You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Edgecase

Can we talk about spam?

38 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,662 posts
21,572 battles

Specifically, this thing:

CtxysOa.png

Not only is this egregiously huge and willing to pop up while I'm in the middle of work, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to turn it off. The WGC itself contains no setting to do so, and it ignores the Windows system settings for pop-up notifications, because it doesn't appear to use the Windows notification service.

This is downright bad behavior for any application. I associate it with malware, honestly. Especially since this is obviously a commercial promotion. I don't keep WGC around so it can feed me ads.

As it doesn't seem interested in following the rules, I've removed WGC from auto-start. I'll just launch and patch manually, and close it the minute I'm out of the game; whatever convenience this thing has isn't worth the intrusion. I know a lot of people were skeptical that WGC isn't doing nefarious things behind the curtain to begin with, and I can only imagine this isn't doing wonders for their trust.

At the very least, can we get some kind of switch to turn toast notifications off?

• Cool 15
  • Thanks 2

[--K--]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,797 posts
5,977 battles

I could hop on board this. Had a steel general ad popup when i went to start playing today. Please give an option to turn them off or not spam us with them please.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,750 posts
4,272 battles

Definitely agree, really makes it seem like a sketchy piece of software. I would expect better from a big reputable company than pop-up ads for their game I already have installed. No one likes random pop-ups on their desktop. At the very least there absolutely needs to be a way to turn them off in settings.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,619 posts

I have never in my life had spam.  I am not above it, I loves me a good processed meat.  I should buy some.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
232 posts
9,856 battles

These started about a month ago. Normally the pop-ups were only status updates on installations, new patches being available, etc. Then all of a sudden it had ads for other wg titles. 

Last week there was the "link your mobile number to get texts about doubloon offers". That's nearing malice in my book lol. I already keep WGC off unless I know there's an update pending, but random desktop pop-ups I can't disable? 

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
5,585 posts
6,892 battles

It kinda reminds me of the Starship Trooper "would you like to know more" pop-ups and not in a good way.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
6,637 posts
5,231 battles
3 minutes ago, Lose_dudes said:

I never get these. Strange. Mods?

@Hapa_Fodder

Region maybe? Also I never get those...

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles

Turn off notifications in windows. Bottom right of your screen.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,662 posts
21,572 battles
8 minutes ago, Lose_dudes said:

@Hapa_Fodder

4 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Ugh, one of the few things that would annoy me more than them adding this horrible behavior is them A/B testing it and me getting stuck in a beta I never signed up for. Can I turn THAT off too if it's the case?

1 minute ago, paradat said:

Doesn't work. They're not Windows notifications. They're just window-shaped images that the WGC throws in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Edited by Edgecase

[WOLFG]
Members
11,593 posts
10,718 battles
6 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Me either.  I'd have remembered it and wondered why it didn't have a never talk to me again button.

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,559 posts
4,771 battles
34 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I have never in my life had spam.  I am not above it, I loves me a good processed meat.  I should buy some.

I can't tell you it's yummy, but the VIkings apparently conquered Britain with it.

viking.png

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles
3 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Doesn't work. They're not Windows notifications. They're just window-shaped images that the WGC throws in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Managing notifications in focus assist certainly does work. You can stop notifications from any programs on your system.

[REKTD]
Members
533 posts
10,704 battles
28 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

You must try it! It is excellent processed meat. And, it is unlikely to make you sick immediately, like real undercooked meats could. Safety first! 

As to OP - 

• I certainly would never put this game on my work PC, so I cannot claim experiencing this same issue.
  • Re: the Port screen pop-ups - I’m thinking that pop-ups are the latest rage in the corporate world.
    • They annoy the the customer (big win)
    • Often, they are clicked by mistake (gets your message across via deception - this is key because it sets the deception precedent for later use)
    • Pop-ups distract the customer from the many faults that may exist in the main game / article, thus taking their attention away and reinforcing attention spans less than that of a gnat.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,662 posts
21,572 battles
11 minutes ago, paradat said:

Managing notifications in focus assist certainly does work. You can stop notifications from any programs on your system.

I'm pretty sure I and several others have had these messages appear even with Focus Assist enabled or Notifications disabled. They're not notifications. They are graphics drawn by the WGC app that look like notifications.

[PVE]
Members
13,195 posts
27,680 battles
17 minutes ago, paradat said:

Doesn't work. I get the popups and I have notifications disabled. They have managed to work around it.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles
Just now, Edgecase said:

I'm pretty sure I and several others have had these messages appear even with Focus Assist enabled or Notifications disabled. They're not notifications. They are graphics drawn by the WGC app that look like notifications.

Hmm OK I will mess with it on my home machine.

• Cool 1

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,494 posts
14,963 battles
40 minutes ago, Lose_dudes said:

@Hapa_Fodder

This may not happen for everyone if you have your privacy settings set up a certain way.

28 minutes ago, paradat said:

This is the best way to shut these off, I have gone through on my system awhile back and set my privacy settings for notifications to pretty much off. And haven't seen them either, but I know they are there and they can be annoying.

This feedback has been sent up however.

-Hapa

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
13,195 posts
27,680 battles
21 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

This may not happen for everyone if you have your privacy settings set up a certain way.

This is the best way to shut these off, I have gone through on my system awhile back and set my privacy settings for notifications to pretty much off. And haven't seen them either, but I know they are there and they can be annoying.

This feedback has been sent up however.

-Hapa

Focus Assist doesn't do anything to help if you have notifications disabled entirely as I do. It is designed to customize the notifications so you get what you want/eliminate those you don't but it keeps them on. The WGC ones are coming through for me even with notifications 100% off.

[SALVO]
Members
6,637 posts
5,231 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

The WGC ones are coming through for me even with notifications 100% off.

Have you tried closing WGC when not playing?

Members
478 posts
2,851 battles

Got my first one today - some WG steel game. Obnoxious. Not the way a reputable company would act. We're already buying multiple ships for $50+ ... they want more?

[SALVO]
Members
6,637 posts
5,231 battles
1 minute ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

Got my first one today - some WG steel game. 

Steel Division 2 is actually nice IMO. Campaign AI needed more work tho, not sure it they fixed that.

• Meh 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,559 posts
4,771 battles

On Win7.  Do I even have Focus Assist?  I don't see WG's.

Otoh, I got 'free game' notifications from Epic Games launcher for a while and now I can't get it to send them.