Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
StoptheViolins

More than 2 DDs in COOP is Too Many

89 comments in this topic

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,460 posts

Yup. Time for another call to limit the number of DDs in COOP to 2. I've been in too many matches with 3 or 4 DDs and if they are half way decent they walk away with a lions share of the kills before I can even get guns on target.  Either they spam smoke and ruin the spotting for me, or take advantage of the AI's blind logic and rush torp them.

2 seem nice, 3 is torpedo soup, 4 turns it into torpedo stew. It's kind of hard to use COOP for it's intended purpose of testing builds (tm) if there are no targets.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 8

[VOP]
Members
939 posts
4 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Yup. Time for another call to limit the number of DDs in COOP to 2. I've been in too many matches with 3 or 4 DDs and if they are half way decent they walk away with a lions share of the kills before I can even get guns on target.  Either they spam smoke and ruin the spotting for me, or take advantage of the AI's blind logic and rush torp them.

2 seem nice, 3 is torpedo soup, 4 turns it into torpedo stew. It's kind of hard to use COOP for it's intended purpose of testing builds (tm) if there are no targets.

Should not be testing random builds in COOP lol. Not a good translation of builds from COOP to random, especially now. Go to training room with some buddies. That is what training room is for. (PS we can do without your backhanded coop slam)

• Cool 3

[BEA5T]
Members
528 posts
16,970 battles
13 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Well being your not a spring chicken in this game you should be well aware of the circumstances in COOP :Smile_Default:   So it just means you dive into the next one as eventually there will just 1 or 2 breathing players in the battle and you will have ample opportunity to test out to your hearts content.  

Imagine having to play a CV with team full of "capable players"  talk about short and sweet ...  you can barely get a few drops in ...

[RLGN]
Members
15,491 posts
27,200 battles
17 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

Should not be testing random builds in COOP lol. Not a good translation of builds from COOP to random, especially now. Go to training room with some buddies. That is what training room is for. (PS we can do without your backhanded coop slam)

No ‘buddies.’ I would be in a test room all alone.

(Ghost clan, (only one active right now,) and many of those outside my clan I used to actively division with I’ve not seen in ages.)

[CK5]
Members
1,519 posts
16,249 battles

I play coop and I play DD's (as well as other ships).  I don't need your permission to play a particular game mode.  

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[VOP]
Members
939 posts
14 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

No ‘buddies.’ I would be in a test room all alone.

(Ghost clan, (only one active right now,) and many of those outside my clan I used to actively division with I’ve not seen in ages.)

Good point.

But for the OP, he should not consider coop his personal test bed. Plenty of coop mains and even randos go there to complete campaigns and other events.

For the OP:

Training room lets a person try the build on various maps of his choice.

The can go solo without fear of others wiping the targets.

A controlled variety of bots can be populated as targets.

Edited by Airjellyfish

[CO-OP]
Members
2,649 posts
27,757 battles

As long as 3-player divisions exist, it is unlikely that there is going go be a limit (even a soft limit) below 3.  

[USCC2]
Members
6,332 posts
51 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

I agree with having too many of any ship types; too many of any ship type can sometimes lead to lopsided games (or fun games too lol):

Although I don't think there is much of the rock/paper/scissors mode left in general, I think most would expect at least the usual advantage to be there for each ship type against a particular other ship type. Therefore if you're going to limit one ship type, then you should limit all similarly. How abaout 3 max for each ship type (CV one in Co-OP)?

[PVE]
Members
13,195 posts
27,680 battles
19 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I play coop and I play DD's (as well as other ships).  I don't need your permission to play a particular game mode.  

I don't agree with OP's characterization of the mode but I support the call to cap DD #'s in Co-op at 2 max (although I want it for the betterment of all players there and not selfishly like OP). 3-4 is just too many for the mode. It isn't about limiting your choice to play DD or anything like that. It's about  getting WG to finally realize 3-4 DD is just too many for a Co-op game where the teams are only made up of 9 ships. No one wants to kick DD's out of Co-op. We re just tired of so many on 1 team. DD's are extremely OP in Co-op and so many on a team negatively impacts the other players in other ship classes. There is no reason things can't be balanced a bit so every player has a chance to enjoy the match and do well. And actually having fewer DD's helps DD players as it is more potential damage for them to farm as well.

• Cool 9
  • Meh 2

[RVNHQ]
Members
372 posts
11,029 battles

Restricting DDs to two would have the opposite effect. Bots gravitate towards the target with the least amount of health so if you spawn on a side of the map without a DD the side with a DD is likely to see more action, especially true for maps like Two Brothers. I observed this pattern often when I was grinding up the French DD line. If I speed boost right away I would attract the attention of all the BB bots, even those going to an adjacent cap.

WG would have to dedicate resources in changing how the AI in Co-op works and I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

• Meh 1

[TFFOX]
Members
1,074 posts
2,577 battles
1 hour ago, StoptheViolins said:

well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me! I really don't appreciate the insult to DD mains, and also the slam against Coop.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[RVNHQ]
Members
372 posts
11,029 battles
5 minutes ago, AdmiralFox08 said:

well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me! I really don't appreciate the insult to DD mains, and also the slam against Coop.

OP probably did the biggest mistake a BB player could do in Co-op and that is sit in the back sniping.

• Cool 2

[VOP]
Members
939 posts
42 minutes ago, Beleaf_ said:

OP probably did the biggest mistake a BB player could do in Co-op and that is sit in the back sniping.

Exactly, not a place to test Deadeye, lol.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,074 posts
2,577 battles
5 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

Exactly, not a place to test Deadeye, lol.

OP wants to test deadeye he should just make a training room

[USCC]
Members
3,116 posts
14,656 battles
2 hours ago, StoptheViolins said:

Although I would agree with you to limit the DD's to two, I have to also point out I play a lot of dd's, and I don't like to share my food with other dd's or any other class.
And originally co-op may have been nothing more than a training room, it's actually a lot more to a lot of players.
Many random players dip their toes in for missions/ testing builds etc, it's grown into a PVE mode for many full time players. 

"spam smoke and ruin the spotting for me, or take advantage of the AI's blind logic and rush torp them" 100% guilty, It's part of playing dd's but moreover, If I don't, the kill securing cruisers will  eat up everything. :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,593 posts
10,718 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I don't agree with OP's characterization of the mode but I support the call to cap DD #'s in Co-op at 2 max (although I want it for the betterment of all players there and not selfishly like OP). 3-4 is just too many for the mode. It isn't about limiting your choice to play DD or anything like that. It's about  getting WG to finally realize 3-4 DD is just too many for a Co-op game where the teams are only made up of 9 ships. No one wants to kick DD's out of Co-op. We re just tired of so many on 1 team. DD's are extremely OP in Co-op and so many on a team negatively impacts the other players in other ship classes. There is no reason things can't be balanced a bit so every player has a chance to enjoy the match and do well. And actually having fewer DD's helps DD players as it is more potential damage for them to farm as well.

I might leave it at 3 max.  They help know where to have your guns pointed.

Plus, I need them for incapacitation missions.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
744 posts
10,061 battles

I say there shouldn't be a maximum of any class.  It adds more variety when there are battles filled with DDs and then ones with none at all, or it's cruiser city or battleship mania or any kind of mix.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,959 posts
27,248 battles

I think it should be pegged to 3 at most, 2 being preferable, 4 DDs with half decent drivers pretty much means the game is over before it starts. The other classes barely get a look in, as pointed out above the DD class is OP in COOP, and remember the objective isn't to beat the bots, that's a given, it's to beat your teammates. With 4 DDs, the heffalumps (US BB split) will have had maybe 3 salvoes when the credits roll.

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
189 posts
13,081 battles

I'm good with 3 max as well. 4 is just a bit on the silly side. But since I play during off peak hours (do to my location in Japan) I'd be even happier if they'd stop making friendly bots ram the enemy bots, that just robs damage / xp from the humans. 

And why do we need bot CVs if there is no human CV player on the team?

[4-FUN]
[4-FUN]
Members
195 posts
10,013 battles

Disagree OP.

There should be ZERO DDs in COOP.

Personally speaking though, I love to shoot past them and steel their kill. Then watch chat as they rage type entitled crap like.............BBs shouldnt be able to do that.......... you stole my kill (usually when I one shot a 100% HP Yammy, Georgia or Repub).................it's everbody elses fault for getting torped (right after they torp from behind a group of players)....................then more entitlement entitlement entitlement, rage rage rage.

And I'm almost always above them in score and on the ladder which makes it all worth while : )

Edited by CC123
  • Boring 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,959 posts
27,248 battles

Don't really see an awful lot of chat concerning kill stealing, the kill itself is not as valuable as the percentage of the ships health so I'm not really that bothered by kill securing, unless it is egregious. DDs are nice to have in the game as they are a small XP pool that's worth a lot, that has to balanced with too many of them ruining the round for everyone.

Members
709 posts

2 DD's, 4 DD's , What difference would it make? Still can clean the table if they are semi decent. They have the speed, stealth and weapons to do it. Almost all I run in pve now.

[VOP]
Members
939 posts
12 hours ago, xamdam said:

I'm good with 3 max as well. 4 is just a bit on the silly side. But since I play during off peak hours (do to my location in Japan) I'd be even happier if they'd stop making friendly bots ram the enemy bots, that just robs damage / xp from the humans. 

And why do we need bot CVs if there is no human CV player on the team?

I'd be happier if they made almost full health enemy bots stop trying to ram me.

• Cool 1

[KEGEL]
Members
283 posts
13,012 battles

Probably should be a hard limit of 3 & soft limit of 2 DDs per green team.

It's just too easy to wipe a lane/flank in a semi-decent destroyer. In strong DDs like Shima, Haru, Sommers, Benham...the other human teammates might as well go afk for all the 'fun' they're about to have. 

In the Yolo Emilio, you're almost guaranteed 3 one-shot kills per match if you don't get screwed with a bad spawn location.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this