You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Underwhelming

31 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
6,083 posts
18,645 battles

I realize it is free stuff but as I worked my way thru the Lunar New Year daily chain I had high (obviously unreasonable) hopes for that final huge Container. Finally got it today and it had 3 Lunar New Year cammos. Seems quite a step down from the day of premium and other lead in "gifts".

Did I just get unlucky?

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
256 posts
9,568 battles

Nope.  That's how it works.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,619 posts

"This free stuff isn't good enough for me".

• Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 2

[D-H-O]
-Members-
65 posts
618 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

:Smile_trollface:

I got some Type 59 camo's so I am happy!

• Cool 2

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
256 posts
9,568 battles
14 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Drive to my house and I'll give you a quarter.

No?  But it's free.

Just because it's free doesn't make it exciting, and just because someone isn't excited doesn't make them unappreciative or "entitled" as the going phrase is.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

Set your goal for 3 Camos in every free container and you'll seldom be disappointed. :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
8,619 posts
7 minutes ago, Croda said:

No?  But it's free.

Just because it's free doesn't make it exciting, and just because someone isn't excited doesn't make them unappreciative or "entitled" as the going phrase is.

Playing a video game is not work and not required of anyone.

He isn't simply unexcited.  He is complaining.  Big difference.

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 3

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
256 posts
9,568 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

Playing a video game is not work and not required of anyone.

He isn't simply unexcited.  He is complaining.  Big difference.

I tend to disagree.  Maybe he's just unfamiliar with the mechanics of crates in this game, but I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation in general to think that the ultimate reward for a set of tasks is somewhat better than the other rewards given out while working through the tasks.  I didn't read what he said as a complaint at all.  If you did, so be it.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
8,619 posts
3 minutes ago, Croda said:

I tend to disagree.  Maybe he's just unfamiliar with the mechanics of crates in this game, but I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation in general to think that the ultimate reward for a set of tasks is somewhat better than the other rewards given out while working through the tasks.  I didn't read what he said as a complaint at all.  If you did, so be it.

It is a complaint that the gift that he received is not good enough.  Very much so and unquestionably. It isn't, how I read it.  It's what the words in his post say.

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
256 posts
9,568 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It is a complaint that the gift that he received is not good enough.  Very much so and unquestionably. It isn't, how I read it.  It's what the words in his post say.

If you read all voiced disappointment as a complaint, then I guess it is.

Have a great day, Burnsy.  Really, I mean that.

Really

• Boring 1

[A-D-F]
8,619 posts
5 minutes ago, Croda said:

If you read all voiced disappointment as a complaint, then I guess it is.

Have a great day, Burnsy.  Really, I mean that.

Really

OP didn't say "well phooey, I was really hoping X, maybe next time!" that would be disappointment.  Instead though, op said things like "this is really a step down" and then put the word gifts, in quotes, to emphasize that he is using the word loosely or ironically.

The post is a complaint about a gift.

Thanks, Croda.  It's going ok so far.  I hope you do too.

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Members
559 posts
4 hours ago, Burnsy said:

Given that way of thinking, If someone gave you a box of dog poo you would be jumping for joy. Now don't complain, it's free.

Edited by OuijaApologist
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

[A-D-F]
8,619 posts
4 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

Given your way of thinking, If someone gave you a box of dog pooh you would be jumping for joy. 

WG didn't give OP a box of dog pooh.  WG gave OP some stuff that he can use in the game that he likes to play.

I didn't get my crate yet but I will later. I am very sure that whatever pops out of it, will be useful for the game and not what you said.

It may not be what I am hoping it is, but it will get put to good use on something and I didn't have to pay for it, so it will be not be complained about.

• Thanks 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
36 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Did I just get unlucky?

You got as unlucky as the vast majority of people who open a non-premium event crate that you paid no real money for.

Every now and then they can turn out something really good (that's where my Okhotnik came from during the RU BB launch event), but anything more than flags/camos is a big bonus... especially when all the ships on offer are Tier 8 or higher and some of them (e.g. Bajie) can't be bought without going all-in on huge limited-availability mega-bundles.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,593 posts
10,718 battles

If you have expectations of crates, they are almost always underwhelming.

• Cool 1

[SOBA6]
Members
255 posts

I got 24 hours of premium in mine but I have tons of premium time already banked up so was disappointing to me too lol. Oh well, on to the next thing.......

[CVA16]
Members
6,083 posts
18,645 battles
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

but anything more than flags/camos is a big bonus..

I can dream of a ship but flags/cammos would be fine. The number provided  (3) is what made it truly underwhelming. Generally the final gift in the chain is better than what preceded it.

This was like opening that big box on Christmas morning and finding socks.  

Sounds like I got what most everybody else got. 

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
256 posts
9,568 battles
47 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I can dream of a ship but flags/cammos would be fine. The number provided  (3) is what made it truly underwhelming. Generally the final gift in the chain is better than what preceded it.

This was like opening that big box on Christmas morning and finding socks.  

Sounds like I got what most everybody else got. 

I think you'll learn that it doesn't pay to get excited abut these events, or to go crazy trying to finish them.  I used to, but have learned it's not really worth it and rarely finish any of their events anymore because there's isn't enough value in them for me.  Then again, that's what makes me happy, your approach may differ.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,970 posts
9,887 battles
1 hour ago, Croda said:

If I'm driving past your house anyway, and you're waiting on the curb, sure.

That's basically how these events work. You just play normally and ignore the task requirements, and collect the rewards at some point.

[USCC2]
Members
6,332 posts
1 hour ago, Croda said:

No?  But it's free.

Stop - Just stop! Stop expecting a 'WG Event' to be 'eventful' :Smile_teethhappy: Be excited with your flags and other free stuff and reminisce about past events that stand out as 'what a great event that was' moments.

This game has basically become a mobile type game where it gives you a free roll so you keep coming back - WG have done an excellent job in hooking people on getting daily containers and taking part in events where they can get.....different looking daily containers. It has become the type of game that I would usually stay well away from in its current format, but I have managed to understand the approach WG has taken and accept it for what it is.

In short I play the game and expect nothing else, no new maps, no new modes, no new scenarios/operations - just lots of new ships being churned out - money money money. The free stuff is merely to keep you coming back and is never actually meant to be eventful, just 'nice'. :Smile_honoring:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

It's more a sign that WG continues to grossly overvalue a handful of expendable camos.  

And yeah, putting that big container in front of people and making a big deal out of it... and then dropping a handful of camos... isn't exactly awesome. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[SALVO]
Members
6,633 posts
5,231 battles

The fortune cookie says: "Those with no expectation never get disappointed"

• Cool 1