Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hukom

Clarification on Dead Eye

47 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,207
[FRR]
Members
847 posts

Hello everyone.

I would like request for clarification about the Dead Eye attack skill, which is defined as: 

Increases the firing accuracy of the main battery if there are no visible hostile ships within the ship's standard detectability radius.

1) What is the definition of "standard detectability radius"? Here's République. I removed all modules, sent the commander to reserve, and removed the camo. The ship's detectability at sea is at 18.0 km. Is this the "standard detectability radius"?

1988178838_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_01.26-21_01_38_02.thumb.png.a466f80b30d7d9e1f0bc31aeba025bc9.png

2) Same battleship, but this time with the camo, the concealment module, and the commander with CE. The ship's detectability at sea is reduced to 14.1 km. Is this now the ship's "standard detectability radius"?

306845345_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_01.26-21_05_22_88.thumb.png.44789538c28d31bc6961a7cab247d2d6.png

3) If République fires her forward main guns, her detectability increases for a certain period of time. What is now her "standard detectability radius"? 


Thank you and stay safe.

 

  • Cool 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,297
[WOLFG]
Members
31,987 posts
9,887 battles

#2 is standard. The 18km would be base concealment, and the last would be concealment when firing main guns.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
387
[SALTY]
Beta Testers
675 posts
7,881 battles

It's the ship's detectability when you get into battle. Counts your camo, skills and upgrades.

Anything that happens in battle that alters your detectability is not taken into consideration.

However, note that it applies if there are no visible enemy ships within that range. A hidden DD 6km away from you will still allow you to take advantage of Deadeye. The moment he's detected, the skill stops working.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,073
[WOLFC]
Members
2,302 posts

One of the reasons why Deadeye isn't that bad for much of the actual playerbase is it really works better with a captain @14 points so you can get both concealment & Deadeye.

If you take it at 10-13, you have to give up concealment.  That's a choice & part of what WG is trying to do here is force people  to make choices.

That having been said, the best way to combat Deadeye is a good stealthy DD who breaks cover  within range periodically.   I've seen it a couple of times now & although it takes quite a bit of nerve to get in and out quickly it can be very effective.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Anonymous50
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
7 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

One of the reasons why Deadeye isn't that bad for much of the actual playerbase is it really works better with a captain @14 points so you can get both concealment & Deadeye.

If you take it at 10-13, you have to give up concealment.  That's a choice & part of what WG is trying to do here is force people  to make choices.

That having been said, the best way to combat Deadeye is a good stealthy DD who breaks cover  within range periodically.   I've seen it a couple of times now & although it takes quite a bit of nerve to get in and out quickly it can be very effective.

 

 

 

 

 

You make a good point that the setup causes you to make trade offs, that's been my experience as well. 

BTW it doesn't have to be a stealthy DD breaking DeadEye, I was using a Helena to break a Georgia's DeadEye the other day by getting on his flank and popping in and out of Island cover inside it's concealment range; Needless to say he/she wasn't pleased about it, it was a fun little cat & mouse exercise.  :Smile_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,749
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,494 posts
14,979 battles

"Standard Detectability" or "Standard Gun Range" are the values shown in port.

The reason we say this is because in battle these values can change depending on certain factors (storms or commander perks that are popped). The value you go off of is the value that is stated in port.

-Hapa

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,073
[WOLFC]
Members
2,302 posts

Wait...so if there is a typoon, Deadeye range  goes down to the Typhoon range?

 

Mini-map targeting capability getting even more important. 

Edited by Anonymous50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15
[KAG]
[KAG]
Members
9 posts
21,354 battles

I wish wargaming would put an icon on your screen letting you know when special skills are active. 

Edited by Internetuffguy
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
3 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

Wait...so if there is a typoon, Deadeye range  goes down to the Typhoon range?

 

Concealment values in port would not = concealment values in a Typhoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,974 posts
43,533 battles

What would be cool is that if you break dead eye on thunderers, that they immediately go googly eye for 5 minutes.

Then while your team laughs so hard that they fall out of their gaming chairs as thunderers struggle shooting only to send shots off the map into another battle on another map, the Thunderer players are angry at those DD players that did sneak up on them.

Only the DD players got complimented by both sides, got their pictures taken, but all the players realize that the DD players also have googly eyes 👀.

We need a googly eyes penalty for Dead eye skill.

This will at least make the game funny and fun at the same time as BBs that have this skill suddenly have dispersion of Mikasa with old Freddy mixed in for good measure. Having a dispersion elipse of 5 km would be a fair penalty.

And it just might spread joy 😹 throughout the servers.

DD players will become celebrities again with fancy Naruto gear and even cooler names.

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
3 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

What would be cool is that if you break dead eye on thunderers, that they immediately go googly eye for 5 minutes.

 

I like it, although IMHO 5 minutes is a bit of a stiff penalty.

Something like "if DeadEye is broken, you suffer a 20% dispersion penalty for the next 15 seconds, can be triggered once every 60 seconds" , would make going in and out of stealth inside the standard detectability range just to break DeadEye much more interesting. :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,932
[ARGSY]
Members
22,995 posts
17,021 battles
37 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

Wait...so if there is a typoon, Deadeye range  goes down to the Typhoon range?

No, that's what he's saying doesn't happen. The standard range is the concealment range you have at the very start of the battle, with whatever mods or talents your ship or captain has mounted when you push the battle button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[REAL]
Members
371 posts
8,140 battles
1 hour ago, Anonymous50 said:

That's a choice & part of what WG is trying to do here is force people  to make choices

lmbo you are so full of ingenuity.

All WG wants is to have a little boost in its economy. Simple as that.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, that's what he's saying doesn't happen. The standard range is the concealment range you have at the very start of the battle, with whatever mods or talents your ship or captain has mounted when you push the battle button.

I believe typhoons *could* have a positive effect on DeadEye since in order to break DeadEye it has to be a VISIBLE enemy within standard detection and given that typhoon cuts down the range at which you can see an enemy ship....... 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
422
[CHBK]
Members
1,041 posts
3,938 battles
59 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

Wait...so if there is a typoon, Deadeye range  goes down to the Typhoon range?

 

Mini-map targeting capability getting even more important. 

No, he literally said the exact opposite.  Standard detectability = the ships detectability in port before you click battle.  That will be the range factored in game, regardless of special events.  

Edited by Taco_De_Moist
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,974 posts
43,533 battles
28 minutes ago, WaywardVariable said:

I like it, although IMHO 5 minutes is a bit of a stiff penalty.

Something like "if DeadEye is broken, you suffer a 20% dispersion penalty for the next 15 seconds, can be triggered once every 60 seconds" , would make going in and out of stealth inside the standard detectability range just to break DeadEye much more interesting. :Smile_teethhappy:

Okay, seems fair enough.

But I think you are being a tad nice to Thunderer and Conqueror players.

Maybe a wee more than a tad, like maybe a Tod.

Tod, Tod, Tod, Tod.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
6 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Okay, seems fair enough.

But I think you are being a tad nice to Thunderer and Conqueror players.

Maybe a wee more than a tad, like maybe a Tod.

Tod, Tod, Tod, Tod.

I don't know about that, which is worse 5 minutes of googly eyes OR having some sneaky bastage pop his head up every time you think AHA! My DeadEye is BACK UP!!!!! and break it again ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
387
[SALTY]
Beta Testers
675 posts
7,881 battles
1 hour ago, WaywardVariable said:

Concealment values in port would not = concealment values in a Typhoon.

But, as I stated before, if you're more than 8k away from some ship and there's a typhoon, that ship will not be visible, therefore, your Deadeye will be activated.

The moment that ship wanders into your 8k bubble inside the typhoon and becomes visible, your Deadeye will stop working.

P.S.: Nvm, you corrected yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
33 minutes ago, Kartaugh said:

But, as I stated before, if you're more than 8k away from some ship and there's a typhoon, that ship will not be visible, therefore, your Deadeye will be activated.

The moment that ship wanders into your 8k bubble inside the typhoon and becomes visible, your Deadeye will stop working.

P.S.: Nvm, you corrected yourself.

Gotcha EXCEPT a Team mate spotting the enemy ship in a typhoon outside the 8KM zone but inside your standard detectability range would still cause your DeadEye to de-activate, right?

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
387
[SALTY]
Beta Testers
675 posts
7,881 battles
2 minutes ago, WaywardVariable said:

Gotcha EXCEPT a Team mate spotting the enemy ship in a typhoon outside the 8KM zone but inside your standard detectability range would still cause your DeadEye to de-activate, right?

That is actually an excellent question.

The way things are worded, one might assume it means a ship visible to you inside your detect....or it might mean a ship visible to anybody else.

But I think someone tested it on the first day and discovered that ships inside your detectability, visible on the minimap and rendering, but obstructed from your view by an island, did not cause Deadeye to deactivate.

Having official confirmation would be nice, since I think that's the last standing question regarding the functionality of the skill.

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
7 minutes ago, Kartaugh said:

That is actually an excellent question.

The way things are worded, one might assume it means a ship visible to you inside your detect....or it might mean a ship visible to anybody else.

But I think someone tested it on the first day and discovered that ships inside your detectability, visible on the minimap and rendering, but obstructed from your view by an island, did not cause Deadeye to deactivate.

Having official confirmation would be nice, since I think that's the last standing question regarding the functionality of the skill.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying that! Good to know for us sneaky ankle biters that like to antagonize BB's by sticking our thumb in their DeadEye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,277
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,297 posts
19,212 battles
3 hours ago, Anonymous50 said:

That having been said, the best way to combat Deadeye is a good stealthy DD who breaks cover  within range periodically.   I've seen it a couple of times now & although it takes quite a bit of nerve to get in and out quickly it can be very effective.

One tactic I've seen a few times is for DDs to push the flanks to spot ships for friendly Deadeye shots, and then break cover to deny the enemy Deadeye shots.  When engaged, they either smoke or go quiet.  Rinse repeat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,992
[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
17,348 battles

Concealment value in port = your concealment value after you install concealment equipment, camo and skill?????? 

What it shows in port is after all the above are applied and not the standard concealment beforehand. So which is it?

Since there's no indicator on the screen there's no way to know if it's working or not. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
387
[SALTY]
Beta Testers
675 posts
7,881 battles
3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Concealment value in port = your concealment value after you install concealment equipment, camo and skill?????? 

What it shows in port is after all the above are applied and not the standard concealment beforehand. So which is it?

Since there's no indicator on the screen there's no way to know if it's working or not. 
 

The first one.

Standard detectability takes into account Camo, Skills and Upgrades, but no battle actions (such as shooting bloom).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×