You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dark_Sight

Trolls in game

13 comments in this topic

Members
35 posts
14,216 battles

Karma in game is great until you get some jack [edited]thinking he or she knows better. These are the players that get killed first then want to arm chair Quarterback and start complaining about where or what your doing, for no other reason other then to '[edited]"!

I died so I'm going to blame you for my short comings [edited] is getting old. Then they give you a bad mark just like the "TANK" game. this Karma system needs reworked. Prove I did something wrong, like run into you too many times. I can understand you trolls like giving out bad comments. The game should give up the names of the players that do this, so I can reciprocate the mark. I can see why less players are on now just like the tank game. Seems to me that the developers don't care as long as the money flows!  

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,230 posts
12,066 battles

How many times do we have to go over this who cares about Karma !!!! 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,697 posts
14,866 battles
1 hour ago, clammboy said:

How many times do we have to go over this who cares about Karma !!!! 

It is a very flawed system that allows and even encourages misuse.

[A-D-F]
Members
1,290 posts
12,102 battles
On 1/28/2021 at 9:42 PM, Dark_Sight said:

Karma in game is great until you get some jack [edited]thinking he or she knows better. These are the players that get killed first then want to arm chair Quarterback and start complaining about where or what your doing, for no other reason other then to '[edited]"!

I died so I'm going to blame you for my short comings [edited] is getting old. Then they give you a bad mark just like the "TANK" game. this Karma system needs reworked. Prove I did something wrong, like run into you too many times. I can understand you trolls like giving out bad comments. The game should give up the names of the players that do this, so I can reciprocate the mark. I can see why less players are on now just like the tank game. Seems to me that the developers don't care as long as the money flows!  

If they want to limit the effectiveness of trolling and people being toxic aft-hats; they could just do away with in-game chat altogether. Forcing players to use a 3rd party voice comms system could free the game from a lot of toxicity. Keep a hot-key and automated system for things like "using hydro" and such. A proximity based "WARNING I'm LAUNCHING TORPS" etc. would have less potential for abuse. A simple AlGoreIthm for too many canned messages spammed in a given time frame would be an easy implement. Spam about torps ten times in  minute and never launched any? Earn a total comms ban. Break that wall too often and earn a ban from the server for a time. 

Honestly there are a lot of things WG could do to mitigate trolling; but they seem to be OK with a certain amount of excess hate & frustration being generated for no effort on their part.

[TIMT]
Members
1,246 posts
4,755 battles
On 1/28/2021 at 9:42 PM, Dark_Sight said:

A few things to keep in mind:

• people can have bad days and show their worst in game chat. No excuses, you shouldn't do it, but it happens to the best.
  • You can always block individual people in chat by right-clicking on them and adding them to the blacklist. No need to disable all-chat.
  • Karma serves as a lightning rod, so to speak. It has no tangible value in itself, but pressing the "I don't like you button" relieves a lot of frustration and toxicity from some people. Better than spamming chat.
  • Karma has no meaning other than the one you give it. Personally, I look at long-term karma as an indicator of progress: is it going up slowly I must be doing something right. Lost a bunch of karma recently? Maybe time to reflect on my game etc. myself for a bit. Does not apply to CV players for unrelated reasons.
  • Try to be positive and give positive karma, usually this gets you in a more positive mindset.
  • If you are tilted, walk away.
  • Also, different people from different backgrounds have very different ideas of what is offensive, said in jest, or just regular smack talk appropriate for the game.
  • This is the internet, plan accordingly. People are mean when anonymous.

If you think this community is toxic or salty, I can assure you compared to some CS and UT servers I played on in the past this is nothing.

Further, I'd like to point out that a lot of frustration and toxicity in the game can be traced to certain game mechanics and balancing decisions. I'd thus rather treat a lot of the in-game chat salt etc. as a symptom and not the cause. Removing the cause would better than hiding the symptoms (removing chat), but your mileage may vary.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,211 posts

Easy fix. Disable chat. That takes care of the Toxic.

Blacklisting works as well. End of troll.

Karma has no value, they can and do stack a whole teams worth of neg karma before. It still has no value.

Play your game the way you play it. Leave off the rest. If they want to do things a certain way say in a DD? They can put a DD on and go do it themselves. Show the rest of us luddites how it's done. We used to call these people backseat drivers. Sometimes they got to walk home.

Edited by xHeavy

[WKY04]
Members
629 posts
12,592 battles

I've noticed that there is an inverse relationship between how long you survive a bad match and how much negative karma and armchair quarterbacking you receive.

Die first? People don't even usually remember, but the dead guy is now in the audience to scrutinize what happens after he got himself killed. And, of course, as time passes and more ships sink there are more in the audience with a lot more care about what you do than what they were doing and who are harshly judging your every move as your situation becomes more perilous.

By the time the match ends you could have 11 people pestering you with their bad advice and their stupid reports.

Karma has no relation to how you perform at all, it's totally about the reporter's feelings and is totally worthless.

Karma and dead people's abiity to chat should be eliminated IMO.

[TIMT]
Members
1,246 posts
4,755 battles
2 minutes ago, Spirit_of_76 said:

Karma has no relation to how you perform at all, it's totally about the reporter's feelings and is totally worthless. 

Karma and dead people's abiity to chat should be eliminated IMO.

disagree. Karma has some relation to how well you are doing, provided you are not expressing yourself overly colorful in chat or you playing a CV. If you run MM Monitor for a while (which I would not recommend, btw.) you will see that the vast majority of people have apparently close to zero karma. When you see someone with positive or lots of positive karma, it is usually a better indicator of performance than WR, because either you have someone incredibly lucky who never ran into the toxic people that are everywhere, someone who can actually do the right thing in most situations.

Personally, if I get outplayed by someone I give them a +1. If team mates let me down or throw the game doing something stupid or an avoidable mistake, they get -1. And yes, I expect to get negative karma for doing less than ideal in critical moments.

Sidenote: If karma is meaningless and not worth it, why are so many people calling for its removal? Maybe it is not?

Members
472 posts
2,837 battles

The purpose of karma is to give idiots room to vent, reducing the number of frivolous reports to WG.

[TRU]
Members
723 posts
20,947 battles
15 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

disagree. Karma has some relation to how well you are doing, provided you are not expressing yourself overly colorful in chat or you playing a CV. If you run MM Monitor for a while (which I would not recommend, btw.) you will see that the vast majority of people have apparently close to zero karma. When you see someone with positive or lots of positive karma, it is usually a better indicator of performance than WR, because either you have someone incredibly lucky who never ran into the toxic people that are everywhere, someone who can actually do the right thing in most situations.

Personally, if I get outplayed by someone I give them a +1. If team mates let me down or throw the game doing something stupid or an avoidable mistake, they get -1. And yes, I expect to get negative karma for doing less than ideal in critical moments.

Sidenote: If karma is meaningless and not worth it, why are so many people calling for its removal? Maybe it is not?

I would agree with your disagreement...especially after a lot of games to let the law of averages play out.  You will get the occasional dope that gives you a negative because you killed them or played a ship class they deem inappropriate.  But overall, I have been pretty surprised at how nice most players are in chat and otherwise.   In many cases while playing you will see players congratulating others and letting them know "+1".

I also try to provide karma to players that do extremely well and pull a win from a hopeless situation.   It may mean nothing, but its all that I can do to acknowledge their good (or bad) play.  

As far as negative karma, that's usually reserved for AFKs or those that really try to be a dope in chat or otherwise.  

[WKY04]
Members
629 posts
12,592 battles
37 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

People are calling for its removal because it is primarily used in an improper weaponized fashion.

Members
5,596 posts
10,837 battles

Online anything means trolls will be there - period.  Either get used to it or get off line.  Don't worry about Karma - nothing more than a popularity contest from grade school. 

[0456]
Members
498 posts
9,120 battles
On 1/29/2021 at 12:42 AM, Dark_Sight said:

These are the players that get killed first

13 366 battles & a 27.85% battles survived as a cruiser main?  Sure it is'nt you dying first hun?