You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
YouSatInGum

So what happens when there are major "tweaks" to the skills?

44 comments in this topic

[X-PN]
Members
1,499 posts
11,906 battles

While trying to think about what WG might do (I know, a fool's errand) it occurred to me that it is quite possible that WG might make some substantive changes next patch.... and that's the rub....

Right now DeadEye is so good, it's basically THE build for all BBs, even former secondary ones, or least ones that I will still play. 

I can also see some changes in other classes, since cruiser skills like outnumbered are unlikely to have many takers.

Anyway, what happens in a few weeks when there are significant changes necessitating re-skilling, but after 10.0 it will no longer be free. 

Is the player base supposed to foot the "bill" for WG running testing on the live server??

This question will be moot if they hot patch, but based on previous behavior that is unlikely. 

I believe it's very likely this question will come up. 

Edited by YouSatInGum
  • Cool 3

[KEGEL]
Members
283 posts
12,986 battles

This is something that occurred to me also.

Best to assume we won't be compensated further for any major changes to Commander skills.

This is why I'm leaving almost all my captains unskilled till this mess has stabilised somewhat.

Edited by SlightlyComatose
  • Cool 3

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
476 posts
20,520 battles
2 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

While trying to think about what WG might do (I know, a fool's errand) it occurred to me that it is quite possible that WG might make some substantive changes next patch.... and that's the rub....

Right now DeadEye is so good, it's basically THE build for all BBs, even former secondary ones, or least ones that I will still play. 

I can also see some changes in other classes, since cruiser skills like outnumbered are unlikely to have many takers.

Anyway, what happens in a few weeks when there are significant changes necessitating re-skilling, but after 10.0 it will no longer be free. 

Is the player base supposed to foot the "bill" for WG running testing on the live server??

This question will be moot if they hot patch, but based on previous behavior that is unlikely. 

image.thumb.png.0cb6f36960766d66b96700beadfe5ad1.pngimage.thumb.png.0cb6f36960766d66b96700beadfe5ad1.pngimage.thumb.png.0cb6f36960766d66b96700beadfe5ad1.pngimage.thumb.png.0cb6f36960766d66b96700beadfe5ad1.png

• Thanks 7

[ADR]
Members
4,505 posts
16,859 battles

What will happen is;

1. they will change the skills

2. you will be required to pay to respec out of the ones they changed ie. Deadeye and whatever under/overperforming ones they change)

3. everyone will come here and complain.

4.  you will still be required to pay to respec.

• Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,085 posts
11,501 battles

I would agree there may be some changes and that remains to be seen. I’m not sure the dead ice skill is over powered as much as it is changing battleship play potentially. As far as the outnumbered skill goes, I do have it on a few ships and I see it being more useful in clan battles then maybe random’s or other competitive modes. Particularly on ships that have to hold down flanks from an enemy push like Hindenburg or even petro. I plan to reset all the commanders that I spec the last day of the patch

[X-PN]
Members
1,499 posts
11,906 battles

image.png.cbaf97a6adc20dca7170ea29414c6927.png

Still not sure how comforting that is.  They decide what is "significant".

Guess I can try to use the all powerful  "One button to reset them all"  a day before 10.0 ends, but then I get re skill a few hundred captains all over again... and probably forget here and there and run a zero skill captain on occasion.

• Cool 2

[X-PN]
Members
1,499 posts
11,906 battles
Just now, ditka_Fatdog said:

I would agree there may be some changes and that remains to be seen. I’m not sure the dead ice skill is over powered as much as it is changing battleship play potentially. As far as the outnumbered skill goes, I do have it on a few ships and I see it being more useful in clan battles then maybe random’s or other competitive modes. Particularly on ships that have to hold down flanks from an enemy push like Hindenburg or even petro. I plan to reset all the commanders that I spec the last day of the patch

On some ships that have overmatch like Thunderer, Vermont, legendary Yammy, etc. it is definitely OP.  When I can land 7 or 8 shells on a bow in BB at 22km for 16k damage and 2 fires (Thunderer of course), that's OP and not fair.  Like CV's his counterplay options are all bad.   

It has made T10 cruisers much less fun to play.  I have to play so defensively, it's just not fun....even though I was a cruiser main, at least at T8-10, I"ll play something else....and I"m not the only one who feels this way.  You can see in the queue.... 1 and 2 cruiser games used to be rare, not now.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I'm not even building captains until some things get fixed, such as the lack of BOS and PM for cruisers, lack of range and ROF boosting skills for small-gun cruisers, etc.  

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
659 posts
7,830 battles
50 minutes ago, Admiral_Kartoffel said:

image.thumb.png.0cb6f36960766d66b96700beadfe5ad1.pngimage.thumb.png.0cb6f36960766d66b96700beadfe5ad1.pngimage.thumb.png.0cb6f36960766d66b96700beadfe5ad1.pngimage.thumb.png.0cb6f36960766d66b96700beadfe5ad1.png

Don't you love weasel words like "significant"?

It's just about vague enough to only apply if the company using it really can't squirm out from under the situation.

It allows for such wonderful things as "the change wasn't significant enough to justify...", and "In view of the limited changes recently applied...".

P.S.: I hope there's a 10th circle of Hell reserved just for Edward Bernays.

• Cool 3

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,265 posts

I believe WG will expect the players to pay for it.

Thats how more cash is generated ...

Weegee being weegee again.

So who knows what they will throw at the playerbase.

[SALVO]
Members
6,535 posts
5,215 battles

Every change to captain skills has come hand-in-hand with free respecs, afaik always has been the case, and it is stated it will continue to be. Really, all this misinformation is :etc_swear:.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,231 posts
12,069 battles

Not wasting my time worrying about dead eye or any of this it's pretty much over rated and over hyped for the average player . I speck my captains with the new skills and try them out if I like them I keep them if I don't I try again .This game is for fun I work for living . I don't mind mind trying out new builds and new skills I rather like it . It's better than working so if they they change things then I will change things .

Not going to sit around and cry about the possibility that they might charge me to redo my captain skills later they said they wont . So I will cross that bridge when I get to it I understand everyone is all about "what's go to happen " .  But I don't see any sense in this we have enough to stress about why stress about things that haven't even happened yet ? 

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 5

[SALVO]
Members
26,043 posts
28,736 battles
19 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I'm not even building captains until some things get fixed, such as the lack of BOS and PM for cruisers, lack of range and ROF boosting skills for small-gun cruisers, etc.  

For better or worse, I wouldn't count on those fixes/changes, Killjoy.  For one thing, with supercruisers, they could get around the need for BoS and/or FP by just reducing the basic burn time for those ships. 

As for DD-gunned cruisers, I'd argue that extended range range may not be necessary (outside of the Flint).  I don't know what the range on the Colbert is, but the max range on the Smolensk without AFT is around 16 or so km, which should be more than sufficient.  And there's already a RoF enhancing skill in the tree which is essentially BFT, just by another name.  That said, a mere 5% RoF buff is pretty freaking lame for any cruiser's guns, and could stand to be buffed back to the old BFT numbers.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,542 posts
10,689 battles
10 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Every change to captain skills has come hand-in-hand with free respecs, afaik always has been the case, and it is stated it will continue to be. Really, all this misinformation is :etc_swear:.

We had a number of free respecs during the CV rework.  They stopped giving out free captain retraining at some point though :cap_viking:

[SALVO]
Members
6,535 posts
5,215 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

We had a number of free respecs during the CV rework.  They stopped giving out free captain retraining at some point though :cap_viking:

I wasn't around at the time, but I suspect it was because the changes were related to game mechanics and not captain skills. RPF, IFHE... all came with free respec.

[KWF]
Members
5,544 posts
6,848 battles

At that point maybe picking a few ship commanders to keep while resetting the rest is possibly the safer choice.

Edited by warheart1992

[SALVO]
Members
6,535 posts
5,215 battles
16 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

At thar point maybe picking a few ship commanders to keep while resetting the rest is possibly the safer choice.

I'm testing so much silly builds that I'm taking no chances, I'm reseting everything again at patch's end.

• Cool 2

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
322 posts
8,376 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I am with you in principle on this BUT the CV rework has taught me that they will never really fix things just continually make changes - which will require me to either spend money to stay current; or just play with sub-optimal builds. Maybe that is the point. I am a lot less trusting of WG since their last "live server testing." 

• Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,085 posts
11,501 battles
1 hour ago, YouSatInGum said:

On some ships that have overmatch like Thunderer, Vermont, legendary Yammy, etc. it is definitely OP.  When I can land 7 or 8 shells on a bow in BB at 22km for 16k damage and 2 fires (Thunderer of course), that's OP and not fair.  Like CV's his counterplay options are all bad.   

It has made T10 cruisers much less fun to play.  I have to play so defensively, it's just not fun....even though I was a cruiser main, at least at T8-10, I"ll play something else....and I"m not the only one who feels this way.  You can see in the queue.... 1 and 2 cruiser games used to be rare, not now.

What you said about thunder is pretty much exactly like it was before the rework. A long range spamming and highly accurate battle ship that did that already. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions or what they see or perceive but I have played many cruiser games since the rework and don’t notice much change in my ability to be effective

[USCC]
Members
3,116 posts
14,656 battles
28 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I'm testing so much silly builds that I'm taking no chances, I'm reseting everything again at patch's end.

I'm basically going to do the same, except I'm just working on a select set of ships, and only playing with those builds.
resetting everything one more time at the end of patch is going to be a pain as that button was a "one time use" so it's all gotta be done manually. :Smile_sceptic:

[-BUI-]
Members
2,523 posts
6,761 battles

They'll wait until this 30 day period or so is over, announce changes during the last week before 10.1, allow one SINGLE resets after that for the adjustments, which will be minor nerfs and call the whole thing complete.

Just wait.

Edited by Zenn3k
  • Cool 1

[NSEW]
Members
2,222 posts
11,747 battles
3 hours ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

What will happen is;

1. they will change the skills

2. you will be required to pay to respec out of the ones they changed ie. Deadeye and whatever under/overperforming ones they change)

3. everyone will come here and complain.

4.  you will still be required to pay to respec.

You missed 5th one.

5. You will have 1 day to FREE Respec.

Members
1,449 posts

I am using my no skill captains, They seem alright stock without skills for now.

Maybe around Dec. 2021 I will commit to using some skills.

Maybe the op builds will be revealed by then.

Good thing the Captain skills don't effect the earnings of Elite c exp or credits or exp in general.

[RVNHQ]
Members
364 posts
10,965 battles

Only been using my unique French and British commander. I plan on resetting everything back to zero the day before update 10.1

[DOG]
Members
1,236 posts
12,933 battles
5 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

I've played around with different builds for several ships, but I find myself more or less taking the same skills (or their rough equivalents) as I did before.  I still have a mostly secondary build on BBs that had it before, but just added Deadeye on top of it, so I could do a bit more sniping during the early game.  I was toying with the idea of going full sniper on my Bourgogne, because it haa pretty accurate main guns anyway, even when you take Secondary Battery Mod 1 instead of Aiming Systems Mod 1 in slot 3.  So combining -7% and -10% dispersion on a ship that is already accurate and can reach out to 28.8 km sounded interesting.  But then I got to thinking that firing at over 20 km gives the target plenty of time to turn and adjust speed, so it would probably be a waste.  I may try it anyway, just for kicks, before the free re-spec goes away.