You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Are you finding diversity in your ship by ship build?

52 comments in this topic

Members
7,021 posts
21,820 battles

Basically as the title asks? Are you outfitting most cruisers, DD's and BB's the same way? 

I am attempting what could be a herculean task for my account and was curious if most builds are the same per class or did we achieve some new level of diversity, at least compared to before the patch?

Also curious on how you are approaching this, the few captains i can now push to 21, I guess I should be solely focusing on playing them? Getting a few thousand captains xp in each ship now seems pointless.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,435 posts
22,580 battles

Yes,,,,,

BB: dead eye then whatever.

Cruisers: port queens.

DD'S: torp or port queen.

CV: to intercept or not.....

• Cool 3

[VORTX]
Members
559 posts
7,368 battles

I’ve been re-specking almost daily. First we’re major, now are minor tweaks. Most of the builds are similar to what we had before with a couple of additions. Dead eye instead of FP or extra heal in BB. French have been tough. I want to secondary for the LOLs but it’s so useless most of the time. American secondaries feel gipped too. Germans - oye vey. Experimenting with medium range secondaries with long range accuracy. The 10% more damage for cruisers when you are in normal spotting range for my heavies. DD I don’t have anything high enough to take advantage of new skills. AA builds seem to be useless. As expected. 😂

Edited by Pirate_Named_Sue

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,702 posts
14,866 battles
16 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Yes,,,,,

BB: dead eye then whatever.

Cruisers: port queens.

DD'S: torp or port queen.

CV: to intercept or not.....

Expect changes to the skills with the next patch if they don't do a hot fix. Particularly Deadeye because the cost to benefit is way out of wack towards the benefit side.

Interceptor ignores fighters which is a downside on its own and the life of fighters is extremely short. I would see more issue with this if they lasted a lot longer.

Edited by BrushWolf

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,735 posts
4,268 battles

No, not really. Actually less than before. The basic skills I still consider essential (PT, AR, SI, EM) are now more expensive, more so than the 2 point increase. The result is I really need to squeeze the few extra skills I had before just to fit the basic build. Sure, I could drop CE or FP on my BBs, but I still need to take a 4 pt skill to get the main benefit of SI, the extra heal. And dropping CE isn't an option in this meta, and no FP is just asking to be a BBQ with the Thunderer spam happening. Maybe Deadeye for FP, but we'll see. Cruisers are better, but AR costing more still hurts. And forget a decent BB secondary build. Used to be able to run quite a nice hybrid build with MFCSA, AFT, and FP as well as SI which was really useful on fast reloading heal BBs like Mass and GA. But now that extra heal costs another point, and PT and AR are both more as well you're left with having to leave something off, and that's before adding any new skills. My biggest gripe with BBs now is you essentially waste the first point. Used to be you could take PT, a very useful skill at T1. Now you have PM or EL, both of which are nice to have but not essential. So you're picking up an optional skill at T1, and now have one less point to pick up your essential skills, many of which are more expensive now.

Basically the core builds before are more expensive even with 21 points, you still need those core skills after the rework, so the combination means you're never going to have room in a good build for the new skills. It's just really frustrating right now. Add in that the new skills have encouraged a ridiculously passive (whole new levels of camping) and long range meta and the result is the rework is having a definite negative effect on my gameplay experience right now. Part me doesn't want to over react because it's not even been a week, but another part of me doesn't see how thing are going to improve without significant changes. I guess we'll see.

• Cool 7

[SIM]
Members
5,738 posts
9,263 battles

A bit. There certainly seem to be more viable support skills than existed previously, but in the end I’m mostly going with builds that mirror what I used pre-rework. 

[NG-NL]
Members
375 posts
10,294 battles

Because I can no longer get almost every useful skill, I have to decide more carefully which build I want.
In short, I'm discovering "sub-types" for each ship.

For example, I tried an all-offense Hindenburg. Fastest gun reload, most shell damage, most agility...and no concealment. It doesn't seem to work for me, but I don't doubt that with right playstyle, it would be formidable. Utterly bonkers, but powerful.
I traded in some damage skills to get concealment, which fits my style better.

Maybe this will settle out into "this is THE OPTIMAL BUILD" for each ship, like before. I hope not; this is much more interesting.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,435 posts
22,580 battles
25 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Expect changes to the skills with the next patch if they don't do a hot fix. Particularly Deadeye because the cost to benefit is way out of wack towards the benefit side.

Interceptor ignores fighters which is a downside on its own and the life of fighters is extremely short. I would see more issue with this if they lasted a lot longer.

I can deal with dead eye.

What I can't deal with is cruisers with short range...

My poor Smolensk....

Still trying to figure out a Goliath and hindy build.

[SALVO]
Members
26,043 posts
28,736 battles

Are you finding diversity in your ship by ship build?

Not that much.  The must have skills are often still around.  For DDs, I'm talking about Last Stand, Survival Expert, and Concealment  Expert.  There are other useful, but not  absolutely critical skills that can be difficult to not select as well.  

Part of the problem is the critical must have skills limiting your choices and usable skill points.  But another part of the problem are skills that come with debuffs/downsides that make you question whether or not you really want to take those skills.  Fort example, the HE damage buffing skill that has a concealment debuff downside.  Is a little extra damage (+10% HE/SAP damage) really worth a 15% concealment debuff on 150mm or larger cruiser guns?   I personally don't think so, though others may disagree.  Regardless, when WG adds in these downsides to potentially good looking skills, they reduce the attractiveness of those skills for many players who might otherwise select them, which in turn reduces the variety in skill choice.

[SALVO]
Members
26,043 posts
28,736 battles
2 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I can deal with dead eye.

What I can't deal with is cruisers with short range...

My poor Smolensk....

Still trying to figure out a Goliath and hindy build.

FYI, I think that the Heavy HE/SAP shells skill is aimed directly at the Smolensk and other cruisers mounting DD grade main guns, since those guns appear to avoid the debuff downside of that skill.

As for their short range, honestly, I found the Worcester (not really a DD grade main gun cruiser, but close) easier to play without using extended range (out to around 19 or so km),  because floaty shells out to that range made hitting just about anything other than a parked BB next to impossible.  But to go without the  extended range required being able to improve one's dodging skills, or their skill at using terrain as much as humanly possible to mask their ships.

Regarding the Goliath and Hindy, I went hardcore AA skills on both, picking the level 2 and 4 AA skills.  No other skills piqued my interest.  And I selected heavy AP shells for the Hindy and heavy HE/SAP shells for the Goliath.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,468 posts
27,172 battles

Pretty much no.

If anything more destroyers are getting RPF after I reset from whatever (usually) useless recommend skills the update reset put them on.

Deadeye has been DoA. Not one BB has it yet. Maybe if my long range gunnery was worth spit I might feel differently?

Everything else is getting cookie cutter basic 12-ish point builds for lack of any interest in WG’s bells and whistles skills.

Haven’t even pushed anyone to 21 points yet because there’s been no reason to.

My Akizuki driver is the only one even built back to 19 points. Didn’t go to 21 because there didn’t seem to be any reason to do so.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
658 posts
5,327 battles

many new names but at the end of the day i end doing the same old builds from wich many end being inferior to old 19 captain builds.

the only new build i can think of is that anti concealment cruiser build, nothing like turning a nurnberg with lutjen into a t6 smolenks  :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,219 posts

No diversity what so ever.

I think I am down to about 6 ships actively used day in and day out. The rest are essentially port queens, the 50 or so of them.

I am working on operations a little bit a dab of coop to finish dockyard stage and ranked to harvest steel. Nothing has changed materially.

Even if there was skills to pick from its generally HE, Fire, Deadeye and close quarters plus stealth speed boost and usually but not always concealment etc. Nothing has changed. Commanders stay with their specific ship.

All of the gold earned is sunk into expanding empty reserve slots. More spending for that is planned until I have a minimum of 200 slots in reserve. If there is a eventual maximum I will find it in a couple of years.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Cool 1

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
287 posts
5,032 battles

Short answer : No.  Generally the same build.  There can be some other load outs,  but its not really beneficial to the ship. 

[-BUI-]
Members
2,523 posts
6,761 battles

There is always a "best".

With few exceptions, all my build are the same.

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
12 posts
21,759 battles

I had more diverse builds before, mostly Operations builds for certain cruiser's and BB's.  All of those are now impossible to get, but hey,  no one plays Ops anyway...

• Cool 3

[LANCE]
Members
861 posts
6,466 battles

The only Capt I have 21 skills on is Jerzi in my Halland. As for the build, it’s almost exactly the same as prior with the exception of not being able to afford AR. So now, essentially my 19 pt Jerzi was better than the 21 pt is now. The cost to do that was about 12 x 10 pt Capts (unused), 5m+ credits, ~6000 dubs and the EXCP I had left over. 

The recommended skills on most my DD’s where hilarious and I don’t think I even picked 1 of them except concealment. Certainly not playing a DD without SE!

As far as other ships go? I e played around with a few but basically found my old/same builds to more efficient than anything else I could choose. The if-this, if-that skills aren’t useful as you have no idea if they are even active the majority of the time.

Personally feeling a bit cheated as my 14 x 19pt Capts are worth less than they were and most of them when/if I make it up to 21 pts will possibly be worse ... GK is a prime example with a secondary build.

Perhaps the next patch will make some changes that will improve some of the skills. I’ll keep an “open mind” but not banking on it.

Edited by Bravo4zero
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
1,141 posts
9,607 battles

My cruiser builds are actually more similar now than before, the only exception is Smolensk (was using a DD commander before).

My DDs are just as similar as they were before except Harugumo surprised me, the gun skills do so little for her that I am playing with a couple of torpedo skills instead.

My BBs are all the same, even Tirpitz. VERY Glad I didn't waste coal on Pommern. 

I don't play CVs.

After all if this, my builds feel more similar than before the rework. This game is getting less and less interesting each week.

Edited by MasterDiggs
  • Cool 1

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
7,195 battles

For battleships: About the same as before. Technically less variety since I should just be running concealment and dead eye on literally everything. The only reason I'm not is because I refuse to conform. Secondary builds were never optimal, but they are atrocious right now. Particularly non-German or the three USN premiums.

For cruisers: About the same. My builds vary a bit depending on the type of cruiser, but within types they're all the same. The one major exception is Yoshino. I couldn't run a dedicated captain on it before, but with the increased flexibility I can. I have built it into a full damage, no-concealment build. It is very strong.

For destroyers: About the same. I only really play IJN torpedo boats (all the same build) with only a couple outliers.

Edited by AdmiralPiett

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,140 posts
11,173 battles

CV: Mostly just two themes of Interceptor and Strike, although by nation, the strike builds can be very different from each other. All CVs take the same first 11 points, but the rest varies a lot

BB: Only three builds right now: Dead Eye, Full Secondary, and Full Tank. Some of the Dead Eye builds play slightly different and have small variations.

CA/CL: There is a surprising amount of variety in the cruiser builds. Stealth Kite (Japan) is still fundamentally the same as before, as is utility toolbox (American and British CL). The Russians, having lost their Tank skills have joined the toolbox builds. Germans and British CA still have a shorter range hybrid version between Kite and Toolbox due to some of their special quirks. The only new archetype to emerge is what I refer to as the suicide build, where concealment is actively sacficed to pump up rate of fire. This is done with both the French and Italian cruisers, and may eventually overtake the German and British CAs as well.

DD: Traditional Gunboat and Torpedo boat still exist, as well as a DD toolbox build for Radar and Hydro DDs. There is a new variant of AA DD that I am testing in lines where premiums have given me an extra boat to fool around with. However, there is a suicide variant that I am trying on French DD as well.

Sub: TBA

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

The simple answer is no ... but then this change was never really about diversity. 

I've tested a few partial builds copying some of my old skills where possible ... but I keep resetting them back to no skills.

So, I'm playing a lot fewer ships in my rotation than I did before ... many are now just port queens.  FInding it harder to keep my interest up.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,800 posts
9,384 battles
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

FYI, I think that the Heavy HE/SAP shells skill is aimed directly at the Smolensk and other cruisers mounting DD grade main guns, since those guns appear to avoid the debuff downside of that skill.

As for their short range, honestly, I found the Worcester (not really a DD grade main gun cruiser, but close) easier to play without using extended range (out to around 19 or so km),  because floaty shells out to that range made hitting just about anything other than a parked BB next to impossible.  But to go without the  extended range required being able to improve one's dodging skills, or their skill at using terrain as much as humanly possible to mask their ships.

Regarding the Goliath and Hindy, I went hardcore AA skills on both, picking the level 2 and 4 AA skills.  No other skills piqued my interest.  And I selected heavy AP shells for the Hindy and heavy HE/SAP shells for the Goliath.

I agree with regard to the Heavy HE / SAP skill for cruisers being intended mainly for the 5" light cruisers, but the other downside is that's a lot of points to invest for not a lot of gain in a new environment where all the still-critical skills are more point-hungry than before.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,896 posts
16,963 battles

It's going to cause a hard split in my port between the builds I would prefer to take to co-op and the ones I know I should use in Randoms, so there's your diversity right there.  Suddenly having access to a HUGE number of captains that I can spec my premiums out in various ways without having to sacrifice the build they have for their home ship is a major gain for me. 

The only major downside is losing Priority Target as a 1-point skill and having to reserve two points for it. I'm finding that not to be such a downside because it's going to teach me situational awareness the hard way.

I am having HUGE fun playing around with this. I can think of several ways I could build a number of my ship/captain combinations, even for Randoms.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,291 posts

Diversity of build is a hard thing to judge for yourself when its only 1 captain primarily driving that ship.   People tend to choose 1 approach to things & go for it - that's a general truism beyond just this game.  This goes especially for people who populate a forum that in theory has as its primary role to show people how to play better and a playerbase largely driven by CC's  youtubers who have sold people on "play this way to succeed". 

In general, I'm not sure people have realised the power now of having many more captains with different approaches to use on a premium.   This paradigm shift in captain thinking hasn't been talked enough about - the fact that with 4 class builds per captain,  you can set a captain to go one way & try that playstyle & then set another captain to go another way to try that playstyle.   This was not really available before and thus not something people have even thought of.

I will be spending the next few days trying different captains in my premiums to see what the differences are and how I can adjust my playstyle.   This is a bit different for a game that is soooo culturally focused on "must get the most XP  & damage or you are a failure" where the weekly quests drive you to that as well.   Going to see how it goes.

The question WG will be asking & looking at is whether there is a diversity of builds across the player base.    I will once again point out that even if Deadeye is the "must have" people say,  for a large chunk of people, that's been a straight swap for the previous "must have" of concealment.  If anything, having 2  "must haves" at level 4 for BB's now instantly means more diversity.

[PVE]
Members
13,174 posts
27,611 battles

Still a basic set of skills per ship type/nation with a small tweak for an individual odd ball ship (usually Premium). And there isn't a ton of variation even between nations.  Otherwise once you get the basic build for them down it's quick to zip through and change them all. I have 383 ships and hundreds upon hundreds of Captains. I have respec'd them all. I don't like the rework but it is what it is if I still want to play WOWS (and that desire is fast waning).

So still cookie cutter builds but with less value for your skill point, a lot of skills that are worse than before or totally useless, and I actually feel like we have even fewer options than under the old system. It's even more cookie cutter now IMO. There are a couple good new skills I concede but they are far outweighed by the flotsam and jetsam of the rest of the new/updated skills.

Edited by AdmiralThunder