Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shinytrashcan

Slow loading teammates

7 comments in this topic

[TIMT]
Members
1,277 posts
4,779 battles

OK, maybe this is kind of a rant but I have seen this so many times now it really starts to piss me off:

Usually 2-3 people on my team are slow to load into the game. By that I don't mean like a few seconds slow but up to 2 minutes before something happens on their end. This is actually quite a concern for a team as this means that a DD/CA/BB on a flank, or even multiple ships on a flank are way behind their red counterparts when it comes to getting into position. Recently I had a game in a DD where the CA and BB on my flank were not moving until the 18min mark, which basically means I can't push or even approach the cap in any meaningful way since I would have no support whatsoever. Even when they load in they are way out of position and usually the cap goes to the red. Similar situation if you are the BB or CA and your DD is not loading in, though they are usually fast enough to do some catching up.

I get that not everyone has a NVME SSD to play the game from, but regular SSDs are about as expensive as spinning drives nowadays. Is it so outlandish to think that people don't get that they are hurting the teams they are playing on if they can't load into the game in a reasonable time? Am I just unlucky or is this something others have experienced too?

Members
711 posts

You are assuming it is the end users hardware causing the issue. I have loaded quite late and I do have some pretty fast hardware (CPU,SSD,GPU). I think there may be more to it such as slow/maxed out server or flakey ISP connection sometimes.

Members
1,139 posts
1,603 battles
34 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

or is this something others have experienced too?

A Nassau on the the team today didn't move until 6 minutes of the games was past. He woke up just in time to intercept the 3 cruisers sailing into our base...which I thought would be a good thing. And then he still :etc_swear:that up by RAMMING one, so I had to take my Campbeltown all the way back and reset. :etc_red_button:

Members
250 posts
1,475 battles

My ISP sometimes (not often) has connectivity issues, and this has on rare occasion caused me to load late into a game, or worse - lose connection halfway through a game. Neither of those things are my fault, and it really p*sses me off when raging “teammates” act like it is.

• Cool 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,277 posts
4,779 battles
1 hour ago, ItsSubmersible said:

You are assuming it is the end users hardware causing the issue. I have loaded quite late and I do have some pretty fast hardware (CPU,SSD,GPU). I think there may be more to it such as slow/maxed out server or flakey ISP connection sometimes.

Weird, I have never had any issues apart from maybe a handful of disconnects over hundreds of games.

EDIT: Yes, your own ISP might be an issue and if you are living in a region where your internet sucks is a pain. But it also irks me if people play ranked or randoms in DDs, load in 2-3 minutes late and then wonder why everyone is a bit negative towards them showing up late.

Edited by shinytrashcan

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,324 posts

I have been with the same ISP over 20 years. Packet loss is in the realm of about .6% of total give or take half a percent. Meaning all data back and forth from me, my router and ISP to backbone to any one of 9 data centers downtown that they are in turn are connected to several long haul fiber internet indirectly to St louis, Kansas City and Austin Texas.

Lets say the internet blew up which is does now and then when someone cuts the one pole a block from the ISP. (I usually hear the Boom just before losing all power and internet if battery is not live (Cyberpower AVR 1500 which provides orderly shutdown) The smart phone gets tethered to the Computer and turns into essentially a direct fiber optic network straight over wireless. Downloads reach the realm of what I would call 8 or more gig a second Instead of just 800 kb/sec and uploads I can support 7 other computers in real time online gaming as a server. The problem is data capacity. The limit absolute is only 17 gigabyte every 30 days. I require a terabyte every month on our unlimited.

I build computers that are usually FIRST LOADED into a game map and especially in conquest FIRST MOVING. A form of hardware war. The faster your read/write and more RAM, Video etc you have plus CPU overclocking you can actually be in a position to compete. I have built computers in the past that have done very well, but you cannot rely on that long term, they usually burn up in 5 years or so when the capacitors on the motherboards fry.

The game developers have learned to defeat hardware builders like myself by imposing a 30 second countdown for game start. That forces all to equally load and wait. Prior to the learning and implementing of the 30 second clocks, we two or three would be first moving against enemy bases and have capped two or three long before one enemy team out of 64 has finished going active after loading in. The rest of the team spawns and find that they are effectively losing badly if not already spawnraped.

To be honest if you are not loaded and moving within say 90 seconds and need 6, 10 etc minutes to load a map that has progressed way beyond game start you have some very serious internet problems combined with possibly a very cheap computer like the old Emachines or what have you. One thing I have learned about people in general. If they can throw down a 10 dollar yard sale computer laptop that is 15 years old and running below two megahertz on two cores of CPU with a anemic eco crap hard drive spinning at some slow speed they will do so.

Heck, I go to yard sales all the time and buy the dead cable boxes for a dollar. I take it home and harvest the Seagate Enterprise black Hard drive out of it thats anywhere from 2 tera average to 5 tera now. A rack of them saves me thousands of dollars against retail

Edited by xHeavy

Members
711 posts
45 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

Weird, I have never had any issues apart from maybe a handful of disconnects over hundreds of games.

EDIT: Yes, your own ISP might be an issue and if you are living in a region where your internet sucks is a pain. But it also irks me if people play ranked or randoms in DDs, load in 2-3 minutes late and then wonder why everyone is a bit negative towards them showing up late.

I'm rural so ISP problems are daily. It's why I seldom play random/ranked unless I get a few good days in a row and think things will stay stable. No biggy if connection is dumped in co-op, it is a BIG deal for everyone else if it dumps  in the middle of a random/ranked match.

Sign in to follow this