You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

WG Please add this to the list of Skills to rework/fix

26 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
13,195 posts
27,677 battles

Expert Markman (Grease The Gears)

The new flat 20% bonus is actually a nerf to a lot of ships. The slower the turrets turn the less this skill helps which is counterintuitive. The ships that benefit the most from this are the ships that already have a fast rotation. Either put this back to what it was (+0.7 degrees p/ sec) or do something different with it so ships with the slowest turrets actually benefit the most from it. 

Got to be honest here and say the ships with glacial turrets like Yamato for instance don't feel like the gears have been greased they feel more like someone jammed the gears.

With the old EM skill Yamato had a 54.4 turret rotation speed and right now even with Yamamoto as Capt which gives an increased boost to GTG (+25% vs standard +20%) the turrets are slower than EM with a standard Capt at 55.2 sec. 

This needs fixing IMHO

Edited by AdmiralThunder
grammar, content, and clairification
  • Cool 13
  • Thanks 2

[KWF]
Members
5,584 posts
6,878 battles

Just a rule for 30%+ turret traverse for ships with 60s  turret traverse while keeping the 20%+ one for the rest could rectify the issue. That said to play the devil's advocate one could just use the turret Upgrade to further help.

Edited by warheart1992

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,553 posts
4,771 battles

I'm not sure I do agree.  Ships with slow traverse have huge turrets; ships with quicker traverse have much lighter turrets.  But within the bands of the old skill, there was quite a range.  Giant heavy (really slow) turrets would get the same rate buff as lighter BB turrets. I think the 20% is more equitable.

The idea isn't to make slow turrets fast, just to make them less slow.  They're still huge and heavy.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Meh 4

[SALVO]
Members
26,047 posts
28,764 battles
27 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I'm not sure I do agree.  Ships with slow traverse have huge turrets; ships with quicker traverse have much lighter turrets.  But within the bands of the old skill, there was quite a range.  Giant heavy (really slow) turrets would get the same rate buff as lighter BB turrets. I think the 20% is more equitable.

The idea isn't to make slow turrets fast, just to make them less slow.  They're still huge and heavy.

:Smile_honoring:

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,557 posts
5,884 battles
30 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

:Smile_honoring:

Kremlin says you are wrong.

• Cool 2

[CAAT]
Members
953 posts
4,557 battles
40 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

The new flat 20% bonus is actually a nerf to a lot of ships. The slower the turrets turn the less this skill helps which is counterintuitive. The ships the benefit the most from this are the ships that already have a fast rotation. Either put this back to what it was (+0.7 degrees p/ sec) or do something different with it so ships with the slowest turrets actually benefit the most from it. 

Got to be honest here and say the ships with glacial turrets like Yamato for instance don't feel like the gears have been greased they feel more like someone jammed the gears.

With the old EM skill Yamato had a 54.4 turret rotation speed and right now even with Yamamoto as Capt which gives an increased boost to GTG (+25% vs standard +20%) the turrets are slower than EM with a standard Capt at 55.2 sec. 

This needs fixing IMHO

I have been advocating for this change since the onset of this Skills Rework!

Grease the Gears needs to be reverted back to Expert Marksman Values (+0.7 deg/s) OR buffed to 25%. As it stands, it buffs faster turret traverse more, and buffs slower turret traverse less. This is definitely not right! Thank you for posting this! <3

[USCG]
Members
737 posts
22,533 battles
52 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Not sure about this but I feel like the turrets on my Gremy are noticeably slower now than before the update...

[VOP]
Members
939 posts
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

The new flat 20% bonus is actually a nerf to a lot of ships. The slower the turrets turn the less this skill helps which is counterintuitive. The ships the benefit the most from this are the ships that already have a fast rotation. Either put this back to what it was (+0.7 degrees p/ sec) or do something different with it so ships with the slowest turrets actually benefit the most from it. 

This needs fixing IMHO

[VOP]
Members
595 posts
10,237 battles

The turrets on all my ships especially my older BB's are way slower. Noticed this the first day. I too feel that this should be reverted back to the old amount.

It won't make them really fast but revert them to just how they were before the skill debacle.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,553 posts
4,771 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

Kremlin says you are wrong.

Spoiler

bias_in_progress.png.2757deb7bc219f31846855ed1b56f51b.png

[WOLF1]
Members
6,041 posts
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

I tend to agree.  Some are saying it was bad programming.  

From where I sit, it looks pretty intentional.

People might have to decide whether to swing their guns faster *or* get dispersion in the 3rd upgrade slot, instead of almost always getting dispersion.

Also MBM3 vs GFCSM2 may take more thinking now, at the T9/T10 level/6th slot.

Edited by Kesh_Lives

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
58 minutes ago, Kesh_Lives said:

I tend to agree.  Some are saying it was bad programming.  

From where I sit, it looks pretty intentional.

People might have to decide whether to swing their guns faster *or* get dispersion in the 3rd upgrade slot, instead of almost always getting dispersion.

Also MBM3 vs GFCSM2 may take more thinking now, at the T9/T10 level/6th slot.

You know I used to always add rudder speed to my big ol' heavy girls... so I could kick rudder on top of the turret enhancements and really swing them around quickly. Topped with fast reloads, you could have some serious fun.

No mo. 

[GGWP]
Members
7,308 posts
17,198 battles
3 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

This needs fixing IMHO

So some ships get more of an advantage this way where different ships got more of an advantage the other way... 

I'll say this much, this buff reads a lot easier than deg/sec

In other terms, this is the equivalent of asking the reload skills to be changed to -10 seconds instead of -5% of reload. Yeah -10 seconds on scharnhorst is way more useful than -10 seconds on Kansas. 5% of reload on Kansas is more seconds off the reload than it would be on scharn. 

Edited by DuckyShot
  • Meh 1

[OO7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
232 posts
9,856 battles

No matter the case *I hate the names*.  Gun feeder also sounds like a translation error.  

[GGWP]
Members
7,308 posts
17,198 battles
3 minutes ago, ToxicSymphony said:

No matter the case *I hate the names*.  Gun feeder also sounds like a translation error.  

Do you need your tubes filled? 

Members
7,047 posts
21,866 battles
13 minutes ago, ToxicSymphony said:

You don't hate Dazzle do you? I think it's snappy!

Enhanced Camouflage Protection or Acquisition Negation just doesn't have the same ring as Dazzle!

[OO7]
232 posts
9,856 battles
1 minute ago, Pura__Vida said:

You don't hate Dazzle do you? I think it's snappy!

Enhanced Camouflage Protection or Acquisition Negation just doesn't have the same ring as Dazzle!

I sorta preferred Dazzling, but nah, Dazzle's fine.  It's the existing skills that got renamed for no reason that annoy me.  And Outnumbered. Because it was intentionally designed to be useless.  

[GGWP]
Members
7,308 posts
17,198 battles
10 minutes ago, ToxicSymphony said:

I sorta preferred Dazzling, but nah, Dazzle's fine.  It's the existing skills that got renamed for no reason that annoy me.  And Outnumbered. Because it was intentionally designed to be useless.  

It's not completely useless. It's situationally useful on a couple ships on a couple maps in CB with a specific strat. 

[OO7]
232 posts
9,856 battles
2 minutes ago, DuckyShot said:

It's not completely useless. It's situationally useful on a couple ships on a couple maps in CB with a specific strat. 

*only when the enemy sends more ships to that flank and they're also lit.  Not that the provided bonuses are really any use so what's the point xD

Members
3,860 posts
24,455 battles
3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I agree with this, except that WG has made a few exceptions to the IRL "big turrets slow, small (and post WWII) mounts quick.  

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
Members
7,308 posts
17,198 battles
8 minutes ago, ToxicSymphony said:

*only when the enemy sends more ships to that flank and they're also lit.  Not that the provided bonuses are really any use so what's the point xD

Shhhh.... 

Although technically they only have to send the same amount of ships, because your ship doesn't count. But having a skill useful on islands of ice and useless on sea of fortune and never knowing which map you get does indeed make it useless. 

I do really want WG to tell us what percentage of the time it was active on ships that took it in testing. And then I also want to know the winrate of ships that took it and had it activate in battle. 

Edited by DuckyShot

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
4 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

This needs fixing IMHO

As I've said elsewhere, this needs to be a percentage reduction in traverse time, not a percentage increase in traverse rate. 

That way, the ships with the longest traverse times, which need help the most, get the most help. 

• Cool 1

[VOP]
Members
939 posts
10 hours ago, DuckyShot said:

So some ships get more of an advantage this way where different ships got more of an advantage the other way... 

I'll say this much, this buff reads a lot easier than deg/sec

In other terms, this is the equivalent of asking the reload skills to be changed to -10 seconds instead of -5% of reload. Yeah -10 seconds on scharnhorst is way more useful than -10 seconds on Kansas. 5% of reload on Kansas is more seconds off the reload than it would be on scharn. 

That is true. But the way Greased Gears is now, faster turret traverse ships benefit more and slower turret traverse ships get less than before. It is a nerf to the lower tier and older generation BBs. I did not find anything wrong with the deg/sec. :Smile_smile:

• Cool 1