You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Almedius

The Dazzle Skill

38 comments in this topic

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
190 posts
4,402 battles

This skill seems to have gone under the radar...but since the update I've been using dazzle + CE + RPF on almost all my DDs. The ability to dominate caps and win games has been too good to be true. I still cant really believe the results...but... I rarely see this skill being used or recommended...despite the obvious benefits dazzle gives to playing with aggression, covering up mistakes, and being missed by CVs...Its just flat out cruel to secondary BBs that struggle to hit you anyway...so...My question is this...What do you think about the dazzle skill?...either using it or going up against it...

[CAP]
Members
398 posts
16,858 battles

They do need to make the ship shoot up glitter when it triggers.

Torp boats have a +8% speed skill; brawling DDs might end up having to choose between brawler or Dazzle w/ CE.  Gun DDs have +20% range, CE, Brawler, and Dazzle at level 4.  That 16 pts + 6 T1-3 skills would be 22 pts.  That is without the -5% to reload at T3 and Survivability Expert (+HP).

I think gun DDs certainly have a lot of options to test/resolve.  Is dazzle worth not getting +20% range?  etc.

Edited by Jitta77
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,750 posts
4,272 battles
7 minutes ago, Jitta77 said:

Definitely agree here

7 minutes ago, Jitta77 said:

Torp boats have a +8% speed skill; brawling DDs might end up having to choose between brawler or Dazzle w/ CE.  Gun DDs have +20% range, CE, Brawler, and Dazzle at level 4.  That 16 pts + 6 T1-3 skills would be 22 pts.  That is without the -5% to reload at T3 and Survivability Expert (+HP).

I think gun DDs certainly have a lot of options to test/resolve.  Is dazzle worth not getting +20% range?  etc.

Range is a tricky question on gun DDs already. It increases your gun bloom so you get spotted further away when you shoot. Also for several DDs the shell velocities make it incredibly hard to hit things at the extended range, so again it's not that useful there. While there are some DDs that use the range (Khaba) it's not as common as you might think. Add the benefits of Dazzle and there are a lot of DDs where giving up the range is an easy choice.

To answer the OP's question, it's barely been a week, people are still figuring things out. If it does turn out to work this well then I'm sure it will be recommended as people start getting comfortable with new skills.

[VAST_]
Members
157 posts
5,026 battles
19 minutes ago, Jitta77 said:

Fab-u-lous! :cap_like: 

[RLGN]
Members
15,491 posts
27,200 battles

Don’t know what to think; haven’t bothered to even try any of the bells and whistles skills yet.

Agree with the range comments though; destroyers live by concealment. I consider anything that increases their detectability to be a solid negative.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[SOBA6]
Members
255 posts

You really noticed a big difference using Dazzle? I tried it out on my Shima and honestly didn't see much difference when contesting caps. My win/lose rate nevr changed and the amount of battles I took massive damage didn't seem to alter. I kept wondering if it was truly working as intended as there is really not much way of knowing in the heat of the moment. 

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
190 posts
4,402 battles
2 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

You really noticed a big difference using Dazzle? I tried it out on my Shima and honestly didn't see much difference when contesting caps. My win/lose rate nevr changed and the amount of battles I took massive damage didn't seem to alter. I kept wondering if it was truly working as intended as there is really not much way of knowing in the heat of the moment. 

There's a huge difference in the volleys from the ships supporting the DDs most especially. We all know how much a difference Deadeye makes @ 10% to dispersion...well dazzle is 20%...and it's pretty enormous and comical of a difference to me. I know if its still up or not just looking at the incoming dispersion....It really does look like anti-deadeye x 2...I've gone from being terrified of CVs to seeing drops as more of a nuisance...The combination of those 3 skills just seems to make DD play so comfortable/safe... with 19 point captains I do agonize over missed skills...and I wonder if I'm missing out on some better combination...

• Thanks 2

[REKTD]
Members
533 posts
10,704 battles
3 minutes ago, Almedius said:

There's a huge difference in the volleys from the ships supporting the DDs most especially. We all know how much a difference Deadeye makes @ 10% to dispersion...well dazzle is 20%...and it's pretty enormous and comical of a difference to me. I know if its still up or not just looking at the incoming dispersion....It really does look like anti-deadeye x 2...I've gone from being terrified of CVs to seeing drops as more of a nuisance...The combination of those 3 skills just seems to make DD play so comfortable/safe... with 19 point captains I do agonize over missed skills...and I wonder if I'm missing out on some better combination...

I think the words I made  bold in your post may increase the use of Dazzle exponentially.

I personally have not gotten out any DDs post rework, but am eager to try on Jervis and a few others that seem to “get surprised” with detection.

[CAP]
Members
398 posts
16,858 battles
19 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Don’t know what to think; haven’t bothered to even try any of the bells and whistles skills yet.

Agree with the range comments though; destroyers live by concealment. I consider anything that increases their detectability to be a solid negative.

Yeah, HE smoke spammers (IJN, Feis) might want the range to stay out of the 12km radar soup but the many deadeye BBs are reducing the RUS CA numbers a bit.  I agree that knife fighters like Daring would not want the range.

[CAP]
Members
398 posts
16,858 battles
22 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

Another reason for the skill to shoot up glitter when it triggers so you know when your 15 seconds has started. :) 

Edit: the +20% seems to have a big effect on secondaries. 

Edited by Jitta77
spelling
  • Cool 1

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,142 posts
9,079 battles

I would take the skill if wg was more transparent about the details. How long it worked, the cooldown (if any), icon on the screen when it was active, etc.

I have noticed salvoes aimed at some dds were so inaccurate, now way to be sure it was dazzle but that is what I am going to assume because those salvoes where not normal for those ships. 

[WKY04]
Members
3,860 posts
24,474 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Argus said:

Every conditional skill needs to have an icon that lights up when it is active, like the detection warning. 

I can tell from the minimap when those dependent on range should be active; I want a confirmation from the devs that it is active. 

Edited by Pugilistic
  • Cool 2

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
522 posts
14,902 battles
1 hour ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

I couldnt fit Dazzle on any of my hybrid DDs without sacrificing both AR and BFT.

The new "BFT" is nerfed anyway. Its only 5% vs the old 10%.  Its really not worth the points anymore.

[SALVO]
Members
6,637 posts
5,231 battles

Dazzle looks very nice, but on most builds it come as the 3rd skill, and I've no 18 pointers yet

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,083 posts
18,653 battles

Not sure it is as valuable for run and gun DDs. Better for builds that hope to be visible only for short periods of time. Not worthless but maybe better options.

[CVA16]
Members
6,083 posts
18,653 battles
2 hours ago, Almedius said:

I've gone from being terrified of CVs to seeing drops as more of a nuisance.

Would dazzle work for most CV attacks? Seems like the CV would have you spotted for at least 15 seconds before it drops. Not always though. Have to watch a replay with a stop watch. It would definitely help vs the various ships trying to use that spotting to hit you.

[PHD]
Members
1,797 posts
7,231 battles

Nice to hear. :cap_horn: New info is welcome. I am laying low and not playing much because of time, and rework developed lack of enthusiasm. 

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
190 posts
4,402 battles
12 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Would dazzle work for most CV attacks? Seems like the CV would have you spotted for at least 15 seconds before it drops. Not always though. Have to watch a replay with a stop watch. It would definitely help vs the various ships trying to use that spotting to hit you.

Its very helpful with both...15 seconds is a long time

18 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Not sure it is as valuable for run and gun DDs. Better for builds that hope to be visible only for short periods of time. Not worthless but maybe better options.

I think it depends more on the gun range...I used dazzle + CE + RPF for my first ever PvP Akizuki match...did around 100k damage with just my guns / not including torps...it felt comfortable with 12km+ range...the Harekaze with 9km range was a lot more work to use them effectively...it still worked great though...

[SALVO]
Members
6,637 posts
5,231 battles
19 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Usually a CV can't line an attack and keep you spotted at the same time if you turn off AA, the debuff looks great but idk how much can it help against rockets given the already dispersed parameters of the attack

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,170 posts
12,736 battles
4 hours ago, Almedius said:

think about the dazzle skill

Personally, i believe the dazzle skill is a covert bis skill WG crafted with DDs using their legendary modules on mind. It is beyond reasonable doubt a powerful skill, which probably stacks with the concealment module to give classic gunboats a fighting chance against MN and PE DDs which have been dominating the higher tiers.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,972 posts
9,887 battles
32 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Would dazzle work for most CV attacks? Seems like the CV would have you spotted for at least 15 seconds before it drops.

Assuming your DD has a sub-3km air detection, and you use your AA judiciously, the first run will be Dazzled, and there's a good chance the rest will be too. It depends on how quick the planes can swing back around.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
190 posts
4,402 battles

When CVs try to drop me I break out my secret weapon

Bedazzler.jpg

[WPORT]
Members
7,818 posts
12,868 battles

:Smile_veryhappy:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,630 posts
9,965 battles
9 hours ago, Almedius said:

This skill seems to have gone under the radar...but since the update I've been using dazzle + CE + RPF on almost all my DDs

So you leave all but one of the following skills on the table: AR, SI, SE, torp reload, gun reload + AA

Iunno, 15% dispersion debuff for enemies is nice, but I'd much rather have more HP / more consumables / more DPM, than a skill that sort of maybe gives you better RNG when you get shot at.