Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mustangrde1

AFK Belittling

58 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

717
[--O--]
Members
994 posts

When i woke up this morning i had a very nasty message from a mother of a kid I introduced to the game, he is 15 (She was warned up front the chat in game should be turned off and for him to stay in Co-op, so its on her for not enforcing it) HE got called a ton of names POST GAME via messages.

His father who is stationed overseas called and as any kid would be, he was excited to talk to his dad so he was AFK for the game. When he came back to see those messages some telling him to kill himself he laughed, but unfortunately mom had seen them so of-course I had to hear about it. This brings me to the point of the post.

Though we all hate AFK, there is many reasons a player can be AFK. From Weather to a Phone call, if you have to report them do so, but also stop to think there could be many reason some beyond the players control causing it. Also  there is NO REASON EVER to send people post-game messages flaming someone. To me that should be an insta-ban of an account.

  • Cool 14
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
111
[CUDA]
Members
262 posts
7,859 battles

The internet is no place for people with thin skins. It's sad but true.

  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49
[OGF]
Members
121 posts
5,880 battles

I don't understand why people chase players to port with messages anyway.  An average battle, especially in co-op, is like 6-10 minutes.  It's more effort to send a nastygram than to hit next battle.  There's no predicting if the next one is gonna be a good match or a suck match anyway, not really worth the effort of being mad.  

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
4 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

When i woke up this morning i had a very nasty message from a mother of a kid I introduced to the game, he is 15 (She was warned up front the chat in game should be turned off and for him to stay in Co-op, so its on her for not enforcing it) HE got called a ton of names POST GAME via messages.

His father who is stationed overseas called and as any kid would be, he was excited to talk to his dad so he was AFK for the game. When he came back to see those messages some telling him to kill himself he laughed, but unfortunately mom had seen them so of-course I had to hear about it. This brings me to the point of the post.

Though we all hate AFK, there is many reasons a player can be AFK. From Weather to a Phone call, if you have to report them do so, but also stop to think there could be many reason some beyond the players control causing it. Also  there is NO REASON EVER to send people post-game messages flaming someone. To me that should be an insta-ban of an account.

He took grief for being AFK in a CoOP match ? If so, that's really unusual. 

In a PvP match, AFK just happens sometimes, I  just assume it's something more important than a video game that came up or the player disconnected and don't really give it a second thought, it's SAD that people get all bent out of shape about something so TRIVIAL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,788
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,753 posts
4,272 battles

Yeah, post game nasty messages are never appropriate. AFK, it happens, usually I grumble a bit and move on. Ranked it bothers me a lot more. Tell them to send it in to WG, they don't like nasty messages like that either.

That said, if Mom can't handle her kid seeing that kind of stuff she shouldn't let him on the internet. That kind of thing is unfortunately just part of online gaming and if you can't handle the occasional a-hole sending nasty messages you shouldn't be online.

59 minutes ago, WaywardVariable said:

He took grief for being AFK in a CoOP match ? If so, that's really unusual. 

The Coop mains here are always said part of the reason they Coop is to avoid the Random salt, but I've found it to be different. The couple times I've played significant coop games I've seen more team damage and salt (usually over perceived kill-stealing) than I have in all my Random games. Maybe I just was playing on a bad day, but my experience is the Coop people are just as salty as Random players. Sending nasty PMs after a match is already pretty unusual, but I've run into some people who REALLY hate AFK players. Doesn't take long to find an a-hole on the internet though.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

The Coop mains here are always said part of the reason they Coop is to avoid the Random salt, but I've found it to be different. The couple times I've played significant coop games I've seen more team damage and salt (usually over perceived kill-stealing) than I have in all my Random games. Maybe I just was playing on a bad day, but my experience is the Coop people are just as salty as Random players. Sending nasty PMs after a match is already pretty unusual, but I've run into some people who REALLY hate AFK players. Doesn't take long to find an a-hole on the internet though.

My experience has been the same as yours, in fact the only time I've already caught any significant grief from another player was in a CoOP match where the player went ballistic on me for playing my Fiji like a light cruiser instead of playing it like a Battleship. 

What I notice in CoOP matches though nobody seems to care if another player is AFK, the attitude I seem to see most often is "more food for the rest of us!". 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49
[OGF]
Members
121 posts
5,880 battles
12 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

The couple times I've played significant coop games I've seen more team damage and salt (usually over perceived kill-stealing)

This is more prevalent than it used to be, and co-op isn't as cheerful and chatty as it used to be, either.  I've run into one or two kill steal gripers, even been followed back to port by one, but in every case I expected somebody to get mad because I deleted a low-health ship they don't*, and every case where I delete a ship at 80%+ health I get somebody screaming at me for taking their "dibs".  I even had one dude absolutely lose his mind at me in chat for killing a Tenryu he wasn't even engaged with.  Was literally not even near it, and it was at 100%.  

I don't get it, but I don't have to get it.  It is what it is, some people be crazy.  

*There was an event some months back that needed kills, might have been the German dockyard, so I got mine and told everyone in the next three matches that I'd hold fire on low health ships so they could knock off their ribbons.  All it did was get people killed, so now I don't let nothin I got a shot at live.  

Edited by buglips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,223
[WOLFG]
Members
11,606 posts
10,741 battles
2 minutes ago, buglips said:

This is more prevalent than it used to be, and co-op isn't as cheerful and chatty as it used to be, either. 

It's true, I play only coop, and the mood isn't as good as it used to be.  Higher levels of team damage always seems to be a thing.

I don't know if it is WG making most of the missions coop doable (so everyone in game is on the grind wheel, probably cause for also higher team damage), or just general covid related grumpiness.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,070
[-BUI-]
Members
2,547 posts
6,822 battles

AFK players ruin the game for 11 others on their team, frankly have no sympathy for them getting the business, I don't care who they are.

If you don't have the ability to actually play the game, you shouldn't have hit the Battle button, period, end of discussion.    If said kid wanted to talk to his Dad, great, awesome, but why did he queue up a game?   

I wish this game was harder on people who throw intentionally, AFK, or have basement level PR over many games (everyone has a bad game once in awhile, but there is no excuse to have sub 200 PR for 1000 games).

  • Cool 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
422
[CHBK]
Members
1,041 posts
3,938 battles
1 hour ago, Mustangrde1 said:

Though we all hate AFK, there is many reasons a player can be AFK. From Weather to a Phone call, if you have to report them do so, but also stop to think there could be many reason some beyond the players control causing it. Also  there is NO REASON EVER to send people post-game messages flaming someone. To me that should be an insta-ban of an account.

I mean I agree on the threats.  I hardly think the mom should be railing on you for introducing the kid to the game. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
473
[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,164 posts
4,265 battles

The increase of salt in co-op matches is likely because of people farming various things (kills, citadels, fires, or whatever) for the assorted events.

Once upon a time events were, well, events. Now it's just one grind after another, often overlapping. Often times people will be focused on the rewards they are trying for, and will play ships or modes they normally wouldn't to try for them.

Having people the feel forced to have less fun by playing those other ships or modes might also be a bit salt inducing. Especially so if they just want to get the 12 more kills or whatever so they can go back to playing what they find fun.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
666
[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,460 posts

1) Online game.

2) Starting a game a man down sucks esp where numbers are important.

3) It's a PvP game so angry people are going to be angrier.

4) It's online.

5) He can help the game by sending the chat logs to WG for some nice chat or in-game suspensions of the offenders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49
[OGF]
Members
121 posts
5,880 battles
2 minutes ago, dechion said:

The increase of salt in co-op matches is likely because of people farming various things (kills, citadels, fires, or whatever) for the assorted events.

Once upon a time events were, well, events. Now it's just one grind after another, often overlapping. Often times people will be focused on the rewards they are trying for, and will play ships or modes they normally wouldn't to try for them.

Having people the feel forced to have less fun by playing those other ships or modes might also be a bit salt inducing. Especially so if they just want to get the 12 more kills or whatever so they can go back to playing what they find fun.

I agree with this.  Particularly if you've been grinding for a while and you just need that one kill, cap, cit or whatever and it just won't come and you're stuck there until it happens.  The constant grind for stuff burned me out so bad I uninstalled for a month, and when I came back I just decided to ignore them entirely and my satisfaction level increased by an order of magnitude.  Now I play the game however I want, instead of being worked to death to "increase engagement".  (The upshot is I actually play more now, so my engagement went up)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
273
[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
477 posts
20,574 battles
1 hour ago, Mustangrde1 said:

(She was warned up front the chat in game should be turned off and for him to stay in Co-op, so its on her for not enforcing it) 

Just curious because of the way this thread went, did he not have chat turned off or was he not in COOP? Or both?

Regardless, I can understand the kids reaction to laugh at the comments.  That's what I do when someone gets salty with me.
I suppose a Mother's protective instincts would seem over reactionary to me though...
But anyway good for the kid, taking the call from Dad over a video game. :cap_win:

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,534
[NONE]
Members
3,762 posts
5 minutes ago, dechion said:

The increase of salt in co-op matches is likely because of people farming various things (kills, citadels, fires, or whatever) for the assorted events.

Once upon a time events were, well, events. Now it's just one grind after another, often overlapping. Often times people will be focused on the rewards they are trying for, and will play ships or modes they normally wouldn't to try for them.

Having people the feel forced to have less fun by playing those other ships or modes might also be a bit salt inducing. Especially so if they just want to get the 12 more kills or whatever so they can go back to playing what they find fun.

Being a dedicated Co-op derpmeister, I have noticed that the salinity rises and falls in direct proportion to Random visitors doing missions. I just play with chat disabled for low-sodium fun.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7
[CGP]
Members
20 posts
14,024 battles

I just report AFK players and move on.  WG has the data to know if it was just a one time incident or a pattern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,578
[RLGN]
Members
15,505 posts
27,211 battles

I don’t get what some are saying about Co-op being nastier these days; I just don’t see it. AFKs extremely rare in my experience, and like was also said; general attitude is ‘more for me.’

For all they get dissed, I’ve seen bots play smarter than a lot of real players.

As to being followed back to port to any extent significant enough to recall; that’s only happened once, out of a Random game, and that player got blocked years ago.

17 minutes ago, Admiral_Kartoffel said:

But anyway good for the kid, taking the call from Dad over a video game. :cap_win:

This, more than that complainer crying about the kid shouldn’t have hit battle.

Maybe the kid had no idea the father was going to call? Maybe the mom didn’t tell the kid so dad calling would be a surprise?

Bloody hell; the attitudes I see from some supposedly ‘good’ players are about as toxic as you can get. They’re so wedded to their competitiveness and PR, it seems like they’re willing to blame and belittle anyone who isn’t as perfect as they for the slightest failing.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
473
[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,164 posts
4,265 battles
14 minutes ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

Being a dedicated Co-op derpmeister, I have noticed that the salinity rises and falls in direct proportion to Random visitors doing missions. I just play with chat disabled for low-sodium fun.

I used to play nothing but randoms. Then I started playing co-op for missions. Then I quit worrying about missions and just have fun in co-op and/or scenarios just blowing up bots.

I'm enjoying the game much more now.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[--O--]
Members
994 posts
19 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

AFK players ruin the game for 11 others on their team, frankly have no sympathy for them getting the business, I don't care who they are.

If you don't have the ability to actually play the game, you shouldn't have hit the Battle button, period, end of discussion.    If said kid wanted to talk to his Dad, great, awesome, but why did he queue up a game?   

I wish this game was harder on people who throw intentionally, AFK, or have basement level PR over many games (everyone has a bad game once in awhile, but there is no excuse to have sub 200 PR for 1000 games).

Simply put, he started the game and the call came in.... Not sure if you understand how it works... Serviceman gets (X) AMOUNT OF TIME on the phone. Kid would rather talk to his dad than play the game as he only had a limited time to talk to him but. It's not like in TV life where all the soldiers have sat phones and are always at a nice base with internet tv and full plumbing.

But even his situation aside I have and im sure many others have been disconnected at start or in game. Or Life happens and something more important happens with kids or wife or a business call etc. AFK happens for many reasons.

17 minutes ago, Admiral_Kartoffel said:

Just curious because of the way this thread went, did he not have chat turned off or was he not in COOP? Or both?

Regardless, I can understand the kids reaction to laugh at the comments.  That's what I do when someone gets salty with me.
I suppose a Mother's protective instincts would seem over reactionary to me though...
But anyway good for the kid, taking the call from Dad over a video game. :cap_win:

I talked to her a little bit on the phone just now, it was the "Go Kill Yourself" comment that pissed her off. Between her job "teacher" husband overseas and just life she had had enough last night ( i get it), she apologized to me for the wording of the message, she was just having one of those days. Her son told her please never walk by while he was playing COD. He has his dads thick skin, but i warn parents if they could see things to cover my butt and friendship with them, their call after that if they let the kid play a game.

Still though we need to think of others when it comes to AFK so many reasons it happens.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
629 posts
12,602 battles

When I was in Iraq I had to walk a mile to use a phone and had to wait in line to use it and had a time restriction all while paying through the nose for the privilege.

The kid did the right thing.

The first world problems players of this game have are insane not because the issues aren’t annoying, but because there is little to no perspective.

Life inevitably intrudes on a mere game. Grow up.

Edited by Spirit_of_76
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,298
[WOLFG]
Members
31,992 posts
9,887 battles
2 hours ago, Swervenkill said:

The internet is no place for people with thin skins. It's sad but true.

Agreed. If you can't handle the occasional AFK player, you should probably stick to singleplayer games.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,298
[WOLFG]
Members
31,992 posts
9,887 battles
1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

AFK players ruin the game for 11 others on their team, frankly have no sympathy for them getting the business, I don't care who they are

 

Are we talking about AFKs or CV players.....? :Smile_trollface:

1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

 

If you don't have the ability to actually play the game, you shouldn't have hit the Battle button, period, end of discussion.    If said kid wanted to talk to his Dad, great, awesome, but why did he queue up a game?   

Because he didn't know his dad was going to call?

If nobody played unless they were absolutely certain there wouldn't be any interruptions, you'd have bots filling in at all tiers.

Besides, for all anyone knows, that AFK player would otherwise YOLO to death, and then they still wouldn't be helping their team, and would upset the points balance besides.

1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

I wish this game was harder on people who throw intentionally....

Do you know someone that actually stated they were leaving intentionally multiple times, were reported multiple times, and weren't punished?

1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

...or have basement level PR over many games 

How can WG make things tougher for a player who has a substandard stat that doesn't exist in their system? They'd have to make their own rating, and the last time they did that, (in WoT) number of games played was substantially weighted....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,138
[SALVO]
Members
6,647 posts
5,271 battles

I´ve never found a valid reason to go out of my way and send insulting messages to other player for whatever cause. Why? to what effect?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,298
[WOLFG]
Members
31,992 posts
9,887 battles
Just now, ArIskandir said:

I´ve never found a valid reason to go out of my way and send insulting messages to other player for whatever cause. Why? to what effect?

Agreed. I can see doing it if I got angry, but the only thing that ever does that is a ridiculous RNG occurence, and I don't think sending an insulting PM to WG would be a good use of my time. Scratching my nether regions would be far more productive lol.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,683
[46856]
Members
1,899 posts

Really? You knew what he was getting into and the mother did also because you warned her, so stop shifting blame for your actions.  You went into it with eyes wide open.

 

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×