You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Cromwell

Cruiser Spotting Damage

8 comments in this topic

Members
30 posts
3,627 battles

Anybody have advice on how to reliably get spotting damage as a cruiser? I feel like DDs and CVs are the ones who accumulate it and cruisers when played correctly don't get it. I find I'm playing terribly because I'm trying to get to close and spot the enemy.

[WOLF1]
Members
732 posts
1,761 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Cromwell said:

Anybody have advice on how to reliably get spotting damage as a cruiser? I feel like DDs and CVs are the ones who accumulate it and cruisers when played correctly don't get it. I find I'm playing terribly because I'm trying to get to close and spot the enemy.

Cruisers are not really meant to be spotting for a flank, as that is usually done better in DDs or CVs. This is because DDs have the concealment to get close to the enemy and has smoke to get out of bad positions.

Cruisers are usually the dpm of the flank, with light cruiser hiding behind islands and burning down BBs/hunting DDs and heavy cruisers trying to kill off enemy cruisers and get AP pens on the upper belt/superstructure of BBs

Edited by Boomer625

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,634 posts
25,091 battles

It is pretty easy to get in co-op. Just stay behind a DD and what they tend to do is smoke up as soon as they get spotted. Race thru the smoke and into the bots. This only works if there is no carrier and of course, only if DDs smoke up... 

• Cool 1

Members
30 posts
3,627 battles
53 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

Cruisers are not really meant to be spotting for a flank, as that is usually done better in DDs or CVs. This is because DDs have the concealment to get close to the enemy and has smoke to get out of bad positions.

Cruisers are usually the dpm of the flank, with light cruiser hiding behind islands and burning down BBs/hunting DDs and heavy cruisers trying to kill off enemy cruisers and get AP pens on the upper belt/superstructure of BBs

Yeah that's why I find this dockyard directive frustrating because to accomplish it, you have to play the ship class incorrectly. The notable exception is if you have radar which I try to use but even that is only really against destroyers, which by raw numbers don't yield much damage.

[WOLFH]
Members
1,227 posts

DDs do spot a good deal, but getting any significant amount of spotting damage is largely a joke.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,702 posts
14,866 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

It is pretty easy to get in co-op. Just stay behind a DD and what they tend to do is smoke up as soon as they get spotted. Race thru the smoke and into the bots. This only works if there is no carrier and of course, only if DDs smoke up... 

That will work pretty well even if there is a CV as long as you are not going where their plane squadron is going. Because of how Co-op is they have to yolo in with their planes to do any damage.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,634 posts
25,091 battles
16 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That will work pretty well even if there is a CV as long as you are not going where their plane squadron is going. Because of how Co-op is they have to yolo in with their planes to do any damage.

True, I hadn't that about that. Thank you for pointing that out. 

[PVE]
Members
7,560 posts
23,541 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Cromwell said:

Spec an RN CL for best detection possible & go wide on the flank.

Don't shoot...just spot.

DDs will more than likely get into a knife fight & smoke up & you will be doing all of the spotting.

Ideally done in co-op w/no CVs & on a flank w/lots of islands to spot around so ships can't just spot for themselves.

You can also keep the DD knife fighting w,/your DD spotted if it doesn't smoke up so you can get the spotting damage from the knife fight.

You may need to "prime the pump" by shooting once to get the bots to fire at you so your team has targets to shoot at...but wait until your DD smokes up.

• Cool 1