Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Got the Vermont Last Night And These Are My Impressions Of It So Far In Ranked And Randoms From An Average Player

8 comments in this topic

[SOBA6]
Members
241 posts

So far this week I've received the Kremlin and now the Vermont. I wrote my thoughts on the kremlin earlier so now I've had a few games in Vermont and here is what i think for anyone that cares and is average like me. 
First, it's a slow grind and I really mean that. I used a ton of flags and even then it was not pleasant because these ships are very slow and half the games you are trying to just keep up with your team. On the Vermont it has great range but you won't do well shooting halfway across the map even with the Sniper skill and all Dispersion mods. The reason is at Tier 10 these days, the enemy is not as stupid as they once were. Firing at a broadside cruiser at say 24km away just results in your shells splashing in the ocean. They will detect your shot and just move a bit to the side or hit reverse or steam ahead. Your shells take so long to get there that they can easily dodge any incoming fire early in the game. Even BB's can dodge at that range and all the smart ones do. So I found that sniping across the map at 24 or 28 km was just not doing much of anything except the rare occasional good hit but they are few and far in between. 

Second, at closer ranges say 20km or less, this thing hits like a Mack truck! It will hurt you in any ship you are playing, it doesn't care. Yamato, Thunderer, Cruiser, DD, it doesn't matter. You don't ever wanna show too much broadside to the Vermont. So we ALL knows it hits hard, no big news there. Now comes the negatives and they are MANY!!!! 
You will burn burn burn and I don't care if you take the Fire Prevention and go full Tank build, you will still burn cause everyone these days is slinging HE. From the Thunderers that set double fires on you in a single volley to the cruisers behind islands and DD's sitting in smoke. You are a huge target with tons of health and that means damage and xp for them. 

Third: If anyone tells you 40 second reload is not that bad then they LIED!! Seriously, a Thunderer can shoot you almost twice per each of your volleys. So you hit harder than him but when he's chasing you across the map and he has a bit of damage and he's using Adrenaline Rush to make his shots now 20 seconds apart, it's a nightmare. Cruisers I find will exploit you if they are good and by this I mean they will wait till you fire and then slide out from behind an island and wreck havoc on you for 30 seconds and then go back behind the island right before your guns come up. DD's do this as well and I had a Halland stay about 8km away from me one game and do just that. he'd wait till I fired at some other ship and then he'd light up and peck away at me with his HE and try to start a fire. Then after 3-4 volleys he'd just go silent and disappear. I'd sit and wait and wait with my guns aimed in his direction but he would just wait me out. My ship was so slow that my team went off and just left me out there. It's very hard to keep up with them and that's ok in the beginning of the game when you wanna sit back and snipe a bit. However, eventually an enemy ship will notice you out there alone and they will begin plotting to chip away at you. They know your reload is long and they take advantage of that. 

Then try getting cornered mid to late game by 2 enemy ships and you might get one but not before they tear you apart. Again reload is just far to long and if your staring down the barrels of say a BB and a cruiser that are both angled away but targetting you, it's a pain. The cruiser seems your easier target as you feel you can end him sooner and then just have one ship to deal with but the BB still hurts when he smacks you. 

So just my opinion but am not liking the Vermont and will now go back to grinding and get the Montana next. It's fun when you smack a ship with a couple citadels and delete them but it just doesn't happen often enough to make the ship that fun. Too many Captains know all about your ship and will dodge, weave, spam HE and everything else to make the long reloads just not as viable as a fast firing Thunderer. Out of the 2 BB's I ground out this week, the Kremlin is by FAR the best over the slow Vermont. 

Vermont.jpg

Edited by Lord_Argus
  • Thanks 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,222 posts
15,857 battles

Nice mini review... pretty much sums up my experience in the MN... so Vermont will be a drive a few times then port queen here unless WG fixes this line.  They need a bit more speed, 2 knots would do, chop off about 5 seconds on the reload and then may be these ships will be viable.

[GWG]
Members
7,358 posts
14,120 battles

Cruisers and DDs behind islands?  I get that a lot too.  Cure is to fire two turrets, then unload the others when they stick their necks out.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,368 posts
10,443 battles

40 sec reload is not viable given the history of BB reload times.

If it were something like incredibly accurate, it'd be a fair tradeoff.

[WARGS]
Members
76 posts
8,939 battles

yeah the Vermont in its current state is trash. Unless they give it the best sigma in the game it has no purpose other then a field to be farmed by the red team

[O2]
Members
452 posts
10,033 battles
3 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Cure is to fire one two turrets, then unload the others when they stick their necks out.

Fixed that for you.

[SOBA6]
Members
241 posts
1 hour ago, guns_at_last_light said:

Did you really take a ship out in Ranked that you just got in the past few days?

Sure, I've been farming Gold League for several weeks for the steel

Sign in to follow this