You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Slayer_Jesse

So, what's the state of the Research Bureau post captain rework?

29 comments in this topic

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
300 posts
7,753 battles

Hello everyone. I've got 23k RB points so far from resetting the US cruiser lines. (I did it more to experience what they're like as I last played the lines before the split than for efficient grinding)

I'm now a decision point, Go for a Unique Upgrade or stick it out for an RB ship. However, I'm not sure if any of the RB ships are worth it now, or are at least useful to my situation.

I have around 800k fxp banked up, and I don't care for any of the remaining 1m FXP ships, (i already own Alaska)  so I'd be willing to use it for a Harugumo line reset to get double points before the double RB points bonus resets in 2 weeks. I already own the UU for Des Moines, Worcester, and Montana thanks to completing the missions last year before they disappeared.

For UU, I was looking at 1 of the following:

• Yamato Main Battery Director System: increased main battery accuracy is always great for bb,  especially now that deadeye is a thing.
  • Gearing Improved Hull Concealment: I used to run Torpedo Acceleration on mine. Now I get the speed bonus without the range drop. I'm ok with running  Gearing more as a torpedo/hybrid boat these days as its been somewhat outclassed as a pure gunboat, but can obviously still defend itself.
  • Midway Modified External Hardpoints: I have just acquired this ship, but I was able to use some free doubloons from getting Yahagi again to get a perma-camo for her. With bomber Flight Control skill that could make for some really fast and hard hitting planes.

As for the RB Ships:

• Paolo Emilio: While she's got an interesting gimmick, and I do like interesting gimmicks, she's a ship for a line that might not come out for awhile. Though I do have interest in Italian BB's so I suppose with the rework i could use her to train a BB captain with the different skill sets. However I know she also currently has an issue with outrunning her full speed smokes, and I'm concerned about her feast or famine nature, so I'm not really super interested in it.
  • Seigfried: This was the ship I was most interested in pre-rework, but with the removal of damage mitigation skills and the near total removal of secondary skills for cruisers, I doubt she'll be what I wanted.  Heavy AP Shells and Top Grade Gunner would work, but I'm guessing not to the same extent.
  • Colbert: She seems interesting, but with no smoke and ultralight armor she seems hard to play. Granted, I am used to that play style as my most played ship is Atlanta. But If  i did get her i'd be committing to playing french cruisers again, And while I do have up to the tier 9 unlocked, alll of that grind was done before I abandoned them, because they didn't have Main Battery Reload Boosters at the time. So I'd basically be learning how to play them all over again. And my original interest in the french Cruiser line was the "big" 240mm guns on Henri IV, a novelty that has been surpassed by the plethora of battlecruisers that have come out since then.
  • Ohio: The ship I'm currently the most interested in. From what I've read American secondary builds weren't hurt as bad? The thing is, I don't really need her. I have a plethora of American premiums, and just in BB's I have the Texas, Arizona, and most importantly, Missouri. While the big guns would be nice, I'm not sure if they're enough of an advantage over the Montana's 16 in spam since they don't overmatch like Yamato's 18s do. I'd also be giving up the survivability build I have going for UU Montana that puts out fires/floods in 21 seconds.
  • Slava: No. Eff Paper Russian bias fantasy ships.

I'd appreciate your feedback, I'm relatively new to this RB stuff. I could just as easily take it or leave it, but I'm willing to put in some work to get something cool once. (I doubt id do more than 1 ship and 1 UU in total though.)

[SGSS]
Members
5,560 posts
18 minutes ago, Slayer_Jesse said:

Hello everyone. I've got 23k RB points so far from resetting the US cruiser lines. (I did it more to experience what they're like as I last played the lines before the split than for efficient grinding)

I'm now a decision point, Go for a Unique Upgrade or stick it out for an RB ship. However, I'm not sure if any of the RB ships are worth it now, or are at least useful to my situation.

I have around 800k fxp banked up, and I don't care for any of the remaining 1m FXP ships, (i already own Alaska)  so I'd be willing to use it for a Harugumo line reset to get double points before the double RB points bonus resets in 2 weeks. I already own the UU for Des Moines, Worcester, and Montana thanks to completing the missions last year before they disappeared.

For UU, I was looking at 1 of the following:

• Yamato Main Battery Director System: increased main battery accuracy is always great for bb,  especially now that deadeye is a thing.
  • Gearing Improved Hull Concealment: I used to run Torpedo Acceleration on mine. Now I get the speed bonus without the range drop. I'm ok with running  Gearing more as a torpedo/hybrid boat these days as its been somewhat outclassed as a pure gunboat, but can obviously still defend itself.
  • Midway Modified External Hardpoints: I have just acquired this ship, but I was able to use some free doubloons from getting Yahagi again to get a perma-camo for her. With bomber Flight Control skill that could make for some really fast and hard hitting planes.

As for the RB Ships:

• Paolo Emilio: While she's got an interesting gimmick, and I do like interesting gimmicks, she's a ship for a line that might not come out for awhile. Though I do have interest in Italian BB's so I suppose with the rework i could use her to train a BB captain with the different skill sets. However I know she also currently has an issue with outrunning her full speed smokes, and I'm concerned about her feast or famine nature, so I'm not really super interested in it.
  • Seigfried: This was the ship I was most interested in pre-rework, but with the removal of damage mitigation skills and the near total removal of secondary skills for cruisers, I doubt she'll be what I wanted.  Heavy AP Shells and Top Grade Gunner would work, but I'm guessing not to the same extent.
  • Colbert: She seems interesting, but with no smoke and ultralight armor she seems hard to play. Granted, I am used to that play style as my most played ship is Atlanta. But If  i did get her i'd be committing to playing french cruisers again, And while I do have up to the tier 9 unlocked, alll of that grind was done before I abandoned them, because they didn't have Main Battery Reload Boosters at the time. So I'd basically be learning how to play them all over again. And my original interest in the french Cruiser line was the "big" 240mm guns on Henri IV, a novelty that has been surpassed by the plethora of battlecruisers that have come out since then.
  • Ohio: The ship I'm currently the most interested in. From what I've read American secondary builds weren't hurt as bad? The thing is, I don't really need her. I have a plethora of American premiums, and just in BB's I have the Texas, Arizona, and most importantly, Missouri. While the big guns would be nice, I'm not sure if they're enough of an advantage over the Montana's 16 in spam since they don't overmatch like Yamato's 18s do. I'd also be giving up the survivability build I have going for UU Montana that puts out fires/floods in 21 seconds.
  • Slava: No. Eff Paper Russian bias fantasy ships.

I'd appreciate your feedback, I'm relatively new to this RB stuff. I could just as easily take it or leave it, but I'm willing to put in some work to get something cool once. (I doubt id do more than 1 ship and 1 UU in total though.)

I was going Ohio but now sec are out and that was half the cool of it.  So I will wait.

Was hoping FDR.  Maybe another CV will show up.

Edited by jags_domain

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,619 posts

I have Ohio, Emilio and Slava.

Ohio is a solid ship and I run her often.  Do recommend.

I ran Ohio, Mass and Georgia though a few coop games last night.  Granted, coop, but honestly I really don't see a big difference.  Ended up with over 200 secondary hits in each coop game with each of them and the damage seemed pretty on par with normal.  I could have easily not fired the main guns, backed off from full throttle and slow rolled,  letting the secondaries chew up stuff and raked up over 400 hits, but I was playing normally and running through the bots normally for the test.

Having manual control but with added range and getting both sides firing helps to offset the changes if you ask me. If there is a secondary nerf, it's not as big of deal as people are making it out to be.

Emilio pretty much does what it says on the box.  It's fun, but there are no hidden suprises, it does what it does well and ya get what it says ya get.

Slava....man I dunno why people have this weird aversion to ships that didn't actually exist, in a video game.  I can tell you one thing about Slava though, you are missing out on one heck of a fun ship.  I have had more actual entertainment out of Slava than any of the above.  It is a unique play style and it does not fail to deliver, often.

Slava's particularly favorite thing to do, is show thunderers sitting broadside way in the back, what accuracy really is.  The think they know....until Slava puts 5 shells into their citidel from 21km out and they are still traveling at mach 9, when they find their mark.

[PVE]
Members
13,195 posts
27,680 battles

Ohio is still a good BB it just isn't as good as it was before the Captain Skill Rebork. Still a ship I would get.

[SAF]
Members
124 posts
10,896 battles

I got the seigfried this week and I must say I am really enjoying it. I have the Paulo its fun \O/ and colbert (skip).

[FORM]
Members
2,117 posts
13,013 battles
12 hours ago, Slayer_Jesse said:

As for the RB Ships:

Personally I'm not spending anything for a while until the 10.0 gets tweaked significantly, no money, no doubloons, no RB points, etc. With that said, the only thing in the RB that holds any interest for me is the Paolo and I've seen her used to great effect, so I would be lying if I didn't admit to being tempted. As to the outrunning her smoke, just adjusting the rudder while going full speed will keep her slow enough that she stays hidden - you can't simply point her nose and go anymore. Personally I like that fact, considering her gimmick is so potent it should rightly require a bit of real management. 

And as to my Siegfried... this patch was like a great big "FU in a big red bow" from WG. Yes, they nerfed all battle cruisers by taking away any real survivability skills, but it was a double FU to the Sieg with her secondary skills disappearing. Frankly I wish they would refund my RB points and take the ship, that's the only fair way to handle what they've done to her... though personally I think creating a whole new class for skills for battle cruisers would be a much smarter and better long term fix.

• Cool 7

Members
398 posts
26 battles
8 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Personally I'm not spending anything for a while until the 10.0 gets tweaked significantly, no money, no doubloons, no RB points, etc.

This.
Even if you aren't terribly fussed about making A Point(tm).

It's probably sensible to wait until the waves of inevitable tweaking after such a major shift to the game calms down before spending scarce resources.
I might be overly optimistic but I get the feeling that things as they are aren't the intended state of the game, but we'll see.

• Cool 1

[FLTF1]
Members
272 posts
7,516 battles
On 1/28/2021 at 9:42 AM, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

This.

It's probably sensible to wait until the waves of inevitable tweaking after such a major shift to the game calms down before spending scarce resources.
I might be overly optimistic but I get the feeling that things as they are aren't the intended state of the game, but we'll see.

Everyone is discussing only RB ships, but @Slayer_Jesse also asked about unique upgrades. The questions I also have. So, since everybody seems to agree that we should wait on ships, maybe unique upgrades are worth getting now? Yamato one seems one of the perfect ones, hard to argue against. Or not?

• Thanks 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,268 posts

The Ohio is one of the ships I plan on getting. She offers a few things that I find useful, speed is one and four turrets is the other. The problems with Update 10.0 has put a screeching halt on everything else, including spending plans for the time being. Secondaries and survivability was essentially destroyed by WG with 10.0 update so there is nothing really to go for or want right now. Some ships are going away and frankly good riddance now that the 10.0 has done the damage. The question becomes will they repair the damage done or not. I am planning they wont and so that changes future thoughts for ships if any. The heavy DD german line trumpeted recently turns out to be a liability on slow firing guns and no smoke or hope of any concealment. The 30K hull is easily destroyed. (About the same as Atlanta... they get sunk so much...)

The game has changed and maybe not for the better. Not only there is toxicity and salt but now you are being told what to do in micromanagement from all of your teammates at once in some parts of the game (Such as Gold ranked) that pretty much destroys a large percentage of what is fun in gaming overall. I don't know yet if that is a pernament shift in our Society that thinks being independent and capable of action outside of whats expected is something to be condemned or not. If you were not compliant to the group in game you will find various features weaponised as bans against you by the players with the goal of excluding you entirely. It would be very ironic to have a good game steadily sunk into the mud by the pigs intent on sinking everything and everyone to their lowest level of ability of which there isnt much of in evidence. All of the good opponets and players would have migrated to other games that offer a bright future by then sometime later this year or next.

Time will tell in the end. As for the RB, I am waiting for the 4x bonus to start regrinding some lines even so it wont be much of a grind. Enough FXP and credits will be on hand to reduce it to 5 battles for each of the to 5 ships to complete the haul of close to 50K rb points. If I do this three or four times then everything including the Ohio will be met at any time. There would be nothing else expected unless for some reason WG introduces more ships or content into RB side. (Which seems to be too quiet these days.) I just don't know if there is a future sufficient to engage in a so called investment with money and time etc. The patch 10.0 would be the problem of itself. And I have remembered certain games that were broken by patches in the past 20 years; the question is will Wows be one of those sent to the ash heap? We will find out in due time.

[SGSS]
Members
5,560 posts
On 1/28/2021 at 7:42 AM, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

This.

Day after free respect the changes will come.

• Cool 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,737 posts
12,346 battles

Paolo Emilio outrunning smoke is only if you optimize for speed. It is otherwise perfectly capable of 100% stealth torping.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,794 posts
7,412 battles

Slava with deadeye & concealment build......  Just saying.   Just got that much better at doing what it was already suppose to be doing.     

[CHBK]
Members
1,041 posts
3,938 battles
On 1/27/2021 at 6:35 PM, Burnsy said:

Having manual control but with added range and getting both sides firing helps to offset the changes if you ask me. If there is a secondary nerf, it's not as big of deal as people are making it out to be.

The only area its very noticeable imo is on DD's.  You are seriously looking at like a sub 10% hit rate on maneuvering DD's with secondaries.  Against BB's and Cruisers I agree, I don't feel too much of a difference.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,077 posts
22,567 battles
On 1/27/2021 at 5:35 PM, Burnsy said:

I have Ohio, Emilio and Slava.

Ohio is a solid ship and I run her often.  Do recommend.

I ran Ohio, Mass and Georgia though a few coop games last night.  Granted, coop, but honestly I really don't see a big difference.  Ended up with over 200 secondary hits in each coop game with each of them and the damage seemed pretty on par with normal.  I could have easily not fired the main guns, backed off from full throttle and slow rolled,  letting the secondaries chew up stuff and raked up over 400 hits, but I was playing normally and running through the bots normally for the test.

I have all 3 USN premiums secondary ships as well.  All three share Halsey and he is a full secondary build).  Overall, I see a slightly lower level of damage and hit rates, but I expected the lower hit rate because they start shooting sooner now than before the rework.  I agree with you that the secondary nerf is not as big a deal as others are making it.

I do NOT regret getting the Ohio at all.  Very good ship.  I recommend it.

The only other ship I was interested in was the Siegfried, but not anymore.    So I will now concentrate on getting the UUs I didn't get under the old system until a new ship is announced.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I'd avoid the cruisers. 

Siegfried lost secondary and survival skills, as you note.

Colbert lost range and ROF boosts, and was "compensated" with a nominal boost in maneuverability. 

[-BCO-]
Members
1,730 posts
2,929 battles
On 1/28/2021 at 2:32 PM, TheArc said:

Personally I'm not spending anything for a while until the 10.0 gets tweaked significantly, no money, no doubloons, no RB points, etc.

100% But I don't think that we gonna see much tweaking.

On 1/28/2021 at 2:32 PM, TheArc said:

And as to my Siegfried... this patch was like a great big "FU in a big red bow" from WG. Yes, they nerfed all battle cruisers by taking away any real survivability skills, but it was a double FU to the Sieg with her secondary skills disappearing. Frankly I wish they would refund my RB points and take the ship, that's the only fair way to handle what they've done to her... though personally I think creating a whole new class for skills for battle cruisers would be a much smarter and better long term fix.

I'll second your opinion. Plus now basically every Bb with deadeye have his main gun gimmick. So much for diversity. But I disagree with the BC skill tree, meaning thaI don't think  that will  happen. The MM then should be adjusted too, which....again I don't see happening.

[-BCO-]
Members
1,730 posts
2,929 battles
40 minutes ago, kyesac said:

I have all 3 USN premiums secondary ships as well.  All three share Halsey and he is a full secondary build).  Overall, I see a slightly lower level of damage and hit rates, but I expected the lower hit rate because they start shooting sooner now than before the rework.  I agree with you that the secondary nerf is not as big a deal as others are making it.

With that I pretty much disagree. For coop is not a big deal but for PvP? It does make a pretty big difference.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,648 posts
27,757 battles
5 hours ago, crazyrom said:

Everyone is discussing only RB ships, but @Slayer_Jesse also asked about unique upgrades. The questions I also have. So, since everybody seems to agree that we should wait on ships, maybe unique upgrades are worth getting now? Yamato one seems one of the perfect ones, hard to argue against. Or not?

Most of the UUs aren't worth using.  Yamato is one of the few that is.  Montana, Harugumo, and Hindenburg are good, but you are giving up the Concealment upgrade.  Des Moines used to have a viable UU, but it has been "re-evaluated" and has become worthless.  Worcester, and Audacious are also a decent choices. The issue with UUs is that by balancing them, WG has largely neutered the benefits with either some sort of drawback.  

[FLTF1]
Members
272 posts
7,516 battles
54 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Most of the UUs aren't worth using.  Yamato is one of the few that is.  Montana, Harugumo, and Hindenburg are good, but you are giving up the Concealment upgrade.  Des Moines used to have a viable UU, but it has been "re-evaluated" and has become worthless.  Worcester, and Audacious are also a decent choices. The issue with UUs is that by balancing them, WG has largely neutered the benefits with either some sort of drawback.  

Around, like, yesterday I saw a guy speaking of Zao, that also looked like a decent one, range and something, hmm shots per minute? with no drawbacks. but well, nobody plays Zao for some reason.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,648 posts
27,757 battles
12 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

Around, like, yesterday I saw a guy speaking of Zao, that also looked like a decent one, range and something, hmm shots per minute? with no drawbacks. but well, nobody plays Zao for some reason.

The Zao upgrade is good, but questionable.  You get a 7% reduction in dispersion, and 8% more range.  Zao already has a tight dispersion, so a 7% reduction doesn't translate to much.  OTOH with GCFS-2 you can get 16% more range (v. 8% with the UU.) 

[PSP]
Members
574 posts
5,040 battles
6 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Day after free respect the changes will come.

Call me cynical, but I can see this happening.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,141 posts
9,079 battles

I am not going to get the Paolo Emilio, I think that its a great example of terrible game design. As for the cruisers both of them have been smashed, the Colbert is terrible in the current meta and the Siegfried lost important skills. If you really want either one I would wait and see if WG makes any changes (which I kind of doubt because they are older). The Ohio is still a top pick though and there are some good legendary mods. 

In my opinion, unless you really want the Ohio I would save the free xp, I bet wg will be replacing the free xp ships in the not to far distant future because they still need the free xp sinks. 

[A-I-M]
Members
3,764 posts
14,705 battles
54 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

The Zao upgrade is good, but questionable.  You get a 7% reduction in dispersion, and 8% more range.  Zao already has a tight dispersion, so a 7% reduction doesn't translate to much.  OTOH with GCFS-2 you can get 16% more range (v. 8% with the UU.) 

The Zao UU, (hereafter referred to as the F-U) however, goes in the slot where the regular range mod can go, so, you’re limited to 17.5 km range, vs. the 18.8 km you could otherwise have.

With the nerf to the F-U that took away the rudder shift, the range reduction forces a too-close-in play style, for which the additional dispersion bonus is an inadequate compensation.

[WOLF3]
Members
29,581 posts
25,666 battles

The Zao Legendary became instantly terrible after its nerf.

The dispersion buff even when it was good was inconsequential:  Anyone that's played Zao already knows how super accurate her shot groups are.

When the Legendary was good, it did several important things for Zao:

1.  Improved her rudder shift time because IJN Cruisers aren't agile.

2.  Allowed Zao to maintain a Full Stealth Build and not require SGM2 in Slot 5.  CSM1 could be kept and the Legendary would give much needed rudder buffing.  The rudder shift buff was taken away in the Legendary's nerf.

3.  The Old Legendary gave a decent compromise:  It improved Zao's range by 8% (but not as long GFCS2 16%), let her maintain Full Stealth Build, and still give the ship much needed agility.

The current Zao Legendary is just straight up trash.

1.  The dispersion buff is unnecessary, as mentioned earlier.  Not to mention Cruisers don't need dispersion buffing already, THEY'RE ALREADY ACCURATE, and Zao was already better in what Cruisers did in accuracy.

2.  The range buff is inconsequential, GFCS2 is better.

With what the Zao Legendary can do now, it's a huge waste and you're better off with GFCS2.  This Legendary went from Hero -> Zero with the nerf.  When this nerf went Live, I immediately took it off my Zao.  I had the Legendary on her for ages.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway