Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Super Heavy AP Shells Worth It? Anyone Tested This Skill

27 comments in this topic

[SOBA6]
Members
241 posts

I tried it out on my Kremlin but honestly don't know if it's worth taking over something else? 5% extra seems like it would be good but the additional 30% recovery time of fires/floods seems more of a negative on a big battleship than the extra 5%

What are everyone else's thoughts? On say a big set of guns like the Vermonts or kremlins 457's, it gives me an extra 788 per AP round. With 9 barrels that's 7092 extra damage if all barrels strike. On the Vermont with 12 barrels it's an extra 9456. However, on angled ships across the map, you only get 1-2 hits most of the time. Even then, your hit doesn't always land for the full amount so to me you might get 600-700 extra damage on a volley like this. Then again, a full broadside into a large BB could net you thousands of extra damage but those shots are not nearly as frequent as the long range volleys where you may only get 2 shells to land on target. 

Has anyone actually tested anything with this or how was it when you tried it out?

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,218 posts

You can shoot AP with a million damage inside... only to overpen or bounce off.

CLANK! And you still have the very excessive burn time added on etc. Its not worth it.

I was actually forced to put on a fire prevention for the Thunderer and can only imagine how the other BB's must feel being easy burn. Particualrly the German ones.

Ive gone full HE. Now... if a Cruiser like a Kuma should sashay across with broadside and stacks showing, why sure AP the darn think get many citadels to boot. If not also deotnate the thing clear out of the water. I usually drop everything to get rounds AP into a british light cruier and so forth. The rewards are just satisfying on a big scale if you don't also delete the thing with one salvo has happens now and then.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,733 posts
4,263 battles

It's not great for BBs (though someone posted the other day showing how it gives you 20K damage per shell on Shikishima). It's best on CAs like DM with the autobounce angles to use it. Minotaur too. There the percentage and ROF is enough to make a difference.

[CDOH]
Members
716 posts
7,922 battles

I don't even thinks that good on des moines. Giving up concealment is not worth it in my book. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

The cruiser version doesn't have that concealment downgrade.

There are SOME cruisers with good AP shells that it seems to work on.  (Doing some PTS testing of skills and stuff.)

[META_]
Members
200 posts
2,997 battles
30 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

It's not great for BBs (though someone posted the other day showing how it gives you 20K damage per shell on Shikishima). It's best on CAs like DM with the autobounce angles to use it. Minotaur too. There the percentage and ROF is enough to make a difference.

Can't use it on Minotaur - the cruiser version only works for 190mm+ shells.  It's best on DM and Hindenburg.  Maybe Henri because of the reload booster, though she's more of an HE spammer.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
3 minutes ago, Fel0niusMonk said:

Can't use it on Minotaur - the cruiser version only works for 190mm+ shells.  It's best on DM and Hindenburg.  Maybe Henri because of the reload booster, though she's more of an HE spammer.

Some of the supercruisers might benefit from it.  Maybe.

[META_]
Members
200 posts
2,997 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

Some of the supercruisers might benefit from it.  Maybe.

Yeah, I have it on my Alaska captain, if for no other reason than there wasn't really anything else to spend the points on.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,733 posts
4,263 battles
8 minutes ago, Fel0niusMonk said:

Ah yeah, had forgotten that. Still haven't gotten used to the new skills.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,202 posts
12,101 battles

Long range sniping BB's make some troll use of it, anything that has range really to stay out of fire and flood range of most ships - other than the CV's that still have any ability to actually be useful and set fires or cause floods. 

[VOP]
Members
935 posts
13 minutes ago, Fel0niusMonk said:

Yeah, I have it on my Alaska captain, if for no other reason than there wasn't really anything else to spend the points on.

Same for my Pensacola.

[ANZ4C]
Members
245 posts
7,644 battles

I'd imagine it would be great on the Slava.

But it would probably work best on Stalin/Alaska/Puerto Rico due to improved AP pen angles

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,539 posts
5,877 battles

I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole on any BB.  BBs cannot dodge incoming fire effectively and thus are relatively easy to set on fire.  The penalty is drastically worse than the benefit is good.

• Cool 2

[-WD-]
Members
493 posts
9,322 battles
25 minutes ago, Fel0niusMonk said:

Exactly.  Nothing else to spend points on other than a skill that gives a negligible bonus for a significant penalty.

[META_]
Members
200 posts
2,997 battles
Just now, LastSamurai714 said:

Exactly.  Nothing else to spend points on other than a skill that gives a negligible bonus for a significant penalty.

There's no penalty on cruisers.  It's just a straight AP damage buff for guns larger than 190mm.  Only issues are that 1) the buff is small and 2) it's 3 points, so it's not particularly attractive.

[UNC]
Members
888 posts
6,240 battles

Yeah, I feel like the supercruisers are about the only ships that will gain a significant benefit from this.  Even on a ship like Petro it only adds around 300 damage per shell, but most of the supercruisers base AP is around 9000 or so.

Members
3,949 posts
43,391 battles

It is useful on 305mm cruisers modern and BBs 305mm and above. You just have to offset the penalty with basics of survivability skill and damage control system mod 2. 

If you are good at centerline core shots even at a bow tanked target, overmatch in the bow, engine block, crown jewels, sailing away, angled, kited, turning, filthy Sanchez, and of course..WIDE. then this is for you. 

But if you are that Dead Eye skills guy, that never hit from far, but uses Dead Eye to see if it helps, then I think that you should give yourself a few days on Dead Eye and switch to this skill when you realize that sailing in closer actually makes your BB more efficient and useful for your team.

I personally don't use Dead Eye. I tested it and it is vulnerable to undercut spotting by red. So a waste of 4 points in my opinion. 

The hard counter now for Thunderers and Conquerors with this skill is to use a DD to spot them , and keep them spotted. This breaks Dead Eye and of course neither BB can go dark even if they stop firing. 

I used this tactic myself in a DD and watched my team roll this type of BB over almost every time. 

WG will have to modify this skill or make a substitution. 

Or Thunderers and Conquerors will only last about 4 minutes or less in a match. 

• Cool 1

[-WD-]
Members
493 posts
9,322 battles
54 minutes ago, Fel0niusMonk said:

There's no penalty on cruisers.  It's just a straight AP damage buff for guns larger than 190mm.  Only issues are that 1) the buff is small and 2) it's 3 points, so it's not particularly attractive.

Oh I thought we were talking about the 5% damage +30% burn time or something but that’s BB’s eh? 

[PVE]
Members
7,560 posts
23,541 battles
1 hour ago, Fel0niusMonk said:

Last Samurai was saying he took the super heavy skill because there was no other option than skills that have a penalty .

[PVE]
Members
7,560 posts
23,541 battles
23 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

It is useful on 305mm cruisers modern and BBs 305mm and above. You just have to offset the penalty with basics of survivability skill and damage control system mod 2. 

If you are good at centerline core shots even at a bow tanked target, overmatch in the bow, engine block, crown jewels, sailing away, angled, kited, turning, filthy Sanchez, and of course..WIDE. then this is for you. 

But if you are that Dead Eye skills guy, that never hit from far, but uses Dead Eye to see if it helps, then I think that you should give yourself a few days on Dead Eye and switch to this skill when you realize that sailing in closer actually makes your BB more efficient and useful for your team.

I personally don't use Dead Eye. I tested it and it is vulnerable to undercut spotting by red. So a waste of 4 points in my opinion. 

The hard counter now for Thunderers and Conquerors with this skill is to use a DD to spot them , and keep them spotted. This breaks Dead Eye and of course neither BB can go dark even if they stop firing. 

I used this tactic myself in a DD and watched my team roll this type of BB over almost every time. 

WG will have to modify this skill or make a substitution. 

Or Thunderers and Conquerors will only last about 4 minutes or less in a match. 

Think you're missing something there Steel...spotting them doesn't cancel the deadeye skill...you (or a teammate) need to be spotted (w/in their detection range) to cancel the deadeye skill.

If you're undetected the skill still functions unless another teammate is detected in their (the specific player/players w/the deadeye skill) detection range.

That's why it's recommended to take CE (& concealment mod) w/deadeye to bring your detection down to lessen the radius that red ships can be spotted in to cancel the skill.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

Members
3,949 posts
43,391 battles
9 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Think you're missing something there Steel...spotting them doesn't cancel the deadeye skill...you (or a teammate) need to be spotted (w/in their detection range) to cancel the deadeye skill.

If you're undetected the skill still functions unless another teammate is detected in their (the specific player/players w/the deadeye skill) detection range.

That's why it's recommended to take CE (& concealment mod) w/deadeye to bring your detection down to lessen the radius that red ships can be spotted in to cancel the skill.

I sailed in under the detection of both ships. And perma spotted them.

[PVE]
Members
7,560 posts
23,541 battles
12 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I sailed in under the detection of both ships. And perma spotted them.

That's good for detecting them so your team can hit them...but it doesn't cancel the effects of heir deadeye skill if you remain undetected.

My comment was specifically in reference to your statements "it's vulnerable to undercut spotting" & "use DD to spot & keep them spotted...this breaks deadeye"...it actually doesn't break the deadeye unless you or a teammate is spotted in their detection range.

It of course makes them vulnerable to attacks...& if your team pushes up close enough that will break their deadeye...but just spotting them doesn't.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,912 posts
15,605 battles

I think there was a typo, the battleship version was meant to be minus-3 captain skill points. 

[WOLF1]
Members
6,041 posts
3 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Ive gone full HE. Now... if a Cruiser like a Kuma should sashay across with broadside and stacks showing, why sure AP the darn think get many citadels to boot. If not also deotnate the thing clear out of the water. I usually drop everything to get rounds AP into a british light cruier and so forth. The rewards are just satisfying on a big scale if you don't also delete the thing with one salvo has happens now and then.

I got a HE rocket citadel on a Leander a few days ago. T6 CV, T6 Leander.  

Sign in to follow this