You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WhiteTulip

IJN CA Build in 10.0 Meta

10 comments in this topic

Members
643 posts
9,271 battles

I'm having a lot of trouble getting a build that I like for IJN CA's. After the captain skill rework, the CA in general seems a bit off. I sold almost all of my German CA's already. Anyone have any ideas on how to layout IJN CA's?

I tried the anti-concealment version that some have tried with the Germans. With the Germans it's very situational - without someone spotting for you it's hard to do any damage while you're constantly spotted and focused. That didn't work very well for the IJN CA's. 

What are others trying? I'm very curious.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,141 posts
11,205 battles
5 minutes ago, WhiteTulip said:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting a build that I like for IJN CA's. After the captain skill rework, the CA in general seems a bit off. I sold almost all of my German CA's already. Anyone have any ideas on how to layout IJN CA's?

I tried the anti-concealment version that some have tried with the Germans. With the Germans it's very situational - without someone spotting for you it's hard to do any damage while you're constantly spotted and focused. That didn't work very well for the IJN CA's. 

What I have found is that anti-concealment works well for the French and the Italians, but not so well for anyone else. With the Japanese, I still have a more traditional style build:

Japanese Cruisers
1 Grease the Gears
2 Priority Target
3 Superintendent
4 Concealment Expert
3 Adrenaline Rush
4 Radio Location
1 Gun Feeder
3 Survivability Expert

Members
643 posts
9,271 battles
1 minute ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

What I have found is that anti-concealment works well for the French and the Italians, but not so well for anyone else. With the Japanese, I still have a more traditional style build:

Japanese Cruisers
1 Grease the Gears
2 Priority Target
3 Superintendent
4 Concealment Expert
3 Adrenaline Rush
4 Radio Location
1 Gun Feeder
3 Survivability Expert

Thanks. How far up the food chain are you using Survivability Expert? I never used it on 8's and below before, but I've been trying it since the rework. 

I've also been trying Brawler, Thresher and Demoman as well, but not found any of them to be particularly helpful.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,141 posts
11,205 battles
5 minutes ago, WhiteTulip said:

Thanks. How far up the food chain are you using Survivability Expert? I never used it on 8's and below before, but I've been trying it since the rework. 

I've also been trying Brawler, Thresher and Demoman as well, but not found any of them to be particularly helpful.

Survivability Expert is mostly meant for Zao, as it has a very low HP total for a Tier X cruiser. I do however run it on ARP Myoko, as my 21 point Yamamoto commands that boat. The order I listed them in is the order I take them, with Survivability Expert saved for last, as only Zao at the top really needs it.

Note: I don't have Zao, but the skill made my list after consulting with clan mates that do use Zao.

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
7,195 battles
15 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Japanese Cruisers
1 Grease the Gears
2 Priority Target
3 Superintendent
4 Concealment Expert
3 Adrenaline Rush
4 Radio Location
1 Gun Feeder
3 Survivability Expert

My build on IJN CAs is near identical to this as well. I have been playing with the armour piercing skill rather than survivability expert, but both skills are pretty marginal.

I have been running a no concealment HE build on Yoshino. It has been shockingly effective, and my survivability and game impact has actually gone up from my old concealment-centric build.

• Cool 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,141 posts
11,205 battles
55 minutes ago, AdmiralPiett said:

My build on IJN CAs is near identical to this as well. I have been playing with the armour piercing skill rather than survivability expert, but both skills are pretty marginal.

I have been running a no concealment HE build on Yoshino. It has been shockingly effective, and my survivability and game impact has actually gone up from my old concealment-centric build.

Considering the range Yoshino likes to operate from, I find this completely believable. In fact, going anti-concealment with it is probably as effective as Dead Eye is for Yamato, only instead of gaining accuracy, you are gaining a significant rate of fire buff.

• Cool 1

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
7,195 battles
9 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Considering the range Yoshino likes to operate from, I find this completely believable. In fact, going anti-concealment with it is probably as effective as Dead Eye is for Yamato, only instead of gaining accuracy, you are gaining a significant rate of fire buff.

Yeah, I just took it out as a "free resets, YOLO" type game. Then realize how well it synergized with Yoshino. Your concealment is 16.9km, which ironically means if you are playing safe then you can still conceal. BUT you get the increased HE alpha, and the reload boost if you are operating within 16.9km. Plus you increase your game impact, because you spend far more time spotted and being shot at by the enemy. My potential damage per game has gone up significantly, and shots that were meant for you are shots not aimed at whatever questionable teammate is broadsiding in their Iowa or whatever. The super rudder shift mod in place of the concealment module makes dodging a breeze at Yoshino's typical operating ranges.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Members
367 posts
7,570 battles
On 1/28/2021 at 8:10 AM, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Japanese Cruisers
1 Grease the Gears
2 Priority Target
3 Superintendent
4 Concealment Expert
3 Adrenaline Rush
4 Radio Location
1 Gun Feeder
3 Survivability Expert

I would drop AR and SE for AA perks.  CVs are much more common than they used to be and planes are very dangerous for IJN cruisers.  Even though they have weak AA buffing it some can mean the difference between 1-2 strikes and 2-3 strikes and that is a lot of damage mitigated.  Especially when you consider that you are also being spotted by the planes and that is probably even more detrimental to your survival than the planes themselves.  IJN cruisers are stealthy, they survive by only engaging on their terms, losing that is worse than anything else.

[5D7]
Members
192 posts
8,387 battles
On 1/28/2021 at 10:02 AM, WhiteTulip said:

Ill give you y Yamamoto skills, consider this is my capt for both Yoshino and Zao and its currently putting some benefits towards Yoshino more than Zao.

-Grease the Gears
-All three torpedo skills(those fishes, 12km ones, go over 27k base dmg with the skill buff)

-Incoming fire

-superintendent

-concealment expert

-and both AA buffs(this is the more Yoshino based choice,. Why you might think, well Yosh plays a lot of long range and might be focused by CVs and quite curiously has a very workable AA)).

I play Zao mostly as a solo operator, that is without relying upon spotters or support. For this you really need to work on disengaging and torpedoing(therefore the importance of torpedo buffs). Since this ship has a very accurate main gun suite you can deliver very punishing salvos after perhaps two you should break contact as you are not meant to trade blows.  A goo with relative ease(relative as the torpedo drop is the most difficult part and it is VERY difficult) torpedo drop combined with this can get you to sink any ship in game. If you happen to work with a solid DD spotter you can do a lot more, but that gets you to depend on someone else.

Also I have ditched the UU as it does not get you the needed rudder response to trade for the range and in current meta with BBs accuracy is not a good trade for this babe.

On 1/29/2021 at 12:33 PM, AdmiralPiett said:

Yeah, I just took it out as a "free resets, YOLO" type game. Then realize how well it synergized with Yoshino. Your concealment is 16.9km, which ironically means if you are playing safe then you can still conceal. BUT you get the increased HE alpha, and the reload boost if you are operating within 16.9km. Plus you increase your game impact, because you spend far more time spotted and being shot at by the enemy. My potential damage per game has gone up significantly, and shots that were meant for you are shots not aimed at whatever questionable teammate is broadsiding in their Iowa or whatever. The super rudder shift mod in place of the concealment module makes dodging a breeze at Yoshino's typical operating ranges.

This are very solid points and therefore a very workable playstyle. Should try it some day.

[ENB]
Members
48 posts
3,915 battles
On 1/29/2021 at 12:33 PM, AdmiralPiett said:

Just got Yoshino and used this build. Very nice for a first game! 1.4 million potential damage, not bad for a cruiser.

Thanks for the advice!

1627.thumb.png.efa534cb0cd895639f9e549b6e070613.png