You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GBpirate

Saipan/Sanzang Aircraft quantity

What do you think of the proposal?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I agree, two extra aircraft per air wing will help Saipan and Sanzang better.
    • I disagree, the Saipan and Sanzang don't need the two extra aircraft per air wing
    • Something else; elaborate in a reply?

11 comments in this topic

[-TAB-]
Members
2 posts
4,213 battles

Hi everyone,

I've played a lot of games in Saipan in the last year or so and before the commander skill change this month the 1 point ability (now retitled Air Supremacy) used to give +2 aircraft on deck in addition to the -5% faster plane regeneration time. On many CVs the +2 aircraft isn't too noticeable, but on the Saipan and its clone Sanzang, those extra two aircraft are sorely missed.

I think if the plane regeneration time is going to stay the same, both boats ought to have those two aircraft per air wing permanent. Playing in randoms is hard enough if you're up-tiered (but almost too easy against tier VI boats) and those extra two aircraft are extremely important to being viable in the later stages of a game.

Thank for listening,

GB

• Cool 3

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,436 posts
13,111 battles

On almost every CV, the extra 2 aircraft in reserve was noticeable, as it would allow a full or near full flight of the same kind of aircraft to be launched back to back, especially when combined with pre-dropping. (Indomitable and Kaga are the only ones that can do it out of the box) You now have to get it from slot 5 upgrades, which competes directly with concealment upgrades. Which is a lot worse now that concealment through skills is a lot less feasible.

Saipan needed either an extra couple aircraft or a somewhat better regen rate to deal with the ways aircraft can get killed that don't really care about hitpoints. Kaga got the benefits of that, and Saipan got the short end of the stick.

[GRETA]
Members
1,347 posts
10,469 battles

Saipan is the closest thing to a "balanced" Cv.  It does not need more planes or any buffs, other CV need to be nerfed and brought in line.  

• Funny 2
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 3

[GWG]
Members
7,358 posts
14,119 battles

Saipan DOMINATES the Asymetric Battles -- Really hope they come back....   
T10 aircraft against T6 AA...   They are everlasting, even the fighter squads used to spot.
The reason is that the T7/T8 BBs have long range, but they can't spot the lower tiers within that long range...   That's where the Saipan came in.
Saipan could loiter over the low-tier red fleet while the green high-tier BBs could club them silly.

The only danger to the Saipan planes....  ironicly...  is the HuangHe with Tier 9 AA on a tier 6 ship.
The irony is the Pan-Asian selection of the Saipan/Sanzang to face it's Asymetric nemesis HuangHe.  

With the new commander skill system, you don't need to reset a Pan-Asian captain..   Just load any one in and set the skills.

Now that I got this to drop at the end of the daily rewards, I found the play to be nearly exact as before.  Never rank more than half way up in a Co-Op.

But Hey!!   Free tier 8 premium ship????   I'll take it !!

[SGSS]
Members
5,517 posts
On 1/29/2021 at 1:55 AM, GBpirate said:

Hi everyone,

I've played a lot of games in Saipan in the last year or so and before the commander skill change this month the 1 point ability (now retitled Air Supremacy) used to give +2 aircraft on deck in addition to the -5% faster plane regeneration time. On many CVs the +2 aircraft isn't too noticeable, but on the Saipan and its clone Sanzang, those extra two aircraft are sorely missed.

I think if the plane regeneration time is going to stay the same, both boats ought to have those two aircraft per air wing permanent. Playing in randoms is hard enough if you're up-tiered (but almost too easy against tier VI boats) and those extra two aircraft are extremely important to being viable in the later stages of a game.

Thank for listening,

GB

MM is a real problem.  If your top T or just have 1 or 2 T10 to worry about that is one thing.

T8 MM means there is you and all T10.  Sipan is screwed

I wonder if interceptor would be perfect for Sipan because its best to waste a little time between strikes anyway.

[SGSS]
Members
5,517 posts
On 1/30/2021 at 7:02 PM, AVR_Project said:

Saipan DOMINATES the Asymetric Battles -- Really hope they come back....   
T10 aircraft against T6 AA...   They are everlasting, even the fighter squads used to spot.
The reason is that the T7/T8 BBs have long range, but they can't spot the lower tiers within that long range...   That's where the Saipan came in.
Saipan could loiter over the low-tier red fleet while the green high-tier BBs could club them silly.

The only danger to the Saipan planes....  ironicly...  is the HuangHe with Tier 9 AA on a tier 6 ship.
The irony is the Pan-Asian selection of the Saipan/Sanzang to face it's Asymetric nemesis HuangHe.  

With the new commander skill system, you don't need to reset a Pan-Asian captain..   Just load any one in and set the skills.

Now that I got this to drop at the end of the daily rewards, I found the play to be nearly exact as before.  Never rank more than half way up in a Co-Op.

But Hey!!   Free tier 8 premium ship????   I'll take it !!

You and I have very different MM.

My T8 is either all T10 a lot of times. Lex is actually better suited for.  Or its all T8.  I have not seen a t7 or ty is for ever.

The few time I have been in a t6 game its like being a god.  Or being in a Russian BB immune to HE.

[GWG]
Members
7,358 posts
14,119 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

You and I have very different MM.

My T8 is either all T10 a lot of times. Lex is actually better suited for.  Or its all T8.  I have not seen a t7 or ty is for ever.

The few time I have been in a t6 game its like being a god.  Or being in a Russian BB immune to HE.

Oh hell I'd never play the Saipan in a Random.  I have the Enterprise, or better yet the Kaga with Torpedo planes that never run dry.
The Graf Zeppelin runs out of planes, but it has/had secondaries to farm damage with. I'll need to look into that.

Nope..  The Saipan and SanZang are port queens until Asymmetric Battles come back.

[-TAB-]
Members
2 posts
4,213 battles

So it turns out I'm not the brightest and the +2 aircraft on deck is a mod that I had sometime earlier removed from the ship for some reason.

So uhhh yeah this is a useless thread

yikes sorry

• Haha 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,346 posts
12,056 battles
On 1/29/2021 at 1:55 AM, GBpirate said:

Hi everyone,

Thank for listening,

GB

It would certainly make her easier to play. Saipan's planes are individually really powerful though. Two extra planes is a lot and could push her into overpowered state. It would definitely require some testing. Two extra plans on say a Kaga would mean basically nothing as her planes are throwaways, but Saipan is balanced around her limited airgroup.

[G-4W]
Members
35 posts
5,244 battles

The Sanzang is just the biggest dog of a ship I have ever bought! Not enough planes and They get shot down so easily. This ship no-one should ever buy! I feel like a fool for buying this turd!