not playing Smolensk correctly. They buffed Smolensk’s damage output this patch. If you catch a dd witching 10km now, dear lord is it nasty.

[V_V_V]
Members
946 posts
16,826 battles
40 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

So you think Smolensk should be invincible to T9 and T10 cruisers?

It wasn't then; it isn't now.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,021 posts
9,919 battles
19 minutes ago, Darmokattenagra said:

I've only used 16km smol. I've been happy with it

It's like Omaha back in the day. I loved that ship, but didn't have a skilled enough captain to use the AFT that everybody was so upset about losing.....

[WOLFG]
Members
32,021 posts
9,919 battles
1 minute ago, Charon2018 said:

It wasn't then; it isn't now.

The OP seems to have thought it was.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,404 posts
10,628 battles
1 hour ago, Kaigun_Toronaga said:

Funny how Mogami 155 was nerfed not only in its range but also in its turret rotation speed and it was considered 'fair' . 

I'm still waiting for smolensk fantasy guns to lose much rotation speed though. 

• Cool 2

[REKTD]
Members
533 posts
10,704 battles
19 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

Funny how Mogami 155 was nerfed not only in its range but also in its turret rotation speed and it was considered 'fair' . 

I'm still waiting for smolensk fantasy guns to lose much rotation speed though. 

Haha, it’s Soviet, so it has “special Russian technologies”. 
But Smolensk is no where near the monster it is often claimed to be. Yes, one can dominate, but I usually find when the reds have a Smolensk- we get an easy kill. They can’t take a hit for anything. So they want to sit in that smoke and spam? RoF is so fast and traceable that I can delete them with blind shots.

Smolensk is no worse than many gimmicky ships when played correctly to their strengths, such as JB, French DDs, stealth DDs etc.

Edited by SuperComm4
  • Cool 1

[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
2 hours ago, Kaigun_Toronaga said:

Hello from my Tier X Minotaur with 15.8km range and no HE. :Smile-_tongue:

• Haha 1

[FORM]
Members
2,132 posts
13,049 battles
2 hours ago, Kaigun_Toronaga said:

Before the update, Smolensk had a range of 19km, today 16km. It loses to T9 and T10 cruisers. Thank you WG.

It was pretty clear to most of us that one of the goals of the captain rework was to nerf premium & special ships that WG thought were over performing. The Smol was definitely one of those ships. And most of the community thought she well deserved a nerf. Was it too much? Perhaps... time will tell, I'm sure they've got spreadsheets from the play test that 10.0 has become. 

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,404 posts
10,628 battles
2 hours ago, SuperComm4 said:

Haha, it’s Soviet, so it has “special Russian technologies”. 
But Smolensk is no where near the monster it is often claimed to be. Yes, one can dominate, but I usually find when the reds have a Smolensk- we get an easy kill. They can’t take a hit for anything. So they want to sit in that smoke and spam? RoF is so fast and traceable that I can delete them with blind shots.

Smolensk is no worse than many gimmicky ships when played correctly to their strengths, such as JB, French DDs, stealth DDs etc.

It was a monster because of the 18km range and the specially designed armor it had that didnt allow shells to detonate in it (impossible to citadel by most bbs) and the still present magical tracers that spawn a hundred meters away from the ship.... or the fact it is very small and can quickly move inside the smoke,etc,etc. 

At least now with the range drop and the armor change you can HE citadel them with BBs it is no longer the monster it was.

All I'm pointing out is that the Mogami 155 was in the exact same position at tier 8 long ago and it got double-nerfed directly in the GUNS whereas smolensk now only got nerfed in range. Armor and size is irrelevant since in comparison mogami is much bigger and easier to citadel and it can't smoke. 

Reduce smolenk's turret rotation to match other T10 cruiser turret rotation. After all, that many gun barrels of that caliber must weigh significantly more than the much lower but bigger gun barrels of the other cruisers. 

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
5,750 posts
9,263 battles

Ships aren't immune to global changes, be they tech tree, premium, or special. Smolensk isn't the only one to feel some pain in the rework.

• Meh 2

[V_V_V]
Members
946 posts
16,826 battles
20 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

It was a monster because of the 18km range

Actually, 13.8 km to start, boostable to 19.2 km with combined GFCS Mod 2 upgrade (16 km) and AFT commander skill (16.6 km).

Edited by Charon2018
add text

[REKTD]
Members
533 posts
10,704 battles
2 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

All I'm pointing out is that the Mogami 155 was in the exact same position at tier 8 long ago and it got double-nerfed directly in the GUNS whereas smolensk now only got nerfed in range. Armor and size is irrelevant since in comparison mogami is much bigger and easier to citadel and it can't smoke. 

Reduce smolenk's turret rotation to match other T10 cruiser turret rotation. After all, that many gun barrels of that caliber must weigh significantly more than the much lower but bigger gun barrels of the other cruisers. 

I feel your Mogami pain for sure, and agree. I wish they did not nerf ships like that. Some ships were pretty good, and Mogami already had the citadel and low hp values already, so they should have let it be. Now you have me really wishing I had tried the 19km range for Smolensk. I had gone for the 16.3km range, and lower reload times: it sounds like I may have missed out big time.

Smolensk is, turrets-wise, harder to nerf because it was designed to be an AA cruiser in line with Atlanta and Minotaur. They have fast traverse too, but to your point Smolensk “feels” faster. Not looked at the actual rates though. But as Smolensk I have, on many occasions, been deleted in a single salvo, by T8s, T9s, and T10s. Even deleted by cruisers. It’s magic has some limits.

Edited by SuperComm4

[UNCLN]
Members
58 posts
8,050 battles

Smolensk is my new port queen.

Can't really live with 16km range in random so it is one of my reason to decide to take a break.

To be honest I am more happy with much more time playing Kancollle, Azurlane and other mobile game.

• Cool 1

[KIA-C]
Members
3,631 posts
16,106 battles

Smolensk works fine with 16km range. But since the introduction of Deadeye, BB just stay behind CV when they can and cruiser aren't really eager to move either (and some cruiser now loses a lot of concealment for that extra 10% HE DPM). Only DD are there trying to cap but then get harassed by CVs.

The only ships right now that doesn't really suffer from the meta are long range ship.