Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WM1957

Optimal minimal 21 point commanders by nation

9 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
256 posts
8,142 battles

Is the optimal minimal number of 21 point commanders 2? example  of 1 for brawling battleships, large cruisers, heavy cruisers, and gunboat destroyers and the other for long range battleships, light cruisers, and torpedo destroyers?

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles
2 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

Is the optimal minimal number of 21 point commanders 2? example  of 1 for brawling battleships, large cruisers, heavy cruisers, and gunboat destroyers and the other for long range battleships, light cruisers, and torpedo destroyers?

for premiums, more or less yes.

but there will be exceptions.

for tech tree, no, you need a dedicated commander for all tech tree ships you intend to run (a commander you can also use in premiums).

Edited by hateboat

[PHD]
Members
256 posts
8,142 battles
10 minutes ago, hateboat said:

for premiums, more or less yes.

but there will be exceptions.

for tech tree, no, you need a dedicated commander for all tech tree ships you intend to run (a commander you can also use in premiums).

The 21 point commanders can work with all the premiums and also be specialized for one tech tree ship which means it can be moved to the one tech tree ship to a premium or special ship for free and can then move back to the designated tech tree ship for free. So that way all your premiums, specials and two of your favorite tech tree ships can be covered.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,568 posts

The optimal number is as many as you can make. 

I am starting working toward one per nation to begin with, focusing on US, German, RU, UK and IJN first.  Of each of those, the captain to be the 21 pointer, is one of the "special" captains.  Which one that is for each nation, for you, depends on what premium ships you have and which ships you play the most.

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles
10 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

The 21 point commanders can work with all the premiums and also be specialized for one tech tree ship which means it can be moved to the one tech tree ship to a premium or special ship for free and can then move back to the designated tech tree ship for free. So that way all your premiums, specials and two of your favorite tech tree ships can be covered.

Yes you are correct, you can only cover 2 tech tree ships, which is hardly very generous. The balance in economic terms has tipped very far in favour of premiums with this skill rework.

[RLGN]
Members
15,462 posts
27,167 battles
10 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

The optimal number is as many as you can make. 

I am starting working toward one per nation to begin with, focusing on US, German, RU, UK and IJN first.  Of each of those, the captain to be the 21 pointer, is one of the "special" captains.  Which one that is for each nation, for you, depends on what premium ships you have and which ships you play the most.

This. ^

Though I actually don’t know what to think at the moment.

None of WG’s bells and whistles skills have motivated me enough to care about even making any 21 point captains. (I could get 4-5 with the E xp I have.)

So far not seeing any point to why I was even worried about having 21point captains.

• Cool 2

Members
1,449 posts

There is defiantly no reason to rush to 21 point commanders, They don't even stack up to pre-update standards of the 19 pointers.

The skills are abysmal and too many are conditional/provisional.

What used to cost one skill point now cost you two skill points.

Some skills were removed to use in other ship types ,not all around skills.

I would wait till WG decides what gets the fixes and what screws you as the player the most.

All my elite captains and less than 21 point commanders are unassigned skill wise.  { Stock captains earn the same as a skilled capt.}

[PISD]
Members
1,809 posts
5,979 battles

Depends of nation. In general:

-you want 1 maxed captain per tier 10 ships, unless you get you hands on some of the premium alternatives like Thunderer and Salem. For the lower tier: it depends of your taste and the premium available. 

[ARGSY]
Members
22,889 posts
16,962 battles
12 hours ago, WM1957 said:

Is the optimal minimal number of 21 point commanders 2?

Correct. With two, you almost always have a 100% ECXP generator to take out. IMHO those two should be in two separate nations which maximize the number and diversity of premium ships available to them, especially if you always like to have the right tool in your kit for doing directive tasks. 

There are currently more premium ships available without having to pay money than at any other time in the history of WOWS.

Sign in to follow this