Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MerlinMedic

RNG needs to be fixed

14 comments in this topic

[ALS]
Members
112 posts
9,674 battles

Ranked battles, kicking the reds all over the place after a rough start, at 2/3 health, just killed the Anchorage.  Turn my bow into the torps I knew were coming, glancing blow and ... *** DEVETATING STRIKE!!!! ***  Match lost to a dead ship.  And you wonder why players complain?  Absolutely [edited] and should never happen, especially in ranked. Fix the RNG.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 3

Members
348 posts
5,710 battles
1 minute ago, Lose_dudes said:

Um... turn better?

Yeah, I mean it happens with torp salvos. Or the devastating strike was as a result of turning into the supposed torpedoes and getting deleted by a BB salvo. We could use some clarification.

Unless OP meant to say it was a detonation?

Members
207 posts
4,412 battles

It is likely that the game engine uses a standard pseudo-random number generator. Even if the RNG was really bad, the normal randomness of the the users interacting with the game during a match would more the sufficiently re-randomize the RNG.

[PVE]
Members
7,633 posts
23,635 battles
1 hour ago, MerlinMedic said:

Ranked battles, kicking the reds all over the place after a rough start, at 2/3 health, just killed the Anchorage.  Turn my bow into the torps I knew were coming, glancing blow and ... *** DEVETATING STRIKE!!!! ***  Match lost to a dead ship.  And you wonder why players complain?  Absolutely [edited] and should never happen, especially in ranked. Fix the RNG.

Sorry but torps aren't RNG...if they hit you they do damage...every time. No ricochets/no overpens/etc.

If they hit a torp belt they do less damage but unfortunately for you in that instance...if they just get a "glancing blow" they hit the unprotected areas (bow/stern) for full damage (saturation or no more HP to take away only exceptions).

No RNG...just contact or no contact...& you got contact.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[FEM]
Members
2,107 posts
17,376 battles

Were you a dd who hit a torp and got killed? Or did you detonate? If you're a dd, hitting a torp wasn't rng. If you detonated, use a det flag in ranked.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,207 posts
22,715 battles

It is a RANDOM number generator! How do you propose they fix it??

Edited by Khafni

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,746 posts
12,386 battles

Torpedoes have no damage variance. They don't magically decide to do extra damage. The only time they'd do extra damage would be from a detonation, which can be prevented with a signal flag.

[SALVO]
Members
26,056 posts
28,834 battles
1 hour ago, Compassghost said:

Torpedoes have no damage variance. They don't magically decide to do extra damage. The only time they'd do extra damage would be from a detonation, which can be prevented with a signal flag.

Actually, there's now a cruiser skill that increases torp damage by +15%, IIRC.

[SALVO]
Members
26,056 posts
28,834 battles
2 hours ago, MerlinMedic said:

Shells in  the air or torps in the water don't care if the ship that fired/launched them died before they struck their target!  What an idiotic complaint.

And there are no glancing blows with torpedoes in WoWS.  They either hit or they don't.  That's it.  You got hit.  And from the sound of it, it seems like that torp detonated your ship.  Sucks to be you.

6,746 posts
12,386 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Actually, there's now a cruiser skill that increases torp damage by +15%, IIRC.

It doesn't change the variance. The variance being +/- damage like how RPG attacks are roll 1d4. The torpedo has a set damage and it applies all of it.

[SALVO]
Members
26,056 posts
28,834 battles
Just now, Compassghost said:

It doesn't change the variance. The variance being +/- damage like how RPG attacks are roll 1d4. The torpedo has a set damage and it applies all of it.

Honestly, compass, part of me wishes that there was a little bit of RNG when applying damage to reflect some of the uncertainty over where a shell or torp strikes the enemy ship.  But I also know that given the volume of shell and torp hits in any given single battle, it's probably too much to ask for the server to handle that volume of RNG damage variance.

6,746 posts
12,386 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, compass, part of me wishes that there was a little bit of RNG when applying damage to reflect some of the uncertainty over where a shell or torp strikes the enemy ship.  But I also know that given the volume of shell and torp hits in any given single battle, it's probably too much to ask for the server to handle that volume of RNG damage variance. 

Shells have variance related to ricochet angles. Torpedoes always overmatch, so there's not much to do about that.

Members
3,990 posts
43,650 battles

You can get saturated at bow and stern, but area between outer turrets is where 100% damage from a torpedo is awarded with the exception of ship's own torpedo protection debuff % which takes off from base damage awarded. That is why so many Smallands die so darn quick hitting a Yammy because Yammy has around 40% debuff in middle only, but most Smalland torps either miss, hit ends, most hit middle, but not enough to sink a Yammy. Then Yammy player just sighs, opens fire,  Smalland dead. 

A torpedo is detonated by contact even a glancing blow is enough to set it off. It is not governed by the rules of artillery but rather by explosion fusing threshold. 

Most detonators were a needle held suspended by gimble and magnets. Upon a slight nudge, the needle that had an electrical wire attached usually electrode positive, would ground to the ring around it as the needle hit the ring from inertia. 

In layman's terms this was called an inertia switch. There were many variations based on nations and technology. 

Even the most common is used on a car alarm so no one can try to move the car. (Inertia switch)

Many Torpedoes used inertia, contact(a different version of inertia) where a sliding ball would move into a grounding source, etc, and magnetic arming. 

Needless to say, this was evolving tech. Ands most didn't work right. 

In your case, you had 2/3rds health, got max hit by a torp, and it was in the hit box in between the turrets. 

That is all it takes. That is why DDs hate torps, the alpha is far more deadly on them if they get hit. 

Sign in to follow this