You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

25 comments in this topic

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,140 posts
11,173 battles

Is there any chance of either the Black or the Benham becoming regularly available again? The wonderful thing about US tech tree DDs is that they can effectively be built into Gun boats, torpedo boats, of AA boats. The premiums tend to be more specialized. That said, I hope to be able to keep a variety of US DDs available depending on division and/or clan need in the future. I will not be running AA boats on odd tiers for obvious reasons. The thing is, since Fletcher can go either gun or torpedo, I would like to set it up to compliment if either of the tier 9 premiums become available again since Benham is a great torpedo boat, and Black is a really good gun boat. Any thoughts?

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,732 posts
12,332 battles

Black should be coming back for coal at some point. No idea when.

• Cool 1

[DVYJC]
Members
3,800 posts
9,384 battles
43 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Is there any chance of either the Black or the Benham becoming regularly available again? The wonderful thing about US tech tree DDs is that they can effectively be built into Gun boats, torpedo boats, of AA boats. The premiums tend to be more specialized. That said, I hope to be able to keep a variety of US DDs available depending on division and/or clan need in the future. I will not be running AA boats on odd tiers for obvious reasons. The thing is, since Fletcher can go either gun or torpedo, I would like to set it up to compliment if either of the tier 9 premiums become available again since Benham is a great torpedo boat, and Black is a really good gun boat. Any thoughts?

Benham is noted in game as a rare ship, so I doubt it will be seen outside of Santa crates ever again. Many other ships that aren't currently available aren't listed as Rare, only those that have been removed or 'retired.' Even Smolensk isn't listed as a Rare ship despite being pulled from availability. 

I'm curious if any of the current ships on the chopping block - Georgia, Alaska, Massachusetts, and Smaland - end up in the halls of rare OP ships of yore

Benham is in the same company as Missouri, Musashi, and Belfast.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[SIM]
Members
5,738 posts
9,263 battles

Black will return to the Armory as a Steel Legend at some point. Benham is on the restricted list, and can only populate in super containers or Santa Crates.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,479 posts
25,624 battles

Considering pulled ship Jean Bart came back temporarily as a -Black ship, anything can happen.

[USCC2]
Members
6,310 posts

Too many asking for Benham to allow WG to consider removing her from the money milking crates. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
3,952 posts
43,402 battles

Well, I must have sold some more Benhams since I ranked out in silver. 

Yeah, Benham is a rare ship. I was so happy to get her that day and is always a joy to sail. I can spit out torps so mean with that ship that in a Ranked match I plugged a BB continuously in the rear repeatedly as it ran away. It flooded, slowed down, I fired more in and more went in  the stern. 

Players were looking the other way as that BB probably saturated , but I kept putting them in there until it sank. 

I won't say how many, or the type of BB. But if you see a stray torpedo in your match, then that is probably mine. 

Just dodge it if you can, but they do tend to find the stern of ships really well.

Benham is a favorite of many players and when they see me in one, I do get looks of envy.  

I wish WG would sell it. But technically it is a wee bit dangerously OP. 

If they did put it up for sale, it would be bought and we would see Benhams everywhere.

65 second reload 70 plus knot torps. A turn radius that makes a Mini Cooper  dizzy. 

I drive mine like I stole it.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,395 posts
10,744 battles
5 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Even Smolensk isn't listed as a Rare ship despite being pulled from availability. 

I’m of the opinion that Smolensk truly was pulled due to being too popular, in no small part because I never had any problem countering them. Regardless, even if she was pulled for over-performance, I do not doubt we will be seeing the ship again. It just so happens that the skill rework reigns in cruisers with low caliber guns, and Smolensk is now stuck with ~16 km range.

5 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I'm curious if any of the current ships on the chopping block - Georgia, Alaska, Massachusetts, and Smaland - end up in the halls of rare OP ships of yore

I expect MA and AK will still have limited availability, if only in the form of their “B” versions. I fully expect both along with JB Black to be available again this November. WG stands to make too much money, if the number of people who grabbed a Jean Bart B is any indication.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,800 posts
9,384 battles

I want to be clear that my pessimism about Benham returning for availability is because she is a rare ship, and by that I mean Rare and not rare. If you go into the captain's log in your game client and check your premium ship collection, Rare ships are highlighted in gold and seem to only be those ships that have been removed from availability from anything but Santa crates and supercontainers. Some aren't available even in those. Most were extremely limited release, like the alpha and beta tester ships, or were removed for being OP or having economic bonuses that were too high (Missouri) for what the devs wanted. 

Most of the other ships that have been removed and aren't currently purchasable just show as ordinary premium ships, like Smolensk or the past dockyard ships. I suspect these may be available again in the future.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,794 posts
2,658 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Considering pulled ship Jean Bart came back temporarily as a -Black ship, anything can happen.

Black-Black when, WG?

[PTRGT]
Members
431 posts
54,332 battles

I've got both the Black is a very good all round DD, not the best in any one thing but very good in all, when it come out for coal grab it. I saved up my steel and had to use a coupon to get it and never regretted it, even when the announced it was moving to coal I didn't mind since I have so much enjoyment playing it.

As for the Benham  I have it too and I'm happy I grabbed it. Its not the best US DD either, ok guns and smoke but no speed boost. It does have defensive AA. BUT it is a nightmare Torp spammer. If you mount the correct abilities (Captain and ship) you can put almost a never ending flood of them in the water.

I'm pretty certain that why the Benham is going the way of a "Special ship" You may see it for sale once in a while but I think it will eventually go the way of the Kamikaze R and original Bellfast and become unobtainium  :Smile_sad:

[BEA5T]
Members
521 posts
16,888 battles

Just throwing it out there....   But WOWS did bring back a special container bundle "chance" for the so called no longer obtainable "Enterprise". 

[X-PN]
Members
1,499 posts
11,906 battles
34 minutes ago, DeathsStalker said:

As for the Benham  I have it too and I'm happy I grabbed it. Its not the best US DD either, ok guns and smoke but no speed boost. It does have defensive AA. BUT it is a nightmare Torp spammer. If you mount the correct abilities (Captain and ship) you can put almost a never ending flood of them in the water.

Of course it has speed boost.  Speed boost OR DFAA is an option. 

I'll never say Benham isn't good... it surely is.  But OP? 

Only in certain situations....or at least that's what I used to think....

I tend to do just as well with Fletcher, however with the rework, torpedo boats seem to have a new lease on life since it's not as much fun being a high tier radar cruiser anymore.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,479 posts
25,624 battles
38 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Black-Black when, WG?

My buddy that did a lot of competitive and was very good in DDs, when using Black, would sometimes say, "You got BLACKED" when he sank people with the ship.

Some people got the joke, depending on how cultured one is.

Some flew high into the right.  Which is perfect.

[X-PN]
Members
1,499 posts
11,906 battles
19 minutes ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

Just throwing it out there....   But WOWS did bring back a special container bundle "chance" for the so called no longer obtainable "Enterprise". 

The summer sale containers were giving out the OP E with decent regularity, but who knows if that will happen again. 

[REVY]
Members
2,606 posts
14,186 battles
10 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

As said, Black should be returning for Coal.

Benham is questionable. They could do a re-run event for it. Otherwise you have the gamble on a Santa crate. That is how I got mine.

10 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Benham is noted in game as a rare ship, so I doubt it will be seen outside of Santa crates ever again. Many other ships that aren't currently available aren't listed as Rare, only those that have been removed or 'retired.' Even Smolensk isn't listed as a Rare ship despite being pulled from availability. 

Benham is in the same company as Missouri, Musashi, and Belfast.

You forgot Imperator Nikolai

[DVYJC]
Members
3,800 posts
9,384 battles
5 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

As said, Black should be returning for Coal.

Benham is questionable. They could do a re-run event for it. Otherwise you have the gamble on a Santa crate. That is how I got mine.

You forgot Imperator Nikolai

I didn't forget, I'm just not sure how many Rare ships there are, since they don't show up as missing ships in your collection. I have 13 Rare ships, but I know there's at least four more I don't have.

I'd be curious if we could get a list together.

I have: Benham, Missouri, Kronshtadt, Musashi, Kutuzov, Belfast, Fujin, Giulio Cesare, Gremyaschy, Kamikaze, Imperator Nikolai I, Koenig Albert, and Vampire

I know Iwaki Alpha,  Arkansas Beta, and Alabama ST are also Rare. I assume Kamikaze R as well.

[REVY]
Members
2,606 posts
14,186 battles
3 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I didn't forget, I'm just not sure how many Rare ships there are, since they don't show up as missing ships in your collection. I have 13 Rare ships, but I know there's at least four more I don't have.

I'd be curious if we could get a list together.

I have: Benham, Missouri, Kronshtadt, Musashi, Kutuzov, Belfast, Fujin, Giulio Cesare, Gremyaschy, Kamikaze, Imperator Nikolai I, Koenig Albert, and Vampire

I know Iwaki Alpha,  Arkansas Beta, and Alabama ST are also Rare. I assume Kamikaze R as well.

Kamikaze R was a mission back in the day. One of the first grindy ones, though not as grindy as later ones. Really, the only difference between it and the Kamikaze is the camo.

shot-21_01.27_20_16.36-0674.thumb.jpg.930cfc158ab954374e2fde04a9433883.jpg

Looks like 14 rare listed in total, but taking in the Bama ST, Ark Beta, and Iwaki Alpha, maybe 17.

Edited by Lord_Slayer

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
287 posts
5,032 battles

Benham is one of those cases where I was not available for the event and it sailed away

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
On 1/27/2021 at 7:18 PM, Lord_Slayer said:

... Kamikaze R was a mission back in the day. One of the first grindy ones, though not as grindy as later ones. ... 

Yep, them damn pearls ... Remember when it went on sale for a short time.

KamiR.png

[DVYJC]
Members
3,800 posts
9,384 battles
20 hours ago, DocWalker said:

KamiR.png

I would like one, I have both Fujin and Kamikaze, but Kamikaze R has the best-looking camo to my mind.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,479 posts
25,624 battles
10 hours ago, wooserloop said:

Benham is one of those cases where I was not available for the event and it sailed away

The missions to get Benham I remember were really grindy.  I played a lot at the time and I still felt I barely made it.  I was with a bunch of guys on Discord and a lot of guys had to bow out on their pursuit of Benham because it was just too much for them.

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,163 posts
4,249 battles
14 hours ago, DocWalker said:

KamiR.png

I wish I would have caught Kamikaze R on sale, as I agree about her having the best camo. I did manage to pick up Fujin the very last time she was offered for sale. 

If WG actually wanted to make a few bucks they could sell the other Kamikaze skins as alternative premium camos for the 3 sisters. I'd spend a bit of gold on it for sure.

[CWM]
Members
614 posts
6,744 battles

I’m probably the only person who likes the Rogue Wave event. Even use one of the Captains from that event as my forum avatar.  Be ham is a super fun ship to play. All of those torpedos....:cap_like:

[DVYJC]
Members
3,800 posts
9,384 battles
5 hours ago, Cpt_Snafu_Idgaf said:

I’m probably the only person who likes the Rogue Wave event. Even use one of the Captains from that event as my forum avatar.  Be ham is a super fun ship to play. All of those torpedos....:cap_like:

I really enjoyed the Rogue Wave event, too. Lots of fun and also free ECXP grinding.

• Cool 1