You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
grorg

CV skill rework

18 comments in this topic

[GOOF]
Members
801 posts
6,675 battles

Ok ok I've made my complaint that cruisers skill panel is less than mediocre in my opinion, actually I'm quite frustrated but with this game and being a cruiser main that and a nickel won't buy me coffee 

DD skills are pretty great, bb skills are really good.

I only own one CV the GZ Wich is my port queen so I said let me take a look at the CV skill map

Holy cow these should are awesome!!!

Why does CV Wich is already the most hotly debated and controversial ship type in the game get such an awesome skill page and cruisers get "run away faster!"?

This is outrageous.

It's like we know you don't like this class and feel like you can't do anything to affectively counter them but your skills are getting nerfed and theirs are getting super buffed 

Ok that's my rant, I know batter than to expect anything other than CV apologists swarming this post and feeding me mathematical garbage. 

WG I play this game too.

Edited by grorg
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[-BUI-]
Members
2,540 posts
6,776 battles

AA got stronger as well.

AR, a skill everyone takes, now affects AA where it didn't before...sure you might lose some AA gun mounts, but increase in fire from losing health compensates for that, plus if you're being AP penned its likely you aren't losing mounts at all.     BBs are also taking the AA sector reinforcement buff as there is little else in Tier2 worth taking.    Overall AA is more powerful than it was before.

CVs gained very little, about 500-1000 damage on torpedos (that hit protection), a few hundred damage on AP (which nobody but Germans will take), ability to drop torpedos like 50 meters closer...beyond that, nada.   

So yeah, CVs gained a little, and Anti-CV gained some too.

[PVE]
Members
7,570 posts
23,591 battles
27 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

AA got stronger as well.

AR, a skill everyone takes, now affects AA where it didn't before...sure you might lose some AA gun mounts, but increase in fire from losing health compensates for that, plus if you're being AP penned its likely you aren't losing mounts at all.     BBs are also taking the AA sector reinforcement buff as there is little else in Tier2 worth taking.    Overall AA is more powerful than it was before.

CVs gained very little, about 500-1000 damage on torpedos (that hit protection), a few hundred damage on AP (which nobody but Germans will take), ability to drop torpedos like 50 meters closer...beyond that, nada.   

You skipped at least a couple..."reducing torpedo protection bonuses by 15%" is just 1 right off the top of my head but I remember there being at least 1 other "ignore other ship type protection" skill in there somewhere...but not interested in CVs enough presently to go clarify which 1.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,619 posts
15 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

You skipped at least a couple..."reducing torpedo protection bonuses by 15%" is just 1 right off the top of my head but I remember there being at least 1 other "ignore other ship type protection" skill in there somewhere...but not interested in CVs enough presently to go clarify which 1.

The skill you are talking about is Proximity Fuse and it costs 4 points.  It reduces anti torp protection by 10%, not 15%.  The other one is a 3 point skill called Enhanced Armor-Piercing Ammunition, which adds 3% damage to AP bombs and AP rockets. 

Honestly after putting in some time on CVs in random matches after the skill rework, I am losing more planes and doing less damage by the end of the match, than I was before the patch, with a 21p commander.

I was speaking with a player about AA yesterday and he said "my Atlanta is at least shooting down planes again".

I am not on the forums crying about it, but in practice, not sitting around and Monday morning quarter backing about stats numbers, the skill rework seems to been a CV nerf, if anything.

[SALVO]
Members
6,622 posts
5,231 battles
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

The skill you are talking about is Proximity Fuse and it costs 4 points.  It reduces anti torp protection by 10%, not 15%.

Honestly after putting in some time on CVs in random matches after the skill rework, I am losing more planes and doing less damage by the end of the match, than I was before the patch, with a 21p commander.

I am not on the forums crying about it, but the skill rework seems to been a CV nerf, if anything.

Probably some guys are testing full AA builds, at least I'm doing it, but doesn't mean I will settle for that particular build once test is over. Take results in the following weeks with a healthy reservation.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,540 posts
6,776 battles
17 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Its 10% and I didn't ignore it, its 500-1000 extra damage per torp that hits the belt, that's it, as I already stated.     If a torp hits for 5000 damage normally, and hits 50% protection, it goes 2500 damage, with the -10%, its 40% or 3000 damage, a 500 damage gain.   

There is nothing else that "ignores other ship type protection".

Edited by Zenn3k

[A-D-F]
8,619 posts
2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Probably some guys are testing full AA builds, at least I'm doing it, but doesn't mean I will settle for that particular build once test is over. Take results in the following weeks with a healthy reservation.

Oh for sure, and my builds right now might have room for improvement.  Was just sharing actual experience from a CV perspective, with 21p captains, my numbers in general are less than they were before.

This seems to be a theme with the skill rework, I am not saying that CVs were targeted or are the only ones, just saying that we certainly didn't get any favors.

• Cool 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,540 posts
6,776 battles
11 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I was speaking with a player about AA yesterday and he said "my Atlanta is at least shooting down planes again".

I am not on the forums crying about it, but the skill rework seems to been a CV nerf, if anything.

Yup, AA is definitely stronger all around, bottom tier CV is pretty unplayable right now, and it was barely playable before hand.

• Boring 1

Members
2,288 posts
52 battles

I noticed no real difference in losses nor damage output in the few matches I played tbh both bottom and top tier. Only time I did actually see something was when I attacked a Massa with Lexington torps and dealt an appreciable but still fairly slight amount more damage compared to before thanks to the -10% TDS skill.

So eh, for now I'd say CVs are just as good as they were previously. According to someone else however IJN CVs are have gotten quite a bit stronger thanks to the reduced arming distance on their torps. Haven't gotten around to playing those personally yet.

Edited by El2aZeR

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,063 posts
12,005 battles
22 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Just a question, are you using the Hidden Menace talent?  It's currently bugged and causing planes to take longer to reach invuln, so plane losses are noticably increased.

[A-D-F]
8,619 posts
2 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

Just a question, are you using the Hidden Menace talent?  It's currently bugged and causing planes to take longer to reach invuln, so plane losses are noticably increased.

No I haven't chosen that skill.  The 50% return speed looks brutal.  Thanks for letting me know about the bug though.

[SGSS]
Members
5,559 posts
49 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Your just wrong.  Its 10 percent hand bb have a pulse 10.

There is no magic skill to ignoring anything. 

You have CTS.

[SGSS]
Members
5,559 posts
34 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Oh for sure, and my builds right now might have room for improvement.  Was just sharing actual experience from a CV perspective, with 21p captains, my numbers in general are less than they were before.

This seems to be a theme with the skill rework, I am not saying that CVs were targeted or are the only ones, just saying that we certainly didn't get any favors.

Have you tried with torp arming and sight stab?

I am getting a lot more hits with torp arming faster.  Cannot give up lower flak damage but with torps arming faster I am getting more hits.

Add 10 percent to torp bulge my raw number are up and I can finally do damage to BB now.

Have you tryed torp arming?

Whats been your crazy build but its working.

Members
557 posts
1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

AA got stronger as well.

Oh boy, if I get bombed enough my AA gets buffed a whole 5 percent!

Literally nobody is taking the AA skills, which the rework actually nerfed because now AA skills are separate instead of combined. Go ahead and waste skills on AA only perks. See how that works out for ya. 

Edited by OuijaApologist
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,622 posts
5,231 battles
6 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

Literally nobody is taking the AA skills, which the rework actually nerfed because now AA skills are separate instead of combined. Go ahead and waste skills on AA only perks. See how that works out for ya. 

I'm testing them, taking the chance since free respecs and module demount. Sadly so far I haven't had any consistency of match composition to have any hint on how effective they turn out to be in exchange to the regular build. Tested a partial Cleveland AA build in ranked, looked fairly decent against a Lex, had him semi deplaned by match end but he had me at 1/4 HP, AR seemed to have kicked in to good effect.

I doubt I would keep the build for regular play, but it is early still to form a solid opinion.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,540 posts
6,776 battles
10 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

Oh boy, if I get bombed enough my AA gets buffed a whole 5 percent!

Its from Adrenaline Rush, its any damage, not just damage from CVs.    BB citadels you from half the map for 50% of your health?   Grats your AA is now 12.5% better.

BBs can take the AA Gunner skill without giving up anything, PLUS their own AR.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,140 posts
11,185 battles

I am running AA specialization on a few specific ships where I have alternatives: AA Gearing since I also have Somers, AA Salem since I also have Des Moines, etc. I plan on using these specifically when I division with a CV.

[SALVO]
Members
697 posts
15,353 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

I noticed no real difference in losses nor damage output in the few matches I played tbh both bottom and top tier. Only time I did actually see something was when I attacked a Massa with Lexington torps and dealt an appreciable but still fairly slight amount more damage compared to before thanks to the -10% TDS skill.

So eh, for now I'd say CVs are just as good as they were previously. According to someone else however IJN CVs are have gotten quite a bit stronger thanks to the reduced arming distance on their torps. Haven't gotten around to playing those personally yet.

I haven't noticed any real differences either.  I lose planes and damage when I don't make good runs, not on what the surface ship is doing.  Played an absolute terrible FDR game last night well after I should have been in bed.  Only did 80k damage, but I just absolutely whiffed my first few drops.